The final "Daria"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pax

ONE love, blood, life
I hardly ever watch MTV anymore, but I had it on tonight to catch the final episode of "Daria." Have to say I'm going to miss that show. When I was a sophomore and a junior in high school, I used to get home around 2:55 every day--just long enough to throw all my stuff in my room, pour a nice bowl of Cap'n Crunch, and settle down for my daily dose of Daria, Jane, Trent, et al.

I stopped watching it after a while; MTV would put it on at the most inopportune times, and I bought a few of the videos, anyway. But when I heard about the final Daria, I was rather saddened that the show is ending.

Why? Well, it's one of the last things MTV did that was even remotely edgy and anti-corporate. The main character, after all, was a girl who would not kiss ass. Period. To anyone. She didn't like makeup, didn't believe in fashion, and actually thought that your brains would get you somewhere. It was a show that dared to be a parody of itself at times, and made fun of a good ninety or ninety-five percent of the people who usually watch that network. Not to mention that it really helped me navigate high school.
wink.gif

Now as a college junior, I still laugh out loud watching it. Semper fi, Daria.

------------------
If you cannot live together in here, you cannot live together out there, let me tell ya. --Bono

You've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice... --Bono

That was about the worst show I've ever seen. I can't believe that they carried that for so many years and canceled Jackass after 3 seasons.

I missed the one tonight because I was studying, but I figure since its MTV, they'll rerun it about 50 times in the next week. Yeah, definitely a great show, very original. I think they managed to keep her cynicism from becoming annoying by ensuring that Daria was actually involved in the stories, rather than just being outside them and providing commentary. There were just so many smart, laugh-out-loud moments to keep track of. It was pretty much the only thing worth watching on MTV the past few years. Maybe we'll get lucky and a DVD set will be released.

------------------
Change is the only constant

I liked this show too.
I watched tonight and I was happy to see that Quin has a consciece.
biggrin.gif

I always wished Daria would change clothes though. I liked the episode when she dressed up like her sister.

I don't think I ever saw one minute of that show! Thank god! LOL

------------------
"Rhythm is the sex of music" - Edge

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

I always thought that Daria was a good concept executed not-that-well.

It never did nail the satire of typical suburban life quite the way Beavis & Butt-head did (particularly the high school teachers).

The dialogue was written like exposition at times - particularly in this final episode:

"I'm going to X College."

"That is your father's alma mater. He'll be so happy."

No teenager actually talks like that.

Finally, there's deadpan delivery and stiff reading of dialogue; "Daria" had too much of the latter.

In a nutshell, Mike Judge's presence was SORELY missed.

That said, it was certainly better than the usual swill they broadcast.

(Though, if you have a chance, catch the MTV Cribs with Mariah Carey and her cold, excessive apartment, and picture Mariah losing it among her walk-in closet of painful and ugly shoes. Quite amusing.)

Shut up, Bubba!
wink.gif
(Just kidding, just kidding, don't flame me.)

------------------
If you cannot live together in here, you cannot live together out there, let me tell ya. --Bono

You've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice... --Bono

Daria seemed to work better in her minor role on Beavis and Butthead.
She never seemed comfortable in the leading woman spotlight. I think someone convinced her she was a star, and MTV put all that money in front of her and she couldn't resist. Sadly now her career appears to be over whereas she could have had a 30 year long career as a support character, which would have been much more fulfilling. I hope she doesn't go over the edge with drugs and the like now that she's out of work, with that big pile of cash on the coffee table.

------------------
The joker is the best card.

Back
Top Bottom