The Joker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
batman-returns.jpg

Is that middle one Michael Keaton's pudge face?

Cuz that NEVER looked good.

Ya wanna get nuts?! Let's get nuts!

Sorry, that's NOT Bruce Wayne.

He's supposed to keep a respectable cover, not act like a wild-eyed freak.

And Alfred's not supposed to let girls into the Batcave, nothing's perfect.

:hmm: there's something about christian bale's batman...i think he does a great job of bringing about the dark side of bruce wayne/batman :hmm:

And the key is his subtlety. There's NOTHING normal about Michael Keaton. He looks like a whack job to begin with. He doesn't look like an old money billionaire, and is SO out of place in formal wear.

Val Kilmer didn't look right either, for that matter. And Clooney...didn't do the "dark" very well.

If I had been casting for Burton's film, I probably would have gone with Alec Baldwin, who was pretty lean and dashing back in '89. He played a convincing psychopath the next year in Miami Blues, and you can get a partial idea of how he would have handled the Bruce Wayne thing by watching 1994's adaptation of The Shadow, which has a similar title character.

If Burton was going to use Keaton for anything after working with him on Beetlejuice, it should have been for The Joker. I think he would have done a great job with that, actually.

If Burton was going to use Keaton for anything after working with him on Beetlejuice, it should have been for The Joker. I think he would have done a great job with that, actually.

And then we could have avoided Jack Nicholson AS Jack-Nicholson-in-paint-and-a-purple-suit.

1140771911-u0cli4-xekow29ytdgrj5npvam1qbz86s7fh3_.jpg

Never rub another man's rhubarb!!!

By the way, I love both Nicholson and Keaton in Burton's first Batman. I think Burton nailed it.

And Danny Elfman's work on the movie is some of the coolest shit I've ever heard in a movie.

And the key is his subtlety. There's NOTHING normal about Michael Keaton. He looks like a whack job to begin with. He doesn't look like an old money billionaire, and is SO out of place in formal wear.

Val Kilmer didn't look right either, for that matter. And Clooney...didn't do the "dark" very well.

If I had been casting for Burton's film, I probably would have gone with Alec Baldwin, who was pretty lean and dashing back in '89. He played a convincing psychopath the next year in Miami Blues, and you can get a partial idea of how he would have handled the Bruce Wayne thing by watching 1994's adaptation of The Shadow, which has a similar title character.

Like I said, I'm a Keaton fan, but he also looks a lot better compared to Kilmer and Clooney's versions of Batman. Although I think Clooney now could really pull it off, he just ended up being in one of the worst movies ever made.

I like the Alec Baldwin suggestion. How about Kurt Russell as Batman?

I've always felt that Batman and The Joker are two sides of the same coin. Both are insane to be dressing up and, in one case, causing, or in the other, preventing crime across the city. That's what makes them the most compelling hero/supervillain combo in comics, in my opinion. With Burton's vision of Batman, Keaton and Nicholson both fit completely - it ain't a true comic representation, but it's damn entertaining and worth every minute of it.

Cool beans.

I'd really like to read some of the Alan Moore/Frank Miller Batman comics sometime soon.

I like the Alec Baldwin suggestion. How about Kurt Russell as Batman?

He's a great actor, but a bit too rough 'n' tumble. Like he has a permanent 5 o'clock shadow. I'm not sure if he could look sophisticated enough.

And yeah, you really need to get The Killing Joke. And Miller's The Dark Knight Returns, which is one of the best things ever to come out of comics. It will make a great film one day after they finish this current trilogy.

And if you haven't read Watchmen, I'd highly recommend doing so before the film comes out.

Russell could look pretty clean-cut while still being a BA (Stargate, Executive Decision). I just like the idea of Snake Plissken as Batman - he'd excel at being a badass with no sweat.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. My birthday's coming up so now I know where some of hat $$$ will be going to.

How about The Long Halloween or Dark Victory?

Holy crap, you said something that makes sense/that I agree with.
well, duh. i'm a genius.

exactly.

and yeah, i just kinda like to pretend the clooney films never happened :)

A little over a month for the movie, so I've gotta ask, which one's your favorite?

If I'm not mistaken Year One and The Long Halloween were both pretty big influences on this new series. I imagine the latter would have more to do with the new film.

Overall, the best one is Dark Knight Returns. Without a doubt.

If I'm not mistaken Year One and The Long Halloween were both pretty big influences on this new series. I imagine the latter would have more to do with the new film.

Overall, the best one is Dark Knight Returns. Without a doubt.

Year One's definitely a heavy influence on the first one from what I've read. The Long Halloween serves as the basis for Two Face like The Killing Joke does for The Joker.

How about The Long Halloween or Dark Victory?

Dark Victory is a sequel to Long Halloween, so go with Long Halloween first.

I'd have to say the essential Batman GNs/TPBs are in my opinion (in no order):

Year One
Dark Knight Returns
The Killing Joke
The Long Halloween

Some other favs:
The Haunted Knight
Hush
Broken City
Dark Victory (seemed to end abruptly from what I remember, but it was fantastic before that)
Detective
Year 100

Dark Knight Strikes Again is a pretty mixed bag, but if you like Year One and DKR, you may as well check it out.

That may have been the nerdiest post I've ever made on Interference. Let's pretend it didn't happen...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom