The Great White North - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2006, 02:23 PM   #61
Refugee

Local Time: 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96
well... we're already part of the commonwealth.

what i want is to be back in the united kingdom. save us from america!
I understand your sentiment, and to a degree the thought of the old imperialist days is nostalgic to me. In terms of global perception though, I think most folks still associate Canada with the United Kingdom (as opposed to the United States), and our identity as a nation is still tied to the symbolic seat of the throne. There will be intermittent political phases where Canada will- under the philosophies of the party in power- fall in line with the interests of the States; but, there is not much historical precedent to give credence to the thought that an inextricable US-Canadian identity will be forged. As a colony country, Canada has experienced one of the more positive relationships with the UK (World Wars being the large exception), but I do not think that our identity will benefit from deferring to old ties or surrendering bits of sovereignty for schillings of cultural currency.

Identity, both individual and societal, is an important element to any country... and in a time where the notion of identity is becoming more commoditized and thematized in North America and Asia, do we need more external references or derivatives to place ourselves in the world? Pre-packaging (Arabian) nostalgia and bringing solidarity to a country of broad geography, diversity, and global citizenship is probably not the best step to take at the moment. In fact, pursuing a more homogenous connection with Britain would be more in line with the melting pot philosophy of the United States (which is an approach that is against the perception of Canada's general philosophy towards immigration and integration). Canada is a global country and that is our collective Undentity. Embrace the vagueness, guys. We do not need to be more than Commonwealth, in my opinion.

It's a good topic of discussion that you raised, deathbear. Well played.

cujo

Old 10-29-2006, 02:44 PM   #62
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Heaven In Alberta, Where We Got All Hell For A Basement..
Frozen land, frozen minds
Frozen hands and frozen time
‘Cause everything moves real slow when it’s forty below

time to get my parka out

Old 10-29-2006, 03:08 PM   #63
War Child

Local Time: 02:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl

I think she lives somewhere in Alberta.

Blah, I must say, the one thing I don't like about Canada is the weather. Anymore, at least. When we first got here it was a blast. It was snowing the day we first set foot on Canadian soil and neither of us had ever seen snow before. The lowest temperature I had ever experienced was 8 degrees, or something close to that! I remember the neighbours looking quizzically at us when we all set out to shovel the driveway together with huge grins on our faces. My sister and I actually fought over which one of us was going to put the salt down.

Now (and especially since I rely on public transport) I hate snow and winter in general.
Alright, sounds like you would definitely be a West Coast (Vancouver) girl if you don't like snow! (Be prepared for some winter rain, though.... )

Old 10-29-2006, 03:13 PM   #64
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:40 PM
I love Winter. My favourite season along with Summer.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:00 PM   #65
Protecting my eyes ARRRR!!!

Local Time: 03:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by lmjhitman

'cause the union jack is the freakin' coolest flag ever.

The Union Jack Flag and St Georges Cross. I my country's flags.

Canada.

6 countries,11 shows. AMAZING FRIENDS AND MEMORIES = Jem's priceless 360 Tour
Old 10-29-2006, 04:17 PM   #66
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:40 PM
Canada

My home and native land.

We've got the old Canada flag flying in the backyard right now. We'd like to have it, the maple leaf and our provinces flag

Dang proud to be a Canuckian
Old 10-29-2006, 10:04 PM   #67
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Slow Loris

Alright, sounds like you would definitely be a West Coast (Vancouver) girl if you don't like snow! (Be prepared for some winter rain, though.... )

Great pics! Vancouver is definitely a beautiful city.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:09 PM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl

There are loads of places around here where you'll find the Canadian flag, the Newfoundland flag and the Union Jack all flying together.
Yep...the Union Jack does fly (and even float) everywhere around here. I took these yesterday during my weekend walkabout before it started raining like the dickens.

That's the Labrador flag mixed in on both sides of the boat...I didn't catch the Canadian flag in the second one, but it's proudly flapping just beyond the Newfoundland flag.

The Union Jack was actually the official Newfoundland flag right up until the early 80s--and the the current one still contains the bones of the original if you look closely. We were England's first overseas colony, so I guess that's something you never get out of your system entirely. When I was studying in England a few years ago, I really noticed a similarity with the particular brand of humour we have here. Same thing with food. At the the campus where I stayed, the cooks were hell-bent on serving copious amounts of peas and mashed potatoes. There's also the fish n' chips thing, which they've perfected much better than we have (huge portions of fresh fish and fries in a paper wrap).

There also appears to be a lot of respect for Canada in the UK. I got a lot of mileage out of the tiny Canadian flag sewn on my backpack: "You're travelling here from Canada? Brilliant!" That kind of response happened quite often, and I certainly soaked it up and felt very proud at times.

I could write a small book about our bus tour to Vimy Ridge, but I won't bore you all to tears.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:03 PM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:40 PM
Although I don't see any Union Jack flags here in Ontario nor did I when I lived in Manitoba or Saskatchewan, you can find a few in Victoria and some parts of Nanaimo. I think that's due more to the Brits who are actually living there and the "Englishness" of Victoria and not because the Canadians living there feel a connection to the U.K.

I like the idea of strengthening our ties to Europe in general, not necessarily just the UK, as a counterbalance to our relationship with the US. This way we may have the lovely Quebecois, making up almost one quarter of our country's population, on board.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:17 AM   #70
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by ThoraSEB

Great pics! Vancouver is definitely a beautiful city.
Yeah, they are nice pics, aren't they? I wish I took them, but no! I miss Vancouver a lot. It's so beautiful, it's verging on ridiculous...
EDIT: I can say that without conceit or self-aggrandizement now that I don't live there anymore.
(And no one is actually from Vancouver anyway )

SCROLL >>>
Old 10-30-2006, 10:10 AM   #71
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by ladywithspinninghead
I like the idea of strengthening our ties to Europe in general, not necessarily just the UK, as a counterbalance to our relationship with the US. This way we may have the lovely Quebecois, making up almost one quarter of our country's population, on board.
Bingo. As a Québécois, I feel no ties to the Queen or to the UK in general. I'm not a separatist, I believe in a strong united Canada, but I think what makes this country unique is the mix of French and English culture. French Canadians are not well represented on this board, but one must not forget that we make about 25% of the country. Canada is so large that sometimes it's hard to believe we all live in the same country -- we are definitely different from each other, but together we make this country better than a cheap US or UK knock off.

I think DaveC did a good job describing the country and its history. Regarding the national anthem, I'd like to point out that it was originally written as a French Canadian anthem by Calixa Lavallée. I like it, although I must admit it's not the case for every Canadian, as many Quebeckers refuse to sing it for political reasons... I think the theme to "Hockey Night in Canada" is the unofficial anthem

With all due respect I still believe the Québec flag is the nicest, even though the New Brunswick flag is pretty awesome too.
No Union Jack there, obviously.

About 85-90% of the Québec population speaks French as a first language. The English minority is mainly concentrated in Montréal, the Outaouais region (north of Ottawa) and in the Eastern Townships, near the US border. We speak the same French as in France, albeit with a different accent (think of the difference between the accents of a Brit and an American from Mississippi ) which is quite similar to the accent of 18th century French. Of course, we understand the French perfectly and they understand us as well (we make fun of their accent, and they make fun of ours). We use some regional expressions here and there, and do not swear the same way. Most French swear words are from sexual vocabulary, while French Canadian swear words are from religious vocabulary (Québec was a very religious state until the 1960s. It has dramatically changed since then). Québec keeps close ties with France.

The main city is Montréal: a cosmopolitan city with both old and modern architecture; the feel is a cross between America and Europe. Prides itself as being the 2nd largest French-speaking city in the world after Paris.

Other major city: Québec City, famous for its old town with narrow streets.

Unfortunately, the language barrier often prevents good communication between English and French Canada (the "two solitudes"). But the country works well as a whole.

It's a great place to live in. We have four *really* different seasons, great variety in geography, landscape, culture and music. And everybody loves us

Old 10-30-2006, 07:14 PM   #72
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Regarding Newfoundland, we were the last province to join Canada in 1949. Newfoundland has a strong connection to the British Isles to this day. Air Canada faced some discontent when it recently announced that it was cancelling it's flights from St. John's to England but reinstated seasonal flights.

Just slightly inspired by our connection to England.

And ironically, our old traditional flag inspired Ireland. History of Newfoundland Tricolour

Newfoundland tricolour

Ireland tricolour

We also sang Ode to Newfoundland in school when I was a kid.

The Ode to Newfoundland

When Sun-rays crown the pine-clad hills,
And Summer spreads her hand,
When silvern voices tune thy rills,
We love thee, smiling land.

When blinding storm gusts fret thy shore,
And wild waves lash thy strand,
Thro' sprindrift swirl and tempest roar,
We love thee, wind-swept land,
We love thee, we love thee,
We love thee, wind-swept land.
We love thee, we love thee,
We love thee, wind-swept land.

When spreads thy cloak of shimm'ring white,
At Winter's stern command,
Thro' shortened day and starlit night,
We love thee, frozen land,

As loved our fathers, so we love
Where once they stood we stand;
Their prayer we raise to Heaven above,
God guard thee, Newfoundland.
God guard thee, God guard thee
God guard thee Newfoundland.
God guard thee, God guard thee
God guard thee Newfoundland.
by Sir Cavendish Boyle

Do any other provinces have Provincial anthems?
Old 10-30-2006, 07:49 PM   #73
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Heaven In Alberta, Where We Got All Hell For A Basement..

Old 10-30-2006, 09:34 PM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k

Newfoundland tricolour

I love that flag, but I absolutely hate how it's used at times. I don't know about you Trevster, but the whole 'Newfoundland Republican Army' thing gets under my skin, because it hints at separation--even if it's tongue-in-cheek. We've had our issues with the rest of the country, and certainly our resources, like the fishery, have been exploited and mismanaged at the federal level for years. I'd like to think that now, however, there's no better representative for Canadian unity than our province. Hell, Mr. Canada, Rick Mercer, is from here. (He's so great, he deserves his very own flag.)

Newfoundland is a wild and wacky place, but truly wonderful, as well. When I left work today, the sun was setting, it was raining, and the crescent moon was glowing brightly. Throw in the wind, and it was like a patchwork quilt of every kind of observable weather system.

Contradictations and diversity in every form imaginable: the stuff that makes this place, and ultimately, this country, great.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:46 PM   #75
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by angelordevil

I love that flag, but I absolutely hate how it's used at times. I don't know about you Trevster, but the whole 'Newfoundland Republican Army' thing gets under my skin, because it hints at separation--even if it's tongue-in-cheek. We've had our issues with the rest of the country, and certainly our resources, like the fishery, have been exploited and mismanaged at the federal level for years. I'd like to think that now, however, there's no better representative for Canadian unity than our province. Hell, Mr. Canada, Rick Mercer, is from here. (He's so great, he deserves his very own flag.)

Newfoundland is a wild and wacky place, but truly wonderful, as well. When I left work today, the sun was setting, it was raining, and the crescent moon was glowing brightly. Throw in the wind, and it was like a patchwork quilt of every kind of observable weather system.

Contradictations and diversity in every form imaginable: the stuff that makes this place, and ultimately, this country, great.
Wow, you write very well! Now I really want to go to Newfoundland.