The everything you ever wanted to know about The Church but were afraid to ask thread - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2005, 05:39 AM   #166
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:59 AM
Hey they are playing The Church on my local station
Sounds like a cover.......

an old Monkies song?

Old 08-19-2005, 10:54 AM   #167
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by reptile
Hey they are playing The Church on my local station
Sounds like a cover.......

an old Monkies song?
How cool. Yeah, they do The Porpoise Song!

It sounds embarrassing when you say it ("Oooh, they're covering a Monkees song!" ), but it's really a pretty cool little song.

It's on the Box of Birds cd. All covers.

Old 08-19-2005, 06:02 PM   #168
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra
Yeah, they do The Porpoise Song!

It sounds embarrassing when you say it ("Oooh, they're covering a Monkees song!" ), but it's really a pretty cool little song.

My mom's a big Monkees fan. I've heard the original version of that song and actually don't mind it-remember my mom playing it a lot when I was little.

I'll have to track this down, so she can hear that cover . Plus, I'd be interested to hear their other covers, too.

Angela
Old 08-19-2005, 06:48 PM   #169
ONE
love, blood, life

These next few photos are for all of you who prefer Steve sans facial hair.

teenaged Steve

I guess he was really interested in this little critter. The critter, however, seems less than impressed...

awww.....
Old 08-19-2005, 07:19 PM   #170
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 09:29 AM
Hehe, cute pics of him as a kid . I like seeing musicians when they're children, I don't know why-guess 'cause it's interesting to see them go from that to what they are now or something .

The teenaged one's nice, too.

Angela
Old 08-19-2005, 07:48 PM   #171
Refugee

Local Time: 08:29 AM
I'm sick of hearing about the church.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:50 PM   #172
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by boosterjuice
I'm sick of hearing about the church.
Don't read the thread then.

Thanks for keeping this thread at the top of the page though.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:56 PM   #173
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Oh, hell. I'm enjoying hearing about the band and I've never heard one of their songs yet. There's something compelling about someone being passionate about something. Actually, all this discussion is going to help me when I get the CDs. I love background, context.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:02 PM   #174
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
Oh, hell. I'm enjoying hearing about the band and I've never heard one of their songs yet. There's something compelling about someone being passionate about something. Actually, all this discussion is going to help me when I get the CDs. I love background, context.
I should see what I can dig up on the recording of Box of Birds.

You know I can really like a band and know next to nothing about them...as I did for years with The Church, or as I currently do with Art of Fighting and Gersey. But to really talk about them much beyond, "I like that song" I want to know a bit more about them.

Just like reading the Neil Young thread is making me more interested in hearing and seeing more of his work than I now know (which is mostly just the popular stuff).
Old 08-19-2005, 09:15 PM   #175
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Sometimes, I like to know where a musician is coming from when I listen to the music, particularly when someone is not straight rock and roll. (Like, I don't really need to know where the Stones are coming from. I like their music, I just don't feel the need to go much beyond that--although some background on their slower stuff was interesting).

Sometimes the worst person to explain the music is the musician. I've loved a song, heard a musician explain it and could never listen to it the same way again. But when you can pick up on references in songs because you know something of the musician's background, that's pretty cool. I love finding the pieces of the puzzle.

So anything you can dig up on "Box of Birds" would be appreciated.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:57 AM   #176
Acrobat

Quote:

How cool. Yeah, they do The Porpoise Song!

Hey, its not a put-down, The Monkees where cool and some of those songs are actually classics in my book.
A lot of that period of the 60's is seen as throw-away and lightweight, but just listen to the tunes! Bands would kill for tunes like that these days......we could certainly do with more of it on the radio.....
Old 08-20-2005, 01:14 AM   #177
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Hey, its not a put-down, The Monkees where cool and some of those songs are actually classics in my book.
A lot of that period of the 60's is seen as throw-away and lightweight, but just listen to the tunes! Bands would kill for tunes like that these days......we could certainly do with more of it on the radio.....
Oh, I loved The Monkees! I used to watch the show all the time. I was completely smitten.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:21 AM   #178
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

My mom's a big Monkees fan. I've heard the original version of that song and actually don't mind it-remember my mom playing it a lot when I was little.

I'll have to track this down, so she can hear that cover . Plus, I'd be interested to hear their other covers, too.

Angela
I'll include that cover when I get the bootleg for you.

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel
Hehe, cute pics of him as a kid . I like seeing musicians when they're children, I don't know why-guess 'cause it's interesting to see them go from that to what they are now or something .

The teenaged one's nice, too.

Angela
I like them too. I like seeing the normal human side, and it doesn't really get much more normal than those photos. I mean just about everyone has similar photos when they were young. Kid sitting in his room playing his guitar, little kid standing there for a snapshot.

I still really like getting the human side. About SK, I find it interesting knowing that his mum still tells him what to do (lately it's been "do the nostalgia tours" ), and that he still ignores her. That his brother comes over and looks at a group of paintings he's just done and is really pleased with and says "you should change your signature" and that's it (siblings! ). That he worries that his teenaged daugthers will run into "guys like me!" That he was thrilled to see a baby octopus in the kiddie pool where he goes to swim every day. That when a small group of us fans sent him some gifts for his birthday he was so excited and happy. He said it was like Christmas when he was little -- when you'd get fun, exciting gifts, "not just socks and undies," which for some reason made me laugh really hard.

All things that are so completely normal... And yet, I can't even imagine being able to come up with the songs and poetry he does. Makes for a fascinating dichotomy.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:25 AM   #179
Acrobat

Quote:

Oh, I loved The Monkees! I used to watch the show all the time. I was completely smitten.
Mike Nesmith was my fave, he went on to write some pretty cool songs on his own, very funny guy.
And of course his mother invented liquid paper:
hmm:
Old 08-20-2005, 01:27 AM   #180
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Mike Nesmith was my fave, he went on to write some pretty cool songs on his own, very funny guy.
And of course his mother invented liquid paper:
hmm:
Yeah, it was kinda nice they actually had talent.

I didn't know that about his mum. The things you learn.....