The Great Interland Oscar Thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yay Marty! I'm a Resident Director at a private college. Having graduated college but not started grad school, it's a nice way to make some money with no living expenses and stay in the academic setting until starting my master's. So, I try to work in programming that suits my fancy as well as provides entertainment and education for my residents. Sooooo... this weekend was Scorsese Saturday and Sunday. Yesterday, we watched Taxi Driver, Goodfellas, and Gangs of New York, which surprisingly had the biggest turnout. Today we did Mean Streets, Raging Bull, and The Departed. I just have to say that the Academy Awards made me feel validated in my programming. Sorry, I know that's irrelevant to most people but I thought it was kinda nifty.

It's about time Marty got his dues. I'm glad he won, and The Departed is up with his createst films as well, so it's a well deserved win.

I sort of wish Little Miss Sunshine had won best picture, but I really can't complain about The Departed winning.

It was good to see Alan Arkin win though. And what is with Jack Nicholson's shaved head? He looked freaky as hell. Is it for a role?

And I thought the Ennio Marcone tribute with Clint was really awesome. Although I hate Celine Dion. Everything about it except her was cool as hell.

A career award for Scorsese's movie award, but about time for the director award. Payback for Taxi driver, Raging Bull, Goodfellas etc I guess.

Lancemc said:
It's about time Marty got his dues. I'm glad he won, and The Departed is up with his createst films as well, so it's a well deserved win.

I sort of wish Little Miss Sunshine had won best picture, but I really can't complain about The Departed winning.

It was good to see Alan Arkin win though. And what is with Jack Nicholson's shaved head? He looked freaky as hell. Is it for a role?

And I thought the Ennio Marcone tribute with Clint was really awesome. Although I hate Celine Dion. Everything about it except her was cool as hell.

I'm glad marty and the departed won (I hated Little Miss Sunshine - hit a little too close to my own family situation. That shit's funny on screen - not at Christmas!).

Jack looked crazy with the shaved head. Can you imagine how nuts he would have looked without his glasses on? I sure hope that is for a role.

My favorite part of the evening was Clint messing up his lines and saying, "I should'a wore my glasses." That was funny.

Very bad show. I love Ellen, but what happened there? :huh: Too safe and not all that funny. I was SO disappointed in the dresses. Jennifer Hudson-what the? She was Judy Jetson-and the dress underneath was so blah. She has looked so great, who convinced her to wear that? Meryl Streep-at least show some respect as a nominee and don't just reach into your closet and jewelry box with a blindfold on. Take a cue from Helen Mirren, who I thought looked beautiful. Nicole-beautiful color, hated the bow. Kirsten Dunst and Anne Hathaway, :yuck: Kelly Preston, very bad. Even Jada Pinkett Smith, who usually looks great- she looked like the Oscar statue, and how did she get into that dress? I don't understand all these gorgeous women with the resources they have and the help-and they still make poor choices. Jessica Biel- odd color and I hated the belt. Beyonce's red carpet dress, omg :barf:

Don't know about JLo, wasn't crazy about it. Reese looked fantastic, wow. I also liked Kate Winslet, Cate Blanchett, Jodie Foster. Penelope-wasn't crazy about the bottom but she carried it off, her total look was lovely and she's beautiful.

I really wasn't surprised that Eddie didn't win. Norbit + a certain reputation he might have worked against him.

The men looked great. Leo especially, and Clooney as usual.

At least Babel didn't win best picture, did it win much of anything?

This is why Jack is bald

Nicholson and co-star
Morgan Freeman are filming director
Rob Reiner's film "The Bucket List," a buddy comedy/drama about two terminally ill men who flee a cancer ward to complete a list of things they want to do before they die. It is scheduled for release in November.

MrsSpringsteen said:

At least Babel didn't win best picture, did it win much of anything?

Babel won best music. I thought it would win best movie.

I think from the actors, Alan Arkin from LMS was a surprise, everyone else was so hyped - Whitaker, Mirren, Dreamgirls support role...

I thought Jack Nicholson was annoying. How many times do they have to show him.

i liked Ellen. i thought she was gentle and funny, but, yes, a little bland. i liked her line about Gore, and i liked the whole, "children are our future. they're also our competition."

she was probably a little too nice, but then, Ellen is nice. she's got a quality about her that i find tremendously endearing.

anyhoo, a boring show -- don't they realize that we don't care about montages but we want the winners to get up there and cry? the best moment in the past 5 years was Halle Berry's win where she accepted the award on behalf of all women of color, everywhere? that's the good shit! that's what i want! i want it to be more like the Olympics -- more reaction shots! none of the interpretive dance crap and, please, can we get some sort of restraining order that will keep Celine Dion at least 500 yards away from the Oscars from now on?

good night for lesbians, though. :up: it's a barfy song, but i cheered a silent little cheer when Methridge kissed her wife and then referred to her wife on stage.

I'm glad that Marty won and that the Departed won. I'd highly suggest you see it. I always love seeing Jack, even if he looked pretty crazy with his chrome dome. Jack was awesome in The Departed. The show was rather uneventful, but these are the Oscars! Forrest Whitaker delivered a very heartfelt speech.
Yes, the Oscars are all about glitz and glamour as well as the awards, but I couldn't care less about what the celebrities were doing or wearing on Oscar night. But, it sure is fun hearing all you little Joan Rivers' wannabes out there ragging on them. Keep up the good work.

Irvine511 said:
i liked Ellen. i thought she was gentle and funny, but, yes, a little bland. i liked her line about Gore, and i liked the whole, "children are our future. they're also our competition."

she was probably a little too nice, but then, Ellen is nice. she's got a quality about her that i find tremendously endearing.

anyhoo, a boring show -- don't they realize that we don't care about montages but we want the winners to get up there and cry? the best moment in the past 5 years was Halle Berry's win where she accepted the award on behalf of all women of color, everywhere? that's the good shit! that's what i want! i want it to be more like the Olympics -- more reaction shots! none of the interpretive dance crap and, please, can we get some sort of restraining order that will keep Celine Dion at least 500 yards away from the Oscars from now on?

:up:
How many montages do we need? Let's just get on with the show, people.
And Ellen did a good job.
Funniest part was Robert Downey Jr's banter. He took a bow!

I don't like Ellen at all. She really, really bugs me, BUT I thought she did a fine job last night. A few times she made me laugh out loud.

I don't know why she is getting so much schtick from the media. Clearly the academy told her to tone things down this year and she did.

Helen Mirren and Reese Witherspoon looked fantastic. Most of the others ranged from blah to awful. Jennifer Hudson - first she worse some kind of monstrous silver cape and then the dress she wore for the performance, those breasts were thisclose to making an escape. I really like Kate Winslet, but she looked like a key lime pie last night. And the hairstyle was too tight and unfortunate.

Show was boring as all fuck. What's with Celine singing for no reason at all?

Dalton said:
I don't know why she is getting so much schtick from the media. Clearly the academy told her to tone things down this year and she did.

Tone what down? It's Ellen - she's pretty mild. I did read an interview where she said she wasn't going to make Bush jokes.

But she didn't need to - the Al Gore love-fest was enough to cover all the bases. :wink:

Dalton - I'm not sure if Reese's divorce from Ryan Philippe is final yet, but they're at least in the process.

79th_CruzP_01.jpg

:bow: :bow:

79th_DiazC_01.jpg

:bow:

79th_WitherspoonR_01.jpg

:bow:

Back
Top Bottom