The everything you ever wanted to know about The Church but were afraid to ask thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the Go-Betweens got the Aria.

I can handle that as they were my second choice.

Wonder if any of the guys from The Church went to the ceremonies? From what I heard, Peter and Tim wanted to, but Steve and Marty didn't. Typical. :)

Last edited:
Also, although I know most don't give a crap, Steve is a new papa yet again. Newest member of the family is a little girl named Scarlet, born just this past week. :cute:

Congrats Steve and Natalie!

indra said:
A full electric tour to support the Uninvited, Like The Clouds cd (due out in early Feb.) will follow and will also include the US and some European dates.
WAIT A MINUTE! They're coming back to the US? I gotta pay closer attention.

I haven't bought a Church album in a few years. What have I missed?

cleazer said:
WAIT A MINUTE! They're coming back to the US? I gotta pay closer attention.

I haven't bought a Church album in a few years. What have I missed?

Yup! They are. :)

What was the last album you bought by them? They've released seven cds from 2002 to now. Now not all are tourworthy major releases (and of course, major is a relative term...), but they've been very busy guys over the past few years.

Hey, someone else went and dragged this thread back up!! Even more bonus points for you cleazer. :yes:

Last edited:
indra said:
What was the last album you bought by them? They've released seven cds from 2002 to now.
The last 2 cds I bought from them were After Everything Now This and the single for Numbers.

cleazer said:
The last 2 cds I bought from them were After Everything Now This and the single for Numbers.

OK. I love AENT.

Since then they have released:

- Parallel Universe -- the AENT songs remixed plus a bonus cd with five or six tracks left off AENT. Probably best for completists.

- Forget Yourself -- studio album released in 2003 (in AUS) or 2004 (US,UK). They toured for this one, and a lovely tour it was too. :) Good album, much heavier and raw than AENT.

- Beside Yourself -- Outtakes from FY. Very hard to find as it was only given limited release of something like 500 copies. I think they are having another run manufactured. I really like this one, some excellent songs. I think it's well worth getting if you can find it. (SK did the paintings on the cover and booklet)

- Jammed -- 2 long instrumental tracks -- The Sexual Act and Interlock. Essentially jam session...not quite as free form as Bastard Universe (the Hologram of Baal bonus disk). I think it's only available from the band's website or at shows.

- El Momento Descuidado -- A poor Spanish translation of The Unguarded Moment, this cd is an acoustic reworking of nine Church songs along with five new ones. Yep, The Unguarded Moment is one of the oldies to get the treatment! I think it's an excellent release, and I highly recommend it. Kilbey sounds great! (SK also painted the portraits on the cover)

- Back With Two Beasts (aka Jammed II) -- more jam sessions. This is what was posted on the official Church site about it:

strange new record
from another universe
from the other tomorrow
songs spells fragments
brand new stuff
music singing
guitars!
hear the drums beat and the bass throb
oh those heavy light words
oh those cascading electronic mists
tune in
in wonder
from the ultc sessions baby
alright!

I think it is also only available from the official site or at shows. Got mine on order! (it was just released)

- And coming soon (SK said in a couple of weeks, but who knows) is the Block EP. Block is the first song off Uninvited, Like The Clouds, which is set for a Feb. 2006 release. The EP is supposed to be Block and a couple other songs. Also has a Kilbey painting as the cover. :D

- Uninvited, Like The Clouds -- set for a Feb 2006 release, with a tour to follow. The best guess I get now for a US tour is late March/April.

oooh! and Starfish, Gold Afternoon Fix, Priest = Aura, and Sometime Anywhere were recently re-mastered and re-released. I think all of them have some bonus material.

And you also might want to check out the Jeffery Cain (of Remy Zero)/Steve Kilbey collaboration called Isidore. If you go to the Isidore website you can stream the whole album. :yes: :eeklaugh:

Last edited:
The ARIA award nomination might have had some positive benefit for the band after all. :yes:

Just heard that their gigs in Noosa and Katoomba are sold out and that tickets to the show in Brisbane are nearly sold out. I know the venues are small, but other than the SOH shows I don't recall this happening on the FY tour in 2003/04.

:)

blueeyedgirl said:
Yes, but what about the truck stop, er, Roadhouse?????

ummm...why do you think I posted their schedule here? All you Aussies are supposed to fly all over the country going to Church gigs ensuring sold out venues!

Besides didn't you know that's what the hold up is on the U2 tour? They (U2) said "if The Church isn't able to sell out their measly Roadhouse venues, we sure aren't going down there!" :ohmy:

So get to it folks! The U2 tour depends on it.

:shifty: (think anyone's gonna buy that?) :shifty:

:wink:

Wow, you've got to admire the longevity of this thread. Still enjoying the CDs, Indra. Glad you introduced.

BonosSaint said:

Wow, you've got to admire the longevity of this thread.

Ah, the power of one deranged, er, I mean devoted fan. :uhoh: :D

BonosSaint said:

Still enjoying the CDs, Indra. Glad you introduced.

:)

Just heard that Marty Wilson Piper plays on the new (reformed) The Saints album!
Its not a long trip from The Church to become a Saint i guess!?

:angel:

reptile said:
Just heard that Marty Wilson Piper plays on the new (reformed) The Saints album!
Its not a long trip from The Church to become a Saint i guess!?

:angel:

Perhaps MWP could get a gig advertising The Church of the Latter Day Saints, eh? :D

Yeah, MWP did play on The Saints new album, plus he toured as part of the band for most of this year. But that is pretty much finished now. MWP also played a bit (a very short bit) on Rob Dickinson's (of Catherine Wheel) new album.

here's a snippet of an interviw with MWP where he mentions those two.

Ori: How much input did you have with the Saints. Will you be joining them for more gigs etc?

Answer: Nope.

Ori: Nope on all accounts?

Answer: (Laughs) I hadn’t a lot of input into playing with them – I mean I may have played guitar on the album, the songs were written before I got there, but I did write … co-write one of the songs on the record. Bailey and I wrote a song together which got on the record. I always knew that there was going to be a conflict of interest, as there was with All About Eve, and, as it happened, ah the Saints are in Europe at the moment, I’m doing certain shows at the Sandringham Hotel and, when the Saints are touring Australia, The Church are too and my allegiances are to The Church.

Ori: How did you get together with Rob Dickinson? By the way, the Ocean track is the best song on the album.

Answer: Right – yeh – it’s a good song – Rob and I have been friends for a few years. He came to see one of my shows once with somebody we knew, a mutual friend and we got introduced …. One day I was walking down the street in New York and there he was standing on the corner with Tracy Bonham – do you know who that is? – he was living there when I was living there and we hooked up and we spent a bit of time together. We didn’t actually write any songs together but we kinda hang out whenever we see each other, and he would just invite me to the studio to play solo on a song and …. you know … and that was the one … I played solo on that track and it ….. I love that track, it’s great ….. I love that song …. and the solo is short but sweet (laughs) – yeh.

Ori: We timed it – it’s like 18 seconds.

Yeh – that’s right – it’s about 18 seconds but it’s a beautiful 18 seconds (laughs).

full interview

There is also a short new interview with SK...pretty much limited to his art and acting. My favourite bit:

and i discovered one thing: you can take drugs and paint you can take drugs and write songs and sing' em, you can take drugs and write poetry - however you cant take drugs and act....

I bet he tried though.... :wink:

complete interview

just read interview with saints singer who thanked MWP for leaving and turning saints into a 3 piece as it has turned him (Chris Bailey) into a lead guitarist.........
when are church playing adelaide again? I am drunk and have not much sleep as i have just come off a late shift that crossed over into an early shift and would realy like to know so i can get my ticket!!!! I love the internet!!!! it will organise my life for me????

reptile said:
just read interview with saints singer who thanked MWP for leaving and turning saints into a 3 piece as it has turned him (Chris Bailey) into a lead guitarist.........
when are church playing adelaide again? I am drunk and have not much sleep as i have just come off a late shift that crossed over into an early shift and would realy like to know so i can get my ticket!!!! I love the internet!!!! it will organise my life for me????

I'd like to read that Saints/Bailey interview....

Here's the Adelaide info:

ADELAIDE, SA - Wednesday 14th December
THE GOVERNOR HINDMARSH HOTEL, 59 Port
Rd. Adelaide. Phone 08 8340 0744.
Support is Curio.
www.thegov.com.au/

And if you go, check out the SK prints at the merch table, damn it! :D

Last edited:
OK, I have a question...

Can you explain the doctrine of Transubstanciation?

EDIT: oops, wrong "Church":wink:

Hoodlem said:
OK, I have a question...

Can you explain the doctrine of Transubstanciation?

EDIT: oops, wrong "Church":wink:

ummm... no. but I can sing it (in the Tom Lehrer song "Vatican Rag") although I'm sure that would offend someone. :D

(actually I can only sing the word transubstantiation, not the definition....)

Last edited:
indra said:

ummm... no. but I can sing it (in the Tom Lehrer song "Vatican Rag") although I'm sure that would offend someone. :D

(actually I can only sing the word transubstantiation, not the definition....)

I cant even speak the word, never mind sing it!

Just read SK interview in local street music mag...he is keeping the 'this record is for making love to' references going!!!

INdra, if only i could do anything remotely smart with this machine i would send you the Chris Bailey interview and the above mentioned SK interview....:sad:

Am planning to purchase my Church ticket on monday after queing for U2. Am not expecting i will have to stand in line twice:wink:

reptile said:

I cant even speak the word, never mind sing it!

Just read SK interview in local street music mag...he is keeping the 'this record is for making love to' references going!!!

Well...he and his wife did just have a new baby, so I guess he knows what he's talking about.... :D

INdra, if only i could do anything remotely smart with this machine i would send you the Chris Bailey interview and the above mentioned SK interview....:sad:

Is there any way you can get hard copies of the interviews? I'd be happy to email my addy and send you some money to cover postage and copies etc. for them.

Am planning to purchase my Church ticket on monday after queing for U2. Am not expecting i will have to stand in line twice:wink:

Opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of venues certainly! At least you don't need to worry about good seats or bad seats for the Choich. ;)

Do you like the have an idea of the setlist ahead of time or not? If you do, I'll post what they have been playing...otherwise I'll just let you be surprised.

Oh, and in addition to the 25th anniversary shirt (in black) they also have an El Momento Descuidado shirt in red and a Starfish shirt in white. Also at the merch table there are cds, poetry books and pamphlets, posters (I think), and prints. :wink:

Last edited:
:D :D :D :D

AAAHHHH!!! I've been DYING to tell someone this news since Sept. 16th but promised not to say (or write anything). And I've been a really good girl. But now it's out, so I can say it now. YAY! :D

Actually, I'll let the article (From the Melbourne paper The Age) say it for me..... :D:D :D :D

Church on a mass mission

By Peter Ker
December 14, 2005

One of Australia's most enduring bands, the Church, will play for the masses at the Commonwealth Games opening ceremony.

Secrecy cloaks both the opening and closing ceremonies, which have a combined budget of $50 million. But The Age can reveal the involvement of the Church, who rose to prominence in the 1980s with hits such as Unguarded Moment and Under the Milky Way.

The band recently celebrated their 25th anniversary and will launch a new album, Uninvited, Like the Clouds, in March.

The opening ceremony will be held at the MCG on March 15, and the closing ceremony on March 26.

Yesterday members of the Church were unable to confirm their role in the Games. "As far as I know we are not competing in any events," joked Tim Powles, drummer, pianist and producer.

The Church will arrive in Melbourne within the next 24 hours for gigs at the Corner Hotel in Richmond tomorrow night, and a sold-out appearance at The Famous Spiegeltent on Friday.

The signing of the Church to the ceremonies program has re-ignited concerns in artistic circles that Melbourne 2006 organisers may be trying to bully performers into working in the two ceremonies for no payment.

The Church were reluctant to perform for no fee but agreed to an "improved" offer. That offer remained unconfirmed yesterday, but Melbourne 2006 chairman Ron Walker was adamant that just participating in such an event was incentive enough.

"No professional performer is being paid," he said. "It's not exploitative at all. It's a case of performers serving their country and having the honour of serving their country in the same way the volunteers are serving their country."

The Media, Entertainment and Arts Alliance ruled out a blanket ban on performers working for free at the ceremonies.

I'm so excited for them -- it can expose them to so many people, and if even just a fraction like them enough to check them out further...

Interestingly, but typically, SK was both excited and a bit torn about it. Excited by the potential exposure, obviously pleased to have been picked, but still somewhat suspicious of "the man." I found that incredibly endearing. :)

That is brilliant news!!

I wonder what they will play??

Some obscure b-side probably:wink:

Or maybe a cover of a Jet song:lmao:

Man, this thread will never die.

Ok, I'll pose a question then.

In your opinion would, "When You Were Mine" rank as an upper third, middle third or lower third song in the Church catalog and why?

Layton said:

LOL, it won't-but meh, that's okay, if you love a band, feel free to ramble on about them as much as possible, I say :D.

*Likes "When You Were Mine"*

Also, indra, neat news there about the Church playing at that ceremony :) :up:.

I still have yet to listen to some of the stuff I've been sent. Got so caught up with school and everything, blargh. But I'm free now, so...:).

Angela

Layton said:

Do you want it to? :sad:

And it's over halfway to the number of posts needed for automatic closure, so it should eventually get there.... :wink:

Ok, I'll pose a question then.

In your opinion would, "When You Were Mine" rank as an upper third, middle third or lower third song in the Church catalog and why? [/B]

Ack! Why couldn't you have asked this about "Almost With You?" That would have been soooo easy to answer...it's such a great song.

But you didn't... you asked about "When You Were Mine" so here goes. (Mind you this is just really a matter of what I like and what I don't.)

Middle third.

A big part of that is because I haven't really listened to it all that much (spent a few hours this evening listening to The Blurred Crusade -- and realised I still need to get the remaster of this. I'm such a bad Church fan... :( ). I became a fan of The Church with Starfish in 1988/89, bought a few of their albums over the next several years (as they came out), but never got into their back catalogue. Actually, I don't recall knowing they even had a back catalogue as I just bought what the stores I went to had, and these stores didn't have much of a selection (and I didn't read any of the music mags either...never did really like them). I only got the early cds a few years ago, so the songs are actually relatively new for me.

Another big part is that I'm a huge fan of their more recent work. Although I adore several of their earlier songs (and play Heyday from 1986 a whole lot), I find that their more recent work resonates more strongly with me. They've been playing together for 25 years (core group anyway) and with other bands before that, so they've grown and developed a lot in those years. I find their newer work has benefited from that. And Steve's voice sounds awesome now. I think he's one of the few singers who sounds better older than he did when he was young.

"When You Were Mine" is unmistakably The Church. The Blurred Crusade was the album where they really found "their" sound. And the lyrics are interesting, not just your typical "you screwed me over you bitch" lyrics (but is actually exactly that :) ). I like that.

But what holds it back for me is that overall the song sounds "young" and SK's voice is a bit affected (which does add to the "young" thing). And the music is more simple (and less lush) than much of what they do now. It just doesn't quite measure up to so many other of their songs for me. Odd that I do like "Almost With You" so very much as it is on the same album, but I think it benefits from having been reworked a couple of times (on on SK's Acoustic & Intimate cd and also on El Momento Descuidado.) It got updated and I think that helps with it's placement (as I do like the A&E and EMD versions better than the original one). I can probably name four or five of their albums on which I like every single song better than "When You Were Mine." I do suspect that it would come alive when played live -- "You Took" sure as hell does! :yes:

And it doesn't get dropped to the lowest third because that section has those inevitable "what were they thinking?" songs like "Maybe These Boys" and "Busdriver" :rolleyes: most of the songs with MWP and PK on vocals, and most of the songs on Of Skins and Heart, which I just can't seem to get into that much.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom