The everything you ever wanted to know about The Church but were afraid to ask thread - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2005, 06:37 PM   #151
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:17 PM
Clever. Music on the cheap. Considering some of Neil Young's films, he would appreciate that.

Old 08-18-2005, 06:41 PM   #152
Acrobat

Local Time: 05:17 PM
Hey sounds like you really love this band.

Any reference points to discribe the band?

Phish cross with The Dead crossed with U2? Is that close?

Old 08-18-2005, 07:33 PM   #153
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Tarvark
Hey sounds like you really love this band.

Any reference points to discribe the band?

Phish cross with The Dead crossed with U2? Is that close?
Who? Me? A fan of The Church?

I really suck at describing music, but here goes.

Well all the guys were born in the 50's and grew up in the 60's and early 70's, so all that great music was an influence on them. The bands most mentioned are Pink Floyd and The Byrds (lots of jangly guitar early in their career, not so much now). Dreamy neo-psychedelia moving into space rock. Lush, melodic, melancholic. Space rock is SK's current favourite term for them, but when he said it MWP shot him the look, so they can't even decide what they are.

In the 80's they toured with Echo and the Bunnymen and that seemed to work well...the crowds liked both bands. So that might give you another reference point. The Cure and The Psychedelic Furs are also often mentioned as similar bands.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:36 PM   #154
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:17 PM
you were serious about dragging the Church thread up werent you?

I still havent got the Church cd (or any cd for that matter). I'm doing crew it turns out, and I have to pay for most of it, so that's eating into my cd buying budget unfortunately.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:04 PM   #155
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal
you were serious about dragging the Church thread up werent you?

I still havent got the Church cd (or any cd for that matter). I'm doing crew it turns out, and I have to pay for most of it, so that's eating into my cd buying budget unfortunately.

Oh yeah. I waited patiently for 18 months for someone else to start a Church thread, but no one did... So I guess y'all got stuck with my Church thread.

Besides, if I didn't keep dragging it back up, Tarvark would never have found it without search function.

You know if any of you would like a little Church sampler I'd be happy to make one up and mail it out. Just PM or email your addy to me and I'll get it out. My email addy
Old 08-18-2005, 08:11 PM   #156
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

that would be awesome but I don't think I could give out my address. it would be very difficult explaining that one to my parents.

yousend/its on the other hand...
Old 08-18-2005, 08:16 PM   #157
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
Clever. Music on the cheap. Considering some of Neil Young's films, he would appreciate that.
Yeah, I thought it was a pretty good idea. I need to dig up some Neil Young songs...between a couple of posts here and the NY appreciation thread I feel the need.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:20 PM   #158
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
that would be awesome but I don't think I could give out my address. it would be very difficult explaining that one to my parents.

yousend/its on the other hand...
Ah, gottcha. That's wise. I have a PO Box number for any dealings with people over the internet. And it's in another town too.

I've a really slow connection (dialup), but I've done a few things that way, so I'll pick out a few nice songs.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:45 PM   #159
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Oh once I move out I'm gonna have a PO box with a steady supply of bootlegs flowing in, I've got it all planned out.

don't worry about it if you have a slow connection, seriously, I have the same problem, takes forever to upload.

if you ever want to send a song, swimmerchikpdq@mail.com is my email (well, my music downloading,forum registering email )
Old 08-18-2005, 09:15 PM   #160
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Oh once I move out I'm gonna have a PO box with a steady supply of bootlegs flowing in, I've got it all planned out.

don't worry about it if you have a slow connection, seriously, I have the same problem, takes forever to upload.

if you ever want to send a song, swimmerchikpdq@mail.com is my email (well, my music downloading,forum registering email )
Ok, I'll send some off overnight and depending on how long it takes maybe a few tomorrow.

I'm moving (someday... I just wish I knew exactly when...it's like living in limbo) and when I do I'm gonna get a new pc (this one's as old as dirt) and a high speed connection.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:18 PM   #161
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

cool, thank you very much, I can't wait.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:08 PM   #162
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

Yeah, I thought it was a pretty good idea. I need to dig up some Neil Young songs...between a couple of posts here and the NY appreciation thread I feel the need.

I'm actually looking forward to hearing your band. You do get a cut right? Out of everybody you convince to buy an album. You make a good PR manager.

Ordered Under the Milky Way too. Having made a payment on my mastercard, I'm feeling righteous and greedy again. Besides I should hear their stuff, right?
Old 08-18-2005, 10:55 PM   #163
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint

I'm actually looking forward to hearing your band. You do get a cut right? Out of everybody you convince to buy an album. You make a good PR manager.

Ordered Under the Milky Way too. Having made a payment on my mastercard, I'm feeling righteous and greedy again. Besides I should hear their stuff, right?
I should get a cut. Maybe I can wrangle a spot on the guest list for a show or two when they tour here next. (especially since I lost my ticket to their Chicago show and had to buy a new one. Found it the next day.... )

I like your way of thinking re: mastercard. And yep, you should hear their stuff.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:59 PM   #164
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Good luck on the guest list, but hold out for the money.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:07 PM   #165
ONE
love, blood, life

^ Good advice!