The everything you ever wanted to know about The Church but were afraid to ask thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
indra said:

Trust me, I'll make sure you know when tickets go on sale. :)

Oh, thank you my friend :wink: I'd really appreciate that!! I know it's silly, but I must confess, I get just a tad obsessive about buying concert tickets ... especially if it's for my favourite boys :love: (oops, can I say that on a U2 forum?! sorry guys!)

But you're right though ... they're quite a mysterious band :), in that they're tours always seems to come out of the blue! I've found with the last few Aussie tours, there's barely been any news or advertising about them .. so thank goodness for the churchband newsletters and hotelwomb and such for keeping me up to date!

Yeah, I guess too, that there won't be an initial mad rush for tickets ... but since the Melbourne gig this time 'round will be a seated/theatre venue, I'd like very much to get good tickets (preferably front row centre, heehee!) Or, off to the side, close to Marty, naturally :wink: Though, I remember back in May 02, I went to a glorious Church concert at the beautiful Athenaeum Theatre (in Melb) ... Indra, it's just (one of my) favourite venues ever!! .. I managed to get front row tickets for myself, my sister (who adores them too) and two pals. And I managed to get these seats a few days/a week after they went on sale (had to wait for payday, haha!) .. which really surprised me! It was probably one of my favourite Church gigs (plus, it was just a couple days before my birthday, so it was also my favourite b'day present too!)

Oh yeah! I just had to say ... miloguidosmom !!!! I knew it!! I was thinking about it last night, wondering who you could be :wink: and then I visited hotelwomb this afternoon and it just clicked when I read that little bit to check out your website that showcases SK's art works!! I just though .. oh yeah! of course! And, don't laugh! But when I first began lurking/joined hotelwomb, I thought your name was nice and thought, oh! cute names for your children!! :) Though, my cat is my little bundle of joy too, haha!

Wow .. that must of been some adventure, having no hotel rooms in Milwaukee and having to sleep over at the club they were performing at :huh: !! (I've just got this funny mental image of tents and sleeping bags!!) Though, I'm sure they took it in their stride and were lovely guests (and it sounds like they had a lovely host as well!) Which reminds me, I must go and check out SK's blog .. I haven't visited for a little while! Though, when I do, I seem to be stuck there for hours! Sometimes, I have to catch my breath because his writings are just so .. incredible!

Oh, I was reading about the SF gig I think, and a couple of people mentioned that the guys seemed pretty knackered .. so I figure it must of been because of the 'sleepless in Milwaukee' night! Then again, it was a pretty extensive tour too, wasn't it? Even just looking at all those dates (and thinking about the travelling inbetween) makes me feel tired!! As exciting as it is, it must be a hard life sometimes, 'eh??

Anyway, better stop now before I keep waffling on :wink:

Thanks again Indra!

From what I've heard not all of the contracts have been signed for the various dates so they don't expect tickets to go on sale for a few days or a week yet. Just keep watching for it though (and I will also. I might not be able to go, but I learn most of the details. :) )

I generally tend to aim for a spot between Marty and Steve. Gives me a great view of them and even Tim. I love the sounds Peter gets, but I must say the guy just doesn't look as if he's enjoying himself at all, and that doesn't do much for me. Marty shows everything -- when he's irritated you know it and when he's happy he just exudes absolute joy. Such fun to watch. And Steve! OMG, he was hilarious on this tour! He's wickedly funny and is now letting it all out on stage. A few times he had Marty just about rolling with his comments between songs. I really enjoy him.

SK used to come into the Church chatroom (Antenna) quite often when Forget Yourself came out and I talked to him quite a bit. Well in one of the first conversations I had with him I was there with my miloguidosmom name (I use another nick in chat and on his blog now) and he asked me if I was Italian and if those were the names of my children. :) I felt kinda bad telling him it was a cat! I really enjoyed some of those Antenna chats with him -- he's quite the cheeky fellow.

I'll post some more comments on the concerts and the tour adventures and surreal moments in a day or so.

And if you let me know your email addy I can email you and blueeyedgirl some of the things that I really don't want to post quite so publicly. It isn't bad or anything...it's just stuff that is better told in an email. :)

OH! and did you hear that Under The Milky Way was used on Australian Idol? Just a day or so ago.... SK did a whole blog entry on it. Funny as all hell, and a dead on accurate understanding of the whole Idol deal. Here's a link to the entry in question: click here

And there's a rough live video of a laid back, kinda jazzy version of Reptile from the Milwaukee show here Of course it sounded soooo much better at the actual show, but I love being able to hear it again. :)

Ummm .. geeze, I don't seem to be having much luck with posting a reply here to you Indra! Last night I wrote you a lovely long one, but as I was about to submit, my internet connection logged out, so I reconnected and in doing so, manage to lose the darn post!! Grrrrrrrrr .. now I've just tried to repeat myself as best I could and I've lost that one too!!! :mad:

-sigh- never mind ... Just wanted to let you know you can write me any time you like, I'd love that! My email addy is

garlandsofflowers@yahoo.com.au

hmmmm .. wonder where I got that name from :angel:

I'll try and write some more tomorrow :) Hope this one is more successful!

Thanks for all your updates and info! I'm going on a little holiday next week (Monday) up to Sydney and Byron Bay too :hyper: and get back the following Sunday ... so I'm hoping I'll get the chance to go online at some stage so that I can keep up with the news (about the ticket info). Fingers crossed!

I could talk under water about all thing Church-y, but right now I'm soooo tired!!!

More soon!

Tickets go on sale Sept. 6 through Ticketek. :)

More comments coming soon -- should have written them up tonight but I goofed off instead. :mad:

:bow: oh bless you Indra, you're a real gem!!! :hug:

now I am

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

This is brilliant news, because I'm due to head off to Sydney on Wednesday morning, so I'll have enough time to race down and buy tix at the box office!!!!! Soooooooo happy right now! Oooh, I have a feeling I'm gonna get good seats .. well ... fingers crossed anyway!!

Thank you sooooo much for letting me know, I so appreciate it!

I so hope I win the lotto tonight, haha! I really need it at the moment because I've splashed out big for my little holiday .. I'm actually going on a bit of a road trip with a couple of girlfriends to catch a few gigs of one of my fave people, Jeff Martin (he is the ex-singer/guitarist of a Canadian band, the Tea Party). Anyhoo, so I'll be going to his Melb gigs on this Mon/Tue night, followed by Sydney (on Thursday) and then the Byron Bay on Friday!! So excited .. it's going to be a mad week!

It was so strange, but I was in the city the other day, doing some shopping and I saw this girl in the store that I was in ... I've seen her at a few of the most recent Church gigs that I've been to! For a moment there, I felt like going over and saying .. hey, you love the Church too! ... but then, I didn't want to scare her :wink:

Anyway, I'll let you know when I get my first row tickets, haha :)

Thanks again Indra!!

INDRA !!!!! :wave:

Guess what I bought just now!??!?!?!?!?!

FIRST ROW CENTRE-LEFT TIX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

arrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhh!

Mission accomplished, haha :wink:

Now I'm off to the airport to catch a flight to Sydney, woo hoo!!!!

This is the life :lol:

Chat some more soon!

TranceEnding said:
INDRA !!!!! :wave:

Guess what I bought just now!??!?!?!?!?!

FIRST ROW CENTRE-LEFT TIX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

arrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhh!

Mission accomplished, haha :wink:

Now I'm off to the airport to catch a flight to Sydney, woo hoo!!!!

This is the life :lol:

Chat some more soon!

You did great!! I just saw some guy post on HW that he just bought fourth row center seats for Melbourne. So it's good you didn't wait. :)

Just thought this photo showing the glamourous musicians and crew would get you all even more excited for the electric tour. :wink:

2006churchbandandcrew.jpg

left to right: Tim, Petra, Peter, Marty, Tiare, Davida, Rob D., Steve

TranceEnding said:
haha, good photo :D

what's Steve thinking about in it?!?!? :wink:

God, I can't wait for Oct 14 now!!! :dancing:

"Huh? What am I supposed to do?"

Looks as if he just woke up to me! :)

Gah! The Aussie tour is starting and I still haven't really written much up on the US shows I saw. I am such a slacker! However, I'm going to send the only people who read and comment on here a quick email in just a bit so be looking for it!

This was in the SMH today. I thought it was kinda interesting.

When the Church played @Newtown in December they were dressed all in white, like a middle-aged version of some Jonestown cult. The audience response was suitably cultish, rapturous in parts, as the band trawled through 25 years of music. Retrovision was the order.

An acoustic retrospective tour can mark a career end. It's the precursor to entering the rock retirement home of Mel and Kochie programs.

What happened next for the Church, though, was Uninvited, Like The Clouds, a vigorous new album that tapped into their past while feeling fresh and contemporary. It didn't suck at all.

And that surprised some people.

"Uninvited, Like The Clouds was an enigma in that it was surprising and not surprising," says bassist-singer Steve Kilbey. "It's like, 'I'm surprised by this but it sounds a bit like the old stuff, as well.' That's not a bad thing to pull off.

"It's not as good as, 'Wow, I've never had anything like this before.' But that's pretty hard to do and still maintain some continuity."

However, continuity doesn't mean forgetting a few lessons. For example, you're not likely to see the Church play an outdoor festival any time soon.

"I think, for the Church, [festivals] have always been a mixed sort of thing," Kilbey says. "I don't think we have the ability to win over huge numbers of people who don't know anything about us and aren't willing to. We need some kind of understanding before you see us.

"Some people get it immediately, but others, in those kind of [outdoor festival] conditions, we don't rivet. And daytime is always hard for us; I don't think our trip works in broad daylight."

In the dark they're still attracting new and, heaven forbid, younger fans. On their recent Australian tours, they've played to paunchy fortysomethings along with plenty who weren't born when the Church started 27 years ago. Some of these "youngsters" have even been asking for songs from the vaults.

"It's so hard when you've been around this long ... there are all those records, all those songs, and it's so hard to figure out what to play," Kilbey says. "In the old days this kind of thing would perturb me and I would sit around and analyse it.

"But nowadays there are people there who, for some unknown reason, when they hear Unguarded Moment it makes them happy and I just feel churlish at this stage of the game denying them that."

It's not surprising the Church has a direct influence on others. Does Kilbey hear that influence?

"Only once. I was driving and a song came on Triple J and I thought this guy has just copied everything from me and my lyrics. Then they back-announced it and [he] was once a member of [my brother] Russell's band, the Crystal Set. That's the only time I've gone, 'Jesus!' I didn't mind ...

"But apart from that, I never hear it, which is strange for someone who is renowned as such an egotist as me."

The memory gives Kilbey an idea.

"Every now and then somebody has a stab at Under The Milky Way. This is a terribly mercenary thing to say, but I wish one of these huge-selling, f---ing arena bands would chuck one of my songs on their next platinum album. We need John Butler does the Church. We need Missy Higgins does the Church. We need Rick Rubin discovers some old great rocker and fills this incredible new album up with Church songs. That's what we need."

:hmm: Doesn't Rick Rubin know a certain "huge selling, fucking arena band?" :hmm: :lol:

I'd LOVE to read Stevie's blog on THAT album! I'm sure he'd have LOTS to say! :wink:

Church at the Gov

Its tonight!

Am meeting BEG and others (yes weve managed to drag a few along with us this time!) soonish for pre-show drinks before attending the Church gig at the Gov. South Australia.
Ive just purchased the new album and guess what? My cd player packed in! Refused to play it! I did hear some songs last night however as they were on tv; Live at the basement, in sydney. It certainly does seem like a nice meld of old and new church sounds. One song in particular was ripped straight off of 'Seance' Im not sure what the new song was called but listen to 'I wonder why' from seance........

:wave:

And it was last night!!!!:D

2 hours and a teeny bit and I thought it was great! A few technical hiccups to start with (and I was watching MWP with interest here :wink: ) but once they sorted out "how to rock'n'roll again, how to rock, how to roll" or words to that effect (and some wag I happen to know said something about "what about the 'n' ???" :tsk: :lol: , they really got into it. I thought the band were on good form and really enjoying it, and yes MWP is GREAT fun to watch! I had no idea SK was feeling poorly, he seemed fine. And I didn't realise they were the multi-intrumentalists they are, MWP on drums! SK on keyboards! MWP on bass! TP on guitar! PK on guitar! :D

Great set list too, and Reptile second song up! (someone was a happy chappy :D ) And the new single is brilliant! Should be a hit!

Yep, good night! :up:

blueeyedgirl said:
And it was last night!!!!:D

2 hours and a teeny bit and I thought it was great! A few technical hiccups to start with (and I was watching MWP with interest here :wink: ) but once they sorted out "how to rock'n'roll again, how to rock, how to roll" or words to that effect (and some wag I happen to know said something about "what about the 'n' ???" :tsk: :lol: , they really got into it. I thought the band were on good form and really enjoying it, and yes MWP is GREAT fun to watch! I had no idea SK was feeling poorly, he seemed fine. And I didn't realise they were the multi-intrumentalists they are, MWP on drums! SK on keyboards! MWP on bass! TP on guitar! PK on guitar! :D

Great set list too, and Reptile second song up! (someone was a happy chappy :D ) And the new single is brilliant! Should be a hit!

Yep, good night! :up:

I'm so glad you had such a good time!

They do seem to be enjoying themselves a lot more now and that is really cool to see. I heard that MWP and PK were especially delighted to finally plug in the amps and let rip! I think it's been a couple of years since they last did an electric show.

Steve has really learned to turn on when he gets out on stage. At one show I went to a cop walked in during the show and walked along the side of the crowd (and he also later came down into the band's lounge area and just kind of looked over the place. Kinda creepy). The next day SK asked me. "did you see the cop walk in last night?" I said Yeah, I did! And I know this sounds horrible but my first thought when I saw him was 'Oh christ, please don't arrest Steve...at least not until the show is over!' " :shifty: And SK said "That's just what I thought too! That just killed the vibe." :laugh: But you know, it didn't. For SK it very well might have, but you couldn't tell from the way he performed (and that's what I told him).

The instrument switching is pretty cool, isn't it? Seems as if they did it even more for you guys than they did for us! I remember watching one show and thinking "how many bands can do this? Especially in a live situation?" I mean they do it all the time when they are writing the songs and recording, but playing the various instruments live is very impressive.

Only approximately 73 hours and 20 minutes to go now

ahahaha :wink:

Have just been watching (again) the Live at the Basement gig that I taped off the telly ... very excited now! :hyper: :hyper:

TranceEnding said:
Only approximately 73 hours and 20 minutes to go now

ahahaha :wink:

Have just been watching (again) the Live at the Basement gig that I taped off the telly ... very excited now! :hyper: :hyper:

I'm so excited for you! I have to respond to your email (and reptile's and blueeyedgirl's too) I've been such a slacker!). I need to get to bed (have to get up in just a few hours :yikes: ), but will try to get it to you tomorrow.

Oh and did you see where SK mentioned PV (aka Pablo aka Paul) in his blog? (it was a few days ago) PV is very very nice -- you know, now that I think of it he was the very first Church fan I met in person. :)

I just watched the Live at the Basement gig tonight too! I talked to SK tonight and he asked what I thought of it (talk about pressure! :yikes: ). I told him two things -- first that it obviously isn't going to completely capture the feel of actaully being there, and secondly that I thought that they were better by the time I got to see them towards the end of the US tour. I was very pleased when he said "Yeah! The Basement show is like giving someone food from a recipe you haven't quite perfected." I wouldn't go quite that far as I really enjoy it, but they are even better since then.

And I learned that there is something which might be very interesting in the works...in fact I think they are supposed do much of it tomorrow! Of course it might never get released, but it sounds really cool. So even though I can't tell you what it is right now, send good vibes off so it turns out well and gets released! :yes:

indra said:

And I learned that there is something which might be very interesting in the works...in fact I think they are supposed do much of it tomorrow! Of course it might never get released, but it sounds really cool. So even though I can't tell you what it is right now, send good vibes off so it turns out well and gets released! :yes:

uh-k ... mind boggles, haha:ohmy: .. but .. OK! I'll do my best :hyper:

*sending good vibes* zzzzzzzzz

Sorry Indra ... I've been out in the sun today (it's sooooo hot!) so I think my brains a bit fried at the moment!

Yeah, I think I know what you mean about the Basement gig .. but hey, I'm easily pleased :wink: But you're absolutely right, nothing touches seeing them in person!

Tell Steve though next time that this time 'round, the tears were welling up when he started singing 'Invisible' on the Basement gig :wink:

Actually (I feel like such a traitor!) but the show did appear to start off a bit wonky ... but I could see myself that as it progressed, it did get better.

But yeah, absolutely, I can imagine by the time you got to see them recently, they would of been in full flight!

I just sort of cottoned on that the Melbourne gig will be the final one on this tour! So it might be something extra special!! I am soooo looking forward to it, believe me!

Oh yeah .. you can write me anytime you like, that's fine! I know what it's like to be super busy (and a super slacker, too, haha :wink: ) I'm looking forward to it anyway!!

Cheers my friend :)

arrrrhhhh .. going to check Steve's blog now :) Sorry, forgot to mention that bit! It's such a dangerous place to go :wink: I get stuck there for hours!

Is it just me , or was that quite possibly one of the most INCREDIBLE concerts performed last night in Melbourne?!?!!? :ohmy:

There's so much to say and yet, when you come to say it, you're speechless!

Yes! It was THAT good .. but good is not a good enough word :wink:

Thanks guys! You've finally rendered me speechless! haha :wink:

More later .. feeling too overwhelmed at the moment!

Oh! I'm so thrilled the show was so good. I saw your comment on SK's blog too. :)

You know I think I've seen and heard more of the "best ever!" comments in the past year or so for the guys. It's as if they are really coming into their own now and in a lot of ways I really think they are. I remember standing in the back of the hall in Cleveland in August and being kind of overwhelmed by how much I love this band. It was quite an experience. :)

And in the Church triva department:

Steve's little girls Eve and Aurora had birthdays on Oct. 15. They are seven. And his newest little one, Scarlet, has her first birthday on Oct. 17.

So happy birthday to the doodles and the baby bumper! :)

Today's blog made me cry! (again!) but it was funny too :wink: Still feeling a bit overwhelmed!! Yes, definately some magic in the air in Melbourne!

I am sooooo there on Friday night anyway! :wink:

Me too, everytime I see the guys, my heart fills up with so much love for them, like you re-discover it all over again! It's just that this time 'round, it's been magnified a million times!

Awwww .. that's the sweetest .. SKs bubs birthdays in the space of a few days! I so love their names too! :)

ha, thinking about my next comment for the blog .. but it's hard to find good enough words!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom