The Great White North

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I desperately want to go to Vancouver now that I've seen photos.

But that'll have to wait a while - I just found out that I'm (probably) going to LA for Spring Break this year, courtesy of my parents! :hyper: I've only ever left the Maritimes four times in my entire life, so this is massive news!! :D

You know, it occured to me that if we took away Quebec, my Constitutional Law text would go down from about 800 pages to 100 and if we could just get rid of Alberta too, that should shave off another 90 pages.

:wink:

anitram said:
You know, it occured to me that if we took away Quebec, my Constitutional Law text would go down from about 800 pages to 100 and if we could just get rid of Alberta too, that should shave off another 90 pages.

:wink:

Canada is a very complex read. :wink:

GibsonGirl said:
Haha, you guys have snow already. We're not far off, though...

It actually snowed (or maybe hailed) outside my place today. It was weird, because it was sunny at the same time.

Your pics are awesome, GG. :drool: I've never done that trail, but it looks otherworldly and truly tempting (he said, in his hiker man voice). Hiking is one of my favourite things to do, so I just might have to set my sights on that place soon.

Speaking of the great outdoors, you can't beat the West Coast of Newfoundland! (It's also where I'm originally from, so there's a certain built-in bias involved here.)

I took these last year, during a trip to Gros Morne National Park, which is about 8 hours from St. John's.

oct15014ys8.jpg

oct15021ji9.jpg

oct15012ep8.jpg

oct15008eh3.jpg

trevster2k said:

And GG, you're right, Trinity Loop is the last remnant of the Newfoundland railway, I only rode on a Newfoundland train once when I was a little kid.

I never did get around to taking a ride :sad: I came close, just before it shut down in 1988. The railway was giving free rides as part of a last hurrah kind of thing, and my entire family (except for me, of course) went along. I think I was in Ontario on a summer trip of some kind. But the whole railway story here is interesting, and the reasons given for uprooting it are practical, but also silly. It was basically a funding issue between the federal and provincial governments. Claims were made that it was too expensive to maintain--so to help alleviate the situation, the federal government gave us a "Roads for Rails" deal. Basically, they poured major amounts of money into highway infrastructure while they ripped up the railway beds. I can understand the finances of it all, but I think that the tracks should have been left for scenic tours for tourists and locals right across the province.

Rant, rant! :rant:

Last edited:
DaveC said:
I desperately want to go to Vancouver now that I've seen photos.

But that'll have to wait a while - I just found out that I'm (probably) going to LA for Spring Break this year, courtesy of my parents! :hyper: I've only ever left the Maritimes four times in my entire life, so this is massive news!! :D
Yes, you should convince your parents to go to the "other" west coast city. Vancouver is Hollywood North now, you know. :wink:

Actually, LA is much better in the winter. Go there, enjoy the sun and the California palm trees....say hi to Dan Cloutier for me. :wink:

Presently in my corner of the Great White North, it is -16 C going to a low of -21 tonight, which reminds me, I better go plug in my car.

We also have about 15 cm of snow on the ground, snow tires go on tomorrow.

Last edited:
Some of my only decent pictures of the Vancouver area that I could find:

P7260129.jpg

P7260150.jpg

These were taken at the Celebration of Light (fireworks competition) earlier this summer

P9220042.jpg

View2.jpg

These were taken on the Sunshine Coast, where I lived for 8 years. It's a 40 minute ferry ride away from Vancouver. I really need to take more pictures of the area - it's such a beautiful place!

Last edited:
DaveC said:
We're getting so many pictures of the coasts - how about one of our Ontario denizens takes some photos? :)

I'll work on it over the next few weeks
:up:

I was actually thinking the same thing yesterday when catching up on this thread. I think I've got some good spots in mind that are all within a few hrs drive to get some variety.

ThoraSEB said:
Some of my only decent pictures of the Vancouver area that I could find:

P7260129.jpg

View2.jpg

These were taken on the Sunshine Coast, where I lived for 8 years. It's a 40 minute ferry ride away from Vancouver. I really need to take more pictures of the area - it's such a beautiful place!

Re: the 1st picture - great shot.....English Bay has to have one of the most unique atmospheres in Canada.....the ocean staring out between the Coastal Mountains and Vancouver Island, while the sun always setting back into that familiar light that's only found in that part of BC. It has to be my very favourite part of downtown Vancouver.

Re: the 2nd picture - Isn't the Sunshine Coast incredible? I should find some pics of that area....with all those islands and mountains jetting into the ocean....oh, and of course, Arbutus trees! It's a breathtaking area.

Whenever I see pictures of the west coast, it brings me back to when I was 7 or 8 when I couldn't miss an episode of Littlest Hobo. "There's a voice that keeps on calling me...." :wink:

Okay, so we're not as demonstratively patriotic as Americans are, but I'm sure you've all had this experience: have you ever had a situation where you're SO enveloped in Canadiana that you feel it seeping out of ever pore, and you just have to stop and think "damn, I'm glad I live here, and I'd rather be here than any place else?"

Last night, I saw Gordon Lightfoot perform at Massey Hall in Toronto. It's an annual event he does, several shows each November. Apparently, this year was his 39th. :ohmy:

If you youngsters out there don't know who I'm talking about, go here for a history lesson:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Lightfoot

I've never been more than a casual fan of Gord's, but I can remember when the 70's Canadian music scene was just starting to take off, back when pretty much all you heard as far as Canadian music goes was him, Anne Murray and The Guess Who. I grew up hearing his tunes as a young kid, and always felt this sort of pride when hearing them. He is about as Canadian as it gets. And, he was always just there. I grew up, my tastes evolved, the Canadian music scene exploded into what it is today, something I think we can all be immensely proud of.

Anyway, a couple of years ago, I was deeply affected and saddened when we almost lost him due to an abdominal aneurysm. Kept wondering why the hell I'd never seen him perform live. Thankfully, he recovered, and I promised myself I'd see him play.

Wow. He's 68 now, and visibly more frail. His voice isn't what it used to be, but he gathered steam as the night went on and seemed to get stronger and stronger. But my god, the songs! What an amazing wordsmith. It was an amazing show. Not flashy, very humble and understated. Very Canadian.

Some of the hits he played:

Cotton Jenny
Rainy Day People
Alberta Bound
The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald
Carefree Highway
Early Morning Rain
Baby Step Back
Canadian Railroad Trilogy
Beautiful
If You Could Read My Mind
Sundown

Gord announced several celebrities in attendance - Ronnie Hawkins (man, another legend, how awesome to see him! He walked by our section several times, stopping to pose for pictures with people, his personality so huge it nearly filled the entire hall! And his seats were several rows behind ours, showing that in Canada at least, celebrities are just ordinary folk :wink: ), former PM John Turner, and sports radio personality Bob McCown.

When I got home last night, I looked up reviews from a few of Gord's recent shows. While doing so, I discovered that he apparently had a mild stroke five weeks ago. :sad: Hopefully he'll have improved health and continue to play for us for many years to come, but I'm really grateful I got the chance to see him.

I posted this here rather than B&C because the night was about so much more than music for me. It was about our identity. It was about a Canadian hero. :)

VintagePunk said:

Gord announced several celebrities in attendance - Ronnie Hawkins (man, another legend, how awesome to see him! He walked by our section several times, stopping to pose for pictures with people, his personality so huge it nearly filled the entire hall! And his seats were several rows behind ours, showing that in Canada at least, celebrities are just ordinary folk :wink: ), former PM John Turner, and sports radio personality Bob McCown.

I posted this here rather than B&C because the night was about so much more than music for me. It was about our identity. It was about a Canadian hero. :)

Lucky you!! Canadian music is filled with amazing artists which most of our US neighbours have never heard. Gordon Lightfoot, Bruce Cockburn, and Neil Young would be one the greatest shows evah!!

Funny you mentioned the celebrities being average folk in Canada. I was listening to DNTO on CBC this past weekend. Sook-Yin was interviewing a couple of CFL players from the Argos. They played briefly in the NFL and have played here for a few years. Anyway, one mentioned how he loves how Canadians respect the celebrities and athletes but treat them as normal people. His perspective was that in the US, celebrities and athletes are respected too but are treated like gods and better than everyone else.

I have that attitude towards the famous people I have come across. I would totally feel comfortable chatting with Gord Downie or Geddy Lee instead of gushing over them. They are just a couple of Canadian dudes.:wink:

Lotsa Canadianisms in that post.:ohmy:

VintagePunk said:
Okay, so we're not as demonstratively patriotic as Americans are, but I'm sure you've all had this experience: have you ever had a situation where you're SO enveloped in Canadiana that you feel it seeping out of ever pore, and you just have to stop and think "damn, I'm glad I live here, and I'd rather be here than any place else?"

Two winters ago I was the perfect picture of Canadiana for a morning.

Picture the scene:

It's -35 outside, and 20 cm of newly-fallen snow is on the ground. It's 7:30 am and I'm sitting in a Tim Horton's with a hockey bag and stick at my feet, wearing a toque and those mitts with the cut-out fingers, blaring Tragically Hip on my iPod. I have never felt more Canadian in my life.

DaveC said:

Two winters ago I was the perfect picture of Canadiana for a morning.

Picture the scene:

It's -35 outside, and 20 cm of newly-fallen snow is on the ground. It's 7:30 am and I'm sitting in a Tim Horton's with a hockey bag and stick at my feet, wearing a toque and those mitts with the cut-out fingers, blaring Tragically Hip on my iPod. I have never felt more Canadian in my life.

Ha, that's great. :up: Would have made a great photo.

Speaking of Tim Horton's, am I the only one who thinks the new breakfast sandwiches are REVOLTING? Maybe it's just because I've only tried the sausage one...I'm scared to try the bacon.

P.S. Dear Newfoundland: please stop being windy. I nearly blew over into oncoming traffic today. Whilst standing, oh, about two metres from the road. Ah, November.

GibsonGirl said:
Speaking of Tim Horton's, am I the only one who thinks the new breakfast sandwiches are REVOLTING? Maybe it's just because I've only tried the sausage one...I'm scared to try the bacon.

Never had one before. I'm a little too scared to try. :lol: They don't look all that appetizing to me on the commercials.

Oh, and since it's nearly winter...

08.jpg

My mother digging out the van. I think this was taken two or three years ago.

10.jpg

Me digging out a pathway for the dog in the back garden. The snow was at about almost twice her height. The aftermath from the same blizzard in the photo above.

nl_03.jpg

My favourite winter past-time! Playing hockey REALLY BADLY! This was taken two years ago. I still can't skate after five years of trying, but Newfoundland will make a Canadian out of me one of these days. :wink:

nl_08.jpg

More skating. I look like I'm trying not to fall over, which is what usually happens.

nl_09.jpg

The town where my parents live after a mild snowfall. Note: mild.

I can't wait! [/sarcasm]

Those pictures of Gros Morne are beautiful, AOD. :up: I've only seen the place in winter. Definitely need to see it during summer.

ThoraSEB said:

Never had one before. I'm a little too scared to try. :lol: They don't look all that appetizing to me on the commercials.

They're not good at all. :huh: I thought they'd be something like the McDonald's McMuffins. But they use a bloody tea biscuit instead of an English muffin. I almost gagged right there in the Tim Horton's when I took my first bite.

Another Tim Horton's piece of info - if I go there around midnight-ish and order a box of 20 Timbits, they fill the box up till it's bulging! They must stuff about 50 Timbits in it! I'm sure they're trying to get rid of them before they get their next batch in, but they're not all stale, they're still fresh! The other night, we pushed the envelope and got two cookies as well. Lo and behold, there were four cookies in the bag! It's like we hit paydirt! :drool:

I'm almost feeling a little guilty about this. I never want Timbits at any other time of the day, I only stop in for late night Timbit booty calls because I know I'll get extra. I feel like I'm taking advantage of their Timbit kindness. :reject: And now there's the added temptation of extra cookies. :scream:

Does this extra food phenomenon occur at other Timmys, or is it unique at just the store closest to me? :shifty:

Btw, we had a high of 2C here today, but by Friday it's supposed to be up to 13C. :drool:

gah, the tim hortons around here is always void of any food by the time i get there after my hockey games. that's often around midnight or so.

pathetic really. why be open all night if you're not gonna have food?

i love canada.

I laugh and shake my head when I see the DT lineups at Tims for coffee. 15-20 cars lined up around the building waiting for a double-double. :lol:

trevster2k said:
I laugh and shake my head when I see the DT lineups at Tims for coffee. 15-20 cars lined up around the building waiting for a double-double. :lol:

The funniest thing is that there's usually never anyone IN the place. So you can pop in, get a cup of coffee, leave, and the drive-thru queue still hasn't moved one centimetre. Are people so lazy that they can't even get out of their cars for a minute?

I love seeing that, especially when I'm on foot! :lmao:

I haven't tried a TH breakfast sandwich, and although my aunt and uncle insist that they're good, I'm a little bit sketched out on Tim Hortons' meat. :huh:

Anyone else had to shovel snow off their roof yet?

First time of the year today. I figure at least two more times before the end of winter.

GibsonGirl said:

The funniest thing is that there's usually never anyone IN the place. So you can pop in, get a cup of coffee, leave, and the drive-thru queue still hasn't moved one centimetre. Are people so lazy that they can't even get out of their cars for a minute?

But to go off on a tangent, I am awaiting the day when there is a private member's bill suggesting the banning of Drive-Thrus as one method of limiting the contribution of greenhouse gases to the environment. There are a lot of idling cars sitting in lineups every day.

VintagePunk said:
Another Tim Horton's piece of info - if I go there around midnight-ish and order a box of 20 Timbits, they fill the box up till it's bulging! They must stuff about 50 Timbits in it! I'm sure they're trying to get rid of them before they get their next batch in, but they're not all stale, they're still fresh! The other night, we pushed the envelope and got two cookies as well. Lo and behold, there were four cookies in the bag! It's like we hit paydirt! :drool:

I'm almost feeling a little guilty about this. I never want Timbits at any other time of the day, I only stop in for late night Timbit booty calls because I know I'll get extra. I feel like I'm taking advantage of their Timbit kindness. :reject: And now there's the added temptation of extra cookies. :scream:

Does this extra food phenomenon occur at other Timmys, or is it unique at just the store closest to me? :shifty:

Btw, we had a high of 2C here today, but by Friday it's supposed to be up to 13C. :drool:

My local Tims does that too :up:

It wont stop raining here :(

I'm tired of having to boil my tap water then there is sooooooooooo much of it falling from the sky :shrug:

DaveC said:
Oh yeah, BC's under a boil water order. I heard that on the CBC the other day.

What for? :shrug:

We had a horrible storm last Wednesday, and that caused all sorts of lovely things to get into our water. It sounds pretty disgusting. From what I know, the water should be fine in all areas by the end of the week.

The advisory for my area has been lifted, but it totally sucks for all those who still have to boil the water. I went out for dinner downtown on Sunday night, and they poured water into our glasses from bottles. :giggle: That was a funny sight coming from a fancy restaurant!

GibsonGirl said:

Ha, that's great. :up: Would have made a great photo.

Hmm never tried it before. I stick to the great coffee and the doughnuts. :drool:

GibsonGirl said:
Oh my that's :combust:, but bend the knees, bend the knees! Low centre of gravity FTW.

240043735991317238dw7.jpg

Can't wait until the city of Montreal puts up the local park ice rinks for the season and my friends and I can go have a whack at it every Saturday morning.

DaveC said:
Oh yeah, BC's under a boil water order. I heard that on the CBC the other day.

What for? :shrug:

At one point, approximately 2 million people were under the advisory. Pretty unprecedented for an industrial country which supposedly has a plethora of clean water.

There were mudslides and large amounts of sediment which fell into the reservoirs for the region. This raised the turbidity level of the reservoirs. It is normally below 5 but the storm raised it up to as high as 80. The water is not filtered into the system so they could not remove the sediment from the water.

Canada is not very good at providing clean water or disposing of it either despite what we think. We have a lot of work to do.

Back
Top Bottom