The Great Interland Oscar Thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As the days approach and I read more about how shitty, conservative, and old the Academy is, the more I think Peter O'Toole will win Best Actor over Forest Whitaker.

That's the one Oscar upset I won't be surprised to see.

And of course, Babel over Little Miss Sunshine or The Departed.

Honestly, I think Little Miss Sunshine winning Best Picture would be an upset, because it's usually not a lighthearted comedy/drama that wins Best Picture.

The upset I would like to see is Jennifer Hudson losing. Wouldn't mind seeing the Japanese actress from Babel win.

I thought so too, but Sunshine won awards from the DGA, WGA, and SAG committees. Which make up like 50+ % of the Academy voters.

So it may be a frontrunner, I don't know.

What other movie would you want to win? The Departed?

I really liked both the Departed and Babel. The only best picture nom I didn't see was Letters From Iwo Jima. I think it'll be Babel. But you know, there's not one on that list that makes me say "I loved that movie so much, I totally want it to win."

Or Little Miss Sunshine, in which case I'll hurl a pink fluffy slipper at my TV. :)

corianderstem said:

The upset I would like to see is Jennifer Hudson losing

I think I might agree, I'm kinda over her already :silent: I think it's just too much hype about her etc. Supposedly Jennifer and Beyonce are doing a duet.

TomKat is going, Tom is going to be a presenter. Brad and Angelina are not expected to attend.

I can't wait to see the clothes and jewelry :drool:

I loved Jennifer Hudson and think she deserves the praise she's been getting. But she doesn't have to get EVERY award, does she?

Things I've read have indicated she might lose due to overhype and a backlash among the Academy voters.

Remember the upset when everyone thought Lauren Hutton had the supporting nod in the bag for "The Mirror Has Two Faces," but it went to Juliette Binoche for "The English Patient"? Good times.

:wink:

Lancemc said:
I want Little Miss Sunshine to win Best Picture.

:reject:

My favorite of the ones nominated.

me too.

as much as I'm pulling for Eddie Murphy and Forest Whitaker, I have the feeling one of them might get upset by Peter O'Toole or Alan Arkin.

To be fair though, I didn't get to see Babel, though I'm not a huge fan of that style of film anyway, and I doubt I'd like it better than LMS or The Departed.

And I had absolutely zero interest to see Letter From Iwo Jima. I love Clint, but I'm kinda getting sick of him.

I've been trying to catch up on movies I haven't seen.

So I saw Jesus Camp last night (most frightening movie of the year, easily) and just rented Babel, but I don't think I'll manage to see it before the show starts.

The Queen is really the only one of I've missed.

No way! Billy Crystal's schtick is old and tired. He was funny for a while, but it was the same thing every year.

Ellen Degeneres will do a good job, I think. She's funny.

I liked Steven Martin a lot and Jon Stewart ... eh, you know, whoever they have will get some raves and some rants the next day. There's no way you can please everyone.

(Then again, I thought Letterman was hilarious as the Oscar host.)

Ellen is a bit of an uninspired choice, to me. Choices like Stewart and Letterman are more to my taste. But, you have to consider your audience, and perhaps Ellen makes some sense. Just wish it were someone else, she has not made me laugh in a long time.

corianderstem said:
I've never seen Ellen's talk show, but I've just always liked her. She seems neat.

:nerd:

I've watched her show out of professional curiosity 2 or 3 times and was underwhelmed. I'd not argue against her being "neat", though, sure, why not. Hopefully, she'll do a good job. The question is, am I gonna sit here and actually watch? Living in LA, I get invited to Oscar parties, which I'd never heard of until I moved here. I abstain, but, sometimes will watch a bit on my own. Eh, we'll see.

corianderstem said:
I've never seen Ellen's talk show, but I've just always liked her. She seems neat.

:nerd:

Same here. I've always liked her so I'll probably watch just to see what she does.

I heard she's wearing tuxes by different designers as the night goes on. I remember on one awards show her wearing a dress and she looked great.

I watch Ellen every now and then, and I find her enjoyable.

I've got some snacks going, and a couple friends are coming over to watch. There's nothing better to do this afternoon, so why not. :D

I'm a little :reject: to say that I kinda want Paul Greengrass to win for Best Director....but I'll understand if Eastwood or Scorsese to win it.

Everything else I'm a little wary about (Even though I have picks) the rest of the main awards (all four acting awards and best pictures) cause I never seen any of the movies :reject:

I hope there will be some surprises tonight. It's getting kind of boring seeing the same people win over and over again, though I still would love to see Forest Whitaker win.

Mark Wahlberg:rockon:

U2MaNaIcWeIdO said:
I'm a little :reject: to say that I kinda want Paul Greengrass to win for Best Director....but I'll understand if Eastwood or Scorsese to win it.

Greengrass did an awesome job. But no nominated director whose film wasn't in the Best Picture category has ever won the Oscar. I don't see it happening this year to break that streak. :(

I think it's Scorsese's year.

corianderstem said:

Greengrass did an awesome job. But no nominated director whose film wasn't in the Best Picture category has ever won the Oscar. I don't see it happening this year to break that streak. :(

I think it's Scorsese's year.

Yea...I think so too. I kinda thought it was his year when Gangs of New York had all those nods. :shrug:

My dad thinks that if he doesn't win this year....they will give him an honorary one sooner or later.

No computer by the TV, so I'll have to check in during commercials. Been watching E with the Red Carpet arrivals.

BTW, LMS won best picture at the Indie Spirit Awards last night :up:

:corn:

Back
Top Bottom