The everything you ever wanted to know about The Church but were afraid to ask thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Clever. Music on the cheap. Considering some of Neil Young's films, he would appreciate that.:wink:

Hey sounds like you really love this band.

Any reference points to discribe the band?

Phish cross with The Dead crossed with U2? Is that close?

Tarvark said:
Hey sounds like you really love this band.

Any reference points to discribe the band?

Phish cross with The Dead crossed with U2? Is that close?

Who? Me? A fan of The Church? :shifty: :D

I really suck at describing music, but here goes.

Well all the guys were born in the 50's and grew up in the 60's and early 70's, so all that great music was an influence on them. The bands most mentioned are Pink Floyd and The Byrds (lots of jangly guitar early in their career, not so much now). Dreamy neo-psychedelia moving into space rock. Lush, melodic, melancholic. Space rock is SK's current favourite term for them, but when he said it MWP shot him the :rolleyes: look, so they can't even decide what they are. :shrug:

In the 80's they toured with Echo and the Bunnymen and that seemed to work well...the crowds liked both bands. So that might give you another reference point. The Cure and The Psychedelic Furs are also often mentioned as similar bands.

you were serious about dragging the Church thread up werent you? :wink:

I still havent got the Church cd (or any cd for that matter). I'm doing crew it turns out, and I have to pay for most of it, so that's eating into my cd buying budget unfortunately.:slant:

VertigoGal said:
you were serious about dragging the Church thread up werent you? :wink:

I still havent got the Church cd (or any cd for that matter). I'm doing crew it turns out, and I have to pay for most of it, so that's eating into my cd buying budget unfortunately.:slant:

Oh yeah. I waited patiently for 18 months for someone else to start a Church thread, but no one did... :( So I guess y'all got stuck with my Church thread. :wink:

Besides, if I didn't keep dragging it back up, Tarvark would never have found it without search function. :D

You know if any of you would like a little Church sampler I'd be happy to make one up and mail it out. Just PM or email your addy to me and I'll get it out. My email addy

Last edited:
BonosSaint said:
Clever. Music on the cheap. Considering some of Neil Young's films, he would appreciate that.:wink:

Yeah, I thought it was a pretty good idea. I need to dig up some Neil Young songs...between a couple of posts here and the NY appreciation thread I feel the need. :)

VertigoGal said:
that would be awesome but I don't think I could give out my address. it would be very difficult explaining that one to my parents. :rolleyes:

yousend/its on the other hand...:wink:

Ah, gottcha. That's wise. I have a PO Box number for any dealings with people over the internet. And it's in another town too. :wink:

I've a really slow connection (dialup), but I've done a few things that way, so I'll pick out a few nice songs.

Oh once I move out I'm gonna have a PO box with a steady supply of bootlegs flowing in, I've got it all planned out. :yes:

don't worry about it if you have a slow connection, seriously, I have the same problem, takes forever to upload.

if you ever want to send a song, swimmerchikpdq@mail.com is my email (well, my music downloading,forum registering email :evil: )

VertigoGal said:
Oh once I move out I'm gonna have a PO box with a steady supply of bootlegs flowing in, I've got it all planned out. :yes:

don't worry about it if you have a slow connection, seriously, I have the same problem, takes forever to upload.

if you ever want to send a song, swimmerchikpdq@mail.com is my email (well, my music downloading,forum registering email :evil: )

Ok, I'll send some off overnight and depending on how long it takes maybe a few tomorrow.

I'm moving (someday... I just wish I knew exactly when...it's like living in limbo) and when I do I'm gonna get a new pc (this one's as old as dirt) and a high speed connection. :D

indra said:

Yeah, I thought it was a pretty good idea. I need to dig up some Neil Young songs...between a couple of posts here and the NY appreciation thread I feel the need. :)

:D

I'm actually looking forward to hearing your band. You do get a cut right? Out of everybody you convince to buy an album. You make a good PR manager.:wink:

Ordered Under the Milky Way too. Having made a payment on my mastercard, I'm feeling righteous and greedy again. Besides I should hear their stuff, right?

Last edited:
BonosSaint said:

I'm actually looking forward to hearing your band. You do get a cut right? Out of everybody you convince to buy an album. You make a good PR manager.:wink:

Ordered Under the Milky Way too. Having made a payment on my mastercard, I'm feeling righteous and greedy again. Besides I should hear their stuff, right?

I should get a cut. :grumpy: Maybe I can wrangle a spot on the guest list for a show or two when they tour here next. :hmm: (especially since I lost my ticket to their Chicago show and had to buy a new one. Found it the next day.... :rolleyes: )

I like your way of thinking re: mastercard. :) And yep, you should hear their stuff. :D

reptile said:
Hey they are playing The Church on my local station
Sounds like a cover.......
:hmm:
an old Monkies song?

How cool. Yeah, they do The Porpoise Song!

It sounds embarrassing when you say it ("Oooh, they're covering a Monkees song!" :huh: ), but it's really a pretty cool little song.

It's on the Box of Birds cd. All covers.

indra said:
Yeah, they do The Porpoise Song!

It sounds embarrassing when you say it ("Oooh, they're covering a Monkees song!" :huh: ), but it's really a pretty cool little song.

My mom's a big Monkees fan. I've heard the original version of that song and actually don't mind it-remember my mom playing it a lot when I was little.

I'll have to track this down, so she can hear that cover :). Plus, I'd be interested to hear their other covers, too.

Angela

These next few photos are for all of you who prefer Steve sans facial hair. :)

SKteenager.jpg

teenaged Steve :sexywink:

SKannoyinganimal.jpg

I guess he was really interested in this little critter. The critter, however, seems less than impressed... :huh:

SKaschild.jpg

awww..... :cute:

boosterjuice said:
I'm sick of hearing about the church.

Don't read the thread then.

Thanks for keeping this thread at the top of the page though. :wink:

Oh, hell. I'm enjoying hearing about the band and I've never heard one of their songs yet. There's something compelling about someone being passionate about something. Actually, all this discussion is going to help me when I get the CDs. I love background, context.

BonosSaint said:
Oh, hell. I'm enjoying hearing about the band and I've never heard one of their songs yet. There's something compelling about someone being passionate about something. Actually, all this discussion is going to help me when I get the CDs. I love background, context.

I should see what I can dig up on the recording of Box of Birds.

You know I can really like a band and know next to nothing about them...as I did for years with The Church, or as I currently do with Art of Fighting and Gersey. But to really talk about them much beyond, "I like that song" I want to know a bit more about them.

Just like reading the Neil Young thread is making me more interested in hearing and seeing more of his work than I now know (which is mostly just the popular stuff).

Sometimes, I like to know where a musician is coming from when I listen to the music, particularly when someone is not straight rock and roll. (Like, I don't really need to know where the Stones are coming from. I like their music, I just don't feel the need to go much beyond that--although some background on their slower stuff was interesting).

Sometimes the worst person to explain the music is the musician.:wink: I've loved a song, heard a musician explain it and could never listen to it the same way again. But when you can pick up on references in songs because you know something of the musician's background, that's pretty cool. I love finding the pieces of the puzzle.

So anything you can dig up on "Box of Birds" would be appreciated.:wink:

indra said:

How cool. Yeah, they do The Porpoise Song!

Hey, its not a put-down, The Monkees where cool and some of those songs are actually classics in my book.:up:
A lot of that period of the 60's is seen as throw-away and lightweight, but just listen to the tunes! Bands would kill for tunes like that these days......we could certainly do with more of it on the radio.....

reptile said:

Hey, its not a put-down, The Monkees where cool and some of those songs are actually classics in my book.:up:
A lot of that period of the 60's is seen as throw-away and lightweight, but just listen to the tunes! Bands would kill for tunes like that these days......we could certainly do with more of it on the radio.....

Oh, I loved The Monkees! I used to watch the show all the time. I was completely smitten. :yes:

Moonlit_Angel said:

My mom's a big Monkees fan. I've heard the original version of that song and actually don't mind it-remember my mom playing it a lot when I was little.

I'll have to track this down, so she can hear that cover :). Plus, I'd be interested to hear their other covers, too.

Angela

I'll include that cover when I get the bootleg for you. :)

Moonlit_Angel said:
Hehe, cute pics of him as a kid :cute:. I like seeing musicians when they're children, I don't know why-guess 'cause it's interesting to see them go from that to what they are now or something :shrug:.

The teenaged one's nice, too.

Angela

I like them too. I like seeing the normal human side, and it doesn't really get much more normal than those photos. I mean just about everyone has similar photos when they were young. Kid sitting in his room playing his guitar, little kid standing there for a snapshot.

I still really like getting the human side. About SK, I find it interesting knowing that his mum still tells him what to do (lately it's been "do the nostalgia tours" :banghead: ), and that he still ignores her. That his brother comes over and looks at a group of paintings he's just done and is really pleased with and says "you should change your signature" and that's it (siblings! :mad: ). That he worries that his teenaged daugthers will run into "guys like me!" :yikes: :laugh: That he was thrilled to see a baby octopus in the kiddie pool where he goes to swim every day. That when a small group of us fans sent him some gifts for his birthday he was so excited and happy. He said it was like Christmas when he was little -- when you'd get fun, exciting gifts, "not just socks and undies," which for some reason made me laugh really hard. :D

All things that are so completely normal... And yet, I can't even imagine being able to come up with the songs and poetry he does. Makes for a fascinating dichotomy.

Last edited:
indra said:

Oh, I loved The Monkees! I used to watch the show all the time. I was completely smitten. :yes:
Mike Nesmith was my fave, he went on to write some pretty cool songs on his own, very funny guy.
And of course his mother invented liquid paper:
hmm:

reptile said:

Mike Nesmith was my fave, he went on to write some pretty cool songs on his own, very funny guy.
And of course his mother invented liquid paper:
hmm:

Yeah, it was kinda nice they actually had talent. :yes:

I didn't know that about his mum. The things you learn.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom