The Great Interland Oscar Thread! - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2007, 06:51 PM   #61
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:29 PM
*double post*

Old 01-24-2007, 07:23 PM   #62
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:29 AM
I said rumor has it, not what I think.

Old 01-24-2007, 07:25 PM   #63
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:29 AM
LemonMacPhisto, I saw Letters from Iwo Jima last weekend (I'll be seeing Venus sometime this weekend). I wasn't as blown away as many critics were, but I don't really have a huge problem with it being nominated for Best Picture (certainly not at Dreamgirls' expense). I'm not big on war films in general, and I'm kind of take him or leave him when it comes to Clint. I didn't see Flags, but I'll probably have to check it out when it comes out on DVD in a few weeks, since it seems like they really should be paired together.

I definitely would have loved to have seen Children of Men (or Pan's Labyrinth, or Little Children) take that last slot, but I can't say that I'm terribly surprised that it didn't with the late release date and the pretty blase' campaign. It almost seemed like a thrown together after-thought once their solid reviews came out. Clint has the clout to have a last minute release carry him to the big game, unfortunately, I guess the same can't be said of Curon and CoM.

I hope the fact that 4 of the 5 nominees were released in July-October will encourage more studios not to play the "let's hold off till the last gun-fire" game next year. I really don't know why they insist on doing this. Last year, Crash was a summer release, and Capote and Good Night and Good Luck were both released in October (I think). It's not like they're consistently 5 for 5 with mid to late December releases being nominated.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:06 PM   #64
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Babydoll
I said rumor has it, not what I think.
The Oscar nominees have already been announced, that's what we're discussing right now.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:31 PM   #65
Refugee

Local Time: 09:29 PM
I'm glad (and surprised) Little Miss Sunshine was nominated.

I just saw Babel and I don't think it is as great as all the hype made it out to be. I liked the Japanese story line and I thought Rinko Kikuchi was AMAZING.

I'm glad Mark Wahlberg got a nomination. I wouln't be surprised if Jackie Earl Haley won best supporting actor since he has won all the film critic awards. I always wondered what had become of Kelly Leak!
Old 01-29-2007, 09:37 AM   #66
Blue Crack Addict

Paul Greengrass deserves to win for best director in my opinion, he had an almost impossible task but he made United 93 a film that was not cliched or overblown. It told that story with dignity and simplicity-the story speaks for itself, no need to make it anything else. The movie should have been nominated too. Scorsese did a great job of course.

Dreamgirls definitely didn't deserve a best picture nom, when you see it you think it's better than it really is because of Jennifer Hudson. But looking back it's really just lackluster and poorly shot and the music is bad other than Jennifer Hudson's songs-that's just my opinion.

Leo should have been nominated for The Departed and not Blood Diamond, and I would pick Djimon Hounsou or Mark Wahlberg over Eddie Murphy to win that category.

I haven't seen Notes On A Scandal, and the only Best Picture nom I haven't seen is Iwo Jima-no interest in war movies right now. I haven't seen Last King Of Scotland either. I hate how the suburban megaplexes won't show certain movies

I think the hype for Babel is overblown too, but I have a suspicion that it will win for best picture and will be this year's Crash
Old 01-29-2007, 10:56 AM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

I think the hype for Babel is overblown too, but I have a suspicion that it will win for best picture and will be this year's Crash
my thoughts exactly
Old 01-29-2007, 11:19 AM   #68
Blue Crack Distributor

Oh, don't even get me STARTED on Crash.

I may still go see Babel, if only to check out the performances. I've no interest in the Iwo Jima movie. I'm sure it's excellent, but I'm not a big fan of war movies.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:39 PM   #69
Refugee

Did anyone catch the SAG awards last night? I hope that there will be some surprises at the Oscars ( at least in the supporting actor/actress categories) but I think that it's wishful thinking on my part.

Little Miss Sunshine won for Best Ensemble Cast but I just don't see it winning the Oscar for best picture as much as I liked it.

I'm pulling for the Departed and Scorsese (finally)!
Old 01-29-2007, 01:11 PM   #70
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:29 PM
I did watch the SAG Awards. A little

I've still never seen CRASH, nor most of the 2006 movies, except Little Miss Sunshine. Don't think it will win best picture, but it was quite entertaining!
Old 01-29-2007, 01:13 PM   #71
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
Oh, don't even get me STARTED on Crash.

I may still go see Babel, if only to check out the performances. I've no interest in the Iwo Jima movie. I'm sure it's excellent, but I'm not a big fan of war movies.

I rented Crash when it won and did not get why everyone thought it was so wonderful.

And lucky me gets to watch it again for school, but thankfully it's not for another couple of weeks.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:12 PM   #72
Blue Crack Distributor

I can sum up the movie in two seconds: Hey, everyone's a little bit racist!

The movie just rubbed me the wrong way, and it was just so overrated.

I watched the SAG awards and was glad I did, if only to see Julie Andrews get a life achievement award. LOVE. HER.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:43 PM   #73
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

The movie just rubbed me the wrong way, and it was just so overrated.

I watched the SAG awards and was glad I did, if only to see Julie Andrews get a life achievement award. LOVE. HER.
I agree with all three.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:39 PM   #74
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:29 AM
Quote:

Have you seen Avenue Q?!?!

Anyway, yeah, I definitely didn't get the big to-do about Crash (though I wasn't that crazy about Brokeback either...I was pulling for an upset by Capote or Good Night and Good Luck).

And for the Crash/Babel comparisons...I didn't love Babel, by any stretch of the imagination, but I thought the performances were strong all around and it was shot beautifully, which at least gives it an edge over last year's winner...Though, there were definitely HUGE chunks of the movie that didn't work for me. It's solidly at #5 for me out of the nominees this year.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:00 PM   #75
Blue Crack Distributor

Ha ha ... I haven't seen Avenue Q, but I really want to. I didn't realize I was ripping off one of their song titles!

I found Brokeback didn't live up to its hype for me, either. It was good, just not as good as I had heard.