The Interference Symphonic Album Mini-Game Sign-up and Rules Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Screwtape2

Blue Crack Addict
Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Dr
The Interference Symphonic Album Mini-Game

This is the mini-game between the current Desert Island Game and the next. Your goal is to create a concept album 60-80 minutes long. Each is required to have a title, cover and concept. It should flow and be cohesive like a real album. You will be judged on how well you do that as well as how creative it is. The one artist limit applies but the no repeat tracks rule does not. You will have until the end of August to submit your entry for this mini-game. It will also feature critic's choice awards.

If you don’t know what a concept album is or would like some examples:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concept_album

THE RULES
1. Your album must be between 60-80 minutes in length. ANY ENTRY not following that time limit WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY DISQUALIFIED.
2. You may only use ONE song by any particular artist. In this rule, we are concerned with one continuous song; if the song is split into separate tracks or movements (e.g. to fit on vinyl), all tracks or movements may be included. However, if you wish to do this, please clear it with the organizers first. For the sake of this tournament, Passengers will be considered to be a separate artist to U2.
3. Every selection must appear on an OFFICIAL RELEASE by that artist. It may be any form of release: album, single, official live release, rarities box set, iTunes only release, or even a free track from the artist's official site. Unreleased tracks (e.g. U2's Mercy) and live bootlegs are not allowed ("official bootlegs" by bands such as Pearl Jam are permitted).
4. Tracks may not be edited/shortened in any way, e.g. you may not cut off the fade up section at the beginning of U2's Exit. You must use the official album run time. In the case of One Tree Hill, however, you may use either version (the misprinted version without the coda or the correct version with the coda). Naturally, this rule does not apply to official edits covered by rule #3, such as radio edits. Furthermore, you may edit a track to remove a separate hidden track at the end, e.g. Transatlantic's Stranger In Your Soul.
5. The album must be creative or artistic in the sense that it is obvious that you put effort into it. This is an easy thing to follow as you need only to include our requirements further down the post.
6. Any entry that violates one of these rules or pushes one of these rules is subject to being banned from the competition.

READ THE NEXT PARAGRAPH
IT IS VERY IMPORTANT
For this competition, please do NOT post your entries in this thread. Please e-mail them to both Axver at amakaxver@gmail.com and Screwtape at InaKafkaTragedy@aol.com

Here's what we require from you:
1. Your tracklisting. See below for formatting.
2. Links to uploads of your tracklisting so that others may hear the music they do not know. Although optional in the past, this is now mandatory, and if you cannot do uploads, do not bother entering. We recommend uploading your tracklist in ZIP folders (usually 3, as there is a 100MB file size limit) to Media Fire.com (remove the space).
3. A paragraph or last writing of some sort explaining your concept with any additional details on your tracklisting, e.g. why you made the choices you made, any important facts you wish to note, why you think people should vote for your tracklistings, etc.
4. A cover for your tracklist, and any other additional materials you believe are essential to the full package. Please provide a stable link to the cover image on a picture hosting website.
5. A title for your tracklist.

FORMATTING - READ CAREFULLY
We require submissions to use the following format EXACTLY (for goodness' sake, I say this every time and I still have to edit some submissions). The format, which is very easy to follow, is:

Forum name: [Your Interference name here]

Tracklist:

TRACKLIST TITLE (if you give it one)

Track #. Band Name - "Song Title" - Album Name (Time in Minutes:Seconds)
1. Please - "Follow This Format" - Thank You (20:15)
2. It Helps A Lot - "If You Follow This" - To The Letter (10:45)
3. Life Is Easier - "When People Do" - What Is Asked In The Rules (15:00)
4. Rules - "Are Not Hard" - To Follow (15:30)
5. Grammar, Punctuation, And Order - "Should Be Just Like They Are" - In This Example (7:15)
6. Thank You Very Much - "In Advance" - For Adhering To This Style! (43:20)

Total runtime: 112:05

DEADLINE
All submissions MUST be made by the 1st of September 2007. The master list will be posted at that time and the competition will begin the next Saturday. You may submit items separately, e.g. you do not have to provide upload links the second you submit your tracklisting, but you must have all submissions made by that deadline.

CONTESTANTS
This tournament will have sixteen contestants admitted on a first come, first served basis. Contestants will be divided into four groups of four and the top two from each group will proceed to the quarter-finals. A seeding system managed by Screwtape will be determined later.

To register your intention to compete, add your name to the following list:

1. Axver
2. Screwtape2
3. COBL_04

I think that's everything. Got a question? Ask away and we'll be more than happy to clarify details!

Good luck!

Count me in this one, too.

I've been working on a concept album for a bit, so this sounds like the perfect chance to show it off.

I'd like to sign up

Missed out on the Desert Island 3 so I guess this is my chance to *shine :wink:

*shine: get knocked out in first round

Question: Can this playlist be re-used in the next Desert Island comp?

Irishteen said:
Missed out on the Desert Island 3 so I guess this is my chance to *shine :wink:

*shine: get knocked out in first round

*that'll make two of us. :wink:

I think I'll give this a shot too, sign me up. :)

I hate your Rule 2. I decided to try it out anyway and it's really working out. Oh well.

Screwtape2 said:

Yeah, I don't have the time to come up with a new playlist. Besides, I'm burned out on the whole thing...after putting together everything for DI3, I then went ahead and made an entirely new playlist for DI4 by scratch. And now to have to make an extremely artistic playlist for this? I'm not so sure. :sigh:

I'm in.

I threw together a cool little concept album last night while downloading some Desert Island lists. It's nothing mindblowing, but it's got a cool catchy concept, and it a blast to listen to. This should be fun as well. :)

Actually, I take that back. I just found a great playlist in my computer that I can use. Count me in. :hyper: I don't mind joining; I just didn't want to have to make something from scratch.

How do I convert an MP3 in iTunes to ZIP? Then how would I upload?

I'm in if there's an easy way to do this.

I just realized something; my playlist has no real concept. :ohmy: It originally was intended to be the soundtrack for this movie idea I came up with, but after changing some things around to keep within the rules, the concept has been lost.

Damn it.

Alright, I'm signing up and assuming that in a month's time I can figure out how to get my MP3s to ZIP files and onto media fire. Shouldn't be too hard, right?

phillyfan26 said:
Alright, I'm signing up and assuming that in a month's time I can figure out how to get my MP3s to ZIP files and onto media fire. Shouldn't be too hard, right?

It's not hard at all. And I would help you, but I don't have a Mac, or even iTunes, for that matter. :|

phillyfan26 said:

If you need any help, let me know.

islagia@aol.com

If you create a folder on the desktop, you can just drop all the files into it, bring up the option mention for the folder, and click archive. It zips the fucker right up.

pepokiss said:
this is symphonic, as in NO LYRICS ??

Screwtape or someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that lyrics are completely fine.

I think "symphonic" isn't supposed to be read literally. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom