The Ice Dance judges should be shot... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2002, 10:55 PM   #1
MacPhisto's serving wench

Local Time: 06:07 AM
The Ice Dance judges should be shot...

and pissed on at sunrise....particularly the Italian judge. And I'm half Italian, no doubt, so don't take this as a racist comment.

The top 10 teams not moving in their standings? Puh-leaze. Somebody get me a bag to throw up in.

Where the Isralei (sp?) were clearly lacking...their edges and basics of skating were terrible.

The Italins were sad. Well, Maurizio Margalio was. Barbara Fusar-Poli was phenomenal as usual. But she did slip. In fact, they both did. AND he had trouble in the footwork section.

Oh, but the judges have brought in mandatory deductions for stumbles. Mmmm hmmm.....do they use them, ever? I'm disgusted. This is a gross injustice.

I'm sorry. Shae-Lynn Bourne and Victor Kraatz deserve to be thrid. This isn't nationalistic pride here. This is truth.

On the plus side, Jamie and David receive their golds for pairs soon. So I suppose there is SOME justice in this world.

Old 02-17-2002, 11:18 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

*sigh* I watch ice dancing as if it were an exhibition sport now. The judging is just way too vague and subjective. After Lillehammer, I pretty much gave up on it.

oh and that medals ceremony was superb. Smiles all around.

-sula

Old 02-18-2002, 06:02 PM   #3

Damn right I'll be watching that free skate. And I'll be grumpy, no doubt.

It's sad that it's getting so predictable. The French will be first. The Russians second. The Italians third. The Canadians fourth. Etc.

I'll be angry, the crowd will revolt. Commentators will be disgusted. Dick Pound will throw a fit. Shae and Vic will smile and wave politely. Canada can't do anything b/c we've already complained once, and we'll risk looking like sore losers. The IOC will laugh and pretend to conduct an investigation into these block judging accusations. They'll find nothing, obviously. Ottavio CInquanta will pay off a bunch of people and keep his job...

In a perfect world, the French win, Russians second, Shae and Vic third, Fusar Poli and Margalio foruth (Take that Barbara! ---She's a bit conceited, I think). Ice dancing gets cleaned up. Ottavio Cinquanta doesn't get re-elcted. The sport becomes 'fair.' Etc...

This isn't never neverland. It won't happen.

*sigh* A girl can dream, can't she?
Old 02-18-2002, 06:51 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

see, I was somewhat confused last night...I thought that mandatory deductions meant they would take off points if you messed up on things. But that nice slip'n'slide by the Italians didn't seem to phase the judges. *shakes head*

Oh well. Enjoy Olympic ice-dancing while it lasts...I've a feeling it won't be around for much longer.

-sula
Old 02-18-2002, 08:52 PM   #5

I heard a rumor that next year and from now on they'll have 14 judges marking the skaters. Tehn 9 of those marks will randomly be picked and counted. The judges will not know which of them will be chosen. Sounds like a plan--will it work? I don't know...
Old 02-18-2002, 10:35 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

ummm, is it just me or is using Dr. Martin Luther King's 'I have a Dream' speech in an ice-dance just a tad bit...errrr...tacky.
Old 02-18-2002, 10:47 PM   #7
War Child

Local Time: 04:07 AM
definitely, sula, and kudos to the announcer (Tom Hammond) for saying as much....the audience didn't get behind that performance, and that was possibly the gold medal dance? Yech.
Old 02-18-2002, 11:02 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

well so much for Canada's chances.
Old 02-19-2002, 01:59 AM   #9
Refugee

Local Time: 11:07 AM
Excuse me, because I really don't do this very often, but oh CRAP. That's all I can think of.

I don't know if I'm ever going to watch another ice dance competition. It's too depressing. I didn't like the top three teams at all. The French are just repeating themselves. What a one-note team. I didn't see the complex choreography that the commentators were talking about. I didn't like the Italians and then he fell down on something that for professional ice dancers looked childishly easy. And then Bourne and Kraatz skated great and fell at the end. A Canadian tradition is established (think Sale and Pelletier's short program). I suspect they would have finished fourth anyway because of the giant joke that ice dance judging is. But now they will never know if maybe, just maybe, they would have got the bronze. That certainly killed their tiny chances right there. What a depressing career they must have had. Such a great team and always held done because of those braindead morons the ice dance judges. And as I said, this time they really won't know. Maybe, just maybe, if they had finished their great skate perfectly, the mistake by the Italians would have made the difference. But now we'll never know. (And as I said, I doubt it.) I bet poor Victor will never ever forgive himself.

Oh, and people who have MLK talking in their music (the French) and people who reference Sept 11 (the Russians--their piece of music is about Sept 11, apparently, and didn't she just look like a building collapsing the way she slid down at the end) deserve big, fat, automatic deductions. What a disgusting and tacky attempt to pander to the Americans. I am physically ill.

I'll shut up now before I make myself a whole lot angrier.

------------------
Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars
Carved into stone on the face of earth
The moon is up and over One Tree Hill
We see the sun go down in your eyes

[This message has been edited by scatteroflight (edited 02-18-2002).]
Old 02-19-2002, 03:57 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

so, The_Sweetest_Thing...are you watching the free skate tonite? My guess...none of the rankings change. The Italian judge votes the Italians number 1, the Swiss judge stays as grumpy as they were last night, and Bourne and Kraatz get placed fourth or fifth.

I miss Torvill and Dean, dammit.
Old 02-19-2002, 05:48 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I am giggling because of the Bolero comment.

I have to admit I am not juch of an ice skating/dancing/ whatever fan until I saw the short track.

I like to yell and scream a lot at sports I watch and when my choice is either Ice Dancing (girlfriend's choice) and Curling (not really my choice, but it was on and what the hell is it anyway...) I have to watch Ice Dancing.

First of all - no country should be judged by their own country (i.e. Italy, Russia, France...) It is ridiculous.

If you ask me I would have given the gold to the Candians.

I loved the MJ, I loved when they fell on their heads, and I love how they tried to cover it up.
Old 02-19-2002, 05:58 PM   #12
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by ouizy:

I loved the MJ, I loved when they fell on their heads, and I love how they tried to cover it up.
Yes, they did fall quite artistically, didn't they!

I'm not an MJ fan but that was a pretty cool program (thought I felt like the slow bit in the middle was a bit...slow.)

------------------
Old 02-19-2002, 06:33 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

oh dear. Has anyone seen the latest? The Lithuanians have lodged a protest over unfair judging last night.

Quote:
Lithuania protests at ice dance

SALT LAKE CITY, Feb 19 (Reuters) - Lithuania launched a protest against the judging in Monday's ice dance competition after their skaters finished fifth.

``A protest has been filed overnight and is in the hands of the event referee, Alexandr Gorshkov,'' an ISU spokeswoman said. Lithuania have announced a news conference for 2200 GMT.

Lithuania's Margarita Drobiazko and Povilas Vanagas came fifth behind French gold medallists Marina Anissina and Gwendal Peizerat. The appeal surrounds the free dance element of the competition on Monday.

Both the Italian and Canadian pairs, who finished third and fourth, fell in the free dance and the Lithuanians skated without an obvious flaw.

``After the Italians fell on the required elements the judges put them ahead of us ... it was funny, just funny,'' Drobiazko said on Monday.

``We skated better tonight than them and they fell, and nothing changed.''

The judges' marks showed that technically the Lithuanians were comparable with the Italians and the Canadians, but on presentation they were scored lower.

The Russian, Swiss and Italian judges had them fourth in the free dance. The Lithuanian judge had them third, Germany, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria and Poland had them fifth, and Ukraine sixth.
Actually, I'm not surprised. Like I said earlier, they certainly seemed the most passionate and skated perfectly. A guy friend of mine was watching with me last night and he kept saying "I liked those other people...the Lithuanians."

Yep, ice-dance needs serious help. Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean, do you have children?
Old 02-19-2002, 07:24 PM   #14
*Stormy*

The Lithuanians were the only ones with no mistakes. I think the Italian couple's fall was much sloppier and more obvious than Borne and Kraatz's, which happened at the end. At first I thought they had 'died on the ice' like Torvill and Dean, and I thought, hey I thought that was outlawed years ago! I will always doubt if the outcome was fair due to what we heard about the French being predetermined to win.

Old 02-19-2002, 08:08 PM   #15
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:

Actually, I'm not surprised. Like I said earlier, they certainly seemed the most passionate and skated perfectly. A guy friend of mine was watching with me last night and he kept saying "I liked those other people...the Lithuanians."
They did skate well but I used to like them more. They had a beautiful program a year or two ago to something called Spente le Stelle (if I'm thinking of the right people.) They're getting a little phony like most of the top people seem to do, I think. The top three pairs were totally phony. Bourne and Kraatz are very genuine, one reason I like them.

------------------