The everything you ever wanted to know about The Church but were afraid to ask thread - Page 20 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-22-2005, 06:19 PM   #286
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by blueeyedgirl


Well, it don't matter cos I got my Choich Chrissy pressie yesterday, via reptile (cheers mate!) Ooooooh I can feel the Choich luuuurrrvvvveeee......
Oooh! That must mean he bought you:

Quote:

the new sk condoms
available in titanium white
brilliant red
and regular sorta greeny yellow (these with ribs)






(the really scary thing is....I'd probably buy the damned things! )
__________________

__________________
indra is offline  
Old 12-23-2005, 02:00 AM   #287
Blue Crack Addict
 
the rockin edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: tomorrow's just an excuse away
Posts: 26,816
Local Time: 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra


I knew I'd get you sooner or later! No one can resist the awesome power of The Church indefinitely (although a shitload of people have been doing a damned good job of it so far.... )

Here goes:

I really suck at describing music, but here goes.

Well all the guys were born in the 50's and grew up in the 60's and early 70's, so all that great music was an influence on them. The bands most mentioned are Pink Floyd and The Byrds (lots of jangly guitar early in their career, not so much now). Dreamy neo-psychedelia moving into space rock. Lush, melodic, melancholic. Space rock is SK's current favourite term for them, but when he said it MWP shot him the look, so they can't even decide what they are.

In the 80's they toured with Echo and the Bunnymen and that seemed to work well...the crowds liked both bands. So that might give you another reference point. The Cure and The Psychedelic Furs are also often mentioned as similar bands.

.....................................................................................................

Ok, so much for that. On to the kick ass live songs.

Tantalised
You Took
Myrrh
Cantilever
Reptile
The Theatre and It's Double
Sealine (the elcetric version very cool live. I haven't heard the acoustic version live)

Marty's songs tend to come alive more when done live too.

I like most of the songs I've heard done live actually.

If you'd like to hear a few I can get them to you.
thanks for the info! I found a couple samples on itunes. reptile sounded good. this band sounds ok i'd love a few live tracks
__________________

__________________
the rockin edge is offline  
Old 12-23-2005, 02:58 AM   #288
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
blueeyedgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bottom of the earth
Posts: 6,774
Local Time: 07:51 AM
Quote:

Oooh! That must mean he bought you:


the new sk condoms
available in titanium white
brilliant red
and regular sorta greeny yellow (these with ribs)


__________________
blueeyedgirl is offline  
Old 01-07-2006, 11:28 PM   #289
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
blueeyedgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bottom of the earth
Posts: 6,774
Local Time: 07:51 AM
Had a Choich nostalgia trip last night, or this morning. Every summer, one of the music vid shows on telly here show old episodes from the 80s from "Countdown", THE great Oz music show. And who should be on, on 8 September 1981 but the verrry young Choich miming along to "Too Fast for You" in front of a rather disinterested studio audience. The Choich were wearing full make up and SK was wearing a rather fetching dark shade of lippy to match his eyeshadow. Oh and a very nice jacket and tie. Jangly guitars, harmonies and lippy And the really frightening thing is I in all probability was sitting at home that Sunday night in 1981 watching it.
__________________
blueeyedgirl is offline  
Old 01-07-2006, 11:41 PM   #290
New Yorker
 
annabelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In a dry and waterless place
Posts: 2,815
Local Time: 08:21 AM
Hi indra,
There's an article on Steve Kilbey in our local Sat paper this weekend. (+pic) When I get a minute I'll scan it for you.

__________________
annabelle is offline  
Old 01-08-2006, 01:37 AM   #291
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by gr@cie
Hi indra,
There's an article on Steve Kilbey in our local Sat paper this weekend. (+pic) When I get a minute I'll scan it for you.

Ooooh! Thanks! You're so sweet. I really look forward to seeing that. There's usually some comment in an SK interview that makes me laugh.
__________________
indra is offline  
Old 01-08-2006, 01:42 AM   #292
Blue Crack Addict
 
the rockin edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: tomorrow's just an excuse away
Posts: 26,816
Local Time: 03:21 PM
i forgot about this, i got the stuff you sent me indra but i haven't listened to it all yet of what i have listened to reptile (live) was good

i will finish listening to the rest of it and let you know what i think soon
__________________
the rockin edge is offline  
Old 01-08-2006, 02:18 AM   #293
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by blueeyedgirl
Had a Choich nostalgia trip last night, or this morning. Every summer, one of the music vid shows on telly here show old episodes from the 80s from "Countdown", THE great Oz music show. And who should be on, on 8 September 1981 but the verrry young Choich miming along to "Too Fast for You" in front of a rather disinterested studio audience. The Choich were wearing full make up and SK was wearing a rather fetching dark shade of lippy to match his eyeshadow. Oh and a very nice jacket and tie. Jangly guitars, harmonies and lippy And the really frightening thing is I in all probability was sitting at home that Sunday night in 1981 watching it.

They were utterly adorable then weren't they?

Apparently your evening was very similar to this Christmas at chez Kilbey:

Quote:
my mum came round yesterday
we watch a new dvd (the 80s sumpthin')
its got the choich
doin ungarded gnome tent
on countdown circa 1981
how excruciatingly awful
how hilarious and sombering
how everything and nuthin'


You know, come to think of it, I have some of those early (perhaps not quite 1981 early though) performances somewhere on a vhs tape someone gave me. hmmm...I'll have to dig those up and give 'em a look.
__________________
indra is offline  
Old 01-08-2006, 02:21 AM   #294
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by the rockin edge
i forgot about this, i got the stuff you sent me indra but i haven't listened to it all yet of what i have listened to reptile (live) was good

i will finish listening to the rest of it and let you know what i think soon

Slacker!!




The quality of the recordings isn't the best, and Steve's vocals tend to get lost in the mix, but they sounded great in the venue on the night.
__________________
indra is offline  
Old 01-08-2006, 02:24 AM   #295
Blue Crack Addict
 
the rockin edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: tomorrow's just an excuse away
Posts: 26,816
Local Time: 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra



Slacker!!




The quality of the recordings ins't the best, and Steve's vocals tend to get lost in the mix, but they sounded great in the venue on the night.
yep, i am a very good slacker

i've heard far worse bootlegs than this one
__________________
the rockin edge is offline  
Old 01-08-2006, 02:29 AM   #296
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by the rockin edge


yep, i am a very good slacker

i've heard far worse bootlegs than this one

I am too.

Yeah, I've heard worse too. One which was from a tour I would really have loved a good recording from. It wasn't that the sound was hideous, it wasn't all that bad actually, but there were people talking through the entire show! I wanted to strangle them and I was just hearing the recording.
__________________
indra is offline  
Old 01-08-2006, 02:34 AM   #297
Blue Crack Addict
 
the rockin edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: tomorrow's just an excuse away
Posts: 26,816
Local Time: 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra



I am too.

Yeah, I've heard worse too. One which was from a tour I would really have loved a good recording from. It wasn't that the sound was hideous, it wasn't all that bad actually, but there were people talking through the entire show! I wanted to strangle them and I was just hearing the recording.

i have a U2 bootleg where for 2 whole songs all you can really hear is someone arguing with security about what seat they're supposed to be in it really ruins the recording

i don't think i've heard a recording with people talking all the way through the show though
__________________
the rockin edge is offline  
Old 01-08-2006, 09:50 AM   #298
I Serve Larry's Stick
 
~LadyLemon~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Akron
Posts: 7,392
Local Time: 05:21 PM
Yeah, I know I'm joining this party a bit late. But I've always loved "Under the Milky Way"...and I finally got a copy of Starfish through our system at work (librarian here). So far I'm loving it! "Reptile" sounds very familiar...must have heard it somewhere before!
__________________
~LadyLemon~ is offline  
Old 01-10-2006, 04:30 AM   #299
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ~LadyLemon~
Yeah, I know I'm joining this party a bit late. But I've always loved "Under the Milky Way"...and I finally got a copy of Starfish through our system at work (librarian here). So far I'm loving it! "Reptile" sounds very familiar...must have heard it somewhere before!
Starfish is an excellent album -- I'm always amazed at how good it is when I listen to it. And you don't even have to be a big Church fan to appreciate and enjoy it.

Reptile was released as a single, and did get a fair amount of play on modern rock/alt. stations at the time. Now it sometimes gets played on those "remember the 80's" type programs.

And it's a killer live song.
__________________
indra is offline  
Old 01-10-2006, 08:50 AM   #300
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Song of the week "sentimental" by Porcupine Tree
Posts: 3,854
Local Time: 09:21 PM
hnmm
__________________

__________________
AcrobatMan is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com