The everything you ever wanted to know about The Church but were afraid to ask thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
reptile said:

They wouldnt dare!.......

:mad:

Would they?

:sad:

Don't worry...I'll start a new one. :evil:

It will be a lot like The Church -- not all that many people will read it, but it will just keep on going it's merry way. :)

This one should be good for at least another few months though -- it's been going since July I think.

Thats the spirit!:wink:

We should have much to discuss, what with the new album and the commonwealth games gig coming up.:ohmy:

Imagine, The Church opening the games and U2 closing! Now theres a good rumour to get started!...

reptile said:
Thats the spirit!:wink:

We should have much to discuss, what with the new album and the commonwealth games gig coming up.:ohmy:

Imagine, The Church opening the games and U2 closing! Now theres a good rumour to get started!...

And Steve has a couple of side projects (a second Isidore cd and the Mimesis thingie) in the works. MWP always seems to have other projects going as well. So it really is a great time to be a Church fan. :)

SK would probably have a rant about your Commonwealth Games scenario.... :wink:

I know, thats what i love about the senario!:wink:

I cant imagine Bono not finding common ground with someone. I think little stevie might soften his opinion of Bono and the boys if he actually met them. I mean even Henry Rollins is saying nice things about Bono now!!:ohmy:

Roll on march.....:hyper:

reptile said:
I know, thats what i love about the senario!:wink:

I cant imagine Bono not finding common ground with someone. I think little stevie might soften his opinion of Bono and the boys if he actually met them. I mean even Henry Rollins is saying nice things about Bono now!!:ohmy:

Roll on march.....:hyper:

Steve not ranting is like Bono not pontificating -- it ain't gonna happen. :wink:

I'm not sure SK would soften his opinion of Bono (I'm not sure he wouldn't either, but he might well pick up some mannerisms -- I hear Stevie is a wicked mimic. :D

Hey reptile and Blueeyedgirl, it isn't the full band, but MWP is doing a series of solo shows that could be loads of fun. Here's the info for the Adelaide show.

MWP SOLO APPEARING WITH:
The Mood Maidens - Sophie Hutchings (Bluebottle Kiss/Hitchcocks Regret) on piano, Sophie Glasson (The Starboard Cast) on Cello and Amanda Brown (Go Betweens/Cleopatra Wong/Love Me) on violin.

WED MARCH 1ST - GRACE EMILY HOTEL, 232 Waymouth St. Adelaide SA
Tel: 08 8231-5500

Oooh, and the SK blog entry for today is hilarious. SK going bushwalking. :ohmy:

I'm not quite sure if he's the last guy you'd want for such a trip:

i have not brought any food
or useful utensils
others go to find firewood and fresh water
naughty sk espies a tube of condensed milk
mmmm aint seen one o those in ages
despite being a vegan
despite that this tube must be the milknsugar
for many cups o tea
sk despicably sucks most of it down
and has to guiltily bear blame
everytime cups of tea are made
and drunk
all very unmilky and sweet

or the first:

i score brownie points
for my big bag o pam and perrys finest
sk very proud of his bush skills
(can roll a spliff in wind
AND
rain
w/ filter and everything)

:D

(would it be considered weird if I said my goal in life is to share a spliff with the Stevester? :shifty: :reject: )

Last edited:
indra said:
Hey reptile and Blueeyedgirl, it isn't the full band, but MWP is doing a series of solo shows that could be loads of fun. Here's the info for the Adelaide show.

MWP SOLO APPEARING WITH:
The Mood Maidens - Sophie Hutchings (Bluebottle Kiss/Hitchcocks Regret) on piano, Sophie Glasson (The Starboard Cast) on Cello and Amanda Brown (Go Betweens/Cleopatra Wong/Love Me) on violin.

WED MARCH 1ST - GRACE EMILY HOTEL, 232 Waymouth St. Adelaide SA
Tel: 08 8231-5500

Oooh, and the SK blog entry for today is hilarious. SK going bushwalking. :ohmy:

I'm not quite sure if he's the last guy you'd want for such a trip:

or the first:

:D

(would it be considered weird if I said my goal in life is to share a spliff with the Stevester? :shifty: :reject: )

oh for fucks sake....i just wrote a shitload to be told i had used too many smilies...now ive lost my original post:madspit:

short version.....thrilled about MWP gig..i WILL be there!!...its bloody hot here (5.24am) and even drunk i cannot sleep...and now im pissed that ive lost my original and much wittier post...oh well

Love & Peace/....

reptile said:

oh for fucks sake....i just wrote a shitload to be told i had used too many smilies...now ive lost my original post:madspit:

short version.....thrilled about MWP gig..i WILL be there!!...its bloody hot here (5.24am) and even drunk i cannot sleep...and now im pissed that ive lost my original and much wittier post...oh well

Love & Peace/....

I've had the "too many smilies etc." thing happen to me too, and it's irritating as all hell. Especially because I don't think I use a ton of them either. :mad:

But I thought you'd be interested in the MWP shows. He's doing like a month and a half of them while he's in the country.

And it looks as if you guys will continue to get fairly regular Church shows coming through -- I spoke to SK a bit ago and he thought the band might be limiting it's shows to just a few cities -- Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, and Adelaide. So good news for you! :) (then again, the limiting thing could just be SK in a downish mood -- still it looks good for you.)

Oooh! I got the photos yesterday. Thank you! I'm thrilled. (and I still haven't sent the package off to you yet, but I plan to early next week -- yes, I am a slacker... :reject: )

Oooh, Marty is coming back!!!!!:happy: Maybe he's coming back just for me, he knows how I so wanted to be there in December. Me and Marty in the same room..... :hyper: :love: :hyper:

Oh yes reptile, I'll definitely be there for the music. :yes:

:lol:

From the photos I've seen, MWP is looking mighty fine these days.... :yes: And I think he's looking for a girlfriend...

(someone asked Marty where he lived and he said he was between homes right now. And he explained it by the following: "What do you call a musician without a girlfriend? Homeless." :) )

I have a friend who years ago dated a MWP wannabe...he did the whole dressing like him and working to look as much like him as possible. My friend just had a little girl....and named her Piper. She swears it was her husband's idea and not after Marty. :eyebrow: :wink:

Oh, and it looks as if the new Church release (Uninvited, Like the Clouds) is being delayed yet again. :( Not sure how long this time, but one site has it listed as being released in April. Damned thing has been finished for well over a year. Ah well, par for the course.

indra said:
From the photos I've seen, MWP is looking mighty fine these days.... :yes: And I think he's looking for a girlfriend...

:hmm:

(someone asked Marty where he lived and he said he was between homes right now. And he explained it by the following: "What do you call a musician without a girlfriend? Homeless." :) )

That sounds about right! :lol:

I have a friend who years ago dated a MWP wannabe...he did the whole dressing like him and working to look as much like him as possible. My friend just had a little girl....and named her Piper. She swears it was her husband's idea and not after Marty. :eyebrow: :wink:

I like her style! :up:

(Oh will someone please explain how you do the multiple quote thingy!!! :mad: Nevermind!)

blueeyedgirl said:

(Oh will someone please explain how you do the multiple quote thingy!!! :mad: Nevermind!)

This goes in front of what you want to quote:

(and look at my next post for the second half.... )

...and this goes behind what you want to quote:

[/B][/QUOTE]

:)

And just to help get you in the mood for the MWP solo shows, I've dug up this lovely blog entry from...well, someone named Merrick. I thought it was funny anyway...

I've made a real point of personally meeting artists whose work I really like. If you pick your heroes well they're never a disappointment in the flesh.

One time I met Marty Willson-Piper out of The Church, my all time guitar hero. Unfortunately I'd been awake for a day and a half and gone into an Amsterdam coffee shop, bought the strongest weed in the house had two hefty bongs and gotten so high that even though I was sitting down I had to hold on to the table. Two minutes later this, in turn, became too hectic and I had to put my face on the table.

At this point Marty came in, had a half hour conversation with the man beside me, then left. I couldn't move or speak the entire time. I was shunted to the gig round the corner half an hour later which in that state was quasi-religious experience. (The gig, not the shunting).

and a comment about the incident:

Marty Willson-Piper incident...

I'd like to point out that part of the time you were actually asleep with your head on his arm...He didn't seem to mind. He was quite toasted himself.

All concerned, were pulled up sharp when it was realised that Marty was due on stage at 11 pm. This was at about 11 pm....

You waster you...

(I think I might actually know the guy who made the comment)

Last edited:
Thats hilarious!!

Indra! Get your shit together and get down here for the MWP shows. Follow him across the greatest country on earth, carry his bags, and when you get to Adelaide, say hi.

Totally ( well mostly) off topic if you can view any of the Australian cricket in the usa, as we speak, you could also view my place of work, being the rather high and ugly mainly glass building at the north end of Adelaide oval, across the road from the magnificant St Peters cathedrel......

indra said:
And just to help get you in the mood for the MWP solo shows, I've dug up this lovely blog entry from...well, someone named Merrick. I thought it was funny anyway...

and a comment about the incident:

(I think I might actually know the guy who made the comment)

:lol:

And Indra, we await.....

And I thought you all might like the guys' new promo photo....

pic.gif

blueeyedgirl said:
:lmao: That's a shockingly good likeness of Marty!

That's just what I said when I first saw it! :lol: It catches the essence of the man..... :D

And Steve's spliff is a nice touch too. :)

Some of the actual new official photos are here:

http://www.thechurchband.com/mediagallery/index.phtml

The first three are the new ones. The ones right after that are from around the Forget Yourself release in 2003.

Its official...my (current) fave Church song is a number...

What an amazing song!!!!

But the title sounds like a postcode? Indra, what is the relevance of of the title 0408????

If you dont know, then nobody knows.....

....and i was just a stranger then........:drool:

reptile said:
Its official...my (current) fave Church song is a number...

What an amazing song!!!!

But the title sounds like a postcode? Indra, what is the relevance of of the title 0408????

If you dont know, then nobody knows.....

....and i was just a stranger then........:drool:

I don't know what 0408 means, and no one seems to be telling either. Bastards! :angry:

I do really like the self as a stranger imagery Steve uses:

And I was just a stranger then
Like a stranger, always strangest at home

He also uses it in "After Everything" -- one of my favourite lines:

A stranger's reflection in a stranger's eyes

Cool stuff.

A fan's review of the first Marty show on Jan. 29. Thought those going to see him might be interested.

Bizarre.

The Starboard Cast and The Mood Maidens were both no-shows in Brisbane, which was disappointing to say the least, and unexplained to say not much more. Instead we got something that may just have been better.

Marty opened for himself by doing about 45 minutes of poetry, including reading a letter from his mother, Dylan Thomas's 'Do not go gentle into that good night' - "Funny-looking chap, but chicks dug him", according to the website Marty had taken the poem from - some other covers (do poets call them cover versions?) and a good chunk of his own work. It seemed the theme of the night was 'misery loves company', hence Marty's comment that his own anthology was "full of poems about death".

After a short break, Marty came back out and rattled through a collection of old and new, borrowed and blue. I was lucky enough to sit through the soundcheck, so I can't be sure what got played when, but I heard Tristesse, Chromium, Spark, Disenchanted (!) and Field Of Mars (!!!) from The Church canon, as well as a smattering of solo songs, Noctorum songs, and about half a dozen unreleased songs - most of which I reckon I heard at the Mood Maidens gig I went to in October. Of the newies, check out Lullaby For The Lonely and Feed Your Mind as standouts. There was also a Big Star song whose title I can't remember.

Then after about an hour of twelve-stringing, we got something Marty said he hadn't done before - solo electric. The Troubadour owner, Jamie, collects guitars and Marty borrowed two for the show - a Jazzmaster which he proceeded to whammy-bar into submission, and a mongrel called an Old Kraftsman - a solid-looking hollowbody shaped like a Les Paul Junior. It had a really low grunty tone and growled like an overdriven bastard. Truly a sound I have never heard from MWP before. I think there were a half a dozen or so songs on the electrics, then he slipped back to the Sod Off and finished with Ugly And Cruel.

I am hopelessly vague with what he played on what. Luscious Ghost was on the Jazzmaster and he did Spark on the OK. Wreck was re-subtitled 'A River Shanty' and was strikingly sung a capella for one of the night's highlights. Hey There, I Don't Think So, Kiss You To Death, Forever, and You Whisper appeared as well. I think.

All in all it was completely not what I was expecting, but strangely satisfying nonetheless. I'm still a bit vague about the whole thing: maybe I should get some sleep.

And check out this site: click here for some live clips for 1990. They look so young.... Marty looks so pretty.... :wink:

Yes but did he look good????

I'll await reptile going into paroxyms of delight over all that geetar talk but certainly sounds like an interesting night. Wonder if we'll get some of that here, especially the reading of his mum's letter! lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom