The Great White North - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2006, 09:48 PM   #76
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:01 AM
I have to agree with the the Fleurdelisé being the pimpest provincial flag. I feel a connection to Montreal and Quebec despite being a mostly English speaker in this French province.

I really enjoy the cultural mix that you get in the metropolitan areas, and as a white guy living downtown I'm usually outnumbered by any number of culturally diverse groups.

The thing is, despite people being from Middle Eastern, Asian, Eastern European, or North American backgrounds, and everyone having their own heritage, people have a strong Canadian identity.

Old 10-30-2006, 09:51 PM   #77
War Child

Local Time: 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Badyouken

Bingo. As a Québécois, I feel no ties to the Queen or to the UK in general. I'm not a separatist, I believe in a strong united Canada, but I think what makes this country unique is the mix of French and English culture. French Canadians are not well represented on this board, but one must not forget that we make about 25% of the country. Canada is so large that sometimes it's hard to believe we all live in the same country -- we are definitely different from each other, but together we make this country better than a cheap US or UK knock off.

I think DaveC did a good job describing the country and its history. Regarding the national anthem, I'd like to point out that it was originally written as a French Canadian anthem by Calixa Lavallée. I like it, although I must admit it's not the case for every Canadian, as many Quebeckers refuse to sing it for political reasons... I think the theme to "Hockey Night in Canada" is the unofficial anthem

With all due respect I still believe the Québec flag is the nicest, even though the New Brunswick flag is pretty awesome too.
No Union Jack there, obviously.

About 85-90% of the Québec population speaks French as a first language. The English minority is mainly concentrated in Montréal, the Outaouais region (north of Ottawa) and in the Eastern Townships, near the US border. We speak the same French as in France, albeit with a different accent (think of the difference between the accents of a Brit and an American from Mississippi ) which is quite similar to the accent of 18th century French. Of course, we understand the French perfectly and they understand us as well (we make fun of their accent, and they make fun of ours). We use some regional expressions here and there, and do not swear the same way. Most French swear words are from sexual vocabulary, while French Canadian swear words are from religious vocabulary (Québec was a very religious state until the 1960s. It has dramatically changed since then). Québec keeps close ties with France.

The main city is Montréal: a cosmopolitan city with both old and modern architecture; the feel is a cross between America and Europe. Prides itself as being the 2nd largest French-speaking city in the world after Paris.

Other major city: Québec City, famous for its old town with narrow streets.

Unfortunately, the language barrier often prevents good communication between English and French Canada (the "two solitudes"). But the country works well as a whole.

It's a great place to live in. We have four *really* different seasons, great variety in geography, landscape, culture and music. And everybody loves us

Thanks for the great pictures, Badyouken! Montreal is probably my favoutie city in Canada. I fell in love with it back when I was a young Loris still in school. Putin, multi story bars, bringing your own wine to restaurants, well dressed women! Ah, memories...

Old 11-03-2006, 11:05 AM   #78
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:01 AM

I never realized Vancouver was so beautiful! I thought it was right on the ocean, much like Halifax is.

I'm going for a walk downtown today to my mom's office...maybe I'll bring my camera with me and show you folks what Halifax is all about.

I love Newfoundland, but I wouldn't go so far as to say the Republic of Newfoundland flag inspired the Irish flag. I'd give that one more to Italy, thanks.

Quebec is absolutely gorgeous in the old city, too - I was there for a Grade 9 French Immersion field trip for a week, and although we really never left the Old City, it really does feel like you've been transported back two centuries! There's even a tree on Rue St-Jean (I think) with a cannonball still lodged in it from the English bombardment before the Battle of the Plains of Abraham.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:11 AM   #79
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160
The thing is, despite people being from Middle Eastern, Asian, Eastern European, or North American backgrounds, and everyone having their own heritage, people have a strong Canadian identity.
Another great thing about Canada.

When an immigrant moves to the US, they teach the immigrant about American culture and traditions, and the immigrant is expected to learn it all and become a part of it.

When an immigrant moves to Canada, we want them to teach us about their culture - and retain it. We don't want them to be just like us.

But everyone is still a Canadian, just one more different piece to this beautiful puzzle that fits together perfectly
Old 11-03-2006, 01:58 PM   #80
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC

When an immigrant moves to the US, they teach the immigrant about American culture and traditions, and the immigrant is expected to learn it all and become a part of it.

When an immigrant moves to Canada, we want them to teach us about their culture - and retain it. We don't want them to be just like us.
I would substitute "Europe" for "US"/"American" above.
And I also think it's partly a urban versus rural issue.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:09 PM   #81
Blue Crack Addict

No, there's no substitution with Europe or urban/rural thing. I meant it like I said. Ever hear of the "melting pot" philosophy?

So it turns out I took 44 pictures of Halifax on my walk this afternoon! I'm going to sort out what's good, and post 'em when I'm done.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:37 PM   #82
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Regardless, the US is in much higher demand by immigrants.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:46 PM   #83
Blue Crack Addict

So?
Old 11-03-2006, 03:59 PM   #84
Blue Crack Addict

The Walking Tour of Halifax

Well, here's Halifax at a glance. It's going to be about 30 photos in total, so be prepared!

The Public Gardens are Halifax's main downtown green space. It's the closest thing in Canada to a true Victorian garden that's left. This is right after I walked in the gates.

The pond in Public Gardens.

These swans (there are two caged adults and a free-roaming baby) have been in the Gardens ever since I can remember.

Hundreds of ducks make the Gardens their home in the summer. These are those that haven't flown south for the winter yet. The white one is the baby swan.

More ducks in the Gardens.

The other side of the swan enclosure. That's a pigeon standing in the stream.

Another shot down a path in the Gardens.

This is Citadel Hill from the bottom, the entire reason for Halifax's existence. The British built the fort at the top of the hill in 1749 to counter the presence of the French at Louisbourg. It's the centrepiece of the Halifax Defense Complex, which also includes George's Island (in the Harbour) and York Redoubt (in Spryfield).

The North End of Halifax, as seen from the top of the landward side of Citadel Hill.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:01 PM   #85
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by ntalwar
Regardless, the US is in much higher demand by immigrants.
It's not as cold there. Big deal.

Halifax looks beautiful - I'd love to go and I hear the ride from Ottawa to Halifax is stunning as well.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:08 PM   #86
Blue Crack Addict

The West End of Halifax from the same spot. The building under construction is Citadel High School.

The north Harbour from Citadel Hill. Across the water is the city of Dartmouth.

Straight out to the water from the Citadel. The ugly flat building is the Halifax Metro Centre, where we have all our hockey games and concerts.

Another shot out to the Harbour. The (old) white building is the Old Town Clock, built by Prince Edward so that the town's residents could properly keep time without having to rely on the sun.

Inside the Citadel. This is Halifax's number one tourist destination and is extremely busy during the summer.

The South End of Halifax from the Citadel. My house is just off to the right of this photo (although you can't see it from there)

Looking out to sea. The small island is George's Island, and the larger one further out is called McNab's Island.

Halifax's most (in)famous nightclub, the Palace. Many a debauchery has taken place there.

Looking up at Citadel Hill from the downtown side.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:19 PM   #87
Blue Crack Addict

Pizza Corner, Halifax's favourite post-bar hangout. There are pizza places on three of the four corners (a church is on the other corner). The bars here close at 3:30 am, but the party doesn't stop at Pizza Corner until sunrise, and everyone's here.

For Nova Scotian beer drinkers, this place is the Holy of Holies - the original Alexander Keith's brewery. Beer is still brewed here, but only for the tours that come through 8,000 times a day. Keith's brewed for distribution comes out of the Oland's Brewery in the North End. There's also an amazing Farmer's Market here every Saturday morning.

This is Canada's Ellis Island, known as Pier 21. Nearly 1,200,000 immigrants passed through here between 1928 and 1971. There is a railway line literally 10 feet from the front door that used to take settlers west as soon as they got off the boat.

This is where cruise ships dock in Halifax (off to the right of the picture), and tourists are directed right down to the Harbour boardwalk. That tall ship isn't an uncommon sight in Halifax, and during tourist season the boardwalk usually has no less than 10 sailing ships docked at a time.

Dartmouth from the Halifax side.

George's Island, a little closer. They're trying to renovate the defense facilities to make a new National Historic Site and complete the Halifax Defense Complex.

The tugboats of the Harbour.

And the more familiar Halifax tugboat, Theodore!
Old 11-03-2006, 04:22 PM   #88
Blue Crack Addict

Looking up George Street, from the waterfront to Citadel Hill.

This is Summit Place, built in 1994. The G7 summit was held here in 1995.

These are some of the original buildings of Halifax, known as Historic Properties. They used to be a haven for privateers, but now there's a bar inside, and a lot of knicknack shops.

That's it! I realized halfway home that I forgot to take a photo of City Hall, but you're just going to have to live with it.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:27 PM   #89
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by ladywithspinninghead

Halifax looks beautiful - I'd love to go and I hear the ride from Ottawa to Halifax is stunning as well.
It looks nice, but not as scenic as I imagined. I'll stick to Vancouver as my favorite Canadian city for scenery.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:42 PM   #90
Blue Crack Addict

What else were you expecting...?