the indispensable "Just That ONE Song" thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Man

ONE love, blood, life
the indispensable "Just That ONE Song" thread. yes. yes.

we need this.

this is the thread where you post the name of that one song that you just think stands out from the rest. a song that simply has that stuff that most other songs don't have. a song that you'll never forget. a song that makes life worthwhile.

it can be any artist, any period.

please be sincere, that's all i ask.

i'll start:

wilco: less than you think.

your turn

Last edited:
Won't Get Fooled Again by The Who.

I implore you not to listen to this song in the shower and air-guitar until you go limp.

Don't even get me started on the Greatest Daltrey Scream of All-Time.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Won't Get Fooled Again by The Who.

I implore you not to listen to this song in the shower and air-guitar until you go limp.

Do I have to bring up CSI Miami again? Damn that Caruso...

I would probably go with A Day In The Life for the "AHHHHHHHHH's" alone, gives me the spine tingles everytime...

Incident on 57th Street - Bruce Springsteen.

Just takes me away when I need to escape. :love:

R.E.M. - Find The River

somehow, to me it really feels like a river too, that song. slow bits, faster bits, deep, full passages and shallow waters.
Mils and Berry on backing vocals (just ooooh-oooohs) and Stipe's soothing voice over that, going up and down. Lyrics meaning everything at the same time. This song, closing the album after Man on the Moon and Nightswimming is perfect. nothing will ever top it.

I think the piano does it.

Let Down- Radiohead

"There's a kind of teeter-tottering going on in the song, and one of the things
that makes me like it best is that it goes on in the actual music and in the lyrics.
It's like it's a person torn between pessimism (when it comes its so so disappointing,
crushed like a bug in the ground, etc)
and hope for the future (one day I am gonna grow wings, you'll know where you are with, etc).

Then, the vocals split and you actually have both of them going on at the
same time, one in each ear, and it's like it's a battle for which one is going to
win out. I think the hopeful one does, mostly because of the music."

:drool:

Sort of like Bono, I don't really believe in the concept of "one". I think it would be very dull if there were only one, and I LOVE every song already nominated.

Ok, so curmudgeoness aside, I'll go with:

Led Zeppelin - Rock 'N Roll

They said it all with 2 words and a conjunction! (And they kicked some serious fucking ass while saying it!!!!)

Last edited:
elevated_u2_fan said:

Do I have to bring up CSI Miami again? Damn that Caruso...

I would probably go with A Day In The Life for the "AHHHHHHHHH's" alone, gives me the spine tingles everytime...

David Caruso is probably the funniest man on primetime television.

LemonMacPhisto said:

:drool: :drool: :drool:

If it HAS to be just ONE song out of the several gazillion awesome songs that I know then...

One - U2

Classic, beautiful and meaningful to me in every way! We carry each other, sisters brothers! :love:

bayou12780 said:
Bruce - Thunder Road

I have never understood the appeal of this song. So many people absolutely love it, and it just does nothing for me. I skip it almost every time. I know the lyrics are supposed to be great, but the music and vocals just do absolutely nothing for me. It's just kind of blah and boring to me.

What am I missing? Is there some great secret to this song that I'm just not getting?

xaviMF22 said:
All because of you scream>> Won't get fooled again scream

:wink:

You gotta be fucking kidding me!!! :|

Kidding, right? I hope. :wink:

FitzChivalry said:
I know the lyrics are supposed to be great, but the music and vocals just do absolutely nothing for me. It's just kind of blah and boring to me.

Yup. Same here.

FitzChivalry said:

I have never understood the appeal of this song. So many people absolutely love it, and it just does nothing for me. I skip it almost every time. I know the lyrics are supposed to be great, but the music and vocals just do absolutely nothing for me. It's just kind of blah and boring to me.

What am I missing? Is there some great secret to this song that I'm just not getting?

IT'S A TOWN FULL OF LOSERS, I'M PULLIN' OUT OF HERE TO WINNNNNNN.

*blasts into bridge*

xaviMF22 said:
Let Down- Radiohead

"There's a kind of teeter-tottering going on in the song, and one of the things
that makes me like it best is that it goes on in the actual music and in the lyrics.
It's like it's a person torn between pessimism (when it comes its so so disappointing,
crushed like a bug in the ground, etc)
and hope for the future (one day I am gonna grow wings, you'll know where you are with, etc).

Then, the vocals split and you actually have both of them going on at the
same time, one in each ear, and it's like it's a battle for which one is going to
win out. I think the hopeful one does, mostly because of the music."

There is no describing my love for that song.

My entry: "Last Goodbye" - Jeff Buckley.

FitzChivalry said:

it's one of those songs you had to discover as a teenager and experience live. still brings back the memories. i guess you had to be there.

Last edited:
Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb.

I suppose that I will simply restate that which I posted in a thread here a few days ago: "In any case, I still consider this song to be the crowning achievement of modern music- agonizingly beautiful in a way that no other track has ever approached."

beatles - strawberry fields forever

my favorite song of all time.

Back
Top Bottom