The I can't believe what I heard on the radio today thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DiGi

New Yorker
It must have been bizzaro day at 99.1 WHFS because on my ride home I did not get to hear Numb by Linkin Park, yet I did hear Such Great Heights by The Postal Service. My mind was blown.

The DJ said something like "This group is made up of members from bands no one around here has ever heard of." or something stupid like that.

The other interesting piece of music news I heard on the radio this morning was that there are no good musical releases today in the US. Interesting, I could have freakin swore that Silence is Easy and Cast of Thousands were out today. I guess I will have to stop listening to Starsailor and Elbow though, apparently they are not any good. Back to hating the radio. I need to get my CD player fixed in a big way.

Last edited:
DiGi said:

The DJ said something like "This group is made up of members from bands no one around here has ever heard of." or something stupid like that.

mainstream djs assume no one knows anything, and college djs assume anyone listening knows everything about the bands they're playing. or atleast that's been my experience.

either way :down:

When I was in North Carolina, they were playing the Polyphonic Spree over the speakers in the parking lot. I was shocked and awed.

I was turning my 58-year-old officemate on to The Frames and she said, all blas? and stuff, "Oh yeah, I know them." I said, all full of myself and stuff, "No, you must be thinking of someone else. I can't imagine how you'd know them. Hardly anyone here knows them--even people who are really into music because they don't get airplay in this town." She said, "Oh yes they do--they play them on KBAC all the time." I refused to believe her and played her a clip of "Lay Me Down" online and she nods, "Yep, that's them. I know that song." :shocked: This was a few weeks after an amazon.com box showed up for her containing My Morning Jacket which she also heard on the radio here. I think there is a secret program that only she knows about.

it's great hearing unexpected good stuff on the radio. Not that I would know, as I forsake the medium almost entirely.

SkeeK said:
it's great hearing unexpected good stuff on the radio. Not that I would know, as I forsake the medium almost entirely.

I concur

I was wondering when Silence Is Easy was coming out here. Thanks for mentioning it. :wink:

The "alternative rock" station here in OKC has been throwing in a few surprises lately. The day this thread started, I went out to my car and Pearl Jam's "Black" was on. Then, the past two mornings they have played two different Violent Femmes' songs and this morning, after "Kiss Off" they played "Firestarter" by The Prodigy. Why is this weird? Because this station usually plays Staind, Linkin Park, Puddle of Mudd, etc. To turn it on and hear something else (and some pretty old songs) was quite refreshing. :up:

Ya'all are very lucky.

At work, I am forced to listen to EZRock - aka the home of Celine Dion, Shania Twain, Faith Hill, Josh Groban and Clay Aiken. After 8 hours, thoughts of suicide are rather common.

They no longer permit us to listen to personal music devices, so alas, the iPod cannot save me either. :|

i guess it doesn't count if i heard good stuff on the radio when i was the one playing it...

and it double doesn't count cos it's not commercial radio

it pains me to listen to commercial radio. it realyl does.

anitram said:
Ya'all are very lucky.

At work, I am forced to listen to EZRock - aka the home of Celine Dion, Shania Twain, Faith Hill, Josh Groban and Clay Aiken. After 8 hours, thoughts of suicide are rather common.

I feel your pain. I once quit a job because the boss made us listen to the Classic Rock station for the entire shift. It was worth it. :up:

At work we are allowed to have the radio on and we each have a favourite radio station and we listen to them all (not at the same time). We also bring in our own cds to listen to.

We listen to everything: rock, jazz, country, classical.

I can't say I hate the classic rock, soft rock or easy listerning stations. It is more that they are boring because I have already heard so much of this music. Some of it I own and some I didn't buy the first time and I'm not going to buy it now.

I enjoy the variety and I really enjoy hearing new music not just on the rock stations but the country, jazz and classical stations as well.

New artists and their music are getting harder to find on the radio and that's a shame.

HeartlandGirl said:

I feel your pain. I once quit a job because the boss made us listen to the Classic Rock station for the entire shift. It was worth it. :up:

you actually quit a job because of it? you are my hero :up:

Thank God the Dj didn?t play Linkin Park. They suck big. Listen to Iron Maiden, Metallica?s Older Stuff, Dream Theater, Slayer,etc, and expand your view.
Asshole !

DiGi said:
this is one of the better music playing radio stations i know of, my kind friends in Pittsburgh introduced me to it. Of course its in Pittsburgh though, but I do listen to the stream every now and then.
http://www.wyep.org/
:up: Looks pretty good, I'll have to listen...

I usually end up listening to KEXP Seattle or KCRW Santa Monica, CA online (esp Morning becomes eclectic). They have good music and KCRW MBE has wonderful archives of live performances on the show...and the host's name is Nic Harcourt (no relation to Ed, but he's fabulous nonetheless). Most people probably know it, but I love it, so I always mention it :eek: ...

The best radio station here (which is in fact pretty bad) advertises on their site that they play South, which would be GREAT IF they actually did. :mad: All I hear is Incubus & Linkin Park. It's torture.

isn't radio

but last night on Mtv I watched: Bright Eyes, Rooney, and Super Furry Animals

ok, maybe on Mtv or Mtv2 in the USA is common, but not in MTV Latin America

Jack In The Box said:
isn't radio

but last night on Mtv I watched: Bright Eyes, Rooney, and Super Furry Animals

ok, maybe on Mtv or Mtv2 in the USA is common, but not in MTV Latin America
:ohmy: :applaud: SFA! It's only common on mtv2 at about 2am now... :mad:

this thread inspires me to turn on the radio. almost.

*checks out link digi posted*

Ok, my post is TV not radio as well, but it still fits here the best I think...
SO, CSI this week - at the end of the episode they played Doves' 'Cedar Room!!' I heard those opening guitar chords and was like :eek: :hyper:

OOops, it was actually "Rise" not "Cedar Room." I realized that I had typed cedar room as I was falling asleep last night....anyway, not that it's all THAT important, but thought I'd clarify. I don't know why I put cedar room....maybe i like it so much, i make everything it. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom