The Joker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
back on topic...

Many Movie Theaters Decide to Leave the Bat Signal on Till Dawn

LOS ANGELES — “The Dark Knight” just spilled over into early morning.

In a frenzy, fans have bought so many late-night tickets for the July 18 opening of the next Batman movie that theaters in places like San Diego, Chicago, and even Eagan, Minn., are scheduling 6 a.m. screenings for those who can’t get in at midnight or 3 in the morning.

Movie theaters have sometimes opened their doors at odd hours for their most highly anticipated films, say, an entry in the “Star Wars” series, and midnight shows have become part of the summer blockbuster ritual.

But all-night sellouts far in advance of an opening have come only with the near ubiquity of online ticket sales. Fandango.com, for instance, reports well over 1,500 wee-hour showings for “The Dark Knight” in theaters that typically do not open their doors before about 10 a.m.

“The Dark Knight,” which stars Christian Bale as Batman, is directed by Christopher Nolan. It builds on his “Batman Begins,” which took in more than $200 million at the domestic box office for Warner Brothers after opening to a solid, but not spectacular, $49 million in domestic ticket sales in June 2005. The film also had strong sales on DVD.

This time much of the fan interest has been driven by word of a career-topping performance by Heath Ledger, the Australian actor who died in January. His louche interpretation of the Joker has already inspired Oscar talk.

“In the public mind, opening weekends have been eventized,” said Thomas Tull, the chairman of Legendary Pictures and an executive producer of “The Dark Knight.”

Increasingly, fans have paid certain movie openings — most recently that of “Sex and the City” — the attention once reserved for rock concerts, basketball games or the introduction of a hot product like the iPhone.

About 38 percent of ticket buyers polled by Fandango said in a recent survey that they intended to take some or all of July 18 off to see “The Dark Knight.”

While Sony Pictures opened “Hancock,” Will Smith’s somewhat arch take on superheroes, to a respectable $66 million last weekend (it has made more than $100 million to date), much of the audience had jumped ahead.

According to Movietickets.com, about one in four of the respondents to a survey of moviegoers under 25 polled between June 24 and June 28 said “The Dark Knight” was the next movie he or she expected to see in theaters.

Viewers seeking Imax screenings may have to wait. All of the first week’s showings at Lincoln Square are sold out, except for some 6 a.m. screenings, Whit Clay, an Imax spokesman, said.

Source: NY Times

:drool:

they STILL don't sell tickets here... :mad:

and opening day is next Wednesday... so the real premiere should be Tuesday at midnight... I'M SO THERE !!! :hyper:

The theater I always go to isn't selling tickets yet either, but the same chain in other towns is. Have no idea why. I want to see it the day it opens, I can't wait.

I don't know if any of this was to known to you guys or not, but it was on Wikipedia in the entry for 'The Penguin':

Nolan Series
In response to speculation that the Penguin, with Philip Seymour Hoffman approached for the role, would have a small role as a British arms dealer in The Dark Knight, franchise director Christopher Nolan said he considered the character difficult to portray on film, explaining, "I'd be more excited to have Philip Seymour Hoffman in the film than to have the Penguin. There are certain characters that are easier to mesh with the more real take on Batman we're doing. The Penguin would be tricky."[3] Recently, viral marketing for the Dark Knight included a Gotham Times newspaper, featuring a newspaper ad for the Iceberg Lounge, one of the Penguin's businesses.Prior to the release of The Dark Knight in 2008, David Goyer ruled out using the Penguin or Catwoman as a villain in a future film, prefering to use antagonists from the comic that had not yet been portrayed on the big screen

i'm getting really excited about this movie. plus i found out the theater right by my house is having a midnight premiere on thursday :hmm:

edit: k, i bought tickets! :drool: it's either then or in a week or two after its release. i don't think i can stand to wait :sad:

Last edited:
Just bought tickets for the midnight show at my favorite theatre in Los Angeles.

I'm excited. The only bad thing is that they don't usually show more than a couple trailers, so I'm worried we're not going to get the Watchmen teaser.

Just bought tickets for the midnight show at my favorite theatre in Los Angeles.

I'm excited. The only bad thing is that they don't usually show more than a couple trailers, so I'm worried we're not going to get the Watchmen teaser.

It might get on there---it's a fairly well-anticipated movie, especially for the crowd that'd go to a MN show of TDK.

Ugh, my chances to go to a midnight show or nil, I'll end up seeing it after opening weekend, too.

Oh well, I better get a Watchmen trailer when I go.

That shot of Dent looking completely broken at 1:08 is some powerful stuff. I think Eckhart is going to have an equally amazing performance as the much more publicized Ledger.

Four coworkers of mine saw it last night at a VIP screening, despite the fact that these 4 fuck-os are about as far from VIPs as it gets.....

Anyway, one sent me an e-mail that basically said:

They all either shit, peed in or came in their pants during the film. So, they liked it.

Four coworkers of mine saw it last night at a VIP screening, despite the fact that these 4 fuck-os are about as far from VIPs as it gets.....

They all either shit, peed in or came in their pants during the film. So, they liked it.

Or they're horribly incontinent. Awesome.

Papa LMP agreed to see it with me at midnight and he picked up tickets today. This'll be my first midnight movie. :up:

I'm working out details to see it with two friends on Friday night,but they want to wait to buy tickets so we have the option of catching a later show if dinner takes too long.

the control freak in me is screaming at the thought of not buying tickets prior to Friday. I assume it's going to sell out every damn place it's playing.

I'm working out details to see it with two friends on Friday night,but they want to wait to buy tickets so we have the option of catching a later show if dinner takes too long.

the control freak in me is screaming at the thought of not buying tickets prior to Friday. I assume it's going to sell out every damn place it's playing.

Dude. Listen to your inner control freak. :yes:

Or they're horribly incontinent. Awesome.
:lmao: :lmao:
Papa LMP agreed to see it with me at midnight and he picked up tickets today. This'll be my first midnight movie. :up:

:cool:

Dude. Listen to your inner control freak. :yes:

Yes cori, just do it. Worse comes to worse you go to the theater & scalp them :shifty:

and the banner above this thread today shows...

imgad

Oh, no. I WILL be buying them. I just need consensus on which show we're attempting to see.

Edit: and done! They didn't need much convincing. 7:45 on Friday it is! I'll buy the tix tomorrow morning, since I don't have a printer here at home. Whoot! :hyper:

YLB, glad you and your Dad get to go. Wish your Dad had a cool name, like Danimal's Dad, but whatever.

Cori, take control of that situation.

As for me, if I did not mention this already, am seeing it at 9am on Saturday morning, Imax-style.

Papalump may be a good compromise, but then it sounds like I'm related to Heffalump.

This is like every time YLB sees any movie.

So will he be sitting between you and special lady friend, or is she going to sit in the middle? I mean, at least invite Lance's Mom to even things out.

You? A control freak? I can't believe it. :rolleyes:

:wink:

I'm learning to quash those tendencies when I really don't need to be unleashing them.

It's an ongoing struggle process. :wink:

This is like every time YLB sees any movie.

That's why I wear adult diapers.

So will he be sitting between you and special lady friend, or is she going to sit in the middle? I mean, at least invite Lance's Mom to even things out.

Lady Friend is in London, and if you make a goddamn "Debbie Does Dallas"-esque joke, I swear to God...

Deconstructing Harry was awesome, btw. I'll have to add it to my Woody write-ups, since it's so similar to Stardust Memories, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom