The everything you ever wanted to know about The Church but were afraid to ask thread - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2005, 11:18 AM   #241
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:33 PM
the Go-Betweens got the Aria.

I can handle that as they were my second choice.

Wonder if any of the guys from The Church went to the ceremonies? From what I heard, Peter and Tim wanted to, but Steve and Marty didn't. Typical.

Old 10-23-2005, 12:00 PM   #242
ONE
love, blood, life

Also, although I know most don't give a crap, Steve is a new papa yet again. Newest member of the family is a little girl named Scarlet, born just this past week.

Congrats Steve and Natalie!

Old 10-23-2005, 05:48 PM   #243
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 10:33 AM
Aw, shame they didn't win, indra. But meh, yay for them having been nominated anyway.

And yeah, congrats to the couple on their new baby! That's awesome .

Angela
Old 11-02-2005, 03:07 AM   #244
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra
A full electric tour to support the Uninvited, Like The Clouds cd (due out in early Feb.) will follow and will also include the US and some European dates.
WAIT A MINUTE! They're coming back to the US? I gotta pay closer attention.

I haven't bought a Church album in a few years. What have I missed?
Old 11-02-2005, 03:15 AM   #245
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by cleazer
WAIT A MINUTE! They're coming back to the US? I gotta pay closer attention.

I haven't bought a Church album in a few years. What have I missed?
Yup! They are.

What was the last album you bought by them? They've released seven cds from 2002 to now. Now not all are tourworthy major releases (and of course, major is a relative term...), but they've been very busy guys over the past few years.

Hey, someone else went and dragged this thread back up!! Even more bonus points for you cleazer.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:53 PM   #246
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra
What was the last album you bought by them? They've released seven cds from 2002 to now.
The last 2 cds I bought from them were After Everything Now This and the single for Numbers.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:42 PM   #247
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by cleazer
The last 2 cds I bought from them were After Everything Now This and the single for Numbers.
OK. I love AENT.

Since then they have released:

- Parallel Universe -- the AENT songs remixed plus a bonus cd with five or six tracks left off AENT. Probably best for completists.

- Forget Yourself -- studio album released in 2003 (in AUS) or 2004 (US,UK). They toured for this one, and a lovely tour it was too. Good album, much heavier and raw than AENT.

- Beside Yourself -- Outtakes from FY. Very hard to find as it was only given limited release of something like 500 copies. I think they are having another run manufactured. I really like this one, some excellent songs. I think it's well worth getting if you can find it. (SK did the paintings on the cover and booklet)

- Jammed -- 2 long instrumental tracks -- The Sexual Act and Interlock. Essentially jam session...not quite as free form as Bastard Universe (the Hologram of Baal bonus disk). I think it's only available from the band's website or at shows.

- El Momento Descuidado -- A poor Spanish translation of The Unguarded Moment, this cd is an acoustic reworking of nine Church songs along with five new ones. Yep, The Unguarded Moment is one of the oldies to get the treatment! I think it's an excellent release, and I highly recommend it. Kilbey sounds great! (SK also painted the portraits on the cover)

- Back With Two Beasts (aka Jammed II) -- more jam sessions. This is what was posted on the official Church site about it:

strange new record
from another universe
from the other tomorrow
songs spells fragments
brand new stuff
music singing
guitars!
hear the drums beat and the bass throb
oh those heavy light words
oh those cascading electronic mists
tune in
in wonder
from the ultc sessions baby
alright!

I think it is also only available from the official site or at shows. Got mine on order! (it was just released)

- And coming soon (SK said in a couple of weeks, but who knows) is the Block EP. Block is the first song off Uninvited, Like The Clouds, which is set for a Feb. 2006 release. The EP is supposed to be Block and a couple other songs. Also has a Kilbey painting as the cover.

- Uninvited, Like The Clouds -- set for a Feb 2006 release, with a tour to follow. The best guess I get now for a US tour is late March/April.

oooh! and Starfish, Gold Afternoon Fix, Priest = Aura, and Sometime Anywhere were recently re-mastered and re-released. I think all of them have some bonus material.

And you also might want to check out the Jeffery Cain (of Remy Zero)/Steve Kilbey collaboration called Isidore. If you go to the Isidore website you can stream the whole album.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:57 AM   #248
ONE
love, blood, life

The ARIA award nomination might have had some positive benefit for the band after all.

Just heard that their gigs in Noosa and Katoomba are sold out and that tickets to the show in Brisbane are nearly sold out. I know the venues are small, but other than the SOH shows I don't recall this happening on the FY tour in 2003/04.

Old 11-05-2005, 05:47 PM   #249
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:03 AM
Yes, but what about the truck stop, er, Roadhouse?????
Old 11-06-2005, 12:30 AM   #250
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by blueeyedgirl
Yes, but what about the truck stop, er, Roadhouse?????
ummm...why do you think I posted their schedule here? All you Aussies are supposed to fly all over the country going to Church gigs ensuring sold out venues!

Besides didn't you know that's what the hold up is on the U2 tour? They (U2) said "if The Church isn't able to sell out their measly Roadhouse venues, we sure aren't going down there!"

So get to it folks! The U2 tour depends on it.

(think anyone's gonna buy that?)

Old 11-06-2005, 12:52 AM   #251
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Yes, ma'am!!!!!!
Old 11-06-2005, 08:38 AM   #252
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Wow, you've got to admire the longevity of this thread. Still enjoying the CDs, Indra. Glad you introduced.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:45 PM   #253
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint

Wow, you've got to admire the longevity of this thread.
Ah, the power of one deranged, er, I mean devoted fan.

Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint

Still enjoying the CDs, Indra. Glad you introduced.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:25 PM   #254
Acrobat

Just heard that Marty Wilson Piper plays on the new (reformed) The Saints album!
Its not a long trip from The Church to become a Saint i guess!?

Old 11-22-2005, 09:53 PM   #255
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by reptile
Just heard that Marty Wilson Piper plays on the new (reformed) The Saints album!
Its not a long trip from The Church to become a Saint i guess!?

Perhaps MWP could get a gig advertising The Church of the Latter Day Saints, eh?

Yeah, MWP did play on The Saints new album, plus he toured as part of the band for most of this year. But that is pretty much finished now. MWP also played a bit (a very short bit) on Rob Dickinson's (of Catherine Wheel) new album.

here's a snippet of an interviw with MWP where he mentions those two.

Quote:

Ori: How much input did you have with the Saints. Will you be joining them for more gigs etc?

Answer: Nope.

Ori: Nope on all accounts?

Answer: (Laughs) I hadn’t a lot of input into playing with them – I mean I may have played guitar on the album, the songs were written before I got there, but I did write … co-write one of the songs on the record. Bailey and I wrote a song together which got on the record. I always knew that there was going to be a conflict of interest, as there was with All About Eve, and, as it happened, ah the Saints are in Europe at the moment, I’m doing certain shows at the Sandringham Hotel and, when the Saints are touring Australia, The Church are too and my allegiances are to The Church.

Ori: How did you get together with Rob Dickinson? By the way, the Ocean track is the best song on the album.

Answer: Right – yeh – it’s a good song – Rob and I have been friends for a few years. He came to see one of my shows once with somebody we knew, a mutual friend and we got introduced …. One day I was walking down the street in New York and there he was standing on the corner with Tracy Bonham – do you know who that is? – he was living there when I was living there and we hooked up and we spent a bit of time together. We didn’t actually write any songs together but we kinda hang out whenever we see each other, and he would just invite me to the studio to play solo on a song and …. you know … and that was the one … I played solo on that track and it ….. I love that track, it’s great ….. I love that song …. and the solo is short but sweet (laughs) – yeh.

Ori: We timed it – it’s like 18 seconds.

Yeh – that’s right – it’s about 18 seconds but it’s a beautiful 18 seconds (laughs).

full interview

There is also a short new interview with SK...pretty much limited to his art and acting. My favourite bit:

Quote:

and i discovered one thing: you can take drugs and paint you can take drugs and write songs and sing' em, you can take drugs and write poetry - however you cant take drugs and act....
I bet he tried though....

complete interview