The first official 2012 AFL thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The second tier is maybe 20% full. Third tier 5%.

Does footy draw the same kind of crowds in the afternoon anyway?

30-28 Brizbin, fairly watchable I'd say. I doubt this game will have significant implications, but you never know.

Looks like it's picked up from when I checked it last and it was 13-9 near the end of the first quarter.

The second tier is maybe 20% full. Third tier 5%.

It really depends on the team playing and of course, the time of day. For example, if Collingwood were here playing against Brisbane, the crowd would be around 45-50k. There are numerous variables in this.

I suppose I'm also surprised that Richmond is such a draw, they've had so many lengthy periods of meh. Ratten also referred to them as our "arch rival," which caught me off guard. It's not really something you think about when the team in question is floundering.

Honestly, doesn't make much of a difference. Collingwood vs Hawthorn, for instance, would've got the same crowd even if it were being played right now.

I suppose I'm also surprised that Richmond is such a draw, they've had so many lengthy periods of meh. Ratten also referred to them as our "arch rival," which caught me off guard.

Richmond probably have the most dedicated fanbase in the league. Their fans fucking BELIEVE. Give them half a sniff of even making the eight and they'll drop everything.

Richmond are a large club with a pretty loyal supporter base. There is a notable difference between the big clubs like Collingwood and the smaller ones like North Melbourne.

Richmond probably have the most dedicated fanbase in the league. Their fans fucking BELIEVE. Give them half a sniff of even making the eight and they'll drop everything.

This is very true.

That's respectable. My Washington Redskins of the NFL are very much the same way...likely the third or fourth most popular team in the league, and we haven't won shit since the early 90s. And every year, the fanbase comes back and sells out every home game. All 90,000+ seats.

I don't know much about Richmond because I happened to start watching footy in one of their weaker seasons.

Yeah, I'm gonna say "fuck it" and watch the replay tomorrow. C'arn Cats!

WTF Powerade. Apparently, AFL athletes train by being eaten alive by the earth, forcing them to grapple their way back up and then kick a goal, uncontested. There were also chains for some reason.

Richmond, like Collingwood, used to be a very downtrodden, industrial, working class part of Melbourne. The footy team was really the centre of those communities, a big source of pride, not to mention some weekend escapism. Both clubs made a point of engaging with that part of the community, cheaper tickets for working men, that sort of thing. So that's left a legacy of the two having such large and dedicated fanbases.

Can't explain why Collingwood picked up the bogan rep while Richmond didn't despite their similar origins, though.

'Cause...magpies? Magpies are kind of the bogans of the bird world. When Magpies pass each other in open country, they command attention by rapidly moving their wings and chattering, the Magpie usually walks, but it can also hop quickly sideways with wings slightly opened. The Magpie and the rest of its family are fond of bright objects. The magpie is generally sedentary and territorial throughout its range, living in groups occupying a territory, or in flocks or fringe groups. A group may occupy and defend the same territory for many years.

See? Bogan bird. That's your ornithology lesson for the day.

I know Melbourne is young and wasn't particularly good to begin with, but Brisbane looks scary, and Carlton has a road match against them next week. Not sure who I'll tip.

Hmm, I hope I picked Brisbane. But I have this feeling I chose Melbourne. I suppose I could go back a few pages and check. I could.

At least my Mum will be happy.

Gold Coast vs Vladelaide. This is one of those days when I'm on Vlad's side.

'Cause...magpies? Magpies are kind of the bogans of the bird world. When Magpies pass each other in open country, they command attention by rapidly moving their wings and chattering, the Magpie usually walks, but it can also hop quickly sideways with wings slightly opened. The Magpie and the rest of its family are fond of bright objects. The magpie is generally sedentary and territorial throughout its range, living in groups occupying a territory, or in flocks or fringe groups. A group may occupy and defend the same territory for many years.

See? Bogan bird. That's your ornithology lesson for the day.

... this is unexpectedly compelling!

I like that we've managed to make 200 posts and we're only four games into the season.

Good night, footy fans. You won't see me again till I've seen the Cats/Freo replay.

Tippett's three goals have all come from rather freakish positions. His two behinds from 35m in front.

Hahaha on track for 200.

I hate Gold Coast. What a terrible location for a football club, it's like the polar opposite of Richmond.

Just as I suspected. The MCC Demons are utter shite. How could they be anything but the worst Victorian side this season. Credit to Brisbane to convincingly win on the road though. Maybe they will be the West Coast of this season!?

Back
Top Bottom