The Hermitage, St Petersburg Russia - anyone been there? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2004, 03:47 PM   #31
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:30 PM
can you please explain what it's like?

is there any special nod or recognition to the certain areas where the tsar and his wife acknowledged the "changing of the guard" when the imperial officers were replaced with bolshevik ones?

actually, i guess i'm just asking if there's any documentation or acknowledgement of the revolution? surely this is a dumb question...

Old 01-12-2005, 03:32 AM   #32
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:30 PM
Tsarskoe Selo is actually a large palace-and-park complex,part of which is 18 century and another part associated with the last Imperial Family (the Alexandrovsky Palace where they lived after Nicholas II abdicated and became Colonel Alexander Romanov,the Provisional Government,which was made up mostly of middle class liberals,took over the power and Russia became a republic).You can get all the historical information you want there but if you're particularly interested in things realted to the Bolshevik revolution itself ,the Hermitage is probably a more likely place to visit.Hope I don't sound too guide-y?

Old 01-12-2005, 03:48 AM   #33
Refugee

isnt hermitage.. where they hid all the priceless pieces of artwork and stuff. there was like the underground railroad for art that led to that place during the war so it could be saved
Old 01-12-2005, 05:55 AM   #34
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Aine
Colonel Alexander Romanov
Sorry,I meant Nicholas Alexandrovich Romanov of course!
Old 01-12-2005, 07:42 AM   #35
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by carrieluvv
isnt hermitage.. where they hid all the priceless pieces of artwork and stuff. there was like the underground railroad for art that led to that place during the war so it could be saved

Not exactly.The Hermitage Museum contains a vast collection of artwork,so part of it was packed in the boxes and evacuated to Sverdlovsk in the Urals (by trucks and then by the special train but not underground)when the war broke out and part was hidden in the museum's basement and deep in the ground in the inner yard (especially the statues).The Winter Palace
which was the winter residence of the Russian tsars since 18c is now a part of the Hermitage museum and it's the place where the ministers of the Provisional government were arrested by the Bolsheviks back in October 1917.The room where it all took place is actually rather small but it's kind of got the atmosphere.
Hope you find this helpful...
Old 01-12-2005, 08:06 AM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:30 PM
Track down Interference member Angel. If I recall correctly, she has visited Russia a number of times and lived there for a period of time.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:39 AM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:30 PM
Thanks Aine!
Old 01-12-2005, 12:14 PM   #38
Acrobat

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
Thanks Aine!
You're welcome!
Btw I remember Angel,she's a very nice person from Canada and
has indeed been to St.Petersburg.I even remember her saying
something in Russian at some point.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:51 PM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life

angel is indeed a very fine lady.

she's been to russia once, including ekaterinburg! i'd LOVE to go to the urals...

aine, please please PLEASE explain more what it's like to be at tsarskoe selo. that is like my internal shrine, i must go there it's the most interesting place in the world (in my mind at least).

and i've never understood alexandrovich, etc. these names, they're crazy to me. same with nikolaivich or something.

please be my guide! type as much as you can, and know that at least i will read it from top to bottom...
Old 01-12-2005, 10:53 PM   #40
Jesus Online

Local Time: 08:30 AM
Bear I finally watched Russian Ark.
The guy in the cloak/coat irritated me, but it was great watching the events and eras through each stage.
And I have to confess I rolled my eyes at the end when the door opened to the sea. But it was great seeing more of it

Thanks Aine too for all your info! It's very helpful. You're so lucky!
Old 01-13-2005, 10:23 AM   #41
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem

And I have to confess I rolled my eyes at the end when the door opened to the sea. But it was great seeing more of it

that's really too bad, cause honestly that's my favourite part. it's surreal...

and the sea is right outside the hermitage anyway, it's not like they just put it there for extra effect.

so in other words, love it like i do.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:32 AM   #42
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96
aine, please please PLEASE explain more what it's like to be at tsarskoe selo. that is like my internal shrine, i must go there it's the most interesting place in the world (in my mind at least).
I love TS a lot,it's 20-30 mins from the city and it's a great place to stroll about,full of ghosts (but seriously,I once met a very suspicious looking red cat in one of its parks,it stared at me for a whole minute and then disappeared... I still believe it was on of the courtiers... ) and very diverse in terms of culture. I really think you should go there and see everything for yourself ... but first tell me what it is that made it your shrine..if you don't mind me asking of course.

and i've never understood alexandrovich, etc. these names, they're crazy to me. same with nikolaivich or something.
[/QUOTE]

Nah,it's pretty easy,it's patronymic.Alexandrovich= the son of Alexander etc.It's the same like for example MacPhisto is Phisto's
son... I know they have patronymics in Iceland and in most Slavonic countries.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:37 AM   #43
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96

that's really too bad, cause honestly that's my favourite part. it's surreal...

and the sea is right outside the hermitage anyway, it's not like they just put it there for extra effect.
I agree it's a great one (sorry Angela! ) it's not the sea though,
it's the Neva. My windows actually overlook the Neva (not that I
live in the Hermitage ... )
Old 01-14-2005, 03:32 PM   #44
ONE
love, blood, life

but isn't the neva connected to the sea?

regardless, thanks for sharing all this. i must, must go there one day.

and seriously, about the ghosts, it's gotta be haunted. tell more stories! more more more selo! :lamewink:
Old 01-14-2005, 04:22 PM   #45
War Child

Local Time: 05:30 PM
I was in St. Petersburg for five days in September and I loved it! The language barrier isn't that big of a problem, but my parents and I didn't feel safe enough to go around the city on our own without a native Russian. After about three days, though, I could read signs and pronounce a lot of words, but I wasn't able to understand what most of the signs meant- I could just switch the lettering into our alphabet.
The Hermitage is AMAZING!!!!! I think it's better than the Louvre somehow. We hired a guide via this little tourist desk at our hotel ( Pribatiyskaya Hotel) so there were only 4 of us in the group with the very knowledgeable guide. The museum is incredible- the collections are amazing- it's too much to take in. Spend as much time there as huumanly possible if you're an art lover.
I didn't go to Tsarskoe Selo but I did go to Peterhof which is gorgeous. St. Petersburg has some beautiful buldings, palaces and museums, and I wish I could have stayed longer b/c I didn't get to go to Tsarskoe Selo or the Russian Museum or where Dostoevsky lived.