The Hold Steady Is A Springsteen Cover Band... Discuss - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2008, 05:30 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post

I actually had no clue you had Black Sheep Boy. Have you had it for a long time, or just recently?
I had it long before any one I know had it. An indie music buddy gave it and Band of Horses to me and I remember coming in here and searching for both and no one was talking about either yet. /endbragging

BUT...I didn't give it much attention at the time because I was focusing on BOH.

I second the good-to-see-EP back sentiments. I still peruse your blog occasionally, and sometimes it even comes up during a random Google.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:32 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Presley View Post
At any rate, what do you think of "Americas Favorite Bar Band"...
I was annoyed just the other night when Constructive Summer appeared in my iTunes when I was making a summer mix. I removed it from the playlist immediately.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:11 PM   #18
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:52 PM
This is pretty funny - I was recently exchanging a few emails with the author of a book I really loved, a memoir of sorts about him being a music fanatic.

After trying and failing to get me into Pavement and sharing some U2 rants and raves, he said that since I really loved Springsteen, I should check out the Hold Steady.

I found a few tracks online and liked what I heard. Where's a good starting point? I have their latest release on my Amazon wish list. What else should I get?
Old 06-21-2008, 07:17 PM   #19
The Male

Never was able to get into this band (all I have is Boys And Girls In America though). The Springsteen influence is completely obvious on Stuck Between Stations, but calling them a Springsteen cover band is off the mark at best.

Now.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:23 PM   #20
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Where's a good starting point? I have their latest release on my Amazon wish list. What else should I get?
Boys and Girls In America and Separation Sunday are both extremely solid and fantastic places to start.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:25 PM   #21
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Never was able to get into this band (all I have is Boys And Girls In America though). The Springsteen influence is completely obvious on Stuck Between Stations, but calling them a Springsteen cover band is off the mark at best.
Other than the "we drink, we dry up" part, I don't really hear any influence on that song myself.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:27 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Where's a good starting point? I have their latest release on my Amazon wish list. What else should I get?
I agree with mofo, but would add that if you are already planning on getting Stay Positive, then you needn't worry about Boys and Girls in America, just yet, because you'll already have a pretty good introduction to the band's current sound (compliments of producer John Agnello, who worked on the last Sonic Youth record, amongst other things).

Separation Sunday doesn't quite sound like the same band, but is a riveting introduction to Finn's and the band's narrative and mythology. It's the rare sophomore album whose narrative actually enhances most of the songs on the band's debut, ...Almost Killed Me, because the stories which are told give context and gravity to the snippets you heard about but couldn't quite entirely figure out, the first time out. Suddenly, a lot of the pieces fit a lot more securely, and the lyrics of a pretty standard rock song like ...Almost Killed Me's "Barfruit Blues" are enough to make me, at least, cry, because you understand who Holly is and all that she's been through. Wonderful.

Separation Sunday is one of my ten favorite records of all time, so I can't recommend it highly enough...but I do think that you'd be better off starting with one of the two most recent records. Stay Positive'll do just fine, for that. I hope that you enjoy.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:38 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

The place to start is Boys and Girls in America.

I rarely hear Springsteen influences when I listen to these guys.

I do, however, think that they kick all kinds of ass. Enough said by me for the moment.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:32 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

there's maybe one or two songs on Boys & Girls that have a reminiscent E Street piano sound to them and similar character driven songs, but that's about it. The majority of the album was very unimpressive to me, the lyrics never seemed to go anywhere besides recreation. I prefer Marah over Hold Steady, they're another Springsteen/Replacements influenced band minus the hype, certainly not the greatest thing since sliced bread but their last album Angels of Destruction was enjoyable.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:09 AM   #25
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:52 PM
Admittedly, I haven't listened to too much of THS, but have been hearing more lately and like what I hear. I may have to make good use of some of my iTunes $ soon.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:10 PM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:52 PM
don't have time to read this at the moment......

when I heard that HS had a strong Springsteen/E St aspect...i became uninterested in hearing them-- several months ago.

I happen to hear a song by them about 2 weeks ago......I must say it was a **really** GOOD Bruce/E st influnece.
So now I'll listen for more of them on the radio.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:10 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:52 PM
To be fair, the new album is better than Boys & Girls imo. Way less "walk around and drink some more" type references. I think Finn must have realized doing another album like that would have alienated many....
Old 06-26-2008, 07:47 PM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

there was an article here in the paper about hold steady in which the columnist essentially made the same point you are, EP.

i have no opinion having never heard them.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:20 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
there was an article here in the paper about hold steady in which the columnist essentially made the same point you are, EP.

i have no opinion having never heard them.
Well there is "something" to it, but of course, I did not make it up. Still, to each his own I guess....

Old 06-27-2008, 12:46 PM   #30
Acrobat

Local Time: 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by If you shout... View Post
A definite influence, yes--I'm just not buying the cover band remark, that's all. And you're not lazy, unless you're writing reviews for any music (maga)'zines with which I'm familiar!

But for what it's worth, I am a Type 1 diabetic, meaning that I am not able to drink any alcohol. I haven't been (and have been diabetic), since I was just 16 years old. I discovered The Hold Steady a hell of a long time after that went down, and they've spoken to me more profoundly than any artist since, ahem, The Boss, circa The Wild, The Innocent, & The E Street Shuffle. I think that my straightedge-style sobriety has actually worked in my favor, as far as appreciating what I feel are the lyrical nuances of Finn's writing style. Probably of equal note: I am also an atheist, and I feel that this has actually helped me further to enjoy Finn's verse.
Wow. That sounds tough. I don't know if this makes me weak or pathetic or whatever, but I'd find life very difficult if I couldn't get into an altered state from time to time...

Tags
bruce springsteen, the hold steady