The everything you ever wanted to know about The Church but were afraid to ask thread - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2005, 11:10 PM   #31
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

*Nods* Okay. What kinds of things make you not like those particular albums?

I know I've heard a few songs off of Of Skin and Hearts, but I can't for the life of me remember what they are right now. They play them sometimes on the new wave music channel I listen to.

Angela
Of Skins And Heart in and of itself isn't bad, but it doesn't quite have the "Church" sound. And I love that sound. The Blurred Crusade has several songs I really like (Almost With You is wonderful and You Took is an awesome live song). I like it when I hear it, but I reach for other albums more. I think that part of the reason I like them less is that I got into them late and when I was older. I feel a real kinship with the songs and feelings on After Everything Now This -- the feelings of reflection, regret, and ultimately, acceptance. OSAH and BC just have a much younger vibe to them. Of course, for the people who grew up on them they hold a spot similar to what GAF is for me. And I actually like the versions of Almost With You on El Momento Descuidado and SK's solo album Acoustic & Intimate (recorded in front of a crowd limited to only 50 -- god, I would have loved to have been at that show!) better than the one on BC.

Sometime Anywhere has some really cool songs and I do enjoy it when I'm i the right mood, but it is quite sprawling and disjointed. And there's a few too many MWP vocals for my taste (I'm definitely a SK vocals/lyrics fan ).

Old 07-27-2005, 12:06 AM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

Here's a link to a very good (and amazingly funny), but very long
Steve Kilbey interview. The interviewer (a net friend of mine) is a fan and also someone who's gotten to know SK quite fairly well, and the comfort level is apparent. It really is more a conversation than a typical interview. Plus the photo of SK is one of my favorites.

And I'm the fan who sent SK the disc with the Remy Zero songs.

Old 07-27-2005, 12:25 AM   #33
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The everything you ever wanted to know about The Church but were

Quote:
Originally posted by neutral

So far I really like most of it. God, his voice (their? ) is so great, and after listening to this I feel that his voice was a little overpowered or got a little lost in the mix on other albums and it sounds great on this. I'm not exactly an expert on the other albums so that might just be me though.

I particularly like The Unguarded Moment, (although I find one part of it extremely distracting ) Almost With You, Metropolis, A New Season and Invisible so far. They're so melancholy that it's almost overwhelming. The album really makes me to drink for some reason though.

I love Till The Cows Come Home, at first listen it just sounded like an I love/I miss you song but then as it goes on it seems like the narrator's mood goes back and forth between to to

There are a few tracks I'm not crazy about. November I just cannnot seem to get into, not keen on Between Mirages.
Three of them sing on this one. PK does A New Season, MWP does Chromium and Tristesse (SK usually does it), and SK does the rest. PK usually has the weakest voice, but sounds better than ever here, so that was a very nice surprise. And SK sounds wonderful on this cd! My heart goes pitter patter whenever I hear it. I think it's a combination of he's learning what he can do with it and also that the music doesn't overpower him. Whatever it is it's working.

Is the part of UGM you find distracting the instrumental interlude? I can understand that.

SK has said that virtually all his songs are about the pain of being human, so I think that's what you're tapping into when you get that melancholy feeling.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:55 AM   #34
ONE
love, blood, life

Coming soon... useless Church trivia.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:10 AM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack In The Box

are you asking that to indra? poor kid
Hey! I don't bite (well...ok, sometimes I do, but only in the heat of the moment ).
Old 07-27-2005, 04:48 AM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:14 AM
All this talk about Almost with You and Unguarded Moment is reminding me of seeing them on Countdown (an Aussie music show of the 70's and 80's) all the time and they were famous in an early INXS way. Bringing back the memories....
Old 07-27-2005, 09:05 AM   #37
genius of compression
Forum Moderator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The everything you ever wanted to know about The Church b

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

Is the part of UGM you find distracting the instrumental interlude? I can understand that.

Yeah, one specific part of the interlude, I feel too silly to explain and it's growing on me anyway. God this song is nearly perfect...the lyrics and vocals
I can't believe I didn't notice 3 different voices, I thought maybe 2.

I see Emusic has some MWP solo stuff too, is it good?
Old 07-27-2005, 06:39 PM   #38
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The everything you ever wanted to know about The Church b

Quote:

Yeah, one specific part of the interlude, I feel too silly to explain and it's growing on me anyway. God this song is nearly perfect...the lyrics and vocals
I can't believe I didn't notice 3 different voices, I thought maybe 2.

I see Emusic has some MWP solo stuff too, is it good?
They do have a strange little sound in that interlude. Overall it is a great song though. I like the way they revamped it -- doesn't seem silly for a bunch of 40 and 50 something guys to be playing it.

Who's voice did you miss -- PK's or MWP's? I've had times I'm not quite sure who's singing for a few listens, and reviewers mess them up all the time.

What solo stuff of MWP does emusic have? I don't have all his work so I can't comment on everything. What I do have of his solo stuff doesn't really sound all that much like his Church work. It's odd, his Church songs tend to be a little more rough and rocky than most Church stuff, but his solo stuff (that I've heard anyway) is kinda lovey dovey.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:50 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 11:44 AM
Quote:
Of Skins And Heart in and of itself isn't bad, but it doesn't quite have the "Church" sound. And I love that sound. The Blurred Crusade has several songs I really like (Almost With You is wonderful and You Took is an awesome live song). I like it when I hear it, but I reach for other albums more. I think that part of the reason I like them less is that I got into them late and when I was older. I feel a real kinship with the songs and feelings on After Everything Now This -- the feelings of reflection, regret, and ultimately, acceptance. OSAH and BC just have a much younger vibe to them. Of course, for the people who grew up on them they hold a spot similar to what GAF is for me.
I see. That makes a lot of sense, the whole thing of age being a factor . I can also understand the whole "sound" thing, too...there's some sounds that just work better than others with certain bands.

Quote:
And I actually like the versions of Almost With You on El Momento Descuidado and SK's solo album Acoustic & Intimate (recorded in front of a crowd limited to only 50 -- god, I would have loved to have been at that show!) better than the one on BC.
Hehe, I know that feeling, too...it's not often that I listen to live versions of songs, because all it does, if it's a really good version, is make me wish I'd been there! Course, I do enjoy hearing a few, though, to see how some of my favorite songs come across live...and I'm generally not disappointed. Matter of fact, some live versions of songs have actually made me love a song more than I may have in the past.

Quote:
Sometime Anywhere has some really cool songs and I do enjoy it when I'm i the right mood, but it is quite sprawling and disjointed. And there's a few too many MWP vocals for my taste (I'm definitely a SK vocals/lyrics fan ).
Yeah, there's some singers that you just tend to enjoy more than others. Also, once again, understand about the whole mood thing. Thanks for your answers here .

So, let's see, can't remember if this was mentioned before in this thread or not, but...how'd the band come together to begin with?

Also, I heard "Myrrh" on the new wave channel earlier this afternoon. Interesting song. Kinda pretty music, too.

Angela
Old 07-27-2005, 07:25 PM   #40
genius of compression
Forum Moderator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The everything you ever wanted to know about The

Quote:

Who's voice did you miss -- PK's or MWP's? I've had times I'm not quite sure who's singing for a few listens, and reviewers mess them up all the time.

What solo stuff of MWP does emusic have?

I missed the MWP vocals.

They have Hanging Out in Heaven and Live From The Other Side.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:09 PM   #41
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

So, let's see, can't remember if this was mentioned before in this thread or not, but...how'd the band come together to begin with?

Also, I heard "Myrrh" on the new wave channel earlier this afternoon. Interesting song. Kinda pretty music, too.

Angela
PK and SK had been in several bands together since about 1974 (one being Baby Grande, link here Some photos of a very young SK here too. ) When Baby Grande broke up (Peter had left a while before) PK and SK formed another band with a drummer named Nick Ward (actually that wasn't his real name, but no one seems to know what that was -- or no one who knows is telling). That band was The Church (might have gotten their name from where they practiced -- an old monastary ). MWP came to Australia (native of the UK, as is SK, but SK emigrated to OZ as a toddler) following a girl (they married shortly thereafter...and apparently divorced shortly after that), and within two weeks was a member of The Church. Nick Ward was replaced by Richard Ploog on drums shortly after recording Of Skins And Heart.

Ah, Myrrh. Love that song. Love that album ( Heyday ) too! They played that song as one of their encores on their last US your...kick ass live song.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:21 PM   #42
ONE
love, blood, life

The everything you ever wanted to know about The

Quote:

I missed the MWP vocals.

They have Hanging Out in Heaven and Live From The Other Side.
Many people do miss 'em...they just figure SK's voice is a bit rougher on those songs. I've missed it a few times.

Hanging Out In Heaven is one of those lovey dovey albums -- when he made it (over 5 years) he was madly in love -- being with you is like hanging out in heaven -- by the time it was released the relationship was kaput. I like some of the songs quite well, others I tend to skip. I don't regret buying it though.

I don't have Live From The Other Side (I know, I kow...I'm a slacker! ) but it's on my must buy list. MWP's solo shows are just that -- MWP and an acoustic guitar. So this disc has songs, a couple of poems MWP reads, and banter. I've heard it really captures the MWP solo show experience quite well.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:30 PM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life

A few bits of useless Church triva for ya!

Steve Kilbey once worked as a "computer programmer's assistant" and was asked to resign after writing a program that printed out poetry instead of agricultural data.

Steve and Marty's former partners, Karin Jansson and Ann Carlberger were in a band together called Pink Champagne.

Both Steve and Marty speak Swedish -- most likely because of their relationships with the above partners (and the resulting Swedish children). Marty also speaks Spanish.

Steve has two sets of twin girls:

1) The Twillies: Anna Miranda and Elektra June, now 14, with Karin Jansson. Karin also co-wrote Under The Milky Way.

2) The Doodles: Eve and Aurora, they will be six in October, with wife Natalie. He's said the Doodles are better at trashing hotel rooms than many rockers.

PK's daughters O (yep...he named one of his kids O -- I wonder if it was after the character in "The Story of O"? ) and Neige have their own band named Menage a Trois.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:04 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 11:44 AM
Quote:
PK and SK had been in several bands together since about 1974 (one being Baby Grande, link here Some photos of a very young SK here too. ) When Baby Grande broke up (Peter had left a while before) PK and SK formed another band with a drummer named Nick Ward (actually that wasn't his real name, but no one seems to know what that was -- or no one who knows is telling). That band was The Church (might have gotten their name from where they practiced -- an old monastary ). MWP came to Australia (native of the UK, as is SK, but SK emigrated to OZ as a toddler) following a girl (they married shortly thereafter...and apparently divorced shortly after that), and within two weeks was a member of The Church. Nick Ward was replaced by Richard Ploog on drums shortly after recording Of Skins And Heart.
Okay (LOL about the drummer's name...that is odd. Hm. Musicians can be so goofy about that sort of thing).

Regarding those pictures, heh, Steve looks like he belongs in some 70s classic rock-type band, particularly in the first picture...can't think of which one right now, though.

Quote:
Ah, Myrrh. Love that song. Love that album ( Heyday ) too! They played that song as one of their encores on their last US your...kick ass live song.
Oh, really? Cool . Yeah, it's not a bad song.

Also, I heard "The Unguarded Moment" earlier tonight and noticed it was on that Of Skins and Hearts CD...you're right, it doesn't sound much like some of their other stuff I've heard (which, again, isn't a great deal of stuff, but yeah...).

Neat trivia there, too...didn't know that about the song "Under The Milky Way" being co-written by a girl. Also, I find it a bit amusing that these guys follow girls places/write songs about them/etc.-and then the relationships don't work out. Wonder why that is?

Cute stuff with the kids, too, trashing hotel rooms and all that (so there's a kid named O? Man, and I thought Bono's first son's name was odd, LOL ).

So what are the fans like regarding the band? I assume, seeing as you've mentioned your preference for vocal/lyrical stylings, that there's been many discussions of that nature with other Church fans?

Angela
Old 07-28-2005, 11:04 PM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life

^
^

The Unguarded Moment was co written by a girl too. Someone named Michele Parker...also listed in some places as Michele Kilbey. The first wife! So I did some digging and found a couple of references from SK interviews to her:

1) "She was a friend and sometime collaborator of mine who I don't have much to do with anymore. She now runs a clothing shop in Sydney."

2) [This one is a kind of classic SK tirade -- I can just hear him going on and on. Anyway, Parker isn't mentioned here by name, but gives a little more feel for the situation. And is worth dredging up just for the laugh.]

SK: Is that it? Where are the personal questions?

Are you married, promised, engaged?
SK: I got married very young and it didn't work out. so now I'm divorced.
Would you get married again?
SK: No! I would never EVER get married again!
Gin: Hey Steve, marry me.
SK: All right! No, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
How old were you when you got married?
SK: Twenty-two.
Maybe it was because you felt pressured to get married.
SK: It was! Like the girl I got married to, I'm sure she didn't want to get married, it was like, all her life someone had been saying 'you should get married...you should get married...' and eventually the first eligible, sort of vaguely all right idiot that came walking along, she latched on to, and it was like, 'we're going out together-ok, steady, well, people in Australia don't say that, but the equivalent, and then it was like, let's move in together, and it's like me going 'all right.' Let's get engaged, 'allright.' Let's get married, 'all right'. So before I knew it, it was like '...this is not my beautiful house, this is not my beautiful wife...!'
My god, what have I done?!
SK: And she was beautiful! Anyway she divorced me, took the proceeds of my first royalty check for "Unguarded Moment" and all the money I made off of that, and now she's one of the most successful fashion designers in Australia. But that's all right, good luck to her. Now we hardly see each other, but when we do we're extremely good friends, there's no real bad feelings.
But you don't recommend marriage.
SK: I don't recommend marriage. I don't think people are naturally monogomous and I think marriage tries to reinforce that.
The romance wears off too quickly.
SK: It's funny because you do see people who have been married for fifty years, and they still love each other, but I can't envision that happening to me because I'm sort of...
But that was fifty years ago and they were brought up in a different time and think differently about marriage.
SK: Yeah!
then there's the secrets, you find out your parents have been married for 50 years but the really can't stand each other, they've stayed together for the sake of the kids.
SK: It's like you're going to die and someone is going to give you a medal! you hear people say 'let's stay together for the sake of your marriage' and so it's as if there are 3 of you in bed: you, her, and the marriage! Like 'we don't like each other, but we don't want the marriage to find out!' so don't get married! then one day your Prince Charming will come along and you will disregard this advice!
Well, sometimes I just wonder...
SK: Wonder what? what's the stigma? That's another thing society has forced on women, that men if you're a bachelor, like I can be unmarried until I'm 50 and people will say 'Steve Kilbey, he's an eligible bachelor.' If YOU don't get married, people say... '

...old maid!'
SK: Exactly! Exactly! so you've got to fight that whole fucking thing!

[ ummm...so guess who's married now? Since 2000. And seems very content too. ]