the frames

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Trevor. You need to listen to these guys. I would agree with Martha For the Birds and Set List for sure. I also own Burn the Maps and The Roads Outgrown. Here are my thoughts.

My favorites:
From For The Birds:
- Lay Me Down
- Fighting on the Stairs
- Early Bird
- Santa Maria

Set List:
- The Entire Damn thing

From Burn The Maps:
- Finally
- Fake
- Underglass
- Sideways Down
Last night after hearing Glen say what Keepsake is about I have a new liking for that song. I also liked Happy and A Caution to the Birds live last night.

The Roads Outgrown
- God Bless Mom
- New Partner
- Fitzcarraldo (live) which you can listen to on their site:
http://www.theframes.ie/v4/music/tro.shtml

I find this site to be rather awesome. If you play your cards right you might be able to find something that rocks
http://www.davidrochford.com/default.asp?module=bootleg

Last edited:
Yes, definitely listen to them. You'll love it. Then see them - travel wherever you have to to find them. :yes:

The davidrochford site DiGi is posted is really good.

On here:
http://3voor12.vpro.nl/3voor12/groups/index.jsp?groups=9142229

there are some gigs - the live op tombola is really good, from what I've listened to of it. I love the hotel lounge cover at the end of 'star star.'

Set List definitely is the way to go, but even that doesn't come close to seeing how great they are live. A wonderful album all the same.

Nice review of the NYC show on salon.com today:

frames.jpg

The Frames in concert

I'm not really the fist-pumping, glass-raised-in-triumph type, but the impulse struck me repeatedly during the Frames' sold-out concert last night at the Bowery Ballroom. For anthemic rock in 2005, the Frames are the best there is. With a smoothly layered, ringing sound and a load of soaring crescendos, they work just a few chords, a few melodic ideas, and they work them very well: It's hard not to get swept away by it. This was one of the most purely enjoyable, uncomplicatedly gratifying rock shows I've seen in a long time.

What made the concert particularly delightful was the absence of the Frames' violinist, Colm Mac Con Iomaire, who was home in Ireland with his wife and newborn child. A rock 'n' roll axiom: String sections = good (some of the time); single violins = bad (nearly all the time). The Frames' music hovers just on the edge of melodrama, and skillful though he is, Iomaire's violin pushes it over the edge every time.
Frontman Glen Hansard comes across as an unassuming, appealing guy, and that's key to the effect of the music: His singing is nakedly, emphatically emotional, but there's something so humble and straightforward about it that you never feel you're listening to somebody whine or thoughtlessly emote. He's also a nimble showman -- amusing between-song banter, expert conducting of audience singalongs, and, turning up his collar, a dead-on Elvis parody for one line in the middle of a song. The Frames are on tour for the next few months (dates here). If they're coming to your town you should go; if not, check them out on "Last Call With Carson Daly" on March 9.

Just saw them again in DC area last night - amazing show. Josh Ritter opened, who I really liked as well. The Frames just never cease to amaze me though...I absolutely love them. :)

UI wanted to see the Frames....AND I wanted to see them at the El Rey in LA! Dammit! They were supposed to play in San Diego too but guess that show got cancelled. I have their CDs and hear their shows are really fun. Good music, I hope to catch a live show one of these days, I know they will be back thru So Cal!

And thanks to all for the info and reviews above! Sorta makes me feel like I was there. :up:

Back
Top Bottom