The instant classics from A Rush of Blood.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Rush of Blood tracks are "instant classics"? (Can vote for more than one.)

• Politik

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • In My Place

Votes: 20 51.3%
  • God Put a Smile Upon Your Face

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • The Scientist

Votes: 28 71.8%
  • Clocks

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • Daylight

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Green Eyes

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Warning Sign

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • A Whisper

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A Rush of Blood to the Head

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Amsterdam

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters

Achtung Bubba

Refugee
Been listening (again) to Coldplay's A Rush of Blood to the Head, and I've decided that EVERY song in that album falls into one of two categories:

- Very, very good.
- Instant classics - damn near perfect.

Not bad for the second album... :D

Anyway, I was wondering what the other Coldplay fans thought are the "instant classics" on the album, what songs stand higher than the others.

My choices?

- In My Place
- The Scientist
- Green Eyes
- Warning Sign

Politik, Daylight, and Amsterdam almost made this list - but I tried to keep it reasonably short. :)

I tell ya, choosing favorite tracks on this album is like picking a favorite Star Wars movie...

Bubba

the only song I consider great is "In My Place," thus, that's the only one I voted for

picking a favorite Star Wars movie is easy, Empire Strikes Back

tough choices

I kept mine reasonably short also, giving :

1.) The Scientist
2.) Clocks
3.) Warning Sign
4.) Amsterdam

the nod. These four songs are totally different, but move me a lot. "In My Place" was almost on here, but it couldn't quite beat out "Warning Sign" in my opinion (the chorus' "and the truth is... I miss you" gets me every time).

The piano work is amazing on this album, and more obvious on here than "Parachutes". I mean I can think off the top of my head that "Trouble" and "Everything's Not Lost" had Chris playing piano, and "Don't Panic", but most of the other songs don't have a standout piano (correct me if I'm wrong ;) )

I have one statement that most Coldplay fans will agree with : This album is freakin awesome.

Frankly,

I love every song on this album. I am seeing them again tonight in Baltimore and I can't wait.

My favs are:
Politik
The Scientist - tops my list I think
Clocks
Warning Sign

I love The Scientist, it just bugs me the main lyrics are the same exact lyrics from Sheryl Crow's "No One Said It'd Be Easy." But, I still like the music from it. That, and Clocks has grown on me.

First I must say - almost every song on this album is or is near an instant classic. The four I chose are based not on necessarily my favourites, but which songs I deem to be the most universally recognizable as "instant classics". A couple of them do also fall into my own personal favourite category:

1. In My Place
2. The Scientist
3. Green Eyes
4. Politik

(I wish I could have included 'Amsterdam' and 'Warning Sign', maybe even 'Clocks' and 'A Rush Of Blood...' -- see I told you every song on here is a classic! -- but I wanted to limit it to four choices.)

As we all know, 'In My Place' has a universal sensibility that allows pretty much anyone in. There's something very true, very ordinary, and very convincing about Chris Martin's pleading, "Please, please, please..." near the end of it. The mood in caught perfectly.

Same with 'The Scientist'. Most people have felt the pain of losing someone, and sometimes feeling guilty because of it. This song is the vehicle to forgivness, and the process of going through all the emotions again in order to finally say goodbye. Beautifully orchestrated.

'Green Eyes' is the classic Beatle's song that was never written - you know, the one that Oasis wished they had written. The melody is classic, without being contrived. The vocals are dead on, with Chris timing the hooks just so. This is a song that will become many people's summer theme song for years to come. Classic.

'Politik' pulls you by the (insert body part of choice here), and takes you into yourself without forcing you to. It just tells you to, and you do it co-operatively. The guitar and drumming towards the end just kind of builds on a sustained tension that evokes all kinds of old U2 songs for me ('the live version of 'Bad' for example). It sounds like a live song done in studio, but still captures the live feel. Great production, obviously. It's such a kick in the arse tune, that it might just be played on radio in North America. That would certainly be a great and beautiful way to "fuck up the mainstream".

This album is soo good I can only narrow it down to......7!

Politik
In My Place
God Put A Smile Upon Your Face
The Scientist
Clocks
Green Eyes
A Rush Of Blood To The Head

Damn this is an incredible album! The band is also doing very well worldwide in terms of albums sales, with the album debuting at #1 or the top 5 or top 10 in nearly every country around the world that tracks album sales. I still think they are a little behind here in the States, but their fan base is growing and its interesting to watch that happen. I first heard Coldplay on a tour of Scotland in January 2001.

I think Bubba starts a new coldplay thread everyday

This is a really great album, but as far as classics Scientist and In My Place will be the only ones - and perhaps Politik if it is released as a single.
The other ones just don't have the staying power.

There's not a whole lot going on in Green Eyes or amsterdam. I especially don't like the choice of chords in the latter; It's actually kinda boring. It had potential to be a lot more beautiful.

10 years from now In My Place and Scientist will be the remembered ones by the populous at large.

Politik is actually my favorite on the whole album. The outro verse is beautiful.

I find with some songs are a little too choppy in their transition from verse to chorus or pre chorus.
That being said, the only song I skip is Daylight and sometimes Amsterdam.

I give the album probably a 6 or 7 out of ten. It may not be a classic album in my opinion, but it IS an easy listener. A nice sing along/relaxer album ;)

A Rush Of Blood To The Head ~ actually took the longest amount of time to grow on me but has undeniably been played more than any of the others..superb track

Politik would be at the top for me if it wasn't for the fact that I adore the last half, but I don't feel the first half matches up as well.

For me this album gets 10 out of 10! I assure you the fans and public do like Green Eyes, especially from what I saw last night at their concert at Pier Six in Baltimore. It was a crowd favorite! Judging what people will like in 10 years time is difficult. I doubt most people who picked up the Unforgettable Fire in October 1984 new how big of a classic 'Bad' would become, or even felt themselves that it was an instant classic.

My faves are In my place, God put a smile upon your face, The scientist, Green eyes, Warning eyes...but i like everything except Daylight.

I'd say In my place is "classic" as far as Coldplay songs on their own are concerned, and a classic in the big picture is IMO The scientist. It's IMO the kind of huge song that only comes around maybe once or twice in a band's career.

I LOVE every single song on this CD. But, my vote goes to The Scientist. It was a toss up between The Scientist and Warning Signs. Those songs send chills up and down my spine and makes me want to cry everytime. They tell a perfect story of how one feels when dealing with a breakup.

these are my top fav:

Politik
A Rush of Blood to the Head
Warning Signs
The Scientist
Green Eyes
Clocks

I know this thread is kinda old, but I just now got the album. (Thanks for the $20 Mom!) :wave:

I just wanted to contribute my "classics."

Politik
In My Place
The Scientist
Clocks
Warning Sign

Yes, that part where he sings,"And the truth is...I Miss you" :swoon:

I've got to say Clocks is probably my favorite overall. I cannot stop listening to this album, and I'm sorry that I was too broke to purchase it until now, but it was just as wonderful as everyone said it was.

I have lost interest in the album completely, oops I shouldnt have said that

but I still love "in my place" and "warning signs," "amsterdam" is good too

i love too many of them to pick....i love the whole album

my favs of all: (damn this is hard)

god put a smile upon your face
warning sign
clocks
daylight

u admit to liking some Coldplay?

The Wanderer said:
but I still love "in my place" and "warning signs," "amsterdam" is good too

Now that's progress! :ohmy: