The Interference Symphonic Album Mini-Game Sign-up and Rules Thread - Page 20 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2007, 08:05 PM   #286
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:22 PM
You seem to be excited about the entries this time around.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:15 PM   #287
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
You seem to be excited about the entries this time around.
I love the entries in the current game but out of the seven I now have...wow. They are very, very, very good. I think a lot of people will be blown away by the creativity and the playlists as a whole. I know I am.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:22 PM   #288
Blue Crack Supplier

Now I'm excited about getting to hear these. September 1st can't come soon enough.

Oh wait, yes it can, that means school's coming.

Now there's conflict.

Damn Symphinc Albums.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:26 PM   #289
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Now I'm excited about getting to hear these. September 1st can't come soon enough.

Oh wait, yes it can, that means school's coming.

Now there's conflict.

Damn Symphinc Albums.
The ones I have by the end of Saturday will be e-mailed out to people on Sunday. You'll get those before school starts.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:30 PM   #290
Blue Crack Supplier

Good deal.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:13 AM   #291
45:33

Local Time: 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2

A loose concept is fine. A lot of concept albums are like that. It doesn't have to be a narrative. It could be an album centered around a theme or location or whatever.
Does that make JT or AB concept albums then? Because JT was sort of centred on the whole 'Americana' thing and AB is centred around themes of mostly broken love type ideas...
Old 08-22-2007, 06:36 AM   #292
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by COBL_04
AB is centred around themes of mostly broken love type ideas...
Just don't ask Axver, cause he'll say, "Achtung Baby has no theme and is not a good example! You lose! Good day, sir!"
Old 08-22-2007, 10:35 AM   #293
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by COBL_04

Does that make JT or AB concept albums then? Because JT was sort of centred on the whole 'Americana' thing and AB is centred around themes of mostly broken love type ideas...
The Joshua Tree is definitely a concept album. Achtung Baby is not. It doesn't have a solid theme.

One could make an argument that War and Boy are concept albums though.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:21 AM   #294
45:33

Ooh I never thought anyone considered any of our albums to be a concept album. Cool
Old 08-23-2007, 04:23 AM   #295
Vocal parasite

Quote:

Just don't ask Axver, cause he'll say, "Achtung Baby has no theme and is not a good example! You lose! Good day, sir!"

And I disagree with Screwtape. U2 has never released a concept album. The closest The Joshua Tree comes to any concept is the "Suite of Death" trio at the end.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-23-2007, 09:18 AM   #296
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

And I disagree with Screwtape. U2 has never released a concept album. The closest The Joshua Tree comes to any concept is the "Suite of Death" trio at the end.
The Joshua Tree has a loose concept but it is a concept album all the same. It has a location and all the songs confine themselves to that place. It is the impossible struggle to understand America. I'd call that a concept.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:32 AM   #297
Vocal parasite

Quote:

The Joshua Tree has a loose concept but it is a concept album all the same. It has a location and all the songs confine themselves to that place. It is the impossible struggle to understand America. I'd call that a concept.
I completely disagree. Streets, WOWY, RTSS, RHMT, OTH, Exit, and MOTD have nothing to do with the US and that's over half the album.

I would define a loose concept album as something like Porcupine Tree's Stupid Dream, where everything is tied together by a common theme. Any theme of America is completely absent from RHMT (UK), OTH (NZ), and MOTD (Chile).

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-23-2007, 09:52 AM   #298
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

I completely disagree. Streets, WOWY, RTSS, RHMT, OTH, Exit, and MOTD have nothing to do with the US and that's over half the album.

I would define a loose concept album as something like Porcupine Tree's Stupid Dream, where everything is tied together by a common theme. Any theme of America is completely absent from RHMT (UK), OTH (NZ), and MOTD (Chile).
I think songs like RHMT, Streets and RTSS are based on events that were happening the US and find a home in the America concept. The United States had dying mining towns, drug problems and has that sense wanting to escape the city after being in a place like Africa. That can even happen within just the confines of the US. I find those subjects very much American in the 80's. Exit is another very American song. The hunter mentality is easy to feel within the openness of the United States. The primal prowl is unique to American art. As for MOTD, the US had a role just like in the events of BTBS. It is the uncertainty of America, the dark side if you will. WOWY is very much like the fear a Carver would feel. The only song not having some relation is One Tree Hill. Overall, it is still a concept album.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:03 AM   #299
Vocal parasite

Quote:
I think songs like RHMT, Streets and RTSS are based on events that were happening the US and find a home in the America concept. The United States had dying mining towns, drug problems and has that sense wanting to escape the city after being in a place like Africa.
But that's so generic that you could apply it to almost any song about almost anything. RTSS is explicitly about the Dublin experience, and RHMT is explicitly about mine strikes under the Thatcher government. I could say that New Zealand has dying mining towns (Denniston, anybody?) and drug problems in its major cities, so in conjunction with One Tree Hill and other tracks, JT is clearly a Kiwi concept album. But I wouldn't seriously assert that, because it's a stretch. I feel the whole "JT is a concept album about America" is just as much of a stretch.

I feel that in the attempt to define JT as a concept album about America, you have to reach to common denominators so low that it's outside what you would really call a concept album. Even a loose concept album should have threads that show the songs have some sort of thematic relation; to make OTH, MOTD, and ISHFWILF, you end up grasping at straws.

Quote:
Exit is another very American song. The hunter mentality is easy to feel within the openness of the United States. The primal prowl is unique to American art.
It actually makes me think of Northern Ireland.

Quote:
As for MOTD, the US had a role just like in the events of BTBS.
Yes, but while BTBS is specifically about the US involvement, MOTD has nothing to say about the CIA's covert role in Chile. And the US had its hand in almost everything. Does that make Blam Blam Blam's There Is No Depression In New Zealand a song about the US? Because after all, the US was much, much happier with Muldoon than the alternative ...

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-23-2007, 08:04 PM   #300
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:22 PM
Quote:

The Joshua Tree is definitely a concept album. Achtung Baby is not. It doesn't have a solid theme.
According to wikipedia, all U2 albums are concept albums

"Perhaps the most obvious example of this is with U2. All of U2's albums center on a theme. The songs all reflect this theme. In concert, U2 create their stage shows to showcase the theme of the album the tour is supporting."

Now you can't tell me wikipedia is wrong