the frames

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkayet

New Yorker
I just got back from seeing the frames at an amazing venue here in london...they are doing a few dates in the states soon...if you are anywhere near, GO. They are SO good....the lead singer is amazing and made the entire show so fun in addition to just fabulous. Anyway, rambling...clearly, I recommend them. He reminded me of Guy Garvey in a lot of ways, actually. He could switch from quiet & intense to all loud guitar and just belting it out in a second...also, an amazing range. Ok, and he's pretty easy on the eyes as well... :love:
www.theframes.ie

tour dates in the US:
june 7 the bowery, NYC
Support: warren zanes and brendan o'shea tbc
Tickets: $14 [Buy Online]
Doors: 9pm

june 8 the abbey pub, chicago
Support: tbc
Tickets: $14 [Buy Online]
Doors: 20:00 (8pm)
Info: www.abbeypub.com

june 10 KCRW live session **
Station: KCRW
Time: AM (on the morning becomes eclectic show)
Info: www.kcrw.com

june 10 spaceland, los angeles, CA
Support: tbc
Tickets: $8 adv / $10 day of show
Doors: tbc
Info: www.clubspaceland.com

Then glastonbury! :D Anyway, so...yeah...definitely something to check out.

Yay! :D Seriously, it's one of the best gigs I've been to in a while...he even broke out into random songs intermittently - everything from bob marley to george michael :laugh:

Some songs I really like are:
lay me down
Revelate
what happens when the heart just stops

Ok, so on this site there's a recording of the lead singer (his name is Glen Hansard) covering 'cry me a river' :laugh: :heart: (that heart is for the frames guy, not justin, btw, hehe...he has the best sense of humor & stories ever). Ok, it's 2:45am and I need to stop looking at the frames website and go to bed! Oh, here's the link w/ cry me a river and some other live stuff...
http://www.geocities.com/micskylarkin/html/mp3.htm#shelter
A random guy was recording the london show i went to, so if you like what you download, digi, let me know and I'll burn you that once i find it! :)

The Frames rock! Lazyboy turned me onto them recently and I really like what Ive heard so far, wish they were coming near me......

Hallelujah Here She Comes said:
Hmm...I've heard good things about the Frames. And the Abbey's a neat place. I may have to check this out... :hmm:
:yes: Really...I think they are a band that seeing live is just...an experience. :)

Just found out they'll be playing around the same time as idlewild at glastonbury, so I sadly won't get to see them then again...but I HAVE to see idlewild, not option there really...

they're very good!!

I only have Dance the Devil though. It's hard to find their albums over here

Basstrap said:
they're very good!!

I only have Dance the Devil though. It's hard to find their albums over here
There's a lot on soulseek... :shifty:

'For the Birds' is really good, and they just released 'set list' which is a live album, from dublin...considering how amazing they are live, I'm gonna need that...

jkayet said:
'For the Birds' is really good

I have it on order. :)

The mixed CD MirrorballGirl sent is sending me to the poorhouse because I keep buying stuff that she turned me on to. :uhoh: :heart:

The Frames are an amazing band, easily the best Irish group around at the minute

New album Set List, for anyone that doesnt have it, is absolutely fantastic

cloudimani said:
The Frames are an amazing band, easily the best Irish group around at the minute

New album Set List, for anyone that doesnt have it, is absolutely fantastic
Out in the UK on Monday... :D

wow nice one!!!! finally a bit of recognition outside Ireland!!! They've a huge cult following in my uni, University Of Limerick, and I've seen em like 3 times, once in a little LECTURE theatre 2 years ago which is still one of the best gigs I've ever been to! They're huge in ireland now, have been for the last couple of years, and as cloudimani pointed out easily the best Irish band over the last 5 years and more. Their albums are great but still not a patch on their live stuff, where alll the songs come to life.

Glen Hansard, the front man, has many critics as well as fans, they played in ennis and assholes jeered him during one of his rambles and the band walked off the stage. But he's definitely a top front man, charisma, and an amazing voice. For the Birds is probably the best album, Dance the Devil class and a bit louder than the mostly mellow FTB and the only other I've heard bits of is Fitzgeraldo(spelling eh?!) which is great.

best tunes are
Lay Me Down
pavement tune
God bless Mom
star star
perfect opening line
disappointed
headlong

If ya haven't heard all them then get downloading!

And the new live album, I heard they made a bit of a mess of it, but it's still meant to be great.

Ah this thread rocks, great to see them breaking through FINALLY!
They're playing Witnness in July in ireland which should be a great gig, think lisdoonvarna with christy moore is cancelled:(

Mwahahaa, joyfulgirl. ;) I'm so glad you enjoyed the mix CD.

I saw the Frames last year when they played at a really small venue here in Madison - that's when I became interested in them. I would really enjoy seeing them again ... if Gina's up for the Abbey next Sunday, I'm probably in as well. :)

I've been listening to For the Birds nonstop for a week now. It's the best CD I've heard in a long time. I absolutely love it!

I just got the new live album Set List...it was recorded at a show in Dublin in Nov 2002. Amazing. Comes pretty close to capturing what it's like to be at one of their gigs, including Glen's clearly embellished stories... :lol:
Highly recommend it. :up:

jkayet said:
I just got the new live album Set List...it was recorded at a show in Dublin in Nov 2002. Amazing. Comes pretty close to capturing what it's like to be at one of their gigs, including Glen's clearly embellished stories... :lol:
Highly recommend it. :up:

:hyper:

must

have

now

jkayet said:
I
june 10 KCRW live session **
Station: KCRW
Time: AM (on the morning becomes eclectic show)
Info: www.kcrw.com

I'm listening to this right now
everybody, go listen to this!
just humor me, ok?
you'll like it
I promise
would I lie to you?

This is one of my two, npr stations.

I heard at bit of the frames when I was driving that morning.
Sounded good to me.

KCRW is a great station. They are the best station in the greater LA area.

Check out their site. They have had most of our current favorite bands in their studio.browse here

I love KCRW. When I lived in NYC a friend of mine in LA used to record stuff for me from Morning Becomes Eclectic all the time. Now I check in online to see what they're up to. Ever listen to Bookworm? I know that guy!

You should see him.

Not a friend exactly...a professional contact. He says he gets hate mail from animal rights activists about the theme song.

sorry for the hi-jacking

Frames :up:

joyfulgirl said:
You should see him.

Not a friend exactly...a professional contact. He says he gets hate mail from animal rights activists about the theme song.

Joyful,

the lyrics are funny

something like why books are better than animals as our friends.

mugshot_bw.jpg

Bio:
A man who converses on an equal plane with writers of fiction and poetry, often surprising them with his insights, Michael Silverblatt has made "Bookworm" the country's premier literary talk-show. His secret, says Norman Mailer, who has subjected himself three times to the "Bookworm's" scrutiny, is that "he's the best reader in America."
Silverblatt's formidable knowledge comes from close reading and analysis of a writer's entire oeuvre. Susan Sontag calls him "a national treasure." As host and guiding spirit of the half-hour radio show, Silverblatt has reinvented the art of literary conversation, introducing listeners to new and emerging authors along with writers of renown.

A New York native, Silverblatt graduated from the State University of New York in Buffalo and later took advanced courses at Johns Hopkins. He moved to Los Angeles in the mid-1970s where he worked in motion picture public relations and script development. He created "Bookworm" for KCRW-FM in 1989.

yep, that's my Michael! He's a genuis.

Now I'm searching the KCRW Sounds Eclectic/Morning Becomes Eclectic archives--some amazing performances/interviews/vidoes to download. Beck, Wilco, Tori Amos, Doves, Daniel Lanois, Starsailor, everybody who's anybody, and you can listen to these amazing 3 or 4-song complete sets and in some cases watch them, too. I could sit here all night. How about this paring: Patti Smith with Bebel Gilberto from November 2000.

And, back on topic, this all started with the Frames with whom I am currently in love. Can you believe the club show in LA was $8 advance and $10 at the door?! :heart:

Back
Top Bottom