The Hold Steady Is A Springsteen Cover Band... Discuss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elvis Presley

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Been too long since I stirred the pot a bit. What are your thoughts on the thread title? As much as I know many many people love Craig Finn's style "walking around and drinking some more" and be one of the most repetitive lyricists ever, I guess I don't get it.

Nothing against the Boss, but doesn't it seem like these guys just badly wanna be him?

:wink::angry::wink:

If by Springsteen you mean The Replacements, then I can perhaps see from where you're coming. Otherwise, hellz no.

If by Springsteen you mean The Replacements, then I can perhaps see from where you're coming. Otherwise, hellz no.

Ha ha, no. Although both the Mats and HS claim Minnesota ties, that is where the similarities end. :doh:

Cmon, can't you just hear The Boss singing Stuck Between Stations?

Ha ha, no. Although both the Mats and HS claim Minnesota ties, that is where the similarities end. :doh:

Cmon, can't you just hear The Boss singing Stuck Between Stations?

I honestly can't, no. This could be because of the fact that Springsteen and The Hold Steady are both two of my 10 favorite musical acts of all time. Because of my overwhelming familiarity with basically every piece of music each artists has had a hand in, maybe I'm just too attuned to the countless differences.

I may be slightly reactionary, too, because as both a THS and Springsteen fan, I get pretty tired of the endlessly lazy, written-by-press-kit music journalism that repeatedly lumps them in together. Journalists are now doing this both when writing about Springsteen and when writing about THS, and it sickens me. I object primarily because I feel like saying that THS is ostensibly a Springsteen cover bands means that you kind of have to say that any band which sings character-driven, semi-narrative songs has to sound exactly like Springsteen. Sonically, the bands honestly just don't sound very similar--THS has so far had a grittier sound than 99% of Springsteen's catalogue, and hasn't even come close to the stadium-sized bombast of mid-'80s Springsteen, the hushed folkie who pops up every now and again, or the romantic street poet of the early years. Certainly, they've not come anywhere near the adult contemporary bore who released way too many shit albums from the mid/late '80s and on.

Now, Craig Finn does indeed tap into the street poet vibe, but there's nothing romantic about his poetry (and it's also a hell of a lot more writerly, for better or worse), as there was about the bulk of early-to-middle Springsteen's; likewise, Springsteen's more downcast stuff (Nebraska, moments of Darkness, etc.) was a lot more hopeless than a single song Finn's written. Springsteen wrote about losers and everymen trying to make the most of themselves, when he was writing those songs; Finn sings primarily about upper-middle class white kids from the Midwest who are too bored not to fuck up their lives and who, somehow, wind up finding first damnation and then salvation via either drugs, alcohol, music, or spirituality. Often all at the same time.

Still, while I can't see Springsteen singing "Stuck Between Stations" (and I certainly can't imagine the now-fucking-awful E Street Band playing it), I can for some reason imagine Craig Finn singing some early Springsteen stuff...

YouTube - bruce & friends - rosalita

:wink:

I honestly can't, no. This could be because of the fact that Springsteen and The Hold Steady are both two of my 10 favorite musical acts of all time. Because of my overwhelming familiarity with basically every piece of music each artists has had a hand in, maybe I'm just too attuned to the countless differences.

I may be slightly reactionary, too, because as both a THS and Springsteen fan, I get pretty tired of the endlessly lazy, written-by-press-kit music journalism that repeatedly lumps them in together. Journalists are now doing this both when writing about Springsteen and when writing about THS, and it sickens me. I object primarily because I feel like saying that THS is ostensibly a Springsteen cover bands means that you kind of have to say that any band which sings character-driven, semi-narrative songs has to sound exactly like Springsteen.

Well, call it lazy all you want, but Finn himself has admitted that Springsteen and his music were one of the bigger influences on him. It would be silly to deny that some of that influence does not come out in HS music.

I guess I can't get past the incredibly repetitive lyrics and the fact that like sporting events, The Hold Steady owe more to beer than to any musical influence, and would have about half as large of a catalog and fan base if not for that.

To each his own though, I respect that I won't "get" all the bands out there that people love, and it won't keep me up at night or anything, but it makes for a good discussions at least.

A definite influence, yes--I'm just not buying the cover band remark, that's all. And you're not lazy, unless you're writing reviews for any music (maga)'zines with which I'm familiar!

But for what it's worth, I am a Type 1 diabetic, meaning that I am not able to drink any alcohol. I haven't been (and have been diabetic), since I was just 16 years old. I discovered The Hold Steady a hell of a long time after that went down, and they've spoken to me more profoundly than any artist since, ahem, The Boss, circa The Wild, The Innocent, & The E Street Shuffle. I think that my straightedge-style sobriety has actually worked in my favor, as far as appreciating what I feel are the lyrical nuances of Finn's writing style. Probably of equal note: I am also an atheist, and I feel that this has actually helped me further to enjoy Finn's verse.

I do know what you mean, though, and the constant PBR-wielding, loud-as-shit high-fivers do, indeed, get a bit old, at The Hold Steady gigs, from time to time. Especially when you're stone cold sober. Ugh.

Anyway, I transcribed the lyrics to Stay Positive. If "Both Crosses," here, sounds like Springsteen, then I guess I'm deaf to reason. And if these are lazy lyrics, especially when considering the honestly head-spinning intertextuality at play and which resonates across all four of the band's albums, then maybe I'm not the only one, Elvis. :wink: This is good stuff, right here!

"Both Crosses"

She says sometimes she sees these things right before they’re happening…

“Hail Mary, full of grace.” Some nights, she swears she feels her face. She’s known a couple boys that died, and two of them were crucified. And the last one had enlightened eyes, but the first guy, he was Jesus Christ. Hey, Judas, I know you made a grave mistake. Hey, Peter, you been pretty sweet, since Easter break.

Now, she’s 4:00 A.M. and she’s wide awake, an’ she’s shiverin’ and smilin’. Let’s clutch and kiss; we sing and shake. Tonight, let’s try to levitate. You Catholic girls, you start much too late. Baby, let’s transverberate. . .

And she saw all the footage, right before it got cut. And she saw all the bodies, and she saw the blood. She saw the angel put a sword in his side. And, baby, that’s how we got canonized. She saw him gushing blood, right before it got cut. She saw him put a body in a bag in the trunk; she saw the guys coming in, from the sides. And, baby, that’s how we get energized.

She said, “You know I’m down to pay for it.” She said, “Just grant me some indulgences, cuz I been mostly dyin’, and I been mostly coughin’, and I been mostly cryin’…and I been thinkin’ ‘bout both crosses...”

She saw the film right before it came out, and at first she thought Judas might go for the mouth. And she saw the nails, and she saw the hands. She said the crowd cheered the band. And the new kid begged ‘em not to do it, and Jesus just said, “Hey, I still love you, Judas.”

Since you been up in Massachusetts, I been dreamin’ ‘bout dos cruces. And I been thinkin’ ‘bout both crosses. And I been dreamin’ ‘bout dos cruces. Yeah, I been thinkin’ ‘bout both crosses…

Fair enough, like I said, you like what you like, and I know plenty like The Hold Steady, I am just not among the group. Seen em live, had a similar beer tossing experience that seemed to bring out the best in the frat boy crowd.

At any rate, you have your reasons, and I appreciate that, stick with it.

However, I would bet you are in the minority for "why" you like them. And the thread title was meant to hook some folks, but it looks like you are the only one that bit so far... :sexywink:

I'm not going to lie, the first time I heard the song 'First Night', I definitely heard Springsteen influence in the sound and style of the song. There are some other Springsteen influenced moments in that album, but I don't think I ever caught onto it or felt it on Separation Sunday. Other than that, I don't really see many similarities other than that he tells stories with the lyrics, which Springsteen was hardly the first person to do. Plus, Finn's lyrics are about considerably different subjects than Springsteen's to my ears. They're far more of a punk band musically, and sound nothing like the E-Street Band (they are on Vagrant Records for Pete's sake).

Also, I'm not really sure what lyrics you are thinking are repetitive? I can think of far more repetitive Radiohead and solo Thom Yorke work than anything by The Hold Steady, and I don't see you hatin' on them! :wink:

I can think of far more repetitive Radiohead and solo Thom Yorke :wink:

But when they do it it's art rather than not having anything else to say
:reject:

I can't get into what I've heard of The Hold Steady, which I admit isn't much but enough so that I haven't been moved to investigate further.

I can't get into what I've heard of The Hold Steady, which I admit isn't much but enough so that I haven't been moved to investigate further.

Yes, but you haven't investigated Okkervil River further either, despite liking some of their songs (and my constant prodding)!

:rant:

Yes, but you haven't investigated Okkervil River further either, despite liking some of their songs (and my constant prodding)!

That is her own fault mofo, you guys let me know if you want some great Okkervil goods.

Back to the topic at hand and more specifically, the repetitive lyrics. I guess I was mostly speaking of Girls & Boys, where there seem to be many regurgitated themes and lyrics in songs. No need to disect this too much, just my thoughts after hearing 5 of the songs alot.... :|

I have Black Sheep Boy which I like and I just haven't gotten around to getting Stage Names yet but I will. It's near the top of a long list. Don't you be yelling at me young man. :mad: It's the opposite of how I feel about The Hold Steady. I like Okkervil enough to check more stuff out; I haven't heard anything by The Hold Steady that makes me want to check more out but I'll keep an open mind.

I have Black Sheep Boy which I like and I just haven't gotten around to getting Stage Names yet but I will. It's near the top of a long list. Don't you be yelling at me young man. :mad: It's the opposite of how I feel about The Hold Steady. I like Okkervil enough to check more stuff out; I haven't heard anything by The Hold Steady that makes me want to check more out but I'll keep an open mind.

I actually had no clue you had Black Sheep Boy. Have you had it for a long time, or just recently?

wow. elvis presley. i haven't seen anything by you in ages.
i'm glad to see you show up.
hopefully you're well.

I actually had no clue you had Black Sheep Boy. Have you had it for a long time, or just recently?

I had it long before any one I know had it. :wink: An indie music buddy gave it and Band of Horses to me and I remember coming in here and searching for both and no one was talking about either yet. /endbragging

BUT...I didn't give it much attention at the time because I was focusing on BOH.

I second the good-to-see-EP back sentiments. I still peruse your blog occasionally, and sometimes it even comes up during a random Google.

At any rate, what do you think of "Americas Favorite Bar Band"...:angry:

I was annoyed just the other night when Constructive Summer appeared in my iTunes when I was making a summer mix. :angry: I removed it from the playlist immediately.

This is pretty funny - I was recently exchanging a few emails with the author of a book I really loved, a memoir of sorts about him being a music fanatic.

After trying and failing to get me into Pavement and sharing some U2 rants and raves, he said that since I really loved Springsteen, I should check out the Hold Steady.

I found a few tracks online and liked what I heard. Where's a good starting point? I have their latest release on my Amazon wish list. What else should I get?

Never was able to get into this band (all I have is Boys And Girls In America though). The Springsteen influence is completely obvious on Stuck Between Stations, but calling them a Springsteen cover band is off the mark at best.

Never was able to get into this band (all I have is Boys And Girls In America though). The Springsteen influence is completely obvious on Stuck Between Stations, but calling them a Springsteen cover band is off the mark at best.

Other than the "we drink, we dry up" part, I don't really hear any influence on that song myself. :reject:

Where's a good starting point? I have their latest release on my Amazon wish list. What else should I get?

I agree with mofo, but would add that if you are already planning on getting Stay Positive, then you needn't worry about Boys and Girls in America, just yet, because you'll already have a pretty good introduction to the band's current sound (compliments of producer John Agnello, who worked on the last Sonic Youth record, amongst other things).

Separation Sunday doesn't quite sound like the same band, but is a riveting introduction to Finn's and the band's narrative and mythology. It's the rare sophomore album whose narrative actually enhances most of the songs on the band's debut, ...Almost Killed Me, because the stories which are told give context and gravity to the snippets you heard about but couldn't quite entirely figure out, the first time out. Suddenly, a lot of the pieces fit a lot more securely, and the lyrics of a pretty standard rock song like ...Almost Killed Me's "Barfruit Blues" are enough to make me, at least, cry, because you understand who Holly is and all that she's been through. Wonderful.

Separation Sunday is one of my ten favorite records of all time, so I can't recommend it highly enough...but I do think that you'd be better off starting with one of the two most recent records. Stay Positive'll do just fine, for that. I hope that you enjoy.

The place to start is Boys and Girls in America.

I rarely hear Springsteen influences when I listen to these guys. :shrug:

I do, however, think that they kick all kinds of ass. Enough said by me for the moment.

there's maybe one or two songs on Boys & Girls that have a reminiscent E Street piano sound to them and similar character driven songs, but that's about it. The majority of the album was very unimpressive to me, the lyrics never seemed to go anywhere besides recreation. I prefer Marah over Hold Steady, they're another Springsteen/Replacements influenced band minus the hype, certainly not the greatest thing since sliced bread but their last album Angels of Destruction was enjoyable.

don't have time to read this at the moment......

when I heard that HS had a strong Springsteen/E St aspect...i became uninterested in hearing them-- several months ago.

I happen to hear a song by them about 2 weeks ago......I must say it was a **really** GOOD Bruce/E st influnece.
So now I'll listen for more of them on the radio. :D

To be fair, the new album is better than Boys & Girls imo. Way less "walk around and drink some more" type references. I think Finn must have realized doing another album like that would have alienated many....

there was an article here in the paper about hold steady in which the columnist essentially made the same point you are, EP.

i have no opinion having never heard them.

there was an article here in the paper about hold steady in which the columnist essentially made the same point you are, EP.

i have no opinion having never heard them.

Well there is "something" to it, but of course, I did not make it up. Still, to each his own I guess....

:angry:

A definite influence, yes--I'm just not buying the cover band remark, that's all. And you're not lazy, unless you're writing reviews for any music (maga)'zines with which I'm familiar!

But for what it's worth, I am a Type 1 diabetic, meaning that I am not able to drink any alcohol. I haven't been (and have been diabetic), since I was just 16 years old. I discovered The Hold Steady a hell of a long time after that went down, and they've spoken to me more profoundly than any artist since, ahem, The Boss, circa The Wild, The Innocent, & The E Street Shuffle. I think that my straightedge-style sobriety has actually worked in my favor, as far as appreciating what I feel are the lyrical nuances of Finn's writing style. Probably of equal note: I am also an atheist, and I feel that this has actually helped me further to enjoy Finn's verse.

Wow. That sounds tough. I don't know if this makes me weak or pathetic or whatever, but I'd find life very difficult if I couldn't get into an altered state from time to time...

Back
Top Bottom