the grand slam of golf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

will he get it?

• yes

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • no

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • not this year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no one ever will

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
i was very unimpressed with the way his supposed top competitors approached the situation this past weekend. obviously sergio talked the talk but when he attempted to walk it, he stumbled and looked like a fool. mickelson did charge on the back side but even he was lacklustre, a quality that will not lend itself to catching up to tiger.

having said that, i think someone will charge forward to take muirfield from tiger's grasp. montgomerie(*cringes) or els would be my two picks. if tiger were to win muirfield, then i would say the dominos are in place to fall into the grand slam but at present i think someone will finally rise to the occasion.

all in all a great US Open at a great facility that concluded with somewhat of a whimper as all challengers proved to be pretenders.

as far as the slam goes I think hes done it already.

I was desperately disappointed that Allenby didnt do better Sunday- he has a major championship game, and more important, hes tough when in contention. Just to show that, he's 7 wins and 0 losses in playoffs over hsi career...

Muirfield is a great test of shotmaking, and it wont exclude 3/4 of the field, so im hoping someone can shoot low and beat Tiger. Its very true that no-one's ever gone out ahead of him on a Sunday and shot a 64-65 to put on the pressure, its bound to happen eventually, but if it doesnt then Tiger could win 25 majors...

:tsk: oh brettig, you're one of those doesn't-matter-if-it's-calender-year-or-not-people?;)

yeah he held all 4 earlier but i thought the accolades given to tiger at the time were somewhat subdued relative to the achievement. to do it consecutive months would spark the recognition that it deserves. plus it would just be cool to see.

the guy won four in a row...plus I actually think having the masters as the last leg made it harder, cos there was 6 months basically of people talking about it, the will he or wont he thing, so the pressure was greater and more drawn out. Four in the same year would be neater i guess, but I want to see two memorable championships, not just another notch in Tiger's belt where he isnt really extended on the last day. In all honesty id enjoy seeing someone birdie the last hole at Muirfield or Hazeltine this year to beat Tiger, cos that would be remembered.

Tiger will get it this year (by the way, someone (I forget whom at the moment) has already won the triple crown in the past. I think woods can do it. Right now no one can stand toe to toe with him.

fly032 said:
by the way, someone (I forget whom at the moment) has already won the triple crown in the past

yes that would be bobby jones. though certainly impressive, i believe 2 of his victories were largely amateur events and closed to the professionals of the day.

brettig said:
the guy won four in a row

i agree. but popular opinion will not recognize this as the grand slam 'till he wins it in a calendar year.

Ah yes.. this 'Tiger Slam'.. The whole point to the Grand Slam is to win them all in One year..

However, This past US Open is nothing new.. No One steps up to Tiger's Level.. It seems that everyone is intimidated by him.. that is except for Mickleson and Sergio.. Mickleson usually just blows some tee shot two hundred yards off line and gets a triple to renig the past three birdies he had accumulated in the past four holes.. And right now.. sergio jsut isn't as good..

I cringe at the thought of Tiger winning the Grand Slam, but someone needs to beat him.. that much is obvious..

Buut.. What I would love to see, and I keep waiting.. is for John Daly to reemerge for one week.. and that's all it's gotta be.. and win a Major.. by beating Tiger.. blowing his Tee shots by his and just outplaying him.

Man.. Tiger's pretty fucking good though.. The times i've seen him in the past in person, it's just amazing the power of that 'slot' he's got, and how high that ball goes..

Here's to Charles Howell III.

L.Unplugged

Lemonite said:

However, This past US Open is nothing new.. No One steps up to Tiger's Level..

Everybody with a microphone says this as if these lumpers have a magic button they can push to get to his level. The truth is....gasp... they aren't as good... Just MAYBE Tiger has the plan everyone else should follow. While Mickelson, Garcia, Duval and Love III beat each others brains out for a few extra bucks at the Go-Blow-Me Invitational, Tiger is relaxing and practicing the shots he'll need for the next major. Hmmmm....

It seems that everyone is intimidated by him.. that is except for Mickleson and Sergio..

I don't think that they (esp. Phil) are as intimidated by Tiger when he is leading as when he is behind by a few shots and starts birdying everything in sight. Then it's fun to watch Phil ruin yet another expensive pair of slacks.

Someone could beat Tiger at Muirfield (another pasture with 18 flags), but the field has a better chance at him a the PGA at Hazeltine, IMO. I've only seen one championship played there, the 1991 US open won by Payne Stewart. I'm not sure how long the course is, but Scott Simpson was leading late in the final round and he couldn't hit his way out of a paper bag, so I'm guessing long tee shots are not manditory there.

Here's to Charles Howell III.

Ummmmmm, stick with Phil Mick

Clark W. Griswold said:
Everybody with a microphone says this as if these lumpers have a magic button they can push to get to his level. The truth is....gasp... they aren't as good... Just MAYBE Tiger has the plan everyone else should follow. While Mickelson, Garcia, Duval and Love III beat each others brains out for a few extra bucks at the Go-Blow-Me Invitational, Tiger is relaxing and practicing the shots he'll need for the next major. Hmmmm....

Stepping up includes more than just playing well in the tournament.. That is what I was referencing.. the practice, and time spent improving their games. I just recently heard that Tiger studied Faldo's British open victory tournament at St. Andrews to see how he played it.. where he landed the shots he did, and just how he got around.. Ya think anyone else did anything close to that?.. Hell No.

As for Muirfield.. Faldo said he knows the secret but he won't tell Tiger.

L.Unplugged

Tuesday, June 18, 2002
Besides Woods, Nicklaus sees no disciplined players

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- It's the familiar refrain of Grumpy Old Men: Kids these days.

No discipline.
Got things way too easy.

This wasn't a group of retirees lounging around a coffee shop, though. These were five of golf's all-time greats -- Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus, Lee Trevino, Gary Player and Tom Watson, who have 212 PGA Tour victories and 51 majors among them.

The targets of their barbed comments: today's PGA players -- except Tiger Woods.

"I think Tiger's the most disciplined player out there,'' Nicklaus said at a news conference before the Children's Mercy Hospital Golf Classic at Blue Hills Country Club. "I don't see any other disciplined players out there.''

Woods has the other players "buffaloed,'' Nicklaus added.

"Not once did I ever evaluate my chances against these four guys and say, 'I don't have a chance,''' he said.

Player said many golfers today are happy to finish second or third.

"I get so (ticked) off at that,'' he said. "The only person who remembers if you finish second is your wife and your dog -- and that's if you have a good wife and a good dog.''

And until other players start winning majors on a consistent basis, Palmer said, golf will continue to lack great rivalries.

"Rocco Mediate made the statement that he was not going to play the British Open because the course didn't suit his game,'' Palmer said, drawing a laugh from spectators as he pretended to rub away tears of sympathy. "He's one of the strongest and best strikers in the game. I helped nurse him along. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.''

Mediate's attitude wouldn't have cut it in the past, Nicklaus said. In his generation, "Nobody cares what the golf course is -- you take your game and you go play golf.''

Blame the comfortable living that golf can provide even middling pros, the five said.

"Tiger Woods won $1 million for winning the U.S. Open,'' Palmer said. "The total prize money my first year on the Tour (1954) was $750,000. ... If you weren't in the top one or two, in a couple of years you were back home mining coal.''

Now, Player said, on the Super Senior circuit for golfers age 60 and up, "If you don't fall out of the golf cart you can make 10 grand.''

When golfers of his generation turned pro, Nicklaus said, "We played the game for the game. We all said the same thing: 'If you play well, the money will take care of itself.'''

One name that came up as a possible rival to Woods was that of Phil Mickelson, who is still trying to win his first major.

"If I could just teach him to putt,'' Trevino said.

Watson, a Kansas City native and five-time British Open winner, has played host the charity event for 23 years.

Woods declined his invitation to play, Watson said, citing a desire to concentrate on his Tour play and his own foundation work in Florida.

"He's doing what he needs to do,'' Watson said. "I have no problem with that.''

More from ESPN...
Complete U.S. Open coverage
Look back at Tiger Woods' ...

ESPN Tools
Email story

Most sent stories

ESPN EXTRA
Contest: Golf Trivia Challenge
Test your golf trivia knowledge and enter for a chance to win a Las Vegas golf getaway.

Looks like Tiger's closest competitors are gearing up once again to fight over sloppy seconds...

By JOHN NICHOLSON
AP Sports Writer
June 18, 2002

All Times EDT

PGA TOUR

Greater Hartford Open

Site: Cromwell, Conn.

Schedule: Thursday-Sunday.

Course: TPC at River Highlands (6,820 yards, par 70).

Purse: $4 million. Winner's share: $720,000.

Television: ESPN (Thursday, 3-6 p.m.; Friday, 4-6 p.m.) and ABC (Saturday,
4-6; Sunday, 3-6 p.m.).

Last year: Phil Mickelson beat Billy Andrade by a stroke, shooting a
career-best 61 in the third round and closing with a 68 for a 16-under 264
total.

Notes: Woods is skipping the tournament. ... Mickelson tops the field along
with Sergio Garcia, Ernie Els, Vijay Singh, Greg Norman, David Duval, Davis
Love III
and Chris DiMarco.
-----

Maybe Tiger will watch it on TV after he practices for the British Open.

Oh Well.. As my little brother says.. when we were talking about Mickleson being in teh top three in like the last six majors.. 'At least he's rollin in the loot like a mutherfucker'.. I just heard that over like the last five majors Mickleson's score has bettered Woods by like five strokes... Hahahah.. (Here lies a great case of Justification to make me sleep better at night).

L.Unplugged

Lemonite said:
Oh Well.. As my little brother says.. when we were talking about Mickleson being in teh top three in like the last six majors.. 'At least he's rollin in the loot like a mutherfucker'.. I just heard that over like the last five majors Mickleson's score has bettered Woods by like five strokes... Hahahah.. (Here lies a great case of Justification to make me sleep better at night).

L.Unplugged

heh, I could probably pull together a heap of stats that give Greg Norman the edge on Woods, except the one that counts- their majors tally.

Back
Top Bottom