The everything you ever wanted to know about The Church but were afraid to ask thread - Page 27 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2006, 08:56 AM   #391
Refugee

Local Time: 09:12 AM

That photo is hilarious!! Love it!!! And how strange it is to see SKs bare legs?!

Yup, I've joined the mailing list and all at the official site quite a while ago .. but I haven't stumbled upon that pic before! Maybe I should check out the photo's more often, heehee.

That lovely pic of Marty I recognized immediately due to the white outfits as worn by the boys on the last tour (well, last Nov/Dec)! The first thing I thought was that you may have been in Aus to catch a show or two & that was a photo you'd taken Those white clothes were a bit scary to be honest

I hope you have the most amazing time at the upcoming gig(s)! Fill me in on all the details! I have a long time pal that lives in Cleveland, and I was so excited to find out recently that the Church will be doing a show there in August, so I emailed her straight away about it, so hopefully she'll be able to go!

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention that I also went to see MWP and the lovely Mood Maidens here in Melbourne back in Feb (in the concert thread) which was a truely wonderful evening! I saw him as well (solo) a few months before last October, which was brilliant. Yes, I must admit, I have had a 20 year crush on lovely Marty. -sigh- it's kinda sad really, haha. But hey, what's not to love about him?!?! One of my fave memories is having a chat to him (well, he did all the talking .. I just stood there like an idiot!!) a couple of years ago at a in-store appearance (for his Noctorum CD), telling me all about the songs and which one's I'd really like .. it was so lovely! And he signed my CD '...love, te amo, Marty ..' I was a very happy gal that day!

Yeah! I went to the ULTC launch back in March .. it was kind of an odd night really .. I don't know why .. I didn't like the venue much. Hmmm .. but musically, of course it was brilliant. I nearly died when they did 'Grind' ...... wowwow. Yes I got my Tin Mine CD .. as well as an autographed copy of ULTC!!!

You're completely right, I've been sooo lucky to have seen them so often in the last few years .. I shouldn't be jealous at all about the US tour (but .. I'm just a greedy Church fan!)

Anyway, I can ramble on forever ... it's just so wonderful to be able to talk about them with fellow worshippers! So, I say, long live this thread, haha!

After all this time, I'm still find myself in awe and wonder listening to their music .. it's really hard to find the right words to describe how much their music means to me! I just find them so inspiring!

OK .... I better shut up now!

Old 06-21-2006, 02:17 AM   #392
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by TranceEnding
May I congratulate you on your excellent taste?!
Yes, you most certainly may !!!

So, I gather you're a fan too ???! [/B][/QUOTE]

Er, yes, you could say I'm a fan of MWP

Didn't get the chance to see the Church last year through unfortunate circumstances, but did see MWP solo earlier this year (and to get to meet him after ). Unfortunately I kinda lost touch with the Church for a few years, was a fan of their early 80s stuff, but thankfully Indra and her long lived thread has pulled me back into the fold

Lots of nice photos throughout this thread, though I'm not sure that last one of SK qualifies!

Old 06-21-2006, 02:22 AM   #393
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
[One of my fave memories is having a chat to him (well, he did all the talking .. I just stood there like an idiot!!) a couple of years ago at a in-store appearance (for his Noctorum CD), telling me all about the songs and which one's I'd really like .. it was so lovely! And he signed my CD '...love, te amo, Marty ..' I was a very happy gal that day!
[/B]
Hang on, I just read this. When I missed the Church gig in Dec, my friend reptile, another Church fan and AWOL poster here, managed to get an autograph from SK and MWP for me. AND he signed mine "love and kisses".

So he's just some big floozie then???!!!! Bloody rock stars!

Old 06-21-2006, 06:21 AM   #394
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:12 PM
I'm starting to get excited now -- I just checked the official site and there are dates for Detroit, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Chicago, and Milwaukee which are all within a reasonable distance from me, as I live in...wait for it...Columbus! How cool is that? And I love that song too. I probably can't make Detroit, but the others are all real possibilities. And the midwest is not as congested as the east coast, so the driving between cities should be a lot easier. I'll still get lost in the cities though. That's a given for me.

Although it's looking as if I'm going to get a really nice set of Church shows, I am so jealous of both of you for getting to see some solo shows. But I am thrilled with how this tour is playing out in my area this time.

And I just heard that Rob Dickinson (Catherine Wheel) is opening for all the US Church shows. Cool.

Yes, Indra's evil plan is to re-capture wayward Church fans and snag unsuspecting newbies into Church-land. As most people here (at least in B&C) can tell you, I can work a Church/Kilbey reference into just about any conversation.

(and don't you wish you could use these smilies in the comments section of Steve's blog? I would so love to be able to use some of them there...especially this one: at times. )

Yeah, that photo of SK made me laugh soooo hard when I first saw it. I would so love to hear the story of that photo. I just can't imagine that he would actually want to wear those clothes for a performance. As for the white outfits...I don't know. I'm not terribly fond of all white, but I don't care too much -- heck I'd even love 'em if they all wore polka dotted shorts and godawful tshirts, although that might be pushing it a bit.

Don't ever worry about rambling (God, I love "Ramble" off the Jack Frost cd!) on too long about The Church or the various Churchlings with me around. I think I can talk about them endlessly. And weirdly, I find it easier to talk about them here than at the Church boards (although I do manage to comment on most every one of SK's blog entries -- but you know he just loves all the attention and comments!).

And speaking of SK's blog -- oh, I loved his "chooseday" one! I think it should be required reading for every woman or girl. Damn. I wanted to give him the biggest hug!

Ok, now I'm just getting silly. I better head off to bed (which I should have headed off to 5-6 hours ago at least....)

I'm just so excited to find more real live Church fans.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:22 AM   #395
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by blueeyedgirl

Hang on, I just read this. When I missed the Church gig in Dec, my friend reptile, another Church fan and AWOL poster here, managed to get an autograph from SK and MWP for me. AND he signed mine "love and kisses".

So he's just some big floozie then???!!!! Bloody rock stars!

I laughed so hard at that!
Old 06-24-2006, 03:44 AM   #396
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

I laughed so hard at that!

Me too ... well, not really .. haha, but anyway ...

It reminded me of SK introducing MWP at a show I went to last Dec as 'an international playboy ..' among other (funny) things! Oh! Say it isn't so!!!

I feel rude for not responding for a few days, but I've been ill !!! But feeling much better today ... gastro. It's not fun.

I'v heard lots about Catherine Wheel, but have never heard any of their music before. Maybe I should check them out!!

Just sounds like some amazing shows coming your way
Old 06-25-2006, 04:02 AM   #397
ONE
love, blood, life

Glad to hear you're feeling better...I think I had that same bug last year and I was certainly miserable for a while.

I do love the intros SK does for MWP and PK. You never quite know what he is going to come up with. Nice to see him displaying his sense of humour on stage. At one show where they (well Marty mostly) were having technical difficulties, we were treated to Steve's entire stock of Wisconsin trivia. Plus he did a wicked impersonation of the Violent Femmes Gordon Gano. He was very funny...luckily he was in a good mood because MWP sure wasn't that night. But...Marty was an absolute delight the next night and that show was awesome!

As for Dickinson...I heard Marty did the happy dance when they were able to get him for the tour. That's one of those "I wish someone had thought to video that..." moments. Actually, I have been meaning to check out CW for years, but never got around to it. I feel like such a slacker! I did zip over to Dickinson's MySpace page and listen to the songs he has up there though. I quite liked them, so I will most certainly pick up his solo cd and some CW stuff too so I can get comfortable with his work before the tour.

I'm really getting excited about the tour now...even started buying tickets!
Old 06-26-2006, 12:15 AM   #398
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
I'm really getting excited about the tour now...even started buying tickets!
Good to hear!
Old 07-16-2006, 05:32 AM   #399
ONE
love, blood, life

Just under a year ago I started this thread when the release of their new album Uninvited, Like The Clouds was delayed yet again (it was finally released in April of this year). As I write this members of The Church are flying over the Pacific on their way to begin their US tour in support of ULTC.

The shows I'm gonna see are still about a month out, but I can hardly wait to hear from friends going to the early gigs. Anyway, they always have good shows (and Rob Dickinson of Catherine Wheel is opening), so if they are playing anywhere close I urge you to check them out.

Check their website for cities, dates and venues.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:15 AM   #400
Refugee

I agree with everything Indra said! They're amazing .. check them out at a gig near you, if you possibly can!

How many shows are you going to?? They're not that far off now .. I hope you have a wonderful time Awww .. I wanna go too haha

Hope you'll report back here and let us know all the details
Old 07-18-2006, 03:20 AM   #401
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Just had a lurk around Grant Lee Phillips's website and he's releasing a new album called "Nineteeneighties" with songs from, well, you know Apparently, he's done a cover of "Under the Milky Way"
Old 07-18-2006, 03:41 AM   #402
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I agree with everything Indra said! They're amazing .. check them out at a gig near you, if you possibly can!

How many shows are you going to?? They're not that far off now .. I hope you have a wonderful time Awww .. I wanna go too haha

Hope you'll report back here and let us know all the details
I was actually considering putting an offer out here to buy a ticket to the show of choice to the first 10 or 15 people to respond, but then decided against it. I'll just spend it on the merch table.

I'm going to five shows, but they won't be until the end of the tour. Still, it's getting close now and I'm getting excited. A friend is going to the first show today, so she'll give me an update. She's going a bit early as she is taking some prints and cards in to Steve for me (I'm his art rep, so I got all that stuff ready), so I'm hoping she will have some interesting tales. I told him he couldn't be cranky or mean to her and he said "Who me?" I just laughed.

Don't feel too sad, they still have to do the ULTC tour of Australia. Then you'll be happy and I'll get to feel envious!
Old 07-18-2006, 09:07 PM   #403
ONE
love, blood, life

Just a couple hours until the show starts now. I spoke to my friend and SK about 45 min ago and they were assembling cds and still had the prints to sign yet. Looks as if everything is right on schedule for the Church.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:02 PM   #404
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Nothing much has changed there then!
Old 07-28-2006, 05:23 PM   #405
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:12 PM
Quote:
I'm going to five shows,