The Giver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is a book that a lot of Lit instructors have their students read. It's a story about a boy who has something extraordinary happen to him as he explores values, beliefs and feelings.

I don't remember it too well. We had to read it in 7th grade so that was what, 6 years ago.

Yeah, I read it back in junior high, back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth.

I don't remember the plot that much, but we read it in 4th and 5th grade. Back then I thought it was the shit :up:

typhoon said:
Yeah, I read it back in junior high, back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth.

unless you're lying about your birthday in your profile, i too read it during the mesozoic era. actually, it was more like 3rd grade, but then i had to officially read it in 7th grade. i remember the main character's name, i remember some other minor details, but the plot escapes me.

oh yeah, I remember that book :hmm:
I think I read that book in 3rd grade. It was oh-so-interesting at that young age. I think I ended up rereading it in like 5th or 6th grade and then learned about all the 'hidden' meanings and stuff.

utopia :drool:

its about a kid and he lives in a world were theres no pain or anything and and the people dont get to chosse there own jobs or husbands or wife and when you turn 12 you become an adult and they give you a job...jonas the kid in the book gets the giver, which is where you get given all the memories of the world (like it is today)and theres this messed up thing called getting released and it means that they kill you with a needle into your arm and so when jonas finds this out cause they were going to release a baby that jonas was taking care of and he runs away with a baby and they get kinda lost and then they find this place and its really weird after that!!

love_u2_adam said:
^:shame: it made me think...alot and very hard

If your head hurts, there's always tylenol:macdevil:

To be more serious, though...
I remember the book. It was good, and it was thought provoking. Looking back now...

it's a sorry way to be happy - avoiding reality, living in naivete. I hope that I never encounter a movement like that in my days.

The ending was interesting...

ya and they release everyone who is bad or really anything or if there is 2 babies being born they release one:sad:and they are not aloud to say "i love you" or show any emotion and they take pills to stop puberty(i think i spelt that right):yikes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom