The everything you ever wanted to know about The Church but were afraid to ask thread - Page 23 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2006, 11:18 PM   #331
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:35 AM
Of course he looked good...he's MWP...he always looks good. ...well, he does look as if he's had a few hard nights in the new band photos. But in person he's a total flirt.

I did hear he was thinking about doing the poetry readings for the earlybirds. And I'm with you on wanting to hear him read his mum's letter...he's done it at other shows, so it's either one hell of a letter, or she keeps sending him doozies. I've heard Mum's letter is hilarious.

And I know this guy who is writing kind of a biography of SK for his PhD dissertation. Of course, SK attention hound that he is, is in his glory. Rob (the writer) said he was amazed at how open SK was about all sorts of stuff. I think we're getting a taste of that candor sometimes in SK's blog. ...but back to what I wanted to mention... in getting background info for the bio, Rob had some conversations (at first in person and then via email) with Steve's mum. He said she was a trip! Great at getting him all sorts of info and dishing the dirt on SK. Gotta love mums!

But think about it...I imagine both Steve's and Marty's mums have to have pretty good senses of humour. Those two guys are total flakes. Wonderful guys...but flaky as all hell.

Old 02-03-2006, 01:05 AM   #332
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by indra
And check out this site: click here for some live clips for 1990. They look so young.... Marty looks so pretty....
Never mind this link, it's toast.

Old 02-04-2006, 01:30 PM   #333
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:05 PM
yeah, i noticed......still, i like toast......
they say man cannot live on bread alone, but toast, now thats different....mmmmmmmmmm toast.......
Old 02-28-2006, 05:14 PM   #334
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

MWP tonight
Old 02-28-2006, 06:14 PM   #335
ONE
love, blood, life

Yeah! I just read a fan review of a recent show (over the weekend I think) and she said Marty was looking mighty fine. Just figured you needed to know these important things. You have to give me all the details, ya know!

Oooh! and I got to read a brief clip from the SK bio. It recounted the first meeting of MWP and the rest of the band (well mostly Steve). Marty introduced himself after a show and chatted with Steve for a little while. After he left, Steve announced Marty was the new guitarist in the band. He'd never heard him play, just thought he looked the part.

And you know, although I'm a Steve girl through and through (ya never would have guessed that, would ya? ), I have to agree. To me Marty has perfect rock star looks. He's great fun to watch play (I've only seen him perform with the band, never solo)...he really gets into it and has a great time. And fortunately for The Church he soon developed great playing skills to match his looks.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:59 PM   #336
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Sounds good. The pub where he's playing tonight is a nice, tiny, intimate space. No prizes for guessing what I'll be doing...

Unfortunately, reptile may not be able to join me this evening. Then again, he would be cramping my style
Old 02-28-2006, 07:40 PM   #337
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by blueeyedgirl
Sounds good. The pub where he's playing tonight is a nice, tiny, intimate space. No prizes for guessing what I'll be doing...

Unfortunately, reptile may not be able to join me this evening. Then again, he would be cramping my style
But wasn't reptile supposed to help you wrestle MWP in your car after the show?

I'll be thinking of you during the show. And making this face.

We need some Choich love here too, damn it!
Old 02-28-2006, 09:26 PM   #338
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

But wasn't reptile supposed to help you wrestle MWP in your car after the show?
Manhandling

Quote:

I'll be thinking of you during the show. And making this face.
Love you too!

Quote:

We need some Choich love here too, damn it!
Sending good vibes your way
Old 02-28-2006, 09:51 PM   #339
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Manhandling
I guess if you have no reptile you'll just have to womanhandle Marty. Good times for all!

Quote:

Love you too!
I'm just cranky because y'all seem to be getting all the Choich lovin' lately and there is no word on any for us right now. I really am thrilled you're going to get to see Marty. I'm just pouting a bit....

Quote:

Sending good vibes your way
Thanks!
Old 03-01-2006, 05:20 PM   #340
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

I'm just cranky because y'all seem to be getting all the Choich lovin' lately and there is no word on any for us right now. I really am thrilled you're going to get to see Marty. I'm just pouting a bit....
Word on the street is some Choich luuurve for the US possibly in July. And before that, some solo MWP luuurrrvvve.....

(and no, no news on what's happening in Sydney on the 27th, I asked but he wouldn't spill )
Old 03-01-2006, 06:16 PM   #341
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Word on the street is some Choich luuurve for the US possibly in July. And before that, some solo MWP luuurrrvvve.....

(and no, no news on what's happening in Sydney on the 27th, I asked but he wouldn't spill )
oooohhh!! Yay!!! I'm sooo happy right now.

He wouldn't tell even after you had him tied up and stuffed in the back of your car? Damn. He's more tough than I thought.

...so, how was the show?
Old 03-01-2006, 10:25 PM   #342
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I tell you, it was an effort to get him in the back of the hatchback

Anyway, the show, MWP on a very gaffer taped 12 string acoustic for the whole show.
Lots of chat while he retuned the thing between songs.
Poetry interludes.
Nice black shirt

Some highlights: He said early on that being in such an intimate space was like seeing your mother naked (which set off one audience member on an interesting tangent... )

Why croissants are Austrian, not French.

Mozart.

His 19 marriages.

Some songs: Hopes and Fears, Chromium, Alex Chilton's "Thirteen" , Disenchanted, some Steve songs (which "Steve won't play anymore and he can't anyway, cos they've got some really complicated arpeggios for a bass player" )and a bunch of Mood Maidens songs, but without the Mood Maidens who couldn't make it.

Oooh, and the best of all, the letter from his Mum!!!!
Old 03-03-2006, 01:50 AM   #343
ONE
love, blood, life

That MWP show sounds as if it was so much fun. Someday I will manage to see one.

Uh, blueeyedgirl, I just got off the phone with SK and while we were talking he got another call. He checked it and then continued with our call, but he told me "that was MWP. Where ever he was there was all this yelling and screaming."

So I just have to know, what were you doing to him!

And I can't believe it...we talked for over an hour, and I still forgot to ask what the big deal is supposed to be at the end of March for them. Oooh and he is going to be doing a solo show in Sydney on April 1st. I figure since nothing else of any interest is going on in Sydney that evening all Sydney area Interferencers should go check him out.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:32 AM   #344
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Noise? I have no idea what SK is talking about

Well, no doubt the mystery of the 27th will be unveiled soon. Funnily enough I will be in Sydney on April 1 but I will be otherwise occupied seeing some Irish foursome......
Old 03-04-2006, 02:25 AM   #345
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Noise? I have no idea what SK is talking about
You go girl!

Quote:

Well, no doubt the mystery of the 27th will be unveiled soon.
It was today -- it's their new album launch 20th in Brisbane, 27th in Sydney, and 28th in Melbourne. Attendees get a special edition cd with songs not otherwise available. (ah well...maybe they will be the current equivalent of "Maybe These Boys" and "Busdriver." I never did care for those...)

Quote:

Funnily enough I will be in Sydney on April 1 but I will be otherwise occupied seeing some Irish foursome......
Wait a minute... You would give up this:

Quote:
me
on my own
stripped bare
in a way youve never imagined ( thank god he's not been privvy to my imagination... )
an evening with me
just you and me
and some people called the ordience
please come a long
otherwise i will feel pathetic in the empty venue
singin my maudlin tripe
to no one
the only trouble really is
that
although i am goode at many things
and the best at others
unfortunately
standing there with an acc guitar
and singin' by myselves
isnt one of them
cmon
we can admit it
ah go on say it
im not much chop at it
no folks
this aint false modesty
its just that
it aint my thing
so please come along
for 15 aust bucks
even if im not very goode
its still a bargain
to see some Irish foursome?

What are you thinking?

Somehow I think Stevie needs help in the shameless self promotion department. That was just sooo pitiful.