The Irrelevant Games

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
goes by the name Commonwealth games

what a total W.A.S.T.E of time, and money, it parallels the Goodwill games in terms of how frivilous and trivial it is

i mean the costs that go into running these games and the amount of people attending, lack of sponsorship and corporate support means this 'event' should have been called off a decade ago

there was a time when Australia used to be a small country looking to top the motherland England, now its just POINTLESS!

i mean the only thing that is worth any excitement is seeing an Australian get beaten by an insignificant nation over a medal they should have easily won

ok, its good for kids who still think the australian 'backs to the wall' spirit in competition is there, but when its pretty darn obvious that australia will win gold for every single event, you start scratching your head why are australia going into international standard sports competition and act like a big brother picking on a weaker little brother

or another scenario is the australians are vultures looking to pick off dead meat off this carcass called C-O-M-P-E-T-I-T-I-O-N

just my two cents

CrashedCarDriver said:

what a total W.A.S.T.E of time, and money, it parallels the Goodwill games in terms of how frivilous and trivial it is

:lol: :up: :lol: :up:

I guess there's 2 ways to look at it. The Commonwealth Games are a good opportunity for some athletes to get a medal from an international level they may not get at the Olympics.

But then, the Olympics show us we are not the athletic superstars we think we are.

personally why couldnt they get "Countries" like Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England as separate countries rather than compete as 'Great Britain' in the Olympics?

William Wallace would turn in his grave

oh yeh another thing is, is money not an issue for the Commonwealth Games?

its odd how they are rather tightlipped about their finances

anyway i think its ludicrous how a local tv station here has put aside all the prime time shows in order to make the Commonwealth Games the main feature for 10 days, NOBODY is watching!

CrashedCarDriver said:

i mean the costs that go into running these games and the amount of people attending, lack of sponsorship and corporate support means this 'event' should have been called off a decade ago

there was a time when Australia used to be a small country looking to top the motherland England, now its just POINTLESS!

i mean the only thing that is worth any excitement is seeing an Australian get beaten by an insignificant nation over a medal they should have easily won

ok, its good for kids who still think the australian 'backs to the wall' spirit in competition is there, but when its pretty darn obvious that australia will win gold for every single event, you start scratching your head why are australia going into international standard sports competition and act like a big brother picking on a weaker little brother

or another scenario is the australians are vultures looking to pick off dead meat off this carcass called C-O-M-P-E-T-I-T-I-O-N

just my two cents

why cant u be :silent: if u dont like CW games

Does anyone know what the Haka really means? When the Kiwis walked past the queen they stopped to perform it for her. And Bruce. Damn Spackavaney says, "Gee, isn't that a nice compliment for the queen to get?" Bruce McAveney shits me. The haka is generally known as a war cry. Its most often performed by the All Blacks and the NZ soldiers. I would not feel special if someone stopped and did it in front of me. I would run.

Ha = Breath Ka = To ignite, to energise
Ka mate Tis death
Ka mate Tis death
Ka ora Tis life
Ka ora Tis life

yes isn't it a dance to intimidate and let the "other side" know who's boss?

that is a big odd

Bruce Mcavaney is a moron. Anyone ever see Rob Sitch do him on The Late Show? Classic stuff.

zooropamanda said:
Bruce Mcavaney is a moron.

I don't think he's a moron, he just blows sporting events out of all proportion at every opportunity. :D

I think his quote about the haka was 'there can be no greater honour' :rolleyes:

No betty, he IS a moron, he sleeps for 2 years only to wake for every Olympic and Commonwealth games. At which, he goes for 2 weeks without sleep.

I swear, everytime I turn on channel 7, there he is. Making some new jackass comment fool of himself.

Have you heard Billy Birmingham's Bruce 2000? You will pee your pants.

Yes the Com games are a bit irrelevant these days arnt they, I mean they are interesting to watch, but really it does get a little boring watching the Aussies win every single event, now this aint our fault, the Aussie athletes cant help it if there are no other countries there to challenge them, I mean when you see Aussies getting gold in gymnastics you know that something is not quite right.....but hey I love watching the swimming though and seeing how much of a freak Thorpey is, and I wonder if the guy who was standing next to his Mum the other night was , wait for it his boy friend?????? when will he ever make it all official, anyway I think the guys on the Panel said it all very well last night when they were talking about the com games, they do seriously need an overhaul anyways and Zoomanda Rob doing Bruce on the late show was very funny, good ol Rob was truly the master of the comedic immatation- why isnt that show on anymore????

so any bets on how many medals the Aussies will win- 150+ I am going for:)

betty betty betty

D'ya really think he comes up with all this shit himself? Case in point, all his 'fascinating' tidbits on each country as they entered the stadium. All written by researchers.

My butt is more encyclopedic than his melon.
:tongue:

bwahaha angie

and what a melon it is :lol:

id love to name all the athletes names beginning with k...and i will...

that aint the quote but tis close enough, i gotta get my late show vids out.
Mahatma STOLE 'Like a Tiger' from Robbie.

Last edited:
lol- like a tiger!!!!!

hmmmm I miss the late show sooooo much, me thinks that we should start up a Late Show appreciation thread, now just thining back some of my fave moments include,

piss weak world
champagne comedy!
oriental shitscared
each and every vox pop that Mick and Tony did
bargearse
:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom