The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edgeman

Refugee
Don't Panic

I saw the movie the other night, and I was very impressed at how well the film version held up to the book. Sure, the book was better but when is it not really? I really enjoyed how they did the animations during the little "interuptions" by The Guide. They were all funny in one way or the other and way better than just a narration by The Guide.

Everyone was perfectly cast. Mos Def and Sam Rockwell stole the show big time as Ford and Zephod. Casting Zooey Deschanel(almost famous) as Trillian was brilliant. Her eyes are so amazing, and she totally fits as the love interest...I mean how could you not love her?

I love how it ended so very open, just like the end of the first book. I know a lot of people will feel shorted by this, but then you can tell who's a fan of the book or not. I keep trying to tell people that it's going to end open but that's how the book is. Everything is open and random. Another thing I loved is how the film will throw 5 to 10 mins of information at you that has nothing to do with the plot in the whole. Aren't tangents great?

I loved this film. If you haven't, go see it and judge for yourself. Then do yourself a favor and go buy all 5 books. You can find them seperate of in a box or in a big book all by itself. Ther are well worth your time.

Oh, and remember to bring your towel. It's the most important thing you can have in the galaxy. Happy hitchhiking!

I personally thought Martin Freeman outperformed everyone... even though he was just playing Tim again.

I thought as a stand alone movie it was rubbish, but as an adaptation it was pretty decent.

Radio Show > Book > Movie > TV Show...

I was very sceptical about whether anyone can make a film out of a book whose appeal is all about the written word and language, but I must say I really enjoyed the movie. Especially the second time around, because by then I wasn't distracted by "ooh, that was in the book" and "ooh, that's something new" and could take in the film on its own more. I agree that the cast rocks, big time. I always thought that Arthur Dent in the book was a bit of an empty space as a character, but Martin Freeman as Arthur is such a sweetheart, :)

I know Terry Pratchett is not keen on making a Discworld movie, but if it's made with as much love and care as LoTR and Hitchhiker's I'd be ecstatic to see it on big sreen.

I pretty much loved the film! :love:

I watched the Tv series way back when it as shown originally and recently read the books&I'm pleased with the film version! I really loved Bill Nighy and it was jaw-dropping when Arthur was being shown the model of earth and so touching when he felt like he had returned home! :happy: :sigh:

Stephen fry is perfect as the narrator and the graphics are good as are the dolphins intro! :cute: :heart:

I'm also worried it won't live up to the book, but I'll give it a chance.

Could someone please "explain" this film to me? Obviously I never read any of the books.

I saw it opening weekend, and honestly thought it was crap and the worst movie i've ever seen. I went there openminded, as i heard to think "monty python meets scifi".

So what in the movie could persuade me otherwise? Please give examples from the movie that made it funny or a great film. I tried to pay attention to people around me who occasionally laughed, to understand possible inside jokes, but to no avail.

(don't just say "you gotta read the book")

BonoFan78 said:
Could someone please "explain" this film to me? Obviously I never read any of the books.

I saw it opening weekend, and honestly thought it was crap and the worst movie i've ever seen. I went there openminded, as i heard to think "monty python meets scifi".

So what in the movie could persuade me otherwise? Please give examples from the movie that made it funny or a great film. I tried to pay attention to people around me who occasionally laughed, to understand possible inside jokes, but to no avail.

(don't just say "you gotta read the book")

ok,

You got to listen to the radio play.

I was very skeptical about whether anyone can make a film out of a radio play whose appeal is all about the spoken word and language.

I was lucky enough to catch the 1978 production rebroadcast on my local NPR station in the 90s.

I am sure the books are good, too.

The film leaves out WAY TOO MUCH.

Much like last years edited down 2 hour "Singing Detection” pales compared to Potter's much longer television
screenplay of "The Singing Detective".

Haven't seen it yet but living in hope that if Bill Nighy, Stephen Fry and Alan Rickman are involved it will live up to my expectations.

PS I've read the book, seen the original series and heard the radio play.......................

Will post once I've been.

I've read the book many times and went into the movie thinking it couldn't possibly be any worse than the British TV show (which was just so very campy). I wasn't disappointed going in with this attitude. I wasn't expecting oscar-worthy perfection. I wasn't expecting it to be as good as the book, either. I enjoyed the movie for what it was and I'll watch it again.

I am hoping to see it this weekend. I am a bit of a fan and absolutely love Marvin from the book (and the TV series). I hope Alan Rickman will meet my expectations.

"Brain the size of a planet...:lol:"

I think Steven Fry will be spot on as the narrator.

*Folds towel*

Back
Top Bottom