The Joker - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2007, 05:13 PM   #181
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:16 AM
This site has a little video of Ledger preparing for a scene:

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/myfox/pa...d=1.1.1&sflg=1

Old 08-18-2007, 06:46 PM   #182
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:16 PM
A couple things: I strangely like Batman Returns a lot, despite the fact that I hate Michael Keaton in both films, and most of Tim Burton's films as well. Maybe it's the pathos of the two villains and how well they're played. I don't know. But I think it was a huge improvement over the first film, one of Burton's best 2-3 films, and right up there with Batman Begins.

No, I will never pass up a chance to bash Schindler's List, though I don't think Scorsese would have done better with the material. His obsession with Catholic guilt may have resulted in an equally bad Schindler breakdown.

As for Gangs of New York, while it certainly isn't focused as well as Scorsese's other great films, it has more ambition than almost everything Spielberg's ever done. When you aim higher, as with something like Apocalypse Now, you're bound to wind up with something messy. But there is so much brilliance to be found in that film. So much information about the world it's set in without getting bogged down too much in explaining everything. The fight scene at the beginning is up there with any set piece I've ever scene, with some great nods to various directors (including Orson Welles' revolutionary battle in Chimes at Midnight), and the the climactic showdown is appropriately anti-climactic considering the history that is happening all around it.

Future generations will look back on this as one of the decade's best films.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:49 PM   #183
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:16 PM
Returns certainly doesn't have the re-watchability of Batman '89, but is trying to be something different, mainly aesthetically, Burton's specialty. It's more of a Burton film than a Batman film, which is why it had such a huge backlash.

I do agree with Laz that it is in Burton's Top 3, up there with Edward Scissorhands and Ed Wood.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:03 PM   #184
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:16 PM
the Catwoman story is great... but the falling form the building and surviving part really is TOO much

Rocket penguis rules!!!!

Old 08-18-2007, 07:05 PM   #185
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Hmm, I always thought she was dead and was revived by the cats. It fits into the whole '9 lives' aspect of the story, at least for me.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:04 PM   #186
Refugee

i hope she survived that last blast

and that last scene , wrong umbrella , brilliant
Old 08-18-2007, 08:07 PM   #187
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus

As for Gangs of New York, while it certainly isn't focused as well as Scorsese's other great films, it has more ambition than almost everything Spielberg's ever done. When you aim higher, as with something like Apocalypse Now, you're bound to wind up with something messy. But there is so much brilliance to be found in that film. So much information about the world it's set in without getting bogged down too much in explaining everything. The fight scene at the beginning is up there with any set piece I've ever scene, with some great nods to various directors (including Orson Welles' revolutionary battle in Chimes at Midnight), and the the climactic showdown is appropriately anti-climactic considering the history that is happening all around it.

I do not see eye to eye with Lazarus on everything, but, I whole heartedly agree with this. I love this film, and as much of a mess as it can be at times (Apparently, the Weinsteins messed with a lot of it), it's still a great film, in my opinion. Lewis' performance is riveting; you cannot take your eyes off of him. I love this movie and rewatch it every year or so, and always will.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:06 PM   #188
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by No spoken words

I do not see eye to eye with Lazarus on everything, but, I whole heartedly agree with this. I love this film, and as much of a mess as it can be at times (Apparently, the Weinsteins messed with a lot of it), it's still a great film, in my opinion. Lewis' performance is riveting; you cannot take your eyes off of him. I love this movie and rewatch it every year or so, and always will.

Which brings up a good point; I wonder how many people bothered to see it more than once. It's a really, really dense film, and impossible to absorb completely on one viewing. While the scenes that don't fully work don't necessarily get any better (like the last one), I think there are many little things that you catch on subsequent experiences.

It only takes the first, however, to recognize the supreme glory of Daniel Day-Lewis' work, which I think is in the top 5 screen perfs of all time.

Despite the liberties taken with some of the timelines (the real Bill the Butcher was dead long before the draft riots), you could show this as a teaching aid to students, who I think would be a lot more enthusiastic about this period in American History.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:14 PM   #189
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
Hmm, I always thought she was dead and was revived by the cats. It fits into the whole '9 lives' aspect of the story, at least for me.
She was revived.

I love Batman Returns, it's the best out of the first batch of Batman films, IMO. And yes, the Catwoman story is a huge part of that for me, but I love Burton so that factors in as well.

Winnie, the last scene suggests that she did
Old 08-18-2007, 10:16 PM   #190
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

I loved seeing Pee-Wee and Simone from Pee-Wee's Big Adventure as the Penguin's parents at the very beginning of the film. A great nod to fans on Burton's part.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:18 PM   #191
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
I loved seeing Pee-Wee and Simone from Pee-Wee's Big Adventure as the Penguin's parents at the very beginning of the film. A great nod to fans on Burton's part.

I love so many things about that film. I should watch it right now.

Selena's transformation scene is fucking awesome.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:21 PM   #192
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Most def.

I love how she randomly backflips out of the alley after she beats the shit out of the mugger.

And Michael Keaton's still Batman, guys. That's cause enough to celebrate. It was a full 3 years until Iceman *bite* was a stiff Batman.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:35 PM   #193
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus

Which brings up a good point; I wonder how many people bothered to see it more than once. It's a really, really dense film, and impossible to absorb completely on one viewing. While the scenes that don't fully work don't necessarily get any better (like the last one), I think there are many little things that you catch on subsequent experiences.

It only takes the first, however, to recognize the supreme glory of Daniel Day-Lewis' work, which I think is in the top 5 screen perfs of all time.

Despite the liberties taken with some of the timelines (the real Bill the Butcher was dead long before the draft riots), you could show this as a teaching aid to students, who I think would be a lot more enthusiastic about this period in American History.
I think I read that the scenes towards the end are where the Weinsteins butted in the most. The radio voice over, especially, was done at their insistence.

And, yes, I definitely caught things the 2nd time around, or 3rd, that I did not pay heed to initially.

I'm admit that I'm biased, though, I'm a pretty huge Scorcese fan.

Lazarus, out of curiosity, which 4 performances would you say round out your Top 5? I agree that Day-Lewis' work belongs on that list, would love to hear your others.

I like Batman Returns, but, not as much as you guys seem to. I like Batman Begins best of all Batman films, there is not even a close 2nd for me. Very high hopes for Dark Knight.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:53 PM   #194
Blue Crack Addict

Two things:

That video Wayne posted is awesome. Ledger's Joker is going to be fantastic.

And secondly, Gangs of New York was a mess. But I really do love it anyway. It's a shame Scorsese doesn't do director's cuts, because that one film that really could benefit from one (and maybe digitally replace Cameron Diaz with...well, anything would be an improvement). It's totally Daniel Day-Lewis that keep me coming back to the film though. He chews scenery like its bubblegum, and completely dominated every frame he's in. I'd glady watch a 10-hour version of that film just to see more Bill The Butcher, he's simply that amazing.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:09 AM   #195
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Having fun with the changing weather in Illinois...and wanting to meet Bono again. Please...for christ sakes call me Weldy!!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by waynetravis
This site has a little video of Ledger preparing for a scene:

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/myfox/pa...d=1.1.1&sflg=1
I local news sometimes

Tags
batman, heath ledger, the dark knight, the joker