The Godfather Trilogy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anthony

Refugee
Yup, I don't know if I've missed an appreciation thread for this astounding trilogy in the past, but I can't help myself now... I ADORE this trilogy. I love the actors and the acting, I love the directing, I love the story, I love the characters, I love the music... I love it all!

My actual favourite movie is the Godfather Part II, because of the parallel between Vito's flashbacks and Michael's present life, and the incredible character development. I always thought the weakest one was Part III, but I do love the last half an hour, as well as some amazingly beautiful moments.

Any Godfather fans in this forum?

Ant.

"I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse". Don Vito Corleone

Love it as well.

*Would love to have "Mafia Hitwoman" as a special status, hint hint*
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
When I grow up I'll turn the tables

Originally posted by Sicy Corleone:
But Vito is only nine. And dumb-witted. The child cannot harm you.

But when he grows up, he will grow strong and want revenge.

Ant.

"If history has taught us anything, its that you can kill anybody".

This trilogy is so good I have not watched it in a while.....hmmmm maybe I will have to watch them all this weekend if I have nothing better to do. II is one of the best of the three and one of the best movies ever.

Anyone think it is worth upgrading from VHS to DVD?

I only watched the entire trilogy last year and I was a bit sceptical whether Godfather films are as good as everyone hypes them up to be. But the sheer quality of the first two films just hit me in the face from the very first frame and everything about them just felt PERFECT. I was very disappointed with Godfather III though. There were some very good bits but many I times I just couldn't see past Sofia Coppola's terrible acting. For me she was like a black hole which sucked most of the film's quality into vacuum.

What Saracene said. I saw the trilogy for the 1st time over 3 nights about 2 years ago now id guess...since read the book too.

I've never seen any of the Godfather movies.

Am I the only one??? I guess I should check them out, eh?

------------------
"I'm nearly great, but there's something missing..."

Originally posted by Bonochick:

Whaaaaaaaaat?

"It's not personal, Sonny. It's strictly business."

---------
me3

I love them! For me, it doesn't get any better than the first one, though. How about that scene in the restaurant when Michael is preparing to make his first hit? I think that scene, that defining moment for Michael, is just chills-up-the-spine brilliant.

Although I have to say that during my last viewing of it, I found Diane Keaton's hair to be a bit distracting, lol.

Am I the only one who finds the character of Kay Adams annoying? Sure, she goes through a lot, but let me just say that when he slaps her in PART II, and slams the door in her face, I felt that she deserved it.

I don't know. I found her character real annoying. As for Sofia Coppola's much loathed performance in the third part, I don't really see why everyone hates her so much. Yeah, she's a bit flat and a bit wooden in some parts, but thankfully it wasn't such a pivotal performance. Also, the actual criminal plot of the third part is the weakest, but there are some very strong qualities to it, some that even the others (my fave is still the second one though) don't have. For instance, the third part is much about Corleone's attempt for forgiveness from his wife, family, and ultimately God. He yearns for redemption, in fact, he swears on the lives of his children for a second chance so that he won't sin anymore, an oath God takes him up on.
Besides the wonderful development of Michael, there are the echoes of the past, the horror of Fredo's murder. See how he screams out for him when he gets the diabetic attack? The pattern and structure of the third film is easier to follow and fits in perfectly with the other films, as it ultimately reveals the entire cylce that has produced. "Just when I think I'm out, they drag me back in..." Michael grunts, eventually leaving everything to Vincent, and so the ongoing cycle of crime, love, death, murder and vendettas goes on; Coppola can go on making such movies forever.

The third part is the weakest one, I feel, but it is still remarkable. Also, Pacino's performance is heart-breaking, the final scene where his daughter dies always makes me want to cry. However, the real heart-warming scenes are those with De Niro as Corleone in the second film, where, after just shooting Fanucci in the face, he goes to his family and hugs baby Michael, and tells him in his most masculine yet heart-warming manner "Michael, your father loves you very much. Very much". Really touching. But even more touching is the fact that he's just killed for his baby Michael.

Ah. The interesting paradox here is that both Michael and his father protected their families, but Michael ends up alone while his father was much loved. Why do you think that is?

Ant.

Originally posted by DiGi:
Anyone think it is worth upgrading from VHS to DVD?

Oh, and DiGi, it really REALLY is worth upgrading to DVD. I can personally vouch for that. I bought the DVD collection only a week ago, and it was amazing. Truly amazing. The commentary is fantastic, lost scenes are amazing, and the test-screenings which they show are frickin' hilarious.

I really recommend it.

Ant.

Has anyone read the book? There's quite a bit of stuff that the movie left out, including one VERY disturbing story. Those of you who read it know exactly what I'm talking about.

Originally posted by Bonochick:

I only saw parts 1 and 2 this year for the first time!

Saw part 3 a few years ago, and again last year (as a channel on our TV showed all 3 movies on the first 3 days of the year 2002) It only really makes sense when you've seen all 3 (in a row, if possible).

My fave part was in Godfather 2, the part where Michael lost his family, and had his brother killed - him standing alone in a room, losing everyone yet being a powerful gangster. What a powerful scene.

Yes, if you like gangster/mafia movies (ala Goodfellas) definitely check it out.

Originally posted by Anthony:
Am I the only one who finds the character of Kay Adams annoying?

Ant.

No, you're not the only one! On this last viewing, about a year ago, I was really annoyed by her though I don't remember feeling that way before. First I was annoyed by her bad hair (or, I should say, funny-dated hair), then by the whole character. I'm a big Diane Keaton fan so I think it was definitely the character and not the actress.

Originally posted by U2fan42:

Has anyone read the book? There's quite a bit of stuff that the movie left out, including one VERY disturbing story. Those of you who read it know exactly what I'm talking about.

I read the book when it first came out but it's been so long that I haven't a clue what this disturbing story is.

Originally posted by U2fan42:

The book is so good. I have this really old hardback copy. I love it.

Ahhhh, I love the films and the book - this is where my name comes from! 1&2 are both amazing, I'm not sure which one I like better, 3 is a bit weaker.
And the book is great as well. If I had a DVD-Player, the collection would be the first I would buy!

Oh, and I've got this poster on my wall:
godfather-the-godfather-the-5000036.jpg

------------------
Take the money and run

Back
Top Bottom