The Hobbit........... News

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Well looks like New Line and Peter Jackson have come to an agreement. Peter Jackson will be the producer to the prequel to the Lord of the Rings Films.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071218/ap_en_ot/film_the_hobbit

Peter Jackson to produce `The Hobbit'

By JAKE COYLE, AP Entertainment Writer 47 minutes ago

NEW YORK - Peter Jackson and New Line Cinema have reached agreement to make J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit," a planned prequel to the blockbuster trilogy "The Lord of the Rings."
ADVERTISEMENT

Jackson, who directed the "Rings" trilogy, will serve as executive producer for "The Hobbit." A director for the prequel films has yet to be named.

Relations between Jackson and New Line had soured after "Rings," despite a collective worldwide box office gross of nearly $3 billion — an enormous success. The two sides nevertheless were able to reconcile, with Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios (MGM) splitting "The Hobbit" 50/50, spokemen for both studios said Tuesday.

"I'm very pleased that we've been able to put our differences behind us, so that we may begin a new chapter with our old friends at New Line," Jackson said in a statement. "We are delighted to continue our journey through Middle Earth."

Two "Hobbit" films are scheduled to be shot simultaneously, similar to how the three "Lord of the Rings" films were made. Production is set to begin in 2009 with a released planned for 2010, with the sequel scheduled for a 2011 release.

New Line Cinema is owned by Time Warner. Sony and Comcast are among the owners of MGM.

(ADDS detail, quotes, background. SUBS overline to CORRECT that Jackson will produce, sted direct, films.)

:huh: How are they making two movies out of such a short book ?

:up: Good that PJ gets to revisit Middle-Earth. How much of a say will he have as a producer ?

Last edited:
There were always plans to make The Hobbit (at least there were when the others were completed), but this dispute between Wingnut and New Line prevented any specifics from being set earlier.

Also, only one film will be based on The Hobbit. The second film will be a bridge between it and LOTR, with material taken from The Silmarilion and some of Tolkein's other writings. That's the one I'm really looking forward to; The Hobbit is more of a family film type of story. It does have a big dragon in it though.

lazarus said:
There were always plans to make The Hobbit (at least there were when the others were completed), but this dispute between Wingnut and New Line prevented any specifics from being set earlier.

Also, only one film will be based on The Hobbit. The second film will be a bridge between it and LOTR, with material taken from The Silmarilion and some of Tolkein's other writings. That's the one I'm really looking forward to; The Hobbit is more of a family film type of story. It does have a big dragon in it though.

The Silmarilion, after you get through the first 100 pages, remains, in my opinion, the best book of the bunch, including the LOTR trilogy.

If Peter Jackson's only serving as a producer, which director would you like to see step in?

I think Guillermo Del Toro would be the best choice.

I too think The Silmarilion is his finest undertaking but it takes patience.....

Not too stoked about The Hobbit. A great read when you're a kid, but when you try to go back to it....I guess the youngsters will eat it up. :huh:

LemonMacPhisto said:
If Peter Jackson's only serving as a producer, which director would you like to see step in?

I think Guillermo Del Toro would be the best choice.

Yes.

Really, anyone but Sam Raimi (who has been rumored). The last thing we need is TWO guys with bad b-movie tendencies working on this thing.

Quite a safe choice, Raimi directed three huge movies. Whoever it is directing, I hope they do the material justice. Personally I wish PJ would get the nod again, but I understand the time constraint (and Golden Compass under-performing in the US probably helped) and Hobbit has a different feel.

I think the only actor confirmed so far is the guy that was Gollum.

As for books, Silmarillion is underrated. :yes:

I'll go out on a limb and say that I would like The Hobbit to have a completely different feel and it DOES NOT need to match the Middle Earth envisioned by Peter Jackson. If the director wants to take it an alternative route and have it be faster paced or surreal or even grotesque BY ALL MEANS. Otherwise, it's like we're watching the same movie all over again.

I just hope the whole Middle Earth of LOTR movies keeps the same look, even if with a different director. The story is a prequel, with some of the same characters and places so that should be reflected, even if the material is much lighter. My pick would be Steven Spielberg - he'd do the warmth and fairytale-ness of the story justice.

I wonder if the "part II" movie means they will mine the Appendices again (like they did in LOTR for Aragorn/Arwen story).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom