The Interference Symphonic Album Mini-Game Sign-up and Rules Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LemonMacPhisto said:

You're right, ideally it's a combination of both or the person grows to like the music in the unique list.

Exactly. I was thinking of changing the concept of the game from which playlist would you want to listen to, to which playlist would be most worth saving? What would you think about that?

I don't know about that. To me, the best representative of concept and good songs is on the way to winning the Desert Island tourney anyway, and most of the unique lists ranked highly as is.

If it ain't broke...

Logistics question: When I download individual songs they just go right to iTunes so I don't need to worry about it. But for the groups, it downloads the file with all the songs, but I can't find it after I exit out of it the first time. I can still listen to the playlists, but I'd like to know where the song files are going. Does someone know?

phillyfan26 said:
Logistics question: When I download individual songs they just go right to iTunes so I don't need to worry about it. But for the groups, it downloads the file with all the songs, but I can't find it after I exit out of it the first time. I can still listen to the playlists, but I'd like to know where the song files are going. Does someone know?

If you go to Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced you can see your iTunes Music Folder location.

I use the "Copy to Music Folder When Adding to Library" and "Keep iTunes Folder Organized" options to keep everything tidy.

That way you know where everything is. Hopefully that answers your questions.

LemonMacPhisto said:
I don't know about that. To me, the best rep of concept and good songs is on the way to winning the Desert Island tourney anyway, and most of the unique lists ranked highly as is.

If it ain't broke...

I'm just afraid taste plays too big a role the way it currently is. Changing the concept might be a bit extreme but I would like a way to lower the role of taste. With such an emphasis on taste you have a couple playlists having a huge advantage over most of the others. It is something I want to address in some form.

LemonMacPhisto said:

If you go to Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced you can see your iTunes Music Folder location.

I use the "Copy to Music Folder When Adding to Library" and "Keep iTunes Folder Organized" options to keep everything tidy.

That way you know where everything is. Hopefully that answers your questions.

I'll give that a shot, thanks. :up: It wouldn't be a big deal if I had my own computer, but since it's a group one I'm trying to be tidy (as well as not trying to make a big deal of the, er, questionable means of acquiring all this music).

Screwtape2 said:

I'm just afraid taste plays too big a role the way it currently is. Changing the concept might be a bit extreme but I would like a way to lower the role of taste. With such an emphasis on taste you have a couple playlists having a huge advantage over most of the others. It is something I want to address in some form.

Okay, you could throw a tightly constructed Spanish language album at me, but it doesn't mean I'll like it. Taste is gonna rule over no matter what, although quality of the list (flow, mood, concept) should be taken into greater consideration. I'm not quite sure what you can change at this point though, but it's your call. :up:

phillyfan26 said:

I'll give that a shot, thanks. :up: It wouldn't be a big deal if I had my own computer, but since it's a group one I'm trying to be tidy (as well as not trying to make a big deal of the, er, questionable means of acquiring all this music).

You're welcome. Best part about it is you can import a set of songs and delete them and not worry about losing them (they'll be saved into your Music folder regardless,)

LemonMacPhisto said:

Okay, you could throw a tightly constructed Spanish language album at me, but it doesn't mean I'll like it. Taste is gonna rule over no matter what, although quality of the list (flow, mood, concept) should be taken into greater consideration. I'm not quite sure what you can change at this point though, but it's your call. :up:

The statistic that sort of worries me is that the top five for the Most Unique Playlist Award are a combined 4-20. Three of those people didn't even get a win. :shrug:

I just want to make sure this game is fair to everyone. My new ides is this. Normally each heat asks for the playlist you like the most perhaps it should change to playlist you think is the overall best. That might force more attention on the other qualities other than simply taste. :shrug:

Screwtape2 said:

The statistic that sort of worries me is that the top five for the Most Unique Playlist Award are a combined 4-20. Three of those people didn't even get a win. :shrug:

I just want to make sure this game is fair to everyone. My new ides is this. Normally each heat asks for the playlist you like the most perhaps it should change to playlist you think is the overall best. That might force more attention on the other qualities other than simply taste. :shrug:

That statistic is alarming, but it's all about the music being shared anyway; the contest is icing on the cake (hopefully this doesn't sound arrogant coming from me).

It could put emphasis on that, but who says some people don't already vote that way? The game right now is cool with me, but if you think these changes would make the game better, then I'll support your decision. :up:

phillyfan26 said:
Were the awards posted?

They will be posted after the end of the final. :)

LemonMacPhisto said:

That statistic is alarming, but it's all about the music being shared anyway; the contest is icing on the cake (hopefully this doesn't sound arrogant coming from me).

It could put emphasis on that, but who says some people don't already vote that way? The game right now is cool with me, but if you think these changes would make the game better, then I'll support your decision. :up:

I guess I'll wait to hear from Axver and Phanan before discussing further. The contest is secondary but I'd like to see a better chance for everyone to see their playlist do well. :)

I don't know how you could possibly avoid people voting by taste. In fact, we're all voting on taste - just that some of us vote on taste that favours specific songs, while others vote on taste that favours full albums.

The only change I suggest is changing "vote for the tracklist you like the most" to "vote for the tracklist you think is best", but I am skeptical that will actually change any votes at all.

namkcuR said:
Perhaps if you stopped loading all of your playlists up with progressive rock bands(not that there's anything wrong with progressive rock at all) that nobody(generally speaking) in the northern hemisphere has heard of, you'd be more successful. :wink: :wink:

A comment like this just indicates to me that you didn't even listen to my submission. Had there been a prog group in Desert Island III, I would not have qualified for it on the basis of having too few prog bands.

Now, I would have definitely been in a Dunedin Sound group, but that's miles away from prog. It's actually post-punk and proto-indie.

Axver said:
I don't know how you could possibly avoid people voting by taste. In fact, we're all voting on taste - just that some of us vote on taste that favours specific songs, while others vote on taste that favours full albums.

The only change I suggest is changing "vote for the tracklist you like the most" to "vote for the tracklist you think is best", but I am skeptical that will actually change any votes at all.

I want to change the concept. The way it is now is too driven by personal tastes and that's not what the game is about. It is about expanding tastes and musical experiences. This is my idea for a new concept:

"You are stuck on a desert island with several playlists. You can only keep one on the island. In each match, vote for the playlist that deserves to stay."

It would allow people to make their own criteria and force them to look beyond simply taste. :shrug:

Would you be for that?

While that might better fit what the tournament's about, I don't think any votes at all will actually change.

Axver said:
While that might better fit what the tournament's about, I don't think any votes at all will actually change.
‫‬‭‮‪‫‬‭‮҉this is true

Axver said:

I have to agree. I understand what you're trying to say, Screwtape, but in the end, people are going to vote based on what their personal preference is.

phillyfan26 said:
CuteIrishBono is my rival. This means war. First, the mental warfare: I don't think your Bono.

I don't think you can come back from that.

You are going down! :evil: You are going down to China Town! :evil: I am going to tackle you, philly!

Screwtape2 said:

They will go out on the 31st with the final playlists. I'd listen to the other eight until then. :)

I only have 8 songs avaialble for people to listen to? I thought it was 15. Please e-mail the songs that aren't working. Thank you. :happy:

Cute Irish Bono said:

You are going down! :evil: You are going down to China Town! :evil: I am going to tackle you, philly!

The first two are great taunts, but the last one kills me.

"I AM GOING TO SET YOU ON FIRE"

I AM NOW CHOPPING OFF PHYLLIS' HEAD WITH A CHAINSAW.

Ring .. ing ... ing ....... ing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom