The everything you ever wanted to know about The Church but were afraid to ask thread - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2005, 08:33 PM   #61
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:26 PM
It's tough to find really great photos of these guys...they all look sooo much better in person. MWP is one of the most beautiful men I've ever seen in person, and SK has a definate charm. Anyway, here are some photos (of course some of the ones I really like are no where to be found. )

...they look as if they are waiting for a bus....

SK at the 2003 Homebake Festival in Sydney

MWP at one of the OZ shows in 2003....must have been really hot that day

MWP playing with The Saints this year in Germany.

SK in either DC or NYC in 1999. This was shortly before he was arrested for buying heroin in NYC. He spent a night in jail while the others played without him. When they finished the "Steveless" show, they packed up and went to the next venue (in NC) and let him find his own way there. I think they were kinda

one of my favorite SK photos. Taken at the 2004 Queensland Poetry Festival where he was one of the featured authors.

I need to find some decent photos of Peter and Tim....

Old 07-29-2005, 08:36 PM   #62
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra
Is it odd that I kinda like the shirt he's wearing ? LOL.

Quote:
He looks like Willie Nelson in this one .

Cool pictures so far, indra .

Angela

Old 07-29-2005, 09:08 PM   #63
ONE
love, blood, life

Supposed to be looking for PK and TP photos...so what do I look at...the SK site.... Ah well, some of these are fun...

cover of Narcosis + a painting from a photo of SK and his first set of twin daughters. Included in the first 1000 copies of this cd was a postcard "decorated" by SK and his twins (who were a little older -- maybe 5 or 6 -- by this time), and signed by SK.

SK and Karin Janssen in a photo taken by SK's brother Russell and used as the cover of SK's first solo single "This Asphalt Eden"

left to right: PK, SK, MWP, and TP I think this was taken in 1999. Apparently SK had a thing for white pants around that time.

Yeah...if I was wearing that I'd want to hide my face too!
Old 07-29-2005, 10:05 PM   #64
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Supposed to be looking for PK and TP photos...so what do I look at...the SK site....
LOL .

Quote:
...even with the info you shared about this picture, it still looks really weird...LOL. Wow. That's an interesting cover...

Angela
Old 07-29-2005, 10:44 PM   #65
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

...even with the info you shared about this picture, it still looks really weird...LOL. Wow. That's an interesting cover...

Angela
'tis an odd cover I guess. I think it's kind of a depiction of SK as Neptune (note the scepter)and the Twillies are little mermaid babies, complete with fish tails (hard to see on the image here though). And all the sea creatures swimming in the upper left of the painting have various musical instruments. Don't quite know why though. Typical of SK. He puts things out there and lets the person viewing or listening it figure out what it means to them. Never really says what it's "supposed" to be. I'm sure there are some who look at this cover and think "what a frickin' perv!"
Old 07-29-2005, 11:20 PM   #66
ONE
love, blood, life

More photos are available at Shadow Cabinet image gallery

And here is the main Shadow Cabinet page. This site has loads of interviews and reviews by and of the band. Shadow Cabinet
Old 07-30-2005, 12:35 AM   #67
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

mwp is really hot.

:returns to lurking:
Old 07-30-2005, 12:49 PM   #68
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes
mwp is really hot.

:returns to lurking:
I'll have to dig up some more MWP photos....

Actually, although I'm a huge SK fan, I've always thought MWP would have made a traditionally better frontman for the band. (During the "Steveless" show MWP was just sucking up the attention, and you know, no one complained about the lack of SK. Of course, a part of that is that the crowd knew the band couldn't afford not to play -- and therefore get paid -- so they just took it for what it was.) When he's 'on' he's fabulous to watch and hear (but when he's off he can be hideous ), whereas SK is a much more reserved performer (but I like SK's voice and lyrics much better).
Old 07-30-2005, 09:30 PM   #69
ONE
love, blood, life

Very old shot -- they look about 12! l to r: RP, MWP, PK, SK

Another oldie (I found a trove of oldies ), but a nice one of Peter, and SK is so skinny there. l to r: MWP, RP, PK, SK

The original lineup. Back to front: SK, Nick Ward, MWP, PK. Also explains why Nick Ward got the boot....there ain't no way you can be a member of The Church wearing those shoes. And that's exactly what SK looks like he's thinking too.

MWP I like this one of Marty. I think it was at his solo show in LA in 2004.

MWP w/Spanish guitar (and the much revered stool -- you kinda had to be there ) during "The Theatre and It's Double."

More useless Church triva: Marty has a massive record (and now cd) collection. Over 30,000 now.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:40 PM   #70
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
More useless Church triva: Marty has a massive record (and now cd) collection. Over 30,000 now.
...wow. That'd make for a good afternoon-hanging out and listening to all that music. Wonder what all he has in his collection?

Also, I'm liking these early days pictures of the guys in particular . Some of them are rather cute . And the ones of Marty are cool, too.

Angela
Old 07-30-2005, 10:53 PM   #71
ONE
love, blood, life

PK in back, then l to r: RP, SK, MWP

PK in Newcastle. 2003. w/borrowed Ric

Heyday-era (1986). l to r: SK, RP, MWP, PK

SK in 2000, in Bondi, at the performance that would be released as Acoustic & Intimate Excellent cd.

More useless Church trivia:

SK is quite the boot connoisseur.

"As soon as Beatle boots came out I was obsessed. My whole assessment of you would be based onto what kind of boots you had. There was this kid at school that had suede Beatle boots, they were almost black but were blue. They had these chiselled toes and to me this guy was a man of impeccable taste. I didn't have to know anything about him. I have a large collection of boots and a friend of mine once said, when you walk into my room your head just goes down to the boots. I also once said never trust a man with brown shoes, and I have since found that to be quite true, excluding brown suede Beatle boots, of course."
Old 07-31-2005, 12:55 AM   #72
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

SK in 2000, in Bondi, at the performance that would be released as Acoustic & Intimate Excellent cd.
Nice picture . He looks good.

Quote:
More useless Church trivia:

SK is quite the boot connoisseur.

"As soon as Beatle boots came out I was obsessed. My whole assessment of you would be based onto what kind of boots you had. There was this kid at school that had suede Beatle boots, they were almost black but were blue. They had these chiselled toes and to me this guy was a man of impeccable taste. I didn't have to know anything about him. I have a large collection of boots and a friend of mine once said, when you walk into my room your head just goes down to the boots. I also once said never trust a man with brown shoes, and I have since found that to be quite true, excluding brown suede Beatle boots, of course."
LOL. Interesting way of getting to know people...

Angela
Old 07-31-2005, 01:12 PM   #73
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

...wow. That'd make for a good afternoon-hanging out and listening to all that music. Wonder what all he has in his collection?

Angela
Actually I think hanging out and listening to Marty's collection was what prompted them to record Box of Birds their covers album. They must have been planing to record something at that time (perhaps they were getting started on what would become After Everything Now This ), because they never have really just gotten together to hang out.

Anyway, apparently they were looking through and listening to albums in MWP's collection picking out songs they had always liked. So they took a couple of weeks to record them and voila, Box of Birds was born.
Old 07-31-2005, 01:32 PM   #74
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Actually I think hanging out and listening to Marty's collection was what prompted them to record Box of Birds their covers album. They must have been planing to record something at that time (perhaps they were getting started on what would become After Everything Now This ), because they never have really just gotten together to hang out.

Anyway, apparently they were looking through and listening to albums in MWP's collection picking out songs they had always liked. So they took a couple of weeks to record them and voila, Box of Birds was born.
Oh, yeah?

Good way to get inspired for that kind of an album. And looking at a couple of the artists you mentioned in the "What are you listening to" threads whose songs they covered, they have some good taste .

Angela
Old 07-31-2005, 03:35 PM   #75
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

And looking at a couple of the artists you mentioned in the "What are you listening to" threads whose songs they covered, they have some good taste .

Angela
Yep. I've found a few bands I really like by checking out bands one or another of them likes. Sea Ray, a band MWP liked and picked to open for most of The Church's 2004 US tour was one of those bands. Gersey, a band SK really likes and opened for them on a few of their OZ shows in 2003, is another.

And, of course, the bands and artists that influenced them are also often worthwhile also.