The Guys' Gym

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ewen

Rock n' Roll Doggie
The Guy's Gym

okay, the girls have their thread ("The Diminishing Divas") and I'm sure all the guys have given it respect and not posted in it.

this is a similar thread but for males. now, i am truly serious about this - this is not a mickey taking thing on the women's thread.

now i've got that out of the way......

i gave up smoking about three and a half weeks ago. i am now wanting to start some excercise routine. i used to do a lot of sport such as soccer and squash as well as judo and boxing (briefly and years ago). these days i don't do anything other than maybe walk.

any of you guys recommend some excercises to do on a daily basis. please keep it clean, i know you're all itching to come out with the obvious - i beat you to it. i'm just wanting to get fit, not loose weight, i feel i'm the right weight for my height. i do feel very unfit though.

anyway, i'll leave it at that for the now.

Last edited:
WinnieThePoo said:
running , open air , 60 mins

:up: I just got into running again and it makes you feel so much better. Sometimes the first mile or so is hell but once you get going, it really lifts the spirits. I am planning on running a 10 mile run in early October, so I should have plenty of time to attain that. I am currently going about 3 1/2 miles before I have to walk for a few minutes.

Though, if you don't want to lose weight, you may want to do some lifting as well so that you don't just get skinny from running. I would still recommend running though as weight lifting does not give the same cardiovascular benefits.

I'm there! Let's get pumped up!

arn_hanz_franz.jpg

i'm definately going to be doing the running. that's something else i used to do and is much easier to pick up on again of course than the other sporting activities.

weightlifting i'll probably certainly avoid since i really don't want to be in a gym, stuck between Hulk Hogan and Vin Diesel. I'd also feel a little embarassed going to buy weights for home....plus there's no real room for a proper weight-training bench in my flat:

equ_bench.jpg

lol, i know that's a kid's one, just thought it would be funny after finding it when Googling for weight-training benches.

i'd be interested to know of exercise routines such as squats, sit ups and push ups. if you know of any good web-sites that can recommend an exercise programme to follow

Last edited:
c'mon girls - us guys have left your threads alone! i.e. " the diminishing divas"

seriously, that's pretty annoying.

:mad:

thanks girls for probably killing what was shaping out to be a mature talk between adult men about our fitness.

edited to say that the sentence above is 'sarcastic' in response to Dave's posting below.

Last edited:
I really hope that was sarcasm. :|

I shoud get to the gym. Maybe I'll start after my birthday (once the hangover wears off).

yeah dave, it was sarcasm.

i know us men can be too proud to talk about stuff like fitness etc (particularly any lack of it) but i'm not ashamed to say i'm feeling really shite in terms of my fitness and would like to discuss or whatever with other guys.

edited to add: i should say, or clarify, that i am ashamed to be feeling unfit just not ashamed to admit or discuss it.

Last edited:
Alright, just making sure. :up:

I feel bad about it too, I know I should be doing something for myself but I just can never get motivated to do it. :sigh:

My wife keeps calling me a girl because of my obsession with what I am eating and how much I am running. :shrug: Fine, I will be a girl then, but an in-shape one. :wink:

Seriously, I just feel better when I am in-shape.

Last edited:
DaveC,

but you must be reasonably fit or in at least better shape than i am if you're regularly doing hockey, even refereeing.

since moving to the city, some 8 years ago, i stopped participating in any team sports - i used to when i lived 200 miles away in my home town - i played soccer.

and then i stopped doing things like squash or climbing. none of my friends down here in the city give a shit - they just want to smoke or get drunk. except for my friend Dave who is over in Peru for a few years. i did some climbing with him.

i was over in eastern europe last summer and played some soccer with some locals - in the heat it almost killed me. i've always played sports to keep fit but i'm going to have to do the whole personal exercise routine thing instead.

bsp77 said:

Seriously, I just feel better when I am in-shape.

that's all i want - i want to feel better and motivated - don't want massive muscles. i think if i'm physically fit i will also be mentally fitter.

i've been trying some exercises but i never know what order i should be doing them in, how long i should do them or if i'm even doing them right.

even if you dont have any exercise equipment, running 3 days a week, doing pushups and situps the other 3 days, and taking one day off can do a lot of good

when i first decided i wanted to get serious about working out one summer i went to this website and used its advice

http://www.intense-workout.com/

i lost 40 pounds that summer and was in the best shape of my life, so there is some really good advice there. ive recently started back up on a workout routine and it really does make you feel better

nbcrusader said:

Why do you think we work out?

To look at ourselves in the mirror????

what?

if you want to be superficial and work out to the extent of looking good then do whatever and do not comment on my personal motivations.

i gave up smoking four weeks ago, for the same reason that i am wanting to get fit...... i.e. i want to live to be 50!!

i don't want huge muscles....i want to be fit! did i mention anything about looks????

I think it's good that we have this thread, in all seriousness. I know it can sometimes be just as hard for men to talk about body issues and so forth, and that sometimes men can feel they face pressure to look or feel a certain way just as women do.

I hope the guys know that they should be, and are, just as safe to talk about these things here as the gals are.

:: leaves boy thread for real and politely asks the gals to do the same :: ;)

for whatever it's worth, I used to run track but since a back injury I now use a NordicTrak and the thing is just amazing. that and the B-man's preferred exercise - swimming - brings up a lot of endurance and strength without building weird muscles where you don't necessarily want them etc. great for the breathing and cardio fitness...

Ran 4 miles w/o walking yesterday. :rockon: Took Ruby (Yellow Lab) with me too and she seemed to enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom