The guitar solo in High and Dry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnforgettableLemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
anybody else think it sounds very Edge-like?

------------------
And you brighten my life like a polystyrene hat
But it melts in the sun like a life without love
And I've waited for you so i'll keep holding onWithout you

yes, and its very easy to play, anyone can play it...

in case you want to play it, or anyone else, its all on the high e (high string)

(frets)

5-5-4-5--5-4-5--5-4-5-7-5-4--5-5-4-5--5-4-2

repeat that once.

------------------
-deathbear

I REALLY need to learn to play my guitar. I still don't understand tabs or music or anything.
frown.gif

Originally posted by Zoomerang96:
i dont know much either, but if you want to learn how to play something that sounds good AND is easy to play, play what i just typed in my previous post.

i dont mean to sound like a cock here, but did you know what i meant with what i wrote before?

in case you didnt, all you gotta do is pick up the guitar and worry about the thinnest string. the whole solo is played on that one string alone.

the numbers i wrote were frets. so a 5 would be one pick on fret five. its that easy. as soon as you pick up the guitar and try it youll see how easy it is. good luck.

I sortta get it (and this is made more tragic by the fact that I actually took guitar lessons a year ago), but it just never sounds right. I don't know if I don't play it fast enough or what. I'll try it when I get home and see if it sounds anything like real music. Thanks!
smile.gif

i dont know much either, but if you want to learn how to play something that sounds good AND is easy to play, play what i just typed in my previous post.

i dont mean to sound like a cock here, but did you know what i meant with what i wrote before?

in case you didnt, all you gotta do is pick up the guitar and worry about the thinnest string. the whole solo is played on that one string alone.

the numbers i wrote were frets. so a 5 would be one pick on fret five. its that easy. as soon as you pick up the guitar and try it youll see how easy it is. good luck.

------------------
-deathbear

Originally posted by Zoomerang96:
yes, and its very easy to play, anyone can play it...

in case you want to play it, or anyone else, its all on the high e (high string)

(frets)

5-5-4-5--5-4-5--5-4-5-7-5-4--5-5-4-5--5-4-2

repeat that once.

Zoomerang, this is incorrect.

The solo is played on the B string as follows:

e|------------------------------------------
B|--5-5-4-5-5-4-5-5-4-5/7-5-4-5-5-4-5-5-2-0-

-0---------------|
---0-2/4-4-4-|

Also if you're interested, the chords are

B A E
e|-2--0---0--|
B|-4--2--0--|
G|-4--2--1--|
D|-4--2--2--|
A|-2--0--2--|
E|-X--0--0--|

You're right the solo does sound very Edge style. Simple and effective.

[This message has been edited by pr0digy (edited 05-08-2002).]

thats the way ma told me how to play ta geetar!!!

thanks for sharing that. now that there folks, is the RIGHT way to play.

------------------
after years of waiting, nothing came.

I have a friend who believes that the start of Beautiful Day is a direct copy of the start of Planet Telex.

Of course I told him that they are separate chords, its the just the synth effect that sounds similar.

Originally posted by meegannie:
It still looks scary to me.
well, I have had guitar lessons for about 3 years and is doesn't look like a solo to me (if I wouldn't have known different I would have thought it would be a second guitar line)

so we're about even

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by Salome:
well, I have had guitar lessons for about 3 years and is doesn't look like a solo to me (if I wouldn't have known different I would have thought it would be a second guitar line)

so we're about even

I suddenly feel smarter!
biggrin.gif

[edit: Well, I did before I had to edit that.
frown.gif
]

[This message has been edited by meegannie (edited 05-09-2002).]

:huh: this is a very old thread

and it took me friggin forever to figure out what song 'high and dry' was...:der:

yeah, i got that it was radiohead.

for some reason i don't know why zoodeathbear's replies didn't tip me off right away.

i haven't listened to radiohead in a while :hmm: i should do that sometime soon.

I've been binging ever since RademR posted that show. I forgot how much I love them. I think I need to give HTTT another chance, too.

:mad: at not having Pablo Honey, Kid A, Amenesiac, and HTTT here at school

:) at having THE BENDS, Ok Computer, and IMBW Live Recordings.

I think Thom sounds Bono-like the second time he sings "it's gonna be a glorious day" in Lucky.

Looks like I'm not the only one who went Radiohead crazy over the weekend. I was on a roadtrip to Colorado and I think I went through almost every record except the oft-neglected PH. HTTT got played twice because it's so good on the road. :)

Back
Top Bottom