The everything you ever wanted to know about The Church but were afraid to ask thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hey trance :wave:

ive got seated tickets for sun (and sat now as imanaged to get o0ne of the last drop today!)...have just got back from listening to soundcheck with BEG and they played one tree hill 3 times!!!

the line up for ga was huge and they let them in once soundcheck finished which was about 5.10pm

havnt heard of any church/steve/marty dates in adel other than day on the green, which i hope to attend........

Enjoy.

The original painting used for the cover of ULTC just sold on eBay for $8,280 AUD (approx. $6364 USD)! That has to please Steve no end. :)

ULTC cover painting on eBay

(wow! this thread is getting close to 500 posts -- I'm gonna have to start a new one soon. I'll kind of miss this one when it gets closed. :sad: )

reptile said:
hey trance :wave:

ive got seated tickets for sun (and sat now as imanaged to get o0ne of the last drop today!)...have just got back from listening to soundcheck with BEG and they played one tree hill 3 times!!!

the line up for ga was huge and they let them in once soundcheck finished which was about 5.10pm

havnt heard of any church/steve/marty dates in adel other than day on the green, which i hope to attend........

Enjoy.

Hey there!!:wave: Aww man, I totally forgot to pack my Churchy tshirt to wear yesterday at U2 (I bunked down for the last couple of nights with my buddies from Perth who are over in Melb for U2 at their hotel ... I couldn't face the hassle of getting home after the gigs on public transport :huh: ) It would of been so cool just to say hi, but yeah! Obviously it would of been pretty difficult with the amount of people queuing up!

I hope you guys had a brilliant time nonetheless .. I know I did :wink:

Wow, I would of thought that maybe SK/MWP may of slotted in a show in Adelaide next month .... never mind, you two should head back to Melbourne for the show here :wink:

I'd really love to attend the Church/Day on the Green show here in Melb/Vic .... but I have no idea how I'd get there without a car or transport :sad:

I'll try and figure somethin' out!

indra said:

(wow! this thread is getting close to 500 posts -- I'm gonna have to start a new one soon. I'll kind of miss this one when it gets closed. :sad: )

Please, please do Indra, this is my favourite place here :D

And that's fantastic news for SK too :hyper:

.......so we wasted all that time looking for a church t-shirt?! :eyebrow: :wink:

BEG will be furious with you.

Next time the Church play you will have to wear a u2 t-shirt so we can find you.....:wink:

reptile said:
.......so we wasted all that time looking for a church t-shirt?! :eyebrow: :wink:

BEG will be furious with you.

Next time the Church play you will have to wear a u2 t-shirt so we can find you.....:wink:

oh god, I feel really guilty now! :huh: :wink:

i'm not sure if it's a good idea to wear a U2 tshirt at a Church gig :wink: I might get in trouble from SK! :ohmy:

TranceEnding said:

i'm not sure if it's a good idea to wear a U2 tshirt at a Church gig :wink: I might get in trouble from SK! :ohmy:

I sure as hell wouldn't chance it. He can go on quite the tirade! And I know I wouldn't like to be on the receiving end of a SK tirade. :uhoh: I did get treated to a mini rant (about meet n greets) once on the phone though -- that was interesting.... I just got reeeaaalllyy quiet and suddenly he stopped and said "oh, sorry" and then we went on to something else. :)

I think I mentioned a while ago that I had a bootleg of one of the US shows and asked if any of you three wanted a copy...now I forget if anyone said yes. :uhoh: But I just got a couple more shows (Chicago and San Francisco) and both are a lot of fun (lots of drunken stoned hippie SK banter -- what more can you want? :) ) so if any of you want me to send you a set, just email me your addy and I'll get them off in the next week. Got my cd burner cranked up and a bunch of bubble envelopes at the ready, so catch me while I'm hot (I've already sent out six sets and have several more to go). :D

Here's a couple of fan reviews of the most recent Steve vs Marty gig. They sound as if they are a blast dammit! :grumpy:

Last night's show was probably one of the top 3 Church-related shows I have yet to attend. SK was in the best mood I have ever seen him in. So many jokes and hoax, prancing around stage, I just can't say enough. Place was packed, nice t-shirts SK vs MWP, and they did songs I have not hear them do in decades!
Here is the list, hope this time there are no disagreements, but if there are, let me know...

Ritz
Chromium
Disappear
Fly
One Day
Mistress
Into My Hands
Metropolis
Lost
Day 5
Tomorrow
My Little Problem
Buffalo
Wolf (this is an SK new song, I have heard it before at his solo gig at Sando and Wine Banq)
2 Places
Start To Bleed
Monday Morning
Life's a Gas
Keeper (my favourite version with MWP playing electric giving little tweaks and ambiance sounds)
Secret Corners (brought me to tears, so cool)
Tristesse
Wide Open Road (SK said this is on the new El Momento CD due in Jan.)
Providence
UTMW
7X7 (Hawkwind) -- MWP shredding his Fender to pieces
Reptile (SK insane on his bass, making funny animal sounds, and so on)

As you can see, quite a seriously long setlist. Delicious!
Also mentioned but not confirmed they might be performing on Australia Day and SK was doing a lovely impersonation of John Howard calling him up asking him to play. Also confirmed show, Dec. 23 at the Basement a "vegetarian, spacey, all-night Christmas show" -- this is great.

STEVE KILBEY vs MARTY WILSON-PIPER

"Vs"? It didn't seem adversarial to me. No, it was more like two alpha dogs who've learned to rub along together over the years, come along to the Sando to take a jaunt around the neighbourhood they own. As it's no longer necessary to expend energy fighting for superiority over up-and-coming young pups (they're so clearly in charge), they're free to roam about razzing cats, pissing on trees, generally surveying their kingdom and barking up a storm for the sheer pleasure of it. Yeah, I'm already regretting this analogy too.

To cut to the chase: Stories! Jokes! Interpretive dance! Shorts and work boots! Guitar moves! Bass solos! Weird-out space rock! Crowd requests! Bags of oregano! Audiences with the Prime Minister! SK having to dab at the rock-sweat with a Winnie The Pooh towel: "This is so demeaning!" And that's not even touching on the songs. I must confess here that I'm not a long-time Church fan like most in the room, so a lot of the songs were unknown to me, but I paid special attention to the encore, as I'd promised Mark (poor thing had to leave early). So here they are, the last songs of the evening: 10,000 miles (?); Providence; Under The Milky Way (complete with salute and hand over the heart); My Astral Song (?); and to finish off, a fine acoustic pick through Reptile (killer riff) with SK twanging out spacey bleats and blurts on the bass, just to make MWP laugh. Awwwww. Ain't band-love grand??

For those who just can't get enough of that wunnerful SK/MWP stuff, they're playing a "space rock spectacular" (whatever the hell that means) at The Basement on 23 December. And for those discerning members of the music-appreciating public who need further acquaintance with the talented lads of Hitchcock's Regret, they're playing next at Spectrum on Oxford Street on 22 December, and Mark Moldre's helping out his bud Michael Carpenter at the Hopetoun next Wednesday, 6 December. All this great music coming at the pointy end of the year - think I'll have to keep my Best Gigs Of The Year review open right up until the very last day. Oooh, maybe the best are still to come? Bring 'em on!

I got a laugh out of the alpha dogs image! It's really quite accurate. :)

Oooh! and the "bags of oregano". Haha! Yeah, I'm sure that's what it was.... :lmao:

Last edited:
Delicious indeed! :drool:

'Mistress' :drool: +
interperative dance (! :ohmy: ) +
bags of oregano ...... !!!!!!!!!!

oh my, it's gonna be a very good night indeed on Dec 13 it seems!! :huh: :hyper: :dancing:

Oh .. and please Santa! Send me a ticket (and an airfare! :wink: ) to the "vegetarian, spacey, all-night Christmas show"

Oh! and an airfare for Indra so that she can come along too :hug: I know it's not gonna be a HUGE consolation to you, but I promise, lotsa photo's and tshirt will be coming your way! :)

Oh and Santa, please send SK and MWP my way!!!! :grumpy: The shows sound absolutely awesome and no chance of them playing in my neck of the woods. AND to have the chance to see "interpretative dance"!!!! :scream:

Oh well, roll on Day on the Green.....

blueeyedgirl, do you want a tshirt too from SK/MWP?!?! :wink: Honest, I don't mind .. give us a shout if you do :)

maybe I can get Marty to sign it for you, hehe :sexywink:

feelin' a bit guilty now :|

Oh no, don't mind me, Trance, I was just having a whinge!!! :rant: Plus today was 2 weeks exactly since U2 were in Adelaide :( I'm just having one of those "bloody rock bands, if they rully loved us, they wouldn't leave, bastards! :mad: " kinda day.....

Oooooh a t-shirt sounds lovely though, ta, and if Indra would be so kind to pass on my email..... :D

blueeyedgirl said:
Plus today was 2 weeks exactly since U2 were in Adelaide :( I'm just having one of those "bloody rock bands, if they rully loved us, they wouldn't leave, bastards! :mad: " kinda day.....

hehe, hey, I'm hearing ya! :wink:

My advice to counter PCB (that is, post-concert blues) is to take over the DVD player at home and play concert DVDs repeatedly until you start smiling again :) That live in Milan one (that comes with the U218 cd) has been working wonders especially!

Good luck! :wink:

oooh, and cool about the tshirt :)

blueeyedgirl said:

Oooooh a t-shirt sounds lovely though, ta, and if Indra would be so kind to pass on my email..... :D

Hello again :wave:

sent an email your way :wink: ... just incase it goes to your junk mail or somethin' and you don't get to read it!

Wah, the thread will be closed soon. :sad: But we'll start up a new one. :) After all, there's a new album in the works and touring to talk about. Yay!

Here's links to some songs from a live TV performance in 2000. The Hotel Womb one especially isn't well synched at all (typical of youtube), but it's still fun, and I really like Endless Sea.

Hotel Womb

Ripple

Two Places At Once

Endless Sea

indra said:
Wah, the thread will be closed soon. :sad: But we'll start up a new one. :) After all, there's a new album in the works and touring to talk about. Yay!

Here's links to some songs from a live TV performance in 2000. The Hotel Womb one especially isn't well synched at all (typical of youtube), but it's still fun, and I really like Endless Sea.

Hotel Womb

Ripple

Two Places At Once

Endless Sea

oooooooh, thank you Indra! Though, it's a bit difficult to watch with my ancient computer :wink: Is this from the programme Studio 22?!?! I know I have this on video tape somewhere (I think my sis has got it).

I LOVE the Endless Sea :heart: :heart: I'd love to hear that live again, one of these days .. sigh!

So, have you thought of any good titles for the new Church thread?!?!:D I can post some photo's from the upcoming SK/MWP gig (fingers crossed :))

Ooh, and I keep forgetting to say, I love that little pic of SK you've got there, it's a really nice one!

TranceEnding said:

oooooooh, thank you Indra! Though, it's a bit difficult to watch with my ancient computer :wink: Is this from the programme Studio 22?!?! I know I have this on video tape somewhere (I think my sis has got it).

I LOVE the Endless Sea :heart: :heart: I'd love to hear that live again, one of these days .. sigh!

So, have you thought of any good titles for the new Church thread?!?!:D I can post some photo's from the upcoming SK/MWP gig (fingers crossed :))

Ooh, and I keep forgetting to say, I love that little pic of SK you've got there, it's a really nice one!

It is from Studio 22. :yes: Well go find that video! That version of Endless Sea is awesome!!

I do have one title in mind for the new thread. :D And by all means post photos -- blueeyedgirl needs to see MWP's moustache! (we want her prepared for it when she next sees him) :yes:

My sig line pic? I really like that one too. I think it was taken in Atlanta in 2004. I used to have a larger version of it, but can't find it anymore.

OH! and Peter Koppes is a papa again! His wife gave birth (well, emergency c-section) a week or so ago. A little boy (screwed up the Church record of band members only having girls though :grumpy: ). I haven't heard what they decided for a name (Peter is a lot more private than Stevie). Last I heard everyone was doing fine. :)

I'm almost too scared to post in this thread, don't want to kill it off any sooner than we have to :wink: but yes, MWP photos. With 'tache. Need. To. See. :ohmy: And Trance, gig reviews!!! :hyper:

And congrats, Peter. Obv he's been doing sumfin different :D

Well peoples, this is post 500!!! So I will try and make it a special one :wink:

Let's begin with a coupla photo's, shall we?!!?

00430023.jpg

00430014.jpg

00430011.jpg

These of course were taken at the recent SKvsMWP gig I went to last week. Hmmmmm .. I wonder if I could of got any closer :wink: I actually got a bit of a fright when the stage curtain was pulled back when the show started to reveal that I was standing right in front of SK, about 2 feet away from me :ohmy: haha

I was sooooo excited about getting these photo's back, but I must admit, I don't think they turned out as brilliantly as I thought they would. Though, I really do like the one of Steve. It's so strange, but for the life of me, I don't think I ever really get good Churchy photo's. Especially MWP ones ... sigh! I try and be a good girl and don't use a flash (because I don't like the thought of blinding anyone) but it's difficult with Marty, coz he never seems to stand still! So I've got lots of blurry-headed Marty photo's in my collection!

blueeyedgirl, I promise I will write you very soon with more photo's and a proper review (well, to the best of my abilities anyway, haha!) It was such a brilliant night .. they were on stage for around 2 and half hours, but that also included much banter and chit chat ... and of course, a wonderful demonstration of dancing from the lovely SK! God, it was so hilarious .. at times I was almost in tears from laughter!

I'm sure you guys feel the same way, but I always feel deliriously happy when I get to see them (and the whole band too of course!) I had the biggest smile on my face afterwards :D

Oooh, and I hope you can see Marty's moustache properly in the photo's ... it looks so much better in real life, haha! As does Marty, ahahaha ..

ahem ..

Oh and Indra, I totally forgot to mention too, that Marty announced Peter's new baby at the show! It was so funny actually, because he said 'Pete just had a new baby last night!' And my sister says, wow! I didn't know Peter was THAT amazing (or something like that) Or, maybe you just had to be there :wink: But anyway, yes, congratulations to Peter and his wife!

Well, very much looking forward to the next Church thread! Congratulations on this wonderful one .. especially coz it's given me the opportunity to meet you guys ... awwwwww ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom