The Hermitage, St Petersburg Russia - anyone been there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd love to go but haven't been. I love all that old Russian stuff. Maybe deathbear has been there!

I would *love* to go to this place. I'm fascinated by all of that old Russian stuff. I have Russian historical costumes, I'd love to see the museums, cathedrals, etc, etc.

I never even considered the Russian stuff. I can't get over the artworks that place has amassed over the years. Or the library.
God, imagine it...
:drool:
I have to go there one day. Any Russians posting on here?

AHHHHH!!!

the hermitage is the greatest building on the face of this earth. or so i tell myself these days...

you know what you need to do angela? watch russian ark! do it!

i have every intention of going to russia in may...

My Mother visited back in the glory days of Communism in 1972. It was a vastly different place than it is today. I'd like to visit, but only in the summer. :wink:

Yeah, that's what they say, visit in summer as the winters are brutally cold. I'm from the U.S. Sunbelt, I'll bet that's really true, I'll try to make it over in the summer.

if you go there during winter times , it will be cold , yes , but more beautiful , more colors , true spirit , summer is full of dust , it's off-season , just a hint

nope.

i wish i could say yes.

i was going to go to russia when i was a senior in high school, my school had an exchange program with a school in petrozavodsk, which is a city in russia pretty close to finland, and in addition to staying 3 weeks with your host family and going to school there, the group went and spent a couple days in st. petersburg and moscow. so i would have gone to the hermitage, and half the kids in my 12th grade russian class i'm sure could tell you all about it, but i only know what i know from watching documentaries and reading about it. and since i usually fell asleep during those documentaries or the readings were in russian and i didn't necessarily understand 100% of it, i can't say i know too much.

my mom decided i wasn't going because she didn't want me flying across the planet a month after september 11th.

i'm still kind of pissed off about this.

I would be pissed, IWB. :(

I am dying to go everywhere in Russia also. But I have decided I must learn some practical language skills first.

I've heard the Hermitage is in an interesting state of preservation/decay. There was a travel article in our paper a few months ago about how some areas are pristine and sacred, and others the curtains have fallen down and the sun is baking priceless paintings. The author of the piece tried to hang the curtains back up, only to be yelled at by their Russian tour guide.

I also know they have alot of cats who reside full time there to eat the rats.

AvsGirl41 said:

I am dying to go everywhere in Russia also. But I have decided I must learn some practical language skills first.

I think it's really helpful if you can read Russian, even if your spoken language isn't that great.

I've been to St Petersburg three times while we still lived in Russia. It really is a stunning place with so much to see; although Moscow is much older and has more of the ancient Russian stuff about it. Unless you're really fond of winter I'd recommend going during the summer; we lived in Siberia so from my perspective it's not exactly brutally cold but still.

The Hermitage Museum is absolutely huge and takes ages to explore; we've been there twice and each time spent about 3-4 hours looking at artworks, and we still haven't seen all, :)

anitram said:

I think it's really helpful if you can read Russian, even if your spoken language isn't that great.

Yes! I would be happy if I *read* Russian at this point. :huh:

I've heard it's easier than speaking it which gives me hope. I'm trying to find a decent "teach yourself" course since courses are impossible to find here in Colorado. :sigh:

Russian is actually very easy to read, a letter always has the same sound, it doesn't change phonetically like English. It's just a matter of learning the cyrillic. You shouldn't have much trouble. :)

I've been to St.Petersburg a lot of times. Well, I have relatives there. And I must say it's my favourite city in Russia. Never been to Hermitage though, but if you wanna see it all you probably gonna need a week.
About Russian language. First of all the alphabet is a bitch. I have an experience of teaching my girlfriend (english speaking).
The sounds are worse. English speaking pearson's mouth just can't go the right way. It's not impossible, but you have to try hard.
Well English isn't that easy either.

How much English do the people there speak? Russian looks impossible to learn from the times IWB has pasted up some MSpaint writing. Thanks for the info everyone, and welcome Vladjusha :)

Bear what's Russian Ark? I reckon we should go to St Pete's for our honeymoon.
:grumpy:

The Slavic languages are a bitch, even the ones in our alphabet, like Czech and Polish. I'm way too much of a linguistic klutz to learn Russian.

There's a poster here, Aine, who lives there and is a guide at one of the museums. I hope she shows up!:)

U2Kitten said:
There's a poster here, Aine, who lives there and is a guide at one of the museums. I hope she shows up!:)

really?? get her here now, i want to talk to her.

err, sorry for sounding so demanding.

angie, it's a movie. if i can find it in my shit town in the middle of nowhere, i'm sure you'll be able to as well. it might be boring to you, but the whole movie is shot in the hermitage and gives you a very real appreciation of the building.

Zoomerang96 said:

angie, it's a movie. if i can find it in my shit town in the middle of nowhere, i'm sure you'll be able to as well. it might be boring to you, but the whole movie is shot in the hermitage and gives you a very real appreciation of the building.

thanks muchly. it wont be boring. i'm currently in the process of watching a 6 dvd doco on the hermitage which many would find for all intents and purposes, boring.
not i, said the fly.

:up:

excellent. xeidon's got a big thread on the movie in the appropriate forum...check it out for some interesting reviews.

Angela Harlem said:
I have to go there one day. Any Russians posting on here?

Hi,I'm sort of an Interference veteran :wink: I don't post a lot these days except in my own thread in Discotheque though but if there's anything you'd like to know about the Hermitage and all the other places - well,I might be able to help you out as I'm from St.Petersburg and visit the Hermitage quite often (I also work as a guide) - it's one of my most favourite places in St.Peter's in fact!:)

Btw,merry Christmas and a happy New Year to everyone!:)

U2Kitten said:

Oh yeah;) Just got your email - I'll reply shortly:) Have you seen the Russian Ark mentioned by Zoomerang96? It's very,very good,
I'm sure you'd love it!

Btw guys sorry to butt in but I've met quite a lot of Westerners who spoke almost perfect Russian so obviously it depends on the person and their goals.

Back
Top Bottom