The everything you ever wanted to know about The Church but were afraid to ask thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course he looked good...he's MWP...he always looks good. :wink: ...well, he does look as if he's had a few hard nights in the new band photos. But in person he's a total flirt. :yes:

I did hear he was thinking about doing the poetry readings for the earlybirds. And I'm with you on wanting to hear him read his mum's letter...he's done it at other shows, so it's either one hell of a letter, or she keeps sending him doozies. I've heard Mum's letter is hilarious. :yes:

And I know this guy who is writing kind of a biography of SK for his PhD dissertation. Of course, SK attention hound that he is, is in his glory. Rob (the writer) said he was amazed at how open SK was about all sorts of stuff. I think we're getting a taste of that candor sometimes in SK's blog. ...but back to what I wanted to mention... in getting background info for the bio, Rob had some conversations (at first in person and then via email) with Steve's mum. He said she was a trip! Great at getting him all sorts of info and dishing the dirt on SK. Gotta love mums!

But think about it...I imagine both Steve's and Marty's mums have to have pretty good senses of humour. Those two guys are total flakes. Wonderful guys...but flaky as all hell.

Last edited:
yeah, i noticed......still, i like toast......
they say man cannot live on bread alone, but toast, now thats different....mmmmmmmmmm toast.......

Yeah! I just read a fan review of a recent show (over the weekend I think) and she said Marty was looking mighty fine. Just figured you needed to know these important things. :wink: You have to give me all the details, ya know! :yes:

Oooh! and I got to read a brief clip from the SK bio. It recounted the first meeting of MWP and the rest of the band (well mostly Steve). Marty introduced himself after a show and chatted with Steve for a little while. After he left, Steve announced Marty was the new guitarist in the band. He'd never heard him play, just thought he looked the part. :ohmy:

And you know, although I'm a Steve girl through and through (ya never would have guessed that, would ya? :wink: ), I have to agree. To me Marty has perfect rock star looks. He's great fun to watch play (I've only seen him perform with the band, never solo)...he really gets into it and has a great time. And fortunately for The Church he soon developed great playing skills to match his looks. :yes:

Sounds good. :drool: The pub where he's playing tonight is a nice, tiny, intimate space. :drool: No prizes for guessing what I'll be doing...:wink:

Unfortunately, reptile may not be able to join me this evening. :( Then again, he would be cramping my style :D

blueeyedgirl said:
Sounds good. :drool: The pub where he's playing tonight is a nice, tiny, intimate space. :drool: No prizes for guessing what I'll be doing...:wink:

Unfortunately, reptile may not be able to join me this evening. :( Then again, he would be cramping my style :D

But wasn't reptile supposed to help you wrestle MWP in your car after the show? :wink:

I'll be thinking of you during the show. And making this face. :madspit:

We need some Choich love here too, damn it! :grumpy:

blueeyedgirl said:

Manhandling :hmm:

I guess if you have no reptile you'll just have to womanhandle Marty. Good times for all! :sexywink:

Love you too! :D

I'm just cranky because y'all seem to be getting all the Choich lovin' lately and there is no word on any for us right now. :sad: I really am thrilled you're going to get to see Marty. I'm just pouting a bit.... :reject:

Sending good vibes your way:yes:

Thanks! :)

indra said:

I'm just cranky because y'all seem to be getting all the Choich lovin' lately and there is no word on any for us right now. :sad: I really am thrilled you're going to get to see Marty. I'm just pouting a bit.... :reject:

Word on the street is some Choich luuurve for the US possibly in July. And before that, some solo MWP luuurrrvvve.....:D

(and no, no news on what's happening in Sydney on the 27th, I asked but he wouldn't spill :mad: )

blueeyedgirl said:

Word on the street is some Choich luuurve for the US possibly in July. And before that, some solo MWP luuurrrvvve.....:D

(and no, no news on what's happening in Sydney on the 27th, I asked but he wouldn't spill :mad: )

oooohhh!! Yay!!! I'm sooo happy right now. :hyper:

He wouldn't tell even after you had him tied up and stuffed in the back of your car? Damn. He's more tough than I thought. :wink:

...so, how was the show?

I tell you, it was an effort to get him in the back of the hatchback :wink:

Anyway, the show, MWP on a very gaffer taped 12 string acoustic for the whole show.
Lots of chat while he retuned the thing between songs.
Poetry interludes.
Nice black shirt :cute:

Some highlights: He said early on that being in such an intimate space was like seeing your mother naked (which set off one audience member on an interesting tangent...:wink: )

Why croissants are Austrian, not French.

Mozart.

His 19 marriages. :wink:

Some songs: Hopes and Fears, Chromium, Alex Chilton's "Thirteen" :drool: , Disenchanted, some Steve songs (which "Steve won't play anymore and he can't anyway, cos they've got some really complicated arpeggios for a bass player":lol: )and a bunch of Mood Maidens songs, but without the Mood Maidens who couldn't make it. :(

Oooh, and the best of all, the letter from his Mum!!!! :happy:

That MWP show sounds as if it was so much fun. Someday I will manage to see one. :yes:

Uh, blueeyedgirl, I just got off the phone with SK and while we were talking he got another call. He checked it and then continued with our call, but he told me "that was MWP. Where ever he was there was all this yelling and screaming."

So I just have to know, what were you doing to him! :ohmy:

:wink: :D

And I can't believe it...we talked for over an hour, and I still forgot to ask what the big deal is supposed to be at the end of March for them. :mad: Oooh and he is going to be doing a solo show in Sydney on April 1st. I figure since nothing else of any interest is going on in Sydney that evening all Sydney area Interferencers should go check him out. :wink:

Last edited:
Noise? I have no idea what SK is talking about :shifty: :wink:

Well, no doubt the mystery of the 27th will be unveiled soon. Funnily enough I will be in Sydney on April 1 but I will be otherwise occupied seeing some Irish foursome......:hyper:

blueeyedgirl said:
Noise? I have no idea what SK is talking about :shifty: :wink:

:up: You go girl!

Well, no doubt the mystery of the 27th will be unveiled soon.

It was today -- it's their new album launch 20th in Brisbane, 27th in Sydney, and 28th in Melbourne. Attendees get a special edition cd with songs not otherwise available. :mad: (ah well...maybe they will be the current equivalent of "Maybe These Boys" and "Busdriver." I never did care for those...)

Funnily enough I will be in Sydney on April 1 but I will be otherwise occupied seeing some Irish foursome......:hyper:

Wait a minute... You would give up this:

me
on my own
stripped bare
in a way youve never imagined ( :shifty: thank god he's not been privvy to my imagination... :reject: )
an evening with me
just you and me
and some people called the ordience
please come a long
otherwise i will feel pathetic in the empty venue
singin my maudlin tripe
to no one
the only trouble really is
that
although i am goode at many things
and the best at others
unfortunately
standing there with an acc guitar
and singin' by myselves
isnt one of them
cmon
we can admit it
ah go on say it
im not much chop at it
no folks
this aint false modesty
its just that
it aint my thing
so please come along
for 15 aust bucks
even if im not very goode
its still a bargain

to see some Irish foursome? :ohmy:

What are you thinking? :D

Somehow I think Stevie needs help in the shameless self promotion department. That was just sooo pitiful. :rolleyes:

Gee, I dunno, I obviously bought that ticket while in a fog of delusion....:crazy: when I coulda been seeing SK being "not very goode" :lol:

And as for this young lady:

me
on my own
stripped bare
in a way youve never imagined ( thank god he's not been privvy to my imagination... )
:shame:

:wink:

Aussies, tune in to the opening ceremonies of the Commonwealth Games tonight (8:30 pm Melbourne time -- so 8 pm Adelaide time :wink: ). You don't have to stay for the whole thing -- the good stuff's supposed to happen about 8:50pm (8:20pm for Adelaide -- see I'm looking out for ya! :yes: )

:D

No need! i'll be home, its my day off!

I will even stay out of the pub just to make sure i see it! (now thats fan commitment for you)

Cant wait Indra, it should be quite surreal.

And then you both have to tell me about it -- I can't see it here! :sad:

I have someone in Canada trying to tape it for me...but I'm not sure if CBC is going to show the whole thing. Soooo...if either of you would like to tape it for me (even though we have different formats -- hell, I'll buy an all regions player), that would be appreciated. And worth a "block" single/ep. :yes: :wink:

Well, it was certainly interesting! Had to sit through your usual opening ceremony malarkey (why is there always a kid in search of truth and innocence??? :huh: ) and then a mention of being under the milky way (cue manic search for "record" button :wink: ) Well, I think the Choich looked good, we only got a very brief glimpse before the focus returned to the arena. Where there were lots and lots of ballerinas in tutus twirling and blokes on motorbikes. :confused:

Still I got to tape a brief shot of the back of Marty's head! :lol:

Just read SK's blog, he sounds as enthused about the whole thing as I was! :wink:

Last edited:
I could just picture the look of Steve's face watching all that stuff going on. :lol: I loved his blog entry (and the ones leading up to it are great too -- Christ, every photo I saw of the Queen made me giggle picturing her bumming a few puffs of Stevie's spliff! :lmao: ), especially the Evie bit:

evie gets on phone this morning
we didnt see you dad
but you looked really good

Awww...how cute! :)

I did manage to find footage of their bit. click here

Someone timed it and said they appeared for all of 16 seconds. :happy: They did look good in those 16 seconds though. And the version of UTMW sounded great. It worked well with the orchestra treatment I think. But I still wish the powers that be in tv-land would have shown the band a bit more. I mean really would anyone really have missed seeing the dancers and motorcycles for 30-45 more seconds?

However, UTMW got played twice -- once during the ceremonies and once at the end as the tv folks we recapping the night, so that is excellent. And in just about article I've read on the ceremonies their bit was quite well recieved. Plus the song is on the cd of music from the ceremonies, so that should be good for the band's bank account.

So overall I'm happy with it. Good exposure for the band, and although there was plenty of cheesiness surrounding them, I think they managed to mostly steer clear.

Last edited:
i thought it was the best version of UTMWT i have ever heard. it had amazing power and grace without being over the top. well done boys but pity we didnt get to see you!
i bet you bleueeyed girl even found the back of martys head sexy :wink:

SK and MWP live on the radio. You can stream it too.

Friday 24th March - 3.30pm (but tune in at 3pm maybe)
Steve Kilbey and Marty Willson-Piper on ABC Radio National Sydney/CC Australia Radio 702
Drive with Richard Glover
Join them for a chat and the guys play a song for you
abc.net.au/sydney/richardglover/

sorry for the short notice (the few of you who are at all interested).

Should be fun. :)

Well, crap they are on NOW!

This thread is 8 months old and still kicking. :D

Last edited:
The latest album Uninvited, Like The Clouds is finally due to be released April 17!! Yay!!! It was only delayed a year or so once it was completed. :rolleyes:

For anyone who cares, those who pre-order it off the band's official site get to make MWP work. :wink:

The release date is 17th April 2006 but as a special bonus for earlybirds all pre-ordered copies of our new album will be FULLY AUTOGRAPHED and then personally packaged, sealed and posted by Marty Willson-Piper himself ON THE RELEASE DATE of 17th April!

Please note: Any other items included in the order will also wait until this date.

website here

Ah, and I was just wondering what had happened to this thread! :wink:

Do you think MWP might need an assistant? Then again, with all that repetitive movement he might be in need of recuperative treatment.....:hmm:

I started this thread last July 26th when I was frustrated to hear the release of new Church album had been delayed from Sept 2005 to Feb 2006.

Well...it's now April 18 and the fucking album has FINALLY been released! Yay!!!! This thread has had 2913 views and 356 posts (most likely most of those by me) and has been in existence nearly nine months now. Christ! I could have had a baby in that time. :ohmy:

So in celebration of the "well it's about damned time!" release of this album I'm including several snippets of reviews of it. (Most of these bits were ones which made me laugh rather than to most complimentary ones. I figure I like 'em well enough anyway and you can look for reviews on your own if you really care what reviewers think. :) )

So here goes.

Uninvited, Like The Clouds is apparently about the millionth album made by The Church. Apart from that one song, I’m not that familiar with them though. However, I have to say, I quite like this album. It’s got that nice melodic rock mixed with grumpy old man rock as well as a sort of ‘we still *heart* the 80’s because we made great music then’ thing going on.

...you can hear that raspy hardened old rock dude thing....

I like this next one because it could be good...or not. :huh: Particularly like the: "has everything an adoring fan could want, and all the ammunition a detractor could carry" bit. Actually I think this is quite accurate. If you like 'em, you'll most likely really like this album, if you don't like 'em, you'll find it pretentious dreck. :shrug:

The Church, like their namesake, are capable of both beautiful and terrifying things. Uninvited, Like the Clouds, their seemingly hundredth album since 1980,has everything an adoring fan could want, and all the ammunition a detractor could carry . Steve Kilbey, Marty Willson-Piper, Peter Koppes, and newest member Tim Powles have constructed a bloated, beautiful, unsettling storm of a record that manages to celebrate improvisation and songcraft without any favoritism, resulting in their most cohesive record since 1992's underrated Priest = Aura. Epic dreamscapes like "Block" and "Day 5" are as timeless as they are sonically progressive, but what rings truest about them is their affection for melody. Kilbey's laconic drawl has always been more of an instrument than a literary weapon, but his words -- despite their rambling, fridge-magnet dreaminess -- have always been in the service of the song. Even when they stretch their collective legs into the unforgiving world of pop, specifically on the "Metropolis-esque" "Easy," they maintain a definitive yet world-weary level of poise that can only come from the oldest of souls. Uninvited, Like the Clouds -- like 2003's Forget Yourself -- won't win the group any new fans, but it may be the just a shiny enough apple to lure the brethren back into the garden.

There aren't too many really bad reviews yet, but this is one. Still it's amusing. :)

God bless the Church, after a gazillion albums and who knows how much drugs, these guys are arrogantly as pompous as ever (note the title of the album), continuing that aweful sci-fi poetry that became a staple of their latter work. The first three tracks start off promising, Block could have been one of the throwaway tracks from Heyday, Day 5 a throwaway track from Gold Afternoon Fix, and Easy could have been another throwaway track from Heyday. The following song Never Before, a true stinker in the purest sense, and every other following song, kind of reminds me why old farts, that did way too much drugs, should walk away when the goings good.

...and you thought (hoped, prayed) this thread was gone for good.... Ha! No such luck, baby! :wink:

have heard 2 tracks so far on local station 3d (it has entered there top 20 this week) i thought one song was boring:ohmy: actually thought it was a church wannabe band until i listened closer and knew it could only be killbee...the other song was brilliant maainly because it sounded quite like and you r bird can sing from the beatles revolver album....ssorry this is rushed must go byeeeee

Loving and leaving us again, reptile??? :eyebrow:

Got the Block EP this week and I like very much, especially "locust", great guitar. Haven't yet seen the new album in the shops but will go look this week, methinks....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom