The Guys' Gym - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2005, 01:15 PM   #46
Refugee

Local Time: 01:46 PM
It just pisses me off the way I exercise for a while and then quit. I had been running pretty heavily from February through April of this year and had jumped from 2 to 6 miles. Then I got sick and then my wife and I got a puppy. And I haven't run since. I am just starting back up again and can only run about 3 miles and am looking way too "soft". If I had kept my running up I would be in great shape now.

I am also going to Hawaii in January so I have to keep at it this time so I don't feel as self-conscious. I am certainly not in bad shape but I know I can do so much better. Plus, I really enjoy the running. I go with the older dog and can listen to my iPod.

Something else fun I discovered recently. We moved into an old house with an old clothesline in back that has an iron bar about 7 feet off the group. Perfect for pull-ups/chin-ups, just about the greatest exercise.

Old 08-23-2005, 12:06 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC
I'm moving into the dorm at school in 2 weeks from today ( ) and with that comes a free membership to the gym across the street. I figure that an opportunity like this should not be passed up, but it seems that previously whenever I went to go to the gym I never really was sure what I should do for a weight routine/how much cardio to do, etc. So, my question to you guys is what I should be doing in the gym? I'm not looking to get into a bodybuilder's physique or anything, just bigger, with a modest amount of definition.

I'm 5'11" and weigh 120-125, and it shows, I'm insanely skinny. I play hockey, so I'm not out of shape, but I want to be able to build up some muscle.

Any suggestions on what I should be doing in terms of a routine? Keep in mind that I don't want to spend hours every day in the gym.

Old 08-23-2005, 12:14 PM   #48
Refugee

Local Time: 01:46 PM
Hi DaveC, guess you want an answer, eh?

Well, the main thing would be to target different muscle groups on different days. Chest, Tricep and Shoulder (Deltoids) naturally go together as benching and push ups work on all three, but primarily chest. That leaves biceps, back and legs for the other day. You can throw abs in whenever you want.

It is also important to mix it up. While bench is the most popular choice for the chest, don't just do it the same way everytime. Try it on an incline or even a decline. Also, throw in some flys for your chest as well. It gives more movement. Look online for all the diffenet exercises you can do for each muscle group.

I would also recommend using free weights if you can. Using free weigths forces you to balance in addition to lifting so it helps bulk up. Just make sure you have a partner if you are going to lifting any heavy weights over any portion of your body.

And, lastly, take it SLOW at first. I worked my biceps too heavily the first time and my arms would not straighten for two days. Really sucked.

In terms of cardio, sounds like you may not need it as much. Maybe run a mile or two at the beginning of each workout to get the blood flowing. It helps.

Hope that helps some.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:02 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:46 PM
Thanks. I had a gym membership for a while to a different one, but it cost an exorbitant amount of money for a consultation, so all I ended up doing was cardio until my legs burned out and then whatever was available on free weights for about half an hour. Needless to say I was just noodling around, got bored of it and got a refund on my membership a week later.