The FA Cup Final

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yertle-the-turtle

ONE love, blood, life
I had a great preview typed out but then it f**ked up due to flood control, so I'm gonna have to re-type it despite the fact I think most people won't give two ****s about the Cup Final.

I love the FA Cup. I love the way those teams from the lower division inevitably knock their Premiership counterparts off their smug little arses and win a couple of games. Shrewsbury 2 -1 Everton. Sheffield United, Watford, Wycombe and Chesterfield all making it to the semis in recent years.

Now, today, at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, Wales, the FA Cup Winner for 2003 will be decided. It's a largely meaningless fixture, to be honest - both Arsenal and Southampton have qualified for Europe. However, the history behind the competition should ensure that both teams are going to slug it out. Arsenal, too, will want to finish with silverware after surrendering the title to Manchester United, while Southampton will want to erase memories of a 6-1 hiding two weeks ago.

Who will win?

Arsenal Squad: Seaman, Taylor, Warmuz, Cole, Keown, Lauren, Cygan, Luzhny, Stepanovs, Toure, Pires, Gilberto, Ljunberg, Parlour, van Bronckhorst, Edu, Bergkamp, Wiltord, Henry, Kanu.
Team News: Manager Arsene Wenger has problems in defence. Martin Keown has a dodgy thigh strain while Sol Campbell is suspended. Pascal Cygan and Oleg Luzhny are also injured, while Lauren is doubtful. Ray Parlour and Sylvain Wiltord are available for selection. Jermaine Pennant is cup-tied due to playing for Watford in the earlier rounds. David Seaman will serve as skipper in Patrick Vieira's absence.

Southampton Squad: Jones, Niemi, Dodd, Bridge, Lundekvam, Williams, Michael Svensson, Higginbotham, Telfer, Marsden, Oakley, Anders Svensson, Delap, Arias, Fernandes, Baird, Beattie, Davis, Pahars, Tessem, Ormerod.
Team News:Saints boss Gordon Strachan is set to recall Finnish goalie Antti Niemi after the latter's spell with injury. Chris Marsden has recovered from a knee injury. James Beattie and Brett Ormerod are likely to start in front.

The entire nation will be backing Saints (bar parts of East Hampshire and North London, of course ;). My prediction?

Arsenal 1 - Saints 2 (extra time)
No golden goals.

sources: http://www.soccernet.com
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/fa_cup/3025589.stm

For more information on the FA Cup final, visit
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/fa_cup/default.stm

Whew. And I bet no one would read this either.

Last edited:
:laugh: I actually want Arsenal to win, too, in a way. They're almost my second team after Ipswich (thank Nick Hornby for that), and I could do without all the gloating from the Man United fans I know.

Still, I have a funny feeling Beatts and co. might pull off something. Then again, I'm wrong.

lol, go saints.

This might be perverted logic, but I want Arsenal to really hurt bad so they win something in Europe next year.

players like Pires, Henry and of course Bergkamp are the main reason I still watch football

so I'm glad that the best team won

Back
Top Bottom