The everything you ever wanted to know about The Church but were afraid to ask thread - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2005, 04:42 AM   #121
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:15 AM
OK, they're funny. That gives them a plus in my book.

Old 08-07-2005, 12:33 PM   #122
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by blueeyedgirl
I'd like to see a few U2 interviews like that!
No kidding. That's pretty funny.

Quote:
Q. OK it also said that the band has survived plane crashes, overdoses, jails, riots, persecution and bad exchange rates
A. What a day!
Quote:
Q. Seriously though, what happened to all the others..?
A. Divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, beheaded, survived.

Q. OK so you’ve made this new record. Why "Forget Yourself"?
A. Who? Me?

Q. What?
A. See, it works
Quote:
Q. What’s it like doing an interview with yourself?
A. You should know
A few of my favorite bits. Smart-ass .

Also, regarding the other strange places...heh, how on earth did they wind up in some of those?

Angela

Old 08-07-2005, 10:05 PM   #123
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
OK, they're funny. That gives them a plus in my book.

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

A few of my favorite bits. Smart-ass .

Also, regarding the other strange places...heh, how on earth did they wind up in some of those?

Angela

They kind of have a reputation as humourless, dour people, but they can be really hilarious. Lots of twisted humour in these guys. SK loves puns and uses them often in his lyrics (although sometimes they are fairly obscure, so you're reading some book years after first hearing the song when it hits you what the reference is about). Apparently he's one heck of a mimic (heard him mimic Gordon Gano of the Violent Femmes in Milwaukee -- pretty funny!). And he tells really bad, but funny jokes too. Mostly with an absolutely straight face, so at first you can't quite believe what you've just heard.

As for playing in so many strange places...well, they don't have a lot of clout in the biz, so they pretty much play the places that will give them the best split. Hey, I don't care where they play...if it's within reach I'll go and be a very happy camper.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:52 AM   #124
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by indra
They kind of have a reputation as humourless, dour people, but they can be really hilarious. Lots of twisted humour in these guys. SK loves puns and uses them often in his lyrics (although sometimes they are fairly obscure, so you're reading some book years after first hearing the song when it hits you what the reference is about). Apparently he's one heck of a mimic (heard him mimic Gordon Gano of the Violent Femmes in Milwaukee -- pretty funny!). And he tells really bad, but funny jokes too. Mostly with an absolutely straight face, so at first you can't quite believe what you've just heard.
LOL, yeah, just from this thread alone, I wouldn't believe the accusations of them being "humorless" and "dour". And that's interesting about the obscure puns, too.

And regarding the bad jokes...well, my dad's kinda the same way, so I'm used to that and would therefore probably find a lot of those jokes of his really funny, while some of the people I know would hear that same thing and be like: or ... Heh.

Quote:
As for playing in so many strange places...well, they don't have a lot of clout in the biz, so they pretty much play the places that will give them the best split.
Completely understandable. You gotta do what you gotta do, after all, whatever helps pay the bills and such. Besides, that kind of thing can really humble a person, and humility can be a big plus.

Quote:
Hey, I don't care where they play...if it's within reach I'll go and be a very happy camper.
Exactly .

Angela
Old 08-08-2005, 01:07 AM   #125
ONE
love, blood, life

indra's list of recommended Church albums for newbies

1) Under The Milky Way: The Best of The Church or Best of The Church (Aust release) depending on where you are. They have 10 of the same songs, but the other seven or eight are different. If I had to pick one I'd go with the first -- I just like more of the songs on it. The Aussie version is a bit too heavy on Gold Afternoon Fix material, which wasn't really one of their best albums.

2) Starfish. Kind of a duh choice. It's their most popular album (and it has Under The Milky Way on it)...for a lot of people it's the only one they even know about. It's also a very good album. I really don't think there are any duds on here. A very good newbie choice that often remains a favourite.

3) Heyday. Cute stoned guys wearing paisley on the cover...what more do you need to buy this cd? Actually, even if the cover gives you the willies the songs are great. Myrrh, Already Yesterday, Tristesse, Columbus (which was written in Columbus, OH ), Happy Hunting Ground (an instrumental), Tantalised, and Disenchanted -- all great stuff. Hot damn!

4) After Everything Now This. Absolutely gorgeous 2002 album. A very mellow album -- it could very well be my very favorite of their's. Standout songs for me include Numbers, After Everything, Radiance, Night Friends (very trippy ) and Invisible, but I generally listen to it all the way through with no skipping.

5) Forget Yourself. More rocking than AENT (by quite a bit), but not quite a uniformly good (to me anyway). Of the 14 songs, I like eight exceptionally well, two more quite well, and the rest are not horrible, just not favorites (and one of those -- See Your Lights -- with MWP on vocals, is wonderful live, so it's not a stinker by any means). This album was done quite quickly -- they only spent 5-6 weeks in the studio -- and retains much of the rawness the band has live.

6) El Momento Descuidado. A mostly acoustic reworking of nine songs along with five new songs, this is a really lovely album. I don't think Steve has ever sounded quite so good as he does on this one. If you don't like mellow, acoustic versions don't get this cd, but otherwise it's a very good album.

7) Priest = Aura. I don't think I know anyone who became a fan of The Church because of this album, yet I consider it one of their very best (if not the best). I would definately not get it first or second, but if you have several Church albums and like them, it could be a worthwhile choice. If you like radio friendly songs, this is not the album for you. But it is a wonderfully sweeping cinematic cd -- perfect for tripping (with or without chemical assistance ).
Old 08-08-2005, 01:50 AM   #126
Blue Crack Addict

*Starts looking for a piece of paper and a pen to write down recommendations*

I'll keep an eye out for these, indra . Don't know how much of their stuff will be sold here in my town, but hey, that's what online and big city stores are for, right? .

Angela
Old 08-08-2005, 02:15 AM   #127
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:15 AM
Cheers Indra thanks for answering my question.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:35 AM   #128
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

That's an interesting point that you've mentioned Nick Launay. In the early/mid 80's, the bands you liked in Australia were of one of 2 types, the pub rock type ie Cold Chisel etc, or the more "atmospheric" type - Church, early INXS, Go Betweens and so on. Then if a band was really cool, it had to have a Richard Lowenstein video!

(any wonder Duran Duran spent a year in our country! )
The Church had issues with the "pub rock" crowds apparently -- or members of the crowd had issues with them. When they first came to the US they were asked if they were worried about thugs here. They said nah, we've done the Australian circuit, we've been beaten up by worse than what you have here (in the US). (hey, they're lovers, not fighters! )

Also, way back in the early 80's, probably during that year Duran Duran spent in Australia, The Church was supposed to open for them. Well, they did, but the Duran Duran crowds weren't enamoured with The Church, so it only lasted a few shows and then The Church dropped out.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:58 AM   #129
ONE
love, blood, life

And the winner in the "Creepy Church fans" catagory is....

I was reading through some Church/Kilbey interviews and this answer nearly made me choke I laughed so hard. God, I would have loved to have seen his face! [Plus you get a bit of SK as horny toad too... ]

(it was a question about fans.... You probably already figured it out, given the title)

KILBEY: I'll tell you, I've been backstage many times, and there's a girl talking to me. I'm like, "Hey baby, wanna come back to the hotel?" and she's like, "Yeah!" Then I say, "Who is this guy over there looking at us?" The girl's going, "I don't know!" And I say, "Are you sure? He's really giving me dirty looks." Then suddenly the guy marches up and yells, "This is my fiancé!!!" and drags her off. People get like that!

There was a guy in Oklahoma who, Eskimo-style, came up to me and said, "Me and my wife really like you."
I said, "Thank you."
"We got married to your music."
"Thank you."
"That's my wife sitting over there."
"Hello, wife."
"It would be a big honor for us if you'd sleep with her tonight."
I was like, what?!?!

LAUNCH: So did you?

KILBEY: No!

Old 08-08-2005, 03:02 AM   #130
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

The Australian pub-circuit was nutoriously brutal. From the slightly "out there" bands I know and love (early Split Enz for example) there are countless horror stories of their reception in those "venues". Ideally they were suited to a slightly more "theatrical" setting and with a slightly more intellectual crowd.

There is some hillarious banter I have on a boot of Neil talking about how The Angels "Am I Ever Going To See Your Face Again" successfully broke their hearts every night after every concert Crowded House played on the pub circut.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:11 AM   #131
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:45 AM
That Angels song "Am I ever gonna see your face again" has a notorious story attached to it here in Oz. For the Angels, a real pub rock band, this was as close as they came to a love song.

This is what their fans thought of it when they played:

Doc Neeson sings: "Am I ever gonna see your face again"

Audience in time to the music sings: "No way, get fucked, fuck off!!!!!!!"

You can imagine what they did to "arty" bands!
Old 08-08-2005, 03:14 AM   #132
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
That Angels song "Am I ever gonna see your face again" has a notorious story attached to it here in Oz. For the Angels, a real pub rock band, this was as close as they came to a love song.

This is what their fans thought of it when they played:

Doc Neeson sings: "Am I ever gonna see your face again"

Audience in time to the music sings: "No way, get fucked, fuck off!!!!!!!"

You can imagine what they did to "arty" bands!
Thats the story!!!... I must post the mp3 now It's hillarious, he is in Boston & you can hear 1 or 2 Aussies in the crowd singing along with him. I'm upping it now. It's such an awesome song too.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:40 AM   #133
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by timothius

Thats the story!!!... I must post the mp3 now It's hillarious, he is in Boston & you can hear 1 or 2 Aussies in the crowd singing along with him. I'm upping it now. It's such an awesome song too.
Good one!
Old 08-08-2005, 03:51 AM   #134
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

This track picks up just before the song... before that he is talking about the curfew and how a disco is moving in, in half an hour and how in Australia the pub circuit was all powerful. Then he says there was an Angels song called AIEGSYFA... it was played twice as loud... people danced twice as hard.

http://s36.ysi.com/d.aspx?id=3SX3T89OI3KC11VUSLT3JA7KNX

Sorry about the random banter at the end
Old 08-08-2005, 03:55 AM   #135
ONE
love, blood, life

Takes forever to download for me, but it should be fun.

* edited to say

Got it! Thanks, it's great!