The everything you ever wanted to know about The Church but were afraid to ask thread - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2005, 07:21 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra
Oddly, I find I don't listen to Gold Afternoon Fix all that much anymore. It's not really one of their best although it will always hold a special place in my heart for being such a faithful companion for so long.

Overall, I'm more a fan of their mid-period to recent work than I am of their very early work. I hardly ever listen to their first two albums Of Skins and Heart and The Blurred Crusade, although there are songs I like on both, and I find Sometime Anywhere substantially weaker than most of their others. Of course, by SA the band was down to SK and MWP (although a drummer named Tim Powles worked with them on it and soon officially joined the band -- I think he's the perfect drummer for them. Plus he can produce their albums! A major plus on their budget.). PK did rejoin the band in the mid to late 90's, which restored much of the classic "Church" sound (and got them to tour again as a full band).
*Nods* Okay. What kinds of things make you not like those particular albums?

I know I've heard a few songs off of Of Skin and Hearts, but I can't for the life of me remember what they are right now. They play them sometimes on the new wave music channel I listen to.

Quote:
I have high hopes for the new album, as I like their newer work as well or better than their older material. I've been really pleased with most of their several years and feel they are reaching new artistic levels. It's not really radio friendly, but I find it excellent.
That's good to hear...improving with time, then, huh? .

Also, heh, I can understand about the "not exactly radio-friendly" thing...some of my favorite artists are the same way. Barely any airplay, if any.

And VertigoGal, "Under The Milky Way" is a very good song .

Angela

Old 07-26-2005, 07:31 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal
I'm going to buy a CD this weekend...and as much as I still need to get October (I'm such a bad U2 fan ), I think I might try one by these guys. So which album should a newbie such as myself start out with. I've probably heard Under the Milky Way somewhere, but didn't know who it was by, but that's about it. So reccomend away! But you can only choose one.

btw, you probably kinda answered this question earlier in the thread, but I haven't slept in over 40 hours and all the words are bleeding together...no way I'm reading this whole thread.
Cool! If you can find it (not all that easy, but I've seen it at Best Buy and Borders and the like. Places like Walmart do not carry The Church -- they don't sell well enough) the best choice for a newbie is Under The Milky Way: The Best of The Church. It has 17 songs -- a pretty excellent way to get aquainted with their music. Not quite sure I agree with the last song on there (it's from SA, one of my least favourite albums), but otherwise a nice selection.

Old 07-26-2005, 07:34 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:03 AM
cool, thanks.

If I decide to get a proper album, which one would you reccomend first?
Old 07-26-2005, 07:46 PM   #19
genius of compression
Forum Moderator

Re: Re: Re: The everything you ever wanted to know about The Church but were afraid t

Quote:

They have...El Momento Descuidado is due out in the US today I think.
That's weird, I didn't know it wasn't out here yet. I got it from emusic a little while ago. Like a dipshit I keep listening to Under The Milky Way.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:51 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie

OK. I'll try the best of. (Clever of you to get the Neil Young reference in there)
Old 07-26-2005, 07:52 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal
cool, thanks.

If I decide to get a proper album, which one would you reccomend first?
Starfish. An excellent album.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:54 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
OK. I'll try the best of. (Clever of you to get the Neil Young reference in there)
I was just listening to it recently (it's on their album of covers Box of Birds ) and just kept hitting repeat.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:57 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Re: Re: Re: The everything you ever wanted to know about The Church but were afraid t

Quote:
Originally posted by neutral

That's weird, I didn't know it wasn't out here yet. I got it from emusic a little while ago.
Perhaps because it was already available in Australia? I'm not really sure.

Do you like it? They recorded it over a weekend -- one or two takes max for everything.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:34 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:

I was just listening to it recently (it's on their album of covers Box of Birds ) and just kept hitting repeat.

OK. Both best of and Box of Birds are in my Amazon cart as we speak. Waiting until after I make my next mastercard payment.
Thanks for the lyrics. I liked them on paper. Worth a try to hear the CDs.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:41 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint

OK. Both best of and Box of Birds are in my Amazon cart as we speak. Waiting until after I make my next mastercard payment.
Thanks for the lyrics. I liked them on paper. Worth a try to hear the CDs.
Cool. Think I should hit the guys up for a cut of the profits?
Old 07-26-2005, 09:42 PM   #26
genius of compression
Forum Moderator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The everything you ever wanted to know about The Church but were

Quote:

Perhaps because it was already available in Australia? I'm not really sure.

Do you like it? They recorded it over a weekend -- one or two takes max for everything.
So far I really like most of it. God, his voice (their? ) is so great, and after listening to this I feel that his voice was a little overpowered or got a little lost in the mix on other albums and it sounds great on this. I'm not exactly an expert on the other albums so that might just be me though.

I particularly like The Unguarded Moment, (although I find one part of it extremely distracting ) Almost With You, Metropolis, A New Season and Invisible so far. They're so melancholy that it's almost overwhelming. The album really makes me to drink for some reason though.

I love Till The Cows Come Home, at first listen it just sounded like an I love/I miss you song but then as it goes on it seems like the narrator's mood goes back and forth between to to

There are a few tracks I'm not crazy about. November I just cannnot seem to get into, not keen on Between Mirages.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:43 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by bonosgirl84
i know very little in what ways you are personally involved with the band/steve's art.

can you tell me more about that?
I'm not really involved with the band, except that I know people who are and so am able to help keep watch for certain activity, such as the guy who was attempting to sell a burned copy of their just released DVD. Granted, one copy of a burned DVD isn't going to make or break them, but it's just best to stop the activity cold. So if I see something like that I contact one of a few people I know who can put a stop to it.

Now on the subject of Steve's art, I am fairly deeply involved. Two years ago I bid on a painting by Steve (self portrait) that had been used on the cover of one of his solo cds. I lost that auction by one Australian dollar, but was offered the opportunity to have SK paint another painting for me. Of course I accepted the offer (it turned into a triptych ) and soon had my paintings. SK was finding that he was really enjoying painting, so there was a steady stream of work up for sale and I found I was really enjoying buying the paintings.

Eventually I began chatting with SK online (in a chatroom for Church fans), often about his art and I got fairly comfortable talking to him that way. When the band toured the US last year I got to meet him in person and talked to him for quite a while after one of the shows. Then after the tour we started communicating via email and I started buying most of my paintings directly from SK (before the sales were run through the little indie label his brother operates).

I finally got up the courage to ask if he'd be interested in allowing me to set up an exhibit of some of his art at a small gallery run by the arts coop I'm in. He agreed and put up a mix of original art I owned (of his, of course -- we had prints and cards available for sale of most of those) and original art he sent over. The show did pretty well (even had people come from out of state to see it ) -- sold a nice amount of stuff, so I was pretty pleased. Here is a photo tour of the SK exhibit

So I'm sitting here on night in early January (probably posting on this very board) when my cell phone rings. It's Steve Kilbey...I was shocked! Turns out one of the people who came from out of state to see the exhibit wanted to carry some of SK's artwork at his shop. SK, not being all that interested in the business side of things, asked me if I wanted to be his art rep. So I'm SK's art rep. He makes the paintings and sends them off to me and I take care of everything else. I get the paintings photographed, set up to make prints and cards, have set up a website for SK's art, and handle all sales and shipping. Plus I get first crack at every new painting.

We talk on the phone every couple of weeks to bounce around ideas and just keep in touch. In fact we just had a nice conversation last night -- we're planning for world domination!
Old 07-26-2005, 10:11 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Harry Vest
Great band!!!!!
And to think they've almost been around as long as U2.
Have you heard "Isidore"?????????????????
It's Steve Kilbey and some other guy.
Sounds like a Church album. Check it out.
Another great one is simply titled "Jack Frost" - it came out in the late 80's early 90's.
Yep! Love Isidore...even named one of my cats Isidore. The other guy is Jeffery Cain formerly of Remy Zero. The Isidore project got it's start when Cain gave MWP a cd of some instrumental tracks for SK (kind of as a thanks for the inspiration kind of thing) after a Church show in LA in the late 90's. SK, not liking his other musical choices that evening popped that cd in...and loved it. Wrote lyrics to one of the songs that night and left a message the next morning for Cain that if he could arrange for studio time SK could cut the vocals that day. Cain arranged for the studio, but had other commitments so Kilbey cut the vocals without meeting Cain. That song is "Transmigration" on of my favorites on the album.

Over the next several years Cain work make instrumental tracks in LA and send to SK in Australia. Kilbey would then write the lyrics and record the vocals. The two met only once prior to when Cain went to Sydney in late 2003 to mix the tracks, and hardly ever corresponded about the material. Each guy did his own part of it without interference from the other.

I love that album. And I hear that Cain is working on tracks for Isidore 2. Yippee!

Jack Frost -- a collaboration with Grant McLennon (of the Go-Betweens), SK and GM did two Jack Frost cds -- the self titled one and one called Snow Job. Both excellent. I do believe that the two had a falling out however, so I thing there will be no more Jack Frost projects.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:15 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by inmyplace13
Under The Milky Way is the only song I really know of, and only because of Donnie Darko

Donnie
I've actually not yet seen Donnie Darko, but do know that in the director's cut version UTMW which was used in a party scene was replaced by Echo and The Bunnymen's The Killing Moon -- also a great song, but damn it that's UTMW's spot!
Old 07-26-2005, 10:33 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
So are they really religious, or did they just like how it sounded?

Not religious. Especially not western religions. SK has described himself as Hindu/Buddhist/agnostic/not Christian. But he uses loads of religious imagery of all types in his lyrics.

I think they picked the name because it sounded slightly naughty without being totally obnoxious.