The everything you ever wanted to know about The Church but were afraid to ask thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BonosSaint said:

Re: Crosby. By the end of the night, I was tired, hostile, cramped in, too drunk. The ticket prices weren't too bad, so I did feel like a part of a spectacle. Kind of like audience participation performance art and it was a show for the annals of freebasing history.:wink:

I felt really sorry for the opening act, who had to play off and on for a couple of hours when he had about half an hour of material. PS, Did not buy opening act's CD. Never wanted to hear him again! Ever.

My friend and I have pretty good senses of humor which remained intact throughout, so I'm sure that helped. It helped that the show was only fifteen minutes from my house.

That's not the first time he's berated an audience . Sometimes I've felt like a misbehaving child even when I was just standing there. Luckily, the shows would end with a great deal of energy that would make me forget that I was part of a "bad" collective audience. I so love being scolded.

I do like a lot of his music, but I don't own much of his solo stuff or his Crosby-Nash stuff. And none of his CPR stuff.

I've seen him play since then, both with CSN and his other band (which I don't really like) He is better behaved off drugs, somewhat Buddha serene and playful, but I don't know how much of that is choreographed.

From what I understand, CSN once said they would never play on the same stage again since they don't always get along so well. So to get around that little lapse, since touring is a pretty good source of their revenue, they each stand on a different type of flooring when they perform. Sure enough, when I went to see them a couple of weeks ago, each of them had their own separate squares of flooring. :ohmy:

A couple of years ago, I intereracted with Crosby on the internet. because he used to participate on a forum. Hard to gauge him because almost everybody on the board was such a freaking synchopant. Oh, isn't David wonderful, this. Oh, isn't David wonderful that. I can't stand that for anybody. So I got into a theoretical discussion with him about Menage a Trois's (because of his song Triad) and argued on a few other issues. But my computer crashed a short while later and it took me years to get another one. By the time I got a new one, he was no longer on board.

I still go to see CSN often enough, but mostly for S. I've met Stephen Stills a few times and he's never been nasty, and oftentimes really nice. Bright man. (not that he hasn't had his drug moments.) And to give Nash credit, he has always been friendly.

OMG! That sounds wonderfully like the concert from Hell! Good shows are a dime a dozen, but the truly wretched ones are the ones that etch themselves into your brain. :yes:

About Crosby on the forum... several years ago SK posted on the Church forum and he still sometimes comes into the Church chatroom. It is truly amazing how goofy people can get tripping all over themselves trying to get his attention. I'm kind of embarrassed for them. What I noticed is that although he certainly enjoyed the ego stroking to a certain extent, there were times he just seemed bored and lonely and wanted to talk to someone.

Talking to SK in the chatroom (and now through email, etc.) I got a much clearer impression of him as a person, not just as a musician. Kind of nice listening to the music of someone I genuinely like.

BonosSaint said:

Always said I wanted to fuck Stephen Stills and be Neil Young.
Haven't done either.

Well...a girl needs goals in life.... :D

BonosSaint said:

RE: Box of Birds interview. Pretty funny stuff. They sound a little surreal. You got to love self deprecating humor. Laughed out loud when I got to the part about only one chord. "Why bother to learn one with lots of chords?"

:D

Almost spit out my coffee. OK, it's a given. I'll like their music.
They captured my imagination.

Surreal is the perfect word -- SK and PK (at least) are both quite enamoured with the surrealist movement. :)

I did love that bit about doing the song because they only had to learn one chord. Reminds me of when SK was asked why he decided to play the bass and he said he figured it would be the easiest instrument to learn to be able to get into a band. :D

In their earlier interviews they showed that humour sometimes, but mostly came across as fairly serious and sometimes quite arrogant. Now...well they've pretty much been there, done that and seem to see the absurdity in it all. They know they are never going to be big stars and it doesn't really faze them. I've heard some pretty wild interviews with them where the poor interviewer was totally lost and they were just talking about whatever they wanted to.

Moonlit_Angel said:

This is true. They want these people to lighten up and have a sense of humor, and when they do, people will whine that they should go back to moping, as they do that best. Go figure the public sometimes-musicians can't please everyone, I guess. We're just too damn fickle :p.

I'd personally like to hear that interlude with that song.

I've actually heard fans comment that they would rather Steve be miserable because they like his lyrics better when he's miserable. Aaarrrggghh! What kind of person would think that way? I'm delighted that he's happy -- I figure if SK can be happy there's hope for anyone.

I'll include that song with the live "Cantilever."

Moonlit_Angel said:

Also, uh...I don't mind the Barenaked Ladies, personally :reject:. I'm not a big fan or anything, but I can hear a song of theirs on the radio every so often without harboring some of the feelings Steve does, LOL :p.

I think his shorts might have been in a twist that day. Besides, he's a cranky old guy, and they are apt to say anything. :wink:

Moonlit_Angel said:

Interesting story about Steve being arrested and not being able to be with the other band members at that show. Has anything else like that happened since then? Or has he been a good boy :wink:?

He's actually cleaned up a lot since then and is living a much healthier, less-substanced life now. It's a good change...he's less apt to die soon and has a much better personality.

Moonlit_Angel said:

By the way, I was listening to "After Everything" again yesterday...that really is a pretty song. Doesn't hurt that musically it kinda sounds like something I could've heard another artist I like doing around the time of some of his work he'd done in the late 90s :D. And while listening to some of the songs from the non-Church related CD you sent me, I noticed that when you mentioned Steve worked with one of the artists on there, it definitely showed (that CD had some good stuff on it, too :yes: :)).

Angela

It is a beautiful song -- one of my favourites. Who's the other artist you mention?

Moonlit_Angel, I'm sending some stuff to you tomorrow. Some live stuff (including Cantilever), some covers, some more of their songs, and even the tale of the girl with the glass eye. It's a pretty random grouping. Hope you enjoy. :)

indra said:
Moonlit_Angel, I'm sending some stuff to you tomorrow. Some live stuff (including Cantilever), some covers, some more of their songs, and even the tale of the girl with the glass eye. It's a pretty random grouping. Hope you enjoy. :)

Cool :up: :). I look forward to hearing the stuff.

Also...

indra said:
I've actually heard fans comment that they would rather Steve be miserable because they like his lyrics better when he's miserable. Aaarrrggghh! What kind of person would think that way?

LOL, I don't know. People are funny, I guess :shrug:.

Besides that, an artist I like has stated that he tends to write sad songs when he's happy, and vice versa. Maybe there's times that's the same for Steve (that's the thing about writers, people always assume their stuff is totally autobiographical-not always the case). And even if it isn't, if he's feeling happy, let him feel happy. Don't like the happy stuff, then don't listen.

Originally posted by indra
I'm delighted that he's happy -- I figure if SK can be happy there's hope for anyone.

Hehe, exactly.

I'll include that song with the live "Cantilever."

:) :up:.

I think his shorts might have been in a twist that day. Besides, he's a cranky old guy, and they are apt to say anything. :wink:

Haha, good point. Very true.

He's actually cleaned up a lot since then and is living a much healthier, less-substanced life now. It's a good change...he's less apt to die soon and has a much better personality.

That's good :up:. It's funny the things that'll wake you up to your behavior, huh?

It is a beautiful song -- one of my favourites.

Well, I can see why :yes:.

Who's the other artist you mention?

Stephen Cummings. Liked the song "September 13" in particular. And like I said, Steve's influence definitely showed :yes:.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:

Stephen Cummings. Liked the song "September 13" in particular. And like I said, Steve's influence definitely showed :yes:.

Angela

Yep. SK wrote the song for him (and does a version of it himself too) and I think plays most of the instruments (well except the horns) on it too. It's title is bit of a joke because both Steven's and Stephen's birthdays are September 13th (don't know if they are the same year though :hmm: ).

I need to get some more of Cummings' albums. He just did an acoustic best of album last year (for the same series as The Church's EMD cd) that I think might be very nice. :yes:

indra said:
Yep. SK wrote the song for him (and does a version of it himself too) and I think plays most of the instruments (well except the horns) on it too.

Ah, okay :).

It's title is bit of a joke because both Steven's and Stephen's birthdays are September 13th (don't know if they are the same year though :hmm: ).

LOL. Was wondering about the title...

Hey, that day's coming up in the near future...

I need to get some more of Cummings' albums. He just did an acoustic best of album last year (for the same series as The Church's EMD cd) that I think might be very nice. :yes:

I might want to hear more from the guy, too. I liked the couple of songs I heard, so...:). And acoustic stuff is always nice :yes:.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:

LOL. Was wondering about the title...

Hey, that day's coming up in the near future...

Yeah, it's an odd one as it has nothing at all to do with the actual song. :rolleyes: I just recently found what the real title was supposed to be, but can't remember it for the life of me.

Yep, it is. :) Last year for his 50th Bday we set up an electronic card (just a guestbook really) that people could write messages to him. Some of the messages were really sweet...and a few were really hilarious too. He sent this back:

my dear friends
although ones fiftieth birthday is not really cause for great celebration
you, all of you
have made me one happy centagenarian...
i became so misty at the controls of my computer as i read my birthday greetings
i became so goddamn misty that i was asked to leave
because i was weeping copiously
great tears of happiness and joy, my people
and sighs of contentment too, my glorious ones
as i perused the sincere, the witty, the heartfelt, the personal
the magnaminous, the sympathetic
the empathetic
my darling ones
my beautiful friends
my sweet hearted and generous well wishers
even tho i am humbly dwarfed by your felicitations
i now honestly extend my heartfelt thanks towards ye
and declare that every sept 13 should be a public holy day
and you should all reward yourselves
by dressing in paisley, tight black pants, suede boots
and proudly let my music be blasted from the highest hilltops
and let it murmur in the valleys
ripple thru the swaying fields
and ululate amongst the glowing steppes
people, my dear people
i thank you all
steven (steve) kilbey

So I guess paisley, tight black pants, suede boot, and annoying the neighbors with loud Church music are on the agenda for next tuesday. :D

Moonlit_Angel said:

I might want to hear more from the guy, too. I liked the couple of songs I heard, so...:). And acoustic stuff is always nice :yes:.

Angela

I'll let you know what I think of it when I get some more. I'm planning to pick some up in the next month or so.

Last edited:
indra said:
Yeah, it's an odd one as it has nothing at all to do with the actual song. :rolleyes: I just recently found what the real title was supposed to be, but can't remember it for the life of me.

Hehe. Well, maybe the original title'll come back to you eventually :).

Yep, it is. :) Last year for his 50th Bday we set up an electronic card (just a guestbook really) that people could write messages to him. Some of the messages were really sweet...and a few were really hilarious too.

Aw, that's awesome :up: :). Liked reading his response, too...again, I'm really liking this appreciation these guys have for their fans. Very cool.

So I guess paisley, tight black pants, suede boot, and annoying the neighbors with loud Church music are on the agenda for next tuesday. :D

LOL, yeah, seems so.

I'll let you know what I think of it when I get some more. I'm planning to pick some up in the next month or so.

Great :). Look forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

Angela

Not sure how rare it might be ( maybe you could ask Steve!?) I have a Picture sleeve copy of 7inch vinyl of Steven Kilbey "This asphalt eden' with 'Never come Back' and 'Shell' on the B-side. ( actually dont like the A-side at all, B-sides are great though!)

reptile said:
Not sure how rare it might be ( maybe you could ask Steve!?) I have a Picture sleeve copy of 7inch vinyl of Steven Kilbey "This asphalt eden' with 'Never come Back' and 'Shell' on the B-side. ( actually dont like the A-side at all, B-sides are great though!)

Do you have the red tinted picture sleeve or the black and white one? I think there were something like three different versions (of the sleeve anyway), which is amazing as I don't think all the versions put together sold all that many. Does your copy have "A Kill A Bee Production" etched into the inner groove?

And I agree about the B-sides being far better than the A-side. With a few notable exceptions, the guys in The Church can't pick a single to save their lives.... :huh:

And on a most important note...make sure to blast Church music today (Sept. 13) as it is SK's birthday! :yes: (and if you look good in paisley shirts, tight black pants, and suede boots, by all means wear them as well.... :drool: )

Happy Birthday, SK.

Oh, I listened to Under the Milky Way. I liked a lot of the stuff. Was at work though, have to listen to it under headphones to hear it better.

indra said:

Do you have the red tinted picture sleeve or the black and white one? I think there were something like three different versions (of the sleeve anyway), which is amazing as I don't think all the versions put together sold all that many. Does your copy have "A Kill A Bee Production" etched into the inner groove?

And I agree about the B-sides being far better than the A-side. With a few notable exceptions, the guys in The Church can't pick a single to save their lives.... :huh:

And on a most important note...make sure to blast Church music today (Sept. 13) as it is SK's birthday! :yes: (and if you look good in paisley shirts, tight black pants, and suede boots, by all means wear them as well.... :drool: )

Black and white picture sleeve and yes 'a killabee production' is etched into inner groove.
All the best bands have great B-sides! A really great band would bring out Double A sides (remember them?) a couple that come to mind (that i own anyway) being The Beatles and The Buzzcocks.

:bow:

Just got this from the Church website:

Nominees in the 28 categories of the prestigious 2005 ARIA Awards were announced earlier today at Sydney's Art Gallery of NSW. We were named in the TOP 5 nominations for BEST CONTEMPORARY ADULT ALBUM 2005 for our acoustic album EL MOMENTO DESCUIDADO on Liberation Records. This is reason to celebrate in itself!

Exciting that this is the album that has Steve Kilbey's artwork on the cover!

The ARIA awards at the Sydney Superdrome will be presented and simulcast all over Australia on Channel 10 Sunday, October 23rd. This may be the only time we ask you to stay home and TURN ON the telly!
http://www.ariaawards.com.au

Architecture In Helsinki - In Case We Die (Tailem Bend/Remote Control/Inertia)

John Farnham and Tom Jones - Together In Concert (Sony BMG)

Renee Geyer - Tonight (First Edition/ABC)

THE CHURCH - El Momento Descuidado (Liberation)

Go-Betweens - Oceans Apart (Capitol/EMI)

Selling out in their old age. :mad:

:D

Seriously, it's nice to see them get recognised. It is a really wonderful album. And lovely to see the Go-Betweens up there too.

blueeyedgirl said:
Two good reasons to actually watch the Arias now, as painful as they are.:mad:

Yeah, I don't like awards shows, but I'd watch this if I could...just to hear them nominated. :)

When I heard about the nomination I remembered a recent interview where SK mentioned awards ceremonies (while discussing the "spirit of rock & roll") and it made me laugh. I dug it up:

Kilbey explains that in recent times he has made something of a reluctant truce with the media’s desire to view his band’s career retrospectively. Looking back, Kilbey considers whether he has stayed true to the spirit of rock’n’roll.

“At the beginning of your career… you’ve got it all planned out. [You think] ‘I won’t do this, I won’t do that’ and ‘I won’t let this happen to me’. But if you keep going long enough, everything that can happen to you will happen to you eventually. I still do that; I sit here and say ‘I wouldn’t accept an award from a fucking awards ceremony’. But I’m sure if it came along and it was like, an Oscar, I would betray my ideals and do it.”

I'm hoping he gets to betray his ideals and accept this award.... :yes: :D

blueeyedgirl said:
Two good reasons to actually watch the Arias now, as painful as they are.:mad:

Ooooh! Just looked at the ARIA awards's website...David Hasselhoff is going to be one of the presenters. Aren't you thrilled?!!!! :hyper:

:rolleyes: :yuck:

indra said:
Ooooh! Just looked at the ARIA awards's website...David Hasselhoff is going to be one of the presenters. Aren't you thrilled?!!!! :hyper:

LMAO...oh, wow...that oughta be interesting.

Am not overly familiar with the ARIAs...however, a band I like was inducted into their hall of fame a couple of months ago :). Judging from some of the comments about the ARIAs here, so...are they kinda getting like the VMAs are here, for those of you who watch them?

Angela

indra said:

The Hoff!!!! Be still my beating heart!:drool: I'm telling all my friends now!!!!

:madspit: :mad: :huh:

Hey BEG, who's that guy in the show, The Alice? He reminds me of Steve Kilbey, kinda.

And the ARIAs are the same as the American version of the same thing, recording industry association mob, but Aussie.

The "Intimate & Acoustic" Australian tour dates up on their official site. This tour is to promote El Momento Descuidado the recent acoustic release. A full electric tour to support the Uninvited, Like The Clouds cd (due out in early Feb.) will follow and will also include the US and some European dates.

Official Tour Dates for The Church:

NOVEMBER 2005

NOOSA, QLD - Wednesday 23rd Nov - FRESHWATER STUDIO, Noosa International (Sunshine Coast). Phone 07 5447 5900

BRISBANE, QLD - Thursday 24th Nov - JUDITH WRIGHT CENTRE OF CONTEMPORARY ARTS, 420 Brunswick Street, Fortitude Valley Brisbane. Box Office Phone (07) 3872 9000 12-4pm weekdays. http://www.jwcoca.qld.gov.au

KATOOMBA, NSW - Friday 25th Nov - THE CLARENDON, 68 Lurline St. Katoomba (Blue Mountains) with Hitchcock's Regret. Show $35 Dinner & show $55 Phone 02 4782 1322 or online below. http://www.clarendonguesthouse.com.au/

NEWCASTLE, NSW - Saturday 26th Nov - GATEWAY HOTEL, 139 Maitland Rd. Islington with Hitchcock's Regret. Phone 02 4969 1848. http://www.bigapachee.com.au or http://www.clubg.com.au

WOLLONGONG, NSW - Sunday 27th Nov - YALLAH ROADHOUSE, Lot 21 Princes Hwy. Yallah with Hitchcock's Regret. Phone 02 4262 2655 http://www.yallahroadhouse.com.au

DECEMBER 2005

NEWTOWN, NSW - Friday 2nd Dec - @NEWTOWN, 52 Enmore Road, Newtown (Sydney) with Hitchcock's Regret. Phone 02 9557 5044. http://www.atnewtown.com.au/

CANBERRA, ACT - Sunday 4th Dec - THE GREENROOM, Canberra (above O'Shea's 11 Altree Crt. Phillip). http://www.greenroomcanberra.com/

NEWTOWN, NSW - Sunday 11th Dec - @NEWTOWN, 52 Enmore Road, Newtown (Sydney). Phone 02 9557 5044. http://www.atnewtown.com.au/

ADELAIDE, SA - Wednesday 14th Dec - THE GOVERNOR HINDMARSH HOTEL, 59 Port Rd. Adelaide. Phone 08 8340 0744. http://www.thegov.com.au/

MELBOURNE, VIC - Thursday 15th Dec - CORNER HOTEL, 57 Swan St. Richmond. Tickets phone 03 9427 9198 (venue has changed). http://www.cornerhotel.com/

MELBOURNE, VIC - Friday 16th Dec at 7pm - THE FAMOUS SPIEGELTENT, Art Centre Forecourt, 100 St.Kilda Rd. Melbourne. Tix $30.00 or $26.00 concession. Phone Bookings
1300 136 166 or online http://www.ticketmaster.com.au

Last edited:
blueeyedgirl said:

Bugger Katoomba, they're playing a ROADHOUSE in Wollongong????? :ohmy: Are there no other venues in Wollongong than a truckstop on the Princes Highway??? :scratch:

Very random! :lol:

The last time they played that venue (in 2003) it was called the Yallah Woolshed, which I thought was even funnier. Apparently it was one of their better shows too. :huh:

I think they aim for the places that give them the best cut. I know they play some odd places when they come here and part of the reason is they can make more sometimes at the odd places than at the "better" venues.

Hell, they've played laundromats! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom