The everything you ever wanted to know about The Church but were afraid to ask thread - Page 18 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2005, 08:46 AM   #256
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:45 PM
just read interview with saints singer who thanked MWP for leaving and turning saints into a 3 piece as it has turned him (Chris Bailey) into a lead guitarist.........
when are church playing adelaide again? I am drunk and have not much sleep as i have just come off a late shift that crossed over into an early shift and would realy like to know so i can get my ticket!!!! I love the internet!!!! it will organise my life for me????

Old 11-23-2005, 12:18 PM   #257
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by reptile
just read interview with saints singer who thanked MWP for leaving and turning saints into a 3 piece as it has turned him (Chris Bailey) into a lead guitarist.........
when are church playing adelaide again? I am drunk and have not much sleep as i have just come off a late shift that crossed over into an early shift and would realy like to know so i can get my ticket!!!! I love the internet!!!! it will organise my life for me????
I'd like to read that Saints/Bailey interview....

Here's the Adelaide info:

ADELAIDE, SA - Wednesday 14th December
THE GOVERNOR HINDMARSH HOTEL, 59 Port
Rd. Adelaide. Phone 08 8340 0744.
Support is Curio.
www.thegov.com.au/

And if you go, check out the SK prints at the merch table, damn it!

Old 11-24-2005, 12:22 PM   #258
ONE
love, blood, life

Holy crap! Stevie K has a blog!

The musings of the Stevester. How fun!

http://<a href="http://www.stevekilb...gspot.com/</a>
Old 11-24-2005, 01:36 PM   #259
War Child

Local Time: 01:15 AM
OK, I have a question...

Can you explain the doctrine of Transubstanciation?

EDIT: oops, wrong "Church"
Old 11-24-2005, 03:35 PM   #260
ONE
love, blood, life

Looks as if I screwed up the blog addy, so I'll try again.

http://www.stevekilbey.blogspot.com/
Old 11-24-2005, 03:44 PM   #261
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Hoodlem
OK, I have a question...

Can you explain the doctrine of Transubstanciation?

EDIT: oops, wrong "Church"
ummm... no. but I can sing it (in the Tom Lehrer song "Vatican Rag") although I'm sure that would offend someone.

(actually I can only sing the word transubstantiation, not the definition....)
Old 12-01-2005, 04:12 AM   #262
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

ummm... no. but I can sing it (in the Tom Lehrer song "Vatican Rag") although I'm sure that would offend someone.

(actually I can only sing the word transubstantiation, not the definition....)
I cant even speak the word, never mind sing it!

Just read SK interview in local street music mag...he is keeping the 'this record is for making love to' references going!!!

INdra, if only i could do anything remotely smart with this machine i would send you the Chris Bailey interview and the above mentioned SK interview....

Am planning to purchase my Church ticket on monday after queing for U2. Am not expecting i will have to stand in line twice
Old 12-02-2005, 01:28 AM   #263
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by reptile

I cant even speak the word, never mind sing it!

Just read SK interview in local street music mag...he is keeping the 'this record is for making love to' references going!!!
Well...he and his wife did just have a new baby, so I guess he knows what he's talking about....

Quote:

INdra, if only i could do anything remotely smart with this machine i would send you the Chris Bailey interview and the above mentioned SK interview....
Is there any way you can get hard copies of the interviews? I'd be happy to email my addy and send you some money to cover postage and copies etc. for them.

Quote:

Am planning to purchase my Church ticket on monday after queing for U2. Am not expecting i will have to stand in line twice
Opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of venues certainly! At least you don't need to worry about good seats or bad seats for the Choich.

Do you like the have an idea of the setlist ahead of time or not? If you do, I'll post what they have been playing...otherwise I'll just let you be surprised.

Oh, and in addition to the 25th anniversary shirt (in black) they also have an El Momento Descuidado shirt in red and a Starfish shirt in white. Also at the merch table there are cds, poetry books and pamphlets, posters (I think), and prints.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:01 PM   #264
ONE
love, blood, life

AAAHHHH!!! I've been DYING to tell someone this news since Sept. 16th but promised not to say (or write anything). And I've been a really good girl. But now it's out, so I can say it now. YAY!

Actually, I'll let the article (From the Melbourne paper The Age) say it for me.....

Quote:

Church on a mass mission

By Peter Ker
December 14, 2005

One of Australia's most enduring bands, the Church, will play for the masses at the Commonwealth Games opening ceremony.

Secrecy cloaks both the opening and closing ceremonies, which have a combined budget of $50 million. But The Age can reveal the involvement of the Church, who rose to prominence in the 1980s with hits such as Unguarded Moment and Under the Milky Way.

The band recently celebrated their 25th anniversary and will launch a new album, Uninvited, Like the Clouds, in March.

The opening ceremony will be held at the MCG on March 15, and the closing ceremony on March 26.

Yesterday members of the Church were unable to confirm their role in the Games. "As far as I know we are not competing in any events," joked Tim Powles, drummer, pianist and producer.

The Church will arrive in Melbourne within the next 24 hours for gigs at the Corner Hotel in Richmond tomorrow night, and a sold-out appearance at The Famous Spiegeltent on Friday.

The signing of the Church to the ceremonies program has re-ignited concerns in artistic circles that Melbourne 2006 organisers may be trying to bully performers into working in the two ceremonies for no payment.

The Church were reluctant to perform for no fee but agreed to an "improved" offer. That offer remained unconfirmed yesterday, but Melbourne 2006 chairman Ron Walker was adamant that just participating in such an event was incentive enough.

"No professional performer is being paid," he said. "It's not exploitative at all. It's a case of performers serving their country and having the honour of serving their country in the same way the volunteers are serving their country."

The Media, Entertainment and Arts Alliance ruled out a blanket ban on performers working for free at the ceremonies.

I'm so excited for them -- it can expose them to so many people, and if even just a fraction like them enough to check them out further...

Interestingly, but typically, SK was both excited and a bit torn about it. Excited by the potential exposure, obviously pleased to have been picked, but still somewhat suspicious of "the man." I found that incredibly endearing.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:41 PM   #265
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Hey, how exciting for you and Church.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:26 PM   #266
Acrobat

That is brilliant news!!

I wonder what they will play??

Some obscure b-side probably

Or maybe a cover of a Jet song
Old 12-15-2005, 01:34 AM   #267
Refugee

Local Time: 03:15 AM
Sorry, just posted in wrong thread
Old 12-15-2005, 06:35 PM   #268
War Child

Man, this thread will never die.

Ok, I'll pose a question then.

In your opinion would, "When You Were Mine" rank as an upper third, middle third or lower third song in the Church catalog and why?
Old 12-15-2005, 06:40 PM   #269
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 02:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Layton
LOL, it won't-but meh, that's okay, if you love a band, feel free to ramble on about them as much as possible, I say .

*Likes "When You Were Mine"*

Also, indra, neat news there about the Church playing at that ceremony .

I still have yet to listen to some of the stuff I've been sent. Got so caught up with school and everything, blargh. But I'm free now, so....

Angela
Old 12-16-2005, 04:07 AM   #270
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Layton
Do you want it to?

And it's over halfway to the number of posts needed for automatic closure, so it should eventually get there....

Quote:
Ok, I'll pose a question then.

In your opinion would, "When You Were Mine" rank as an upper third, middle third or lower third song in the Church catalog and why? [/B]
Ack! Why couldn't you have asked this about "Almost With You?" That would have been soooo easy to answer...it's such a great song.

But you didn't... you asked about "When You Were Mine" so here goes. (Mind you this is just really a matter of what I like and what I don't.)

Middle third.

A big part of that is because I haven't really listened to it all that much (spent a few hours this evening listening to The Blurred Crusade -- and realised I still need to get the remaster of this. I'm such a bad Church fan... ). I became a fan of The Church with Starfish in 1988/89, bought a few of their albums over the next several years (as they came out), but never got into their back catalogue. Actually, I don't recall knowing they even had a back catalogue as I just bought what the stores I went to had, and these stores didn't have much of a selection (and I didn't read any of the music mags either...never did really like them). I only got the early cds a few years ago, so the songs are actually relatively new for me.

Another big part is that I'm a huge fan of their more recent work. Although I adore several of their earlier songs (and play Heyday from 1986 a whole lot), I find that their more recent work resonates more strongly with me. They've been playing together for 25 years (core group anyway) and with other bands before that, so they've grown and developed a lot in those years. I find their newer work has benefited from that. And Steve's voice sounds awesome now. I think he's one of the few singers who sounds better older than he did when he was young.

"When You Were Mine" is unmistakably The Church. The Blurred Crusade was the album where they really found "their" sound. And the lyrics are interesting, not just your typical "you screwed me over you bitch" lyrics (but is actually exactly that ). I like that.

But what holds it back for me is that overall the song sounds "young" and SK's voice is a bit affected (which does add to the "young" thing). And the music is more simple (and less lush) than much of what they do now. It just doesn't quite measure up to so many other of their songs for me. Odd that I do like "Almost With You" so very much as it is on the same album, but I think it benefits from having been reworked a couple of times (on on SK's Acoustic & Intimate cd and also on El Momento Descuidado.) It got updated and I think that helps with it's placement (as I do like the A&E and EMD versions better than the original one). I can probably name four or five of their albums on which I like every single song better than "When You Were Mine." I do suspect that it would come alive when played live -- "You Took" sure as hell does!

And it doesn't get dropped to the lowest third because that section has those inevitable "what were they thinking?" songs like "Maybe These Boys" and "Busdriver" most of the songs with MWP and PK on vocals, and most of the songs on Of Skins and Heart, which I just can't seem to get into that much.